• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Looks like this will be our biggest review yet. All but one member of the staff are contribution, plus one guest contribution.

1.3/10

Moxx19

Banned
Where do you find Blood to Salt? I remember getting it on my first playthrough but I can't for the life of me remember where. Or is all the gear just randomised?

legbone

summary of the wall of text below: should i play bioshock 2 (which i have never played) or play infinite again?

quick question guys. a little background first. i bought the first bioshock game at launch (got the big daddy and everything). i played about three hours or so and then just quit. it went onto my pile of shame. it just didn't grab me. so a couple of weeks ago i beat it to get ready for infinite. in a way i am glad that i hadn't played it so long ago. it made the similarities really stand out. anyway, i have beaten infinite (GOTY so far) and now am wondering if i should play bioshock 2. i have heard it is a good game just not great. also i am kind of dying to play minerva's den after vinny hyped it on the bombcast years ago.7 s

edit: loved bioshock by the way. i guess my 2007 self isn't as cool as my present self! :p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Whens it going up? Did you write it?

I'll be contributing my couple of paragraphs. We like to mix up the traditional review system a bit and not always do the "one person writes a feature", instead get multiple people contributing, either as a running dialogue or paragraph contributions with individual scores. For example, we had four people contribute to a Resident Evil 6 text review, and I did video reviews for Dead Space 3 and Crysis 3 with another person. I think it gives a bit more diversity in opinion, as it's more than just one person ranting about how good/bad something is.

I think our BioShock Infinite review has six contributors. Won't go up for a little while yet.

sn00zer

Looks like this will be our biggest review yet. All but one member of the staff are contribution, plus one guest contribution.

1.3/10

I assume this is a joke that would be down right disrespectful of a score

Also I thought the combat in this was great, never felt so mobile in an FPS before...I did miss the "set tons of traps up" preplanning of taking bid daddies down, but I think the mobility aspect was just a ton of fun

Andrew.

Banned
I'll be contributing my couple of paragraphs. We like to mix up the traditional review system a bit and not always do the "one person writes a feature", instead get multiple people contributing, either as a running dialogue or paragraph contributions with individual scores. For example, we had four people contribute to a Resident Evil 6 text review, and I did video reviews for Dead Space 3 and Crysis 3 with another person. I think it gives a bit more diversity in opinion, as it's more than just one person ranting about how good/bad something is.

Which is how it should really always be done.

Andrew.

Banned
I did miss the "set tons of traps up" preplanning of taking bid daddies down, but I think the mobility aspect was just a ton of fun

You can still set up traps for Patriots and Handymen. Make no mistake. It can be done and it is just as satisfying, if not moreso.

TheLawyer

Neo Member
I finished this a few days ago and I loved it. Even having had the ending spoiled prior to completion it still did not take away from the gravitas of the final scenes.

One thing that really brought the final few hours down for me was the final battle sequence mind. It felt inherently cheap and I felt it was poor design choice utilised for no other reason than to pad the final portion of the game out.

Other than that, superb game.

Muffdraul

summary of the wall of text below: should i play bioshock 2 (which i have never played) or play infinite again?

quick question guys. a little background first. i bought the first bioshock game at launch (got the big daddy and everything). i played about three hours or so and then just quit. it went onto my pile of shame. it just didn't grab me. so a couple of weeks ago i beat it to get ready for infinite. in a way i am glad that i hadn't played it so long ago. it made the similarities really stand out. anyway, i have beaten infinite (GOTY so far) and now am wondering if i should play bioshock 2. i have heard it is a good game just not great. also i am kind of dying to play minerva's den after vinny hyped it on the bombcast years ago.7 s

edit: loved bioshock by the way. i guess my 2007 self isn't as cool as my present self! :p

IMO Bioshock 2's reputation is way, way worse then it deserved. Yes, it's a cynical quickie sequel that our holy savior Ken Levine was not directly involved with. ~BUT~ It's still a damn solid game. And it's not like it was handled by a completely new team. It had a few key players from the Bioshock 1 team, most notably that it was directed by Jordan Thomas, the guy who designed arguably the best level from Bioshock 1, i.e. Fort Frolic. The DLC Minerva's Den is good too, though frankly I find it's being overrated these days. It's good, but I wouldn't say it's all that much better than the main campaign. Just shorter and more to the point.

tldr: sure, play it, it's good.

I think our BioShock Infinite review has six contributors. Won't go up for a little while yet.

What's the website?

I finished this a few days ago and I loved it. Even having had the ending spoiled prior to completion it still did not take away from the gravitas of the final scenes.

One thing that really brought the final few hours down for me was the final battle sequence mind. It felt inherently cheap and I felt it was poor design choice utilised for no other reason than to pad the final portion of the game out.

Other than that, superb game.

Winter Shield, Return to Sender, and Charge spam all make that battle pretty easy, even on 1999. Gotta work those skylines.

Cudder

Really? I never saw it and just hoped that I wouldn't fail.

To be honest I saw the bar on the right, I just thought for some reason it had to do with
Songbird being available, like a refill bar until you get to use him again
. I know there's a circular clock or something for that purpose, and it was confusing me how they weren't matching up lol.

Ce-Lin

I think I hate this game now, I try to play something else (my backlog of PC, PS3, 360, 3DS-DSi and Vita-PSP games is huge) and I do get bored instantly, I always end up replaying Infinite instead and slowly walking my way through it again... I mean I love it so much damn it, it has spoiled whatever other games I was interested in play next. Also the Shawn combo never gets old, can't wait for the DLC... literally, can't wait.

Where do you find Blood to Salt? I remember getting it on my first playthrough but I can't for the life of me remember where. Or is all the gear just randomised?

gear is randomised for a very good reason, if you don't get it after the ending visit the spoiler thread (I think you already have) to know that reason.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just want to say the art book is pretty phenomenal. Thanks to Shawn for suggesting/selling it to me.

51RgIPu3YVL.jpg

Fjordson

I would have loved to actively participate in the turmoil of the Vox Populi and the founders
This is my biggest nitpick with the game. Or maybe it's just a testament to Levine as a writer and Irrational as world builders.

I want more! I need to know more about Columbia. About how the city grew to what it is when Booker arrives.

I want to know about the other Founders, like Saltonstall, Marlowe, Vanderwald, Mr. Flambeau, etc. Who were they and why were they chosen? And what about Songbird? Who or what became it? And why is he so intensely protective of Elizabeth?

I feel like I knew more about the city of Rapture and its citizens at the end of Bioshock than I know about Columbia and its citizens after beating Infinite. I'm still amazed by the final product of Infinite, but I really hope we get some lore on Columbia and the founders with some of the DLC.

I'm fascinated by how much the game seemed to change over development. I thought the political battle angle they had going earlier on was pretty interesting. When Comstock looked like this:

358px-Comstock_Banner.png

But this is all just sort of nitpicking as a result of the final game being so interesting. I just hope we find out more in the DLC.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I really miss the little mod enhancements your weapons got in the first two Bioshock's. The little add-ons and visual changes and whatnot. I miss that.

Seems like a missed opportunity too. With all the Steampunk, idealism and Nationalism it could have made for some really unique and interesting visual enhancements to weapon upgrades. Both reflecting the Founders and upgrade changes reflecting the Vox's respective weapons.

Ce-Lin

Any rumors about Bioshock Infinite being ported to next gen systems?

a game this late wouldn't make sense financially, only a niche would buy a port. The PC version already looks next-gen enough, now give me the original Bioshock with this kind of textures, lighting and post-processing... let me play through it with Booker and Liz while using Bioshock Infinite weapons and tonics.

Probably as a game of the year edition with the dlc, but for the 2014 holiday season.

Not worth the wait IMO, the game is too good.

oh i already got it midnight launch for my ps3, i just wanted to make sure if irrational considered porting it over to next gen consoles, maybe like you said, a goty edition would be great.

Andrew.

Banned
Schyman really hit it out of the park with the soundtrack. That Songbird theme is just simply beyond incredibly great, along with dynamics of music during combat. It's perfect perfection.

DukeBobby

Schyman really hit it out of the park with the soundtrack. That Songbird theme is just incredibly great, along with dynamics of music during combat. It's perfect perfection.

Agreed. It's definitely one of my favourite game soundtracks. Much better than the generic 'epic' orchestral crap that's in most games these days.

PowderedToast

the progression between bioshock 1 and 2 is like fincher to spielberg

one is calculative and wants to trick you, the other is honest and wants to move you

DatDude

Banned
Schyman really hit it out of the park with the soundtrack. That Songbird theme is just simply beyond incredibly great, along with dynamics of music during combat. It's perfect perfection.

Really heavy "There Will be Blood" feel

Luv it.

Also, Elizabeth theme is just fucking beautiful to listen to.

The whole OST once again is a homerun like Bio1 was.

I only just started playing just now, but I got a chuckle out of seeing Rembrandt's The Storm on the Sea of Galilee hanging on one of the walls. It was famously stolen from a Boston museum 20 years ago, and currently under a major hunt by the FBI.

So far the game has been incredible, but duh, right?

Ce-Lin

I only just started playing just now, but I got a chuckle out of seeing Rembrandt's The Storm on the Sea of Galilee hanging on one of the walls. It was famously stolen from a Boston museum 20 years ago, and currently under a major hunt by the FBI.

this is why I wanted to be part of GAF, what an amazing find, I wonder how many of those "easter eggs" the game has, it can't be a coincidence.

Top Bottom