• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

DatDude

Banned
Yeah, that might have been it. The diaries are fantastic in both games, but they gave you such an amazing amount of knowledge and background on Rapture and certain characters in the first Bioshock. I didn't feel that as much with Infinite.

There really was no use for it in Infinite.... unfortunately

DatDude

Banned
I really love how the devs embraced the size and scope of a city in the sky. Lots of color and life going on in Columbia. They dare you to take it all in because its so damn beautiful. I pickced up Bioshock 1 and 2 duo pack a few days ago and I really don't like the dank and claustrophobic environments. :( It all is a reflection of themes being explored which is why I do tolerate it.

Yeah, something that I really started to hate after a few playthroughs.

Rapture just feels like such a claustrophobic, and dark hallway sometimes. It gets really depressing at points, especially after the clear blue skies, and just wonderfully bright colors of Columbia.

Duffyside

Banned
I wish Infinite had multiplayer.

The vision!

It's more like a team-based, first-person Smash Bros than just typical deathmatch. The goal is to knock the opponents off of Columbia. The players have a meter over their head, going from green to red, that tells you how easy it is to knock them off. This meter recharges over time, and is depleted with gunfire, plasmids, and whatever else is used, maybe turrets or killstreak-like-call-ins, like a Motorized Patriot or Mosquito. Obviously, people would be able to take a bunch of damage so the meter has more meaning.

But, the way you knock an opponent off isn't with a typical gun (though rocket-launchers and plasmids maybe would have an effect). There would be no weapon-switching and guns would be picked off of the ground (no loadouts/upgrading) classic-style. The primary tool to knock people off would be an "air blast gun," or something of the sort, which every player would have and would be used with whatever button was previously used to switch weapons (we'll say R2 in this case). This air-gun charges itself over time, building a more powerful blast, so there is a risk-reward in deciding when to use it. Use it early, and you may not have enough to knock your opponent off. Wait too long, and you may miss your shot and have to recharge all over again.

Obviously, if a person's "health" is in the far red, and is hit with a full charge, they're knocked back 100 yards or more in a joyous moment of a flying body soaring through the air. At the same time, if someone's health is full and they're hit the starting charge, they move back maybe three feet. Finding the right balance would undoubtedly be difficult.

Lastly, I see a secondary function for the air-gun: if you see one of your teammates being knocked off, you can target them and hold R2, which will shoot out an emergency chain/rope/whatever to give them a last second save. You hold the button, the rope shoots out, and if you hit the teammate you then have to aim the other end of the rope at something else in the environment for it to attach to and allow your teammate to climb up. I don't see this being something that is done very often, just a neat little thing that would happen once every few matches that would be a pretty cool game-saving moment that would be exciting. Also, the rope could be shot/melee'd in half.

I would see this mode not involving dozens of kills or deaths for each player, but deaths instead being fairly infrequent by typical multiplayer standards, as to avoid the incredibly boring respawn downtime. The best player in the game could frequently not be knocked off at all, or only once, where the worst player maybe gets knocked off six or so times in a 20 minute match. That would be my hope at least, as again, respawn load screens suck.

As a person who really enjoys competitive games, but is bored to tears of typical deathmatch, I think this would be a ton of fun. Anyone think this wasn't a waste of text?

Can someone tell me how close I am to finishing the game?

I just
rescued elizabeth after old elizabeth showed me NYC getting attacked

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Cool. A mate of mine who is big on the whole comic/movie poster art scene is keen to get in on some gaming art, and will be contributing an A3 sized custom work for the review. He's really big on Infinite at the moment, and is going to be doing a bit of a poster thing. Should be good! Here's a couple of recent doodles he did.

523897_10151045953244sks01.jpg

580031_10150990083849triin.jpg

Eaty, give it an 8.8 just for the lols

It stings.

Did you really give BI a 1.3/10?

Typo. My bad. Should be 1.2/10 :p.

I will be giving it an 8 or a 9. But I'm not the only staffer contributing.

Hero

I think I'm towards the end of the game.

I find combat really tedious and not fun. I think Elizabeth is the worst offender of a helper since she constantly gives you whatever you need at any given moment. Was there a way to turn this off?

The story is alright but the whole racism thing is a bit too in your face. Like the part during the museum of heroes had me rolling my eyes.

DatDude

Banned

I find combat really tedious and not fun. I think Elizabeth is the worst offender of a helper since she constantly gives you whatever you need at any given moment. Was there a way to turn this off?

The story is alright but the whole racism thing is a bit too in your face. Like the part during the museum of heroes had me rolling my eyes.

Remember it's supposed to a reflection of Booker, not the actual city.

I think I'm at the halfway mark. The whole time I'm waiting for "that moment" when this game will click, or when it will make me realize, hey, this is actually good.

That moment hasn't really happened yet.

So yeah, I'm just playing this to get to the ending everyone's been raving about. But I don't know if I'm experiencing a hell of a lot of build up towards something, or simply experiencing a whole lot of nothing in this game.

Elizabeth? Well, she's good for giving me money and healing...and that's about it. Uh, I thought there was supposed to be some sort of OMG INCREDIBLE tech under the hood of this A.I., but I'm not seeing it at all. She never gets stuck. Sure, that's because she teleports all over the place anyway. I don't mind that. But I'm still waiting for her to do *something* I haven't seen other characters in other games do.

If anything, this game DESPERATELY needs cutscenes. It's focusing so much on emergent gameplay that it feels like nothing is happening half the time. Go here, shoot those goons. Rinse. Repeat. I got nothing against shooters but this game is just really a shooter from 1999 (literally, like the free bonus mode you can unlock). It just has this 'I am an old game' feel to it.

I don't know. Bioshock had something special. I think it was the mystery behind everything. For this game, if there is a mystery well, it doesn't feel obvious yet. And whatever weirdness is going on
like that whole teleporting through three worlds nonsense
doesn't feel that "compelling" ( <-- everyone's favorite word in the game biz. )

I'm at
Emporia
now. Still waiting if there's going to be a "Will You Kindly" kind of moment. If it didn't have that expectation as a crutch, would this be a good game? Actually, i still don't think so. It's a room to room shooter which gives you an overacting assistant. Tomb Raider and DmC were far more entertaining, at least as far as 2013 releases go.

One last thing. I really hate it when Elizabeth says, "Oh, a lockpick!", then I spend the next fifteen minutes looking for the goddamned lockpick. Argh. It's those little things, did all the reviewers miss these bugs or is Rockstar really good at sending strippers to their houses? I'm getting the same feeling I got when I fired up Red Dead Redemption and expected the greatest game of all time...only to be faced with lots of brown, boring deserts and dull NPCs.

MNC

How far in are you?

Also, dont press F to accept.

DatDude

Banned
I think I'm at the halfway mark. The whole time I'm waiting for "that moment" when this game will click, or when it will make me realize, hey, this is actually good.

Well it is actually "good". Just not for you apparently. Sounds like you didn't really have much interest from Infinite from the get go.

Xanathus

Cool. Didn't like it in Bioshock.

Eh there's actually one creepy part in the game but it's less creepier than Bioshock.

I felt that they front-loaded way too much of the peaceful exploring Columbia stuff and the middle-section of the game has too much combat filler. At least they didn't pull a Darksiders 2 and made sure that they have good scenes and gameplay mechanics saved up for the ramp up to the ending.

IMG_20130404_224719.jpg

Now I'll never have to lose her again! :'(

Nah, I dunno if I like it or not. It's not a bad figure but doesn't really feel like Elizabeth, can't quite put my finger on it.

spekkeh

Banned
If anything, this game DESPERATELY needs cutscenes. It's focusing so much on emergent gameplay that it feels like nothing is happening half the time. Go here, shoot those goons. Rinse. Repeat. I got nothing against shooters but this game is just really a shooter from 1999 (literally, like the free bonus mode you can unlock). It just has this 'I am an old game' feel to it.

I'm in the same boat as you. There's no impetus, no moment to moment motivation for your actions. The overarching drive of the character (so far) is: take Elizabeth off of Columbia. There are interesting factions, Comstock, Fink, Vox, but their only purpose in the game (for the first 10 hours at least) seems to be to stall your progress, making their own plight largely irrelevant at best (annoying at worst) to the player. Modern games would have twists and turns (through cutscenes or something else) that renew your motivation into another direction, e.g. by a mystery that is relevant to the main character. So far, the mystery is pretty irrelevant to Booker (although somewhat to Elizabeth).

I think datdude spoilered the ending two pages ago (thanks for nothing), which means that it is relevant for Booker, but that would only become apparent near the ending.

Fjordson

Guys, how is the artbook? Does it have some juicy concept art from stuff cut out of the final game? I'm strongly considering buying it from Amazon right now.

IMG_20130404_224719.jpg

Now I'll never have to lose her again! :'(

Nah, I dunno if I like it or not. It's not a bad figure but doesn't really feel like Elizabeth, can't quite put my finger on it.
Eyes look weird.

Elizabeth sort of reminded me of a Disney character. Like one of the princesses from their classic movies. With the eyes and the dress and whatnot. That figure looks sort of mean and cynical :lol

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah I watched the movie Tangled/Rapunzel the evening before I reached Elizabeth. I was like 'oh apparently they watched it too'.

strafer

I just bought this game not knowing what the hell I'm in for.

Holy shitballs, this games looks, sounds and plays fucking great.

The intro is a total mindfuck. I really need to play Bioshock 1 and 2 after this.

I'm going the other way, from last game to first, lol.

Also Elizabeth is amazing.

The intro is a total mindfuck. I really need to play Bioshock 1 and 2 after this.

I'm going the other way, from last game to first, lol.

I could be wrong, but I suspect going straight into Bioshock 1 after finishing B:I will be pretty satisfying.

Thematically, in terms of what is happening in each games world, and trying not to be too spoilerish, B:I has you play 'during events' where Bioshock starts 'after events'.
Because Bioshock 1 starts after 'the revolution' has happened, B:I has you playing in the middle of it

Miroku129

I just bought the Season Pass for the PS3 version, but it just download a 100 mbs file and I can't access the content from the menu... I must finish the game before play the other chapters???

Andrew.

Banned
I just bought the Season Pass for the PS3 version, but it just download a 100 mbs file and I can't access the content from the menu... I must finish the game before play the other chapters???

Well there is no content yet released. The rewards you get for buying the SP though are given to you when you start a fresh game.

Andrew.

Banned
Yeah, it's wonderful. I'm currently waiting for a new 3DTV to arrive, and I'm going to get my 3D Tangled on this evening I think.

Now there's a movie that will give you your bang for your buck when it comes to viewing something in 3D, and make the whole purchase seem worthwhile.

#sarcasm

I don't know if this was ever confirmed or what.. but I started a new game last night on 1999 mode but I believe I can still Load all the chapters from my last play through too. I don't understand exactly how that will work if I say jump back into a chapter later in the game after starting a new one. My gear will be all different right?

weird

Smeghead

Guys, how is the artbook? Does it have some juicy concept art from stuff cut out of the final game? I'm strongly considering buying it from Amazon right now.

Eyes look weird.

Elizabeth sort of reminded me of a Disney character. Like one of the princesses from their classic movies. With the eyes and the dress and whatnot. That figure looks sort of mean and cynical :lol
Thinking about buying it as well. From the Amazon reviews it seems like it includes some stuff that didn't make the cut.
If you search on YouTube there's a video that thumbs through the book so you could probably get an idea of what the contents like

Andrew.

Banned
So my friend figured out a new cheese method that got him easy victories in 1999.

Pump up the RPG's damage, equip one and then equip Spectral Sidekick.

When you drop the RPG, it turns into a rocket turret. Just keep doing this over and over again (equip -> drop). Youll have a ghostly rocket buddy that will fuck everything up right by your side.

And the artbook is exquisitely awesome. Buy it.

If anything, this game DESPERATELY needs cutscenes. It's focusing so much on emergent gameplay that it feels like nothing is happening half the time.

Dear God NO.

There are plenty of games that exist doing the whole overly cinematic presentation that I love how Bioshock sticks to one perspective. That is one of the unique things that the game has going for it and I'd hate it if they tossed in a bunch of cutscenes that pulled you out of Booker's POV. There is a lot of stuff going on many times, you just have to search for it or just take it in via the atmosphere.

They probably could find a better way of integrating in some of the exposition you get from the voxophones into the game world but I like that games like this and Half Life or Skyrim avoid cutscenes all together and try to keep the narrative in front of you, from one POV.

One last thing. I really hate it when Elizabeth says, "Oh, a lockpick!", then I spend the next fifteen minutes looking for the goddamned lockpick. Argh.
I found that very useful whenever I missed something. More often than not the lockpick would be right by her. I never really had an issue not being able to find them when Elizabeth pointed them out.

I'm in the same boat as you. There's no impetus, no moment to moment motivation for your actions. The overarching drive of the character (so far) is: take Elizabeth off of Columbia. There are interesting factions, Comstock, Fink, Vox, but their only purpose in the game (for the first 10 hours at least) seems to be to stall your progress, making their own plight largely irrelevant at best (annoying at worst) to the player. Modern games would have twists and turns (through cutscenes or something else) that renew your motivation into another direction, e.g. by a mystery that is relevant to the main character. So far, the mystery is pretty irrelevant to Booker (although somewhat to Elizabeth).

Eh, I found it pretty engaging. More than most recent games I've played I felt compelled to keep pushing forward to find out more about the world and eventually more about what was going on with Elizabeth as that stuff reveals itself. I thought that stuff was all very interesting. The one place where it maybe drags is towards the middle of the game with
the Chen Lin
stuff but then how that resolves kind of picked my interest up again. It didn't matter that the "mystery" didn't seem relevent to main character, it was still a mysterious setting with odd happenings going on which kept me interested, first in just Columbia and the world and then gradually the characters like Elizabeth and Booker.

Fjordson

Thinking about buying it as well. From the Amazon reviews it seems like it includes some stuff that didn't make the cut.
If you search on YouTube there's a video that thumbs through the book so you could probably get an idea of what the contents like
Yeah, I just saw a little bit of that. It looks interesting. I've been burned by game art books in the past, but I can't get enough of Infinite.

Yeah, I just saw a little bit of that. It looks interesting. I've been burned by game art books in the past, but I can't get enough of Infinite.

Likewise. I think I might pick it up today. I went through the Amazon preview of it and some of the cut concepts are pretty crazy.

I kind of hope some of that stuff makes it into DLC.

strafer

I just noticed that Booker is Matt Baker in the Brothers In Arms series.

Mind blown.

Also..when Elizabeth cries I cant help but feel responsible.

Top Bottom