• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

I assume I'm getting close to the end (I actually thought I was at it and was excited to see I'm not quite there yet). This is starting to remind me of another game that I did not expect this to remind me of, which I don't even want to mention in spoiler tags as it'd effectively ruin both of them :lol

I feel like I knew more about the city of Rapture and its citizens at the end of Bioshock than I know about Columbia and its citizens after beating Infinite.
Probably because the audio logs served as background info on Rapture politics instead of a plot device in Infinite.

=(

LiK

started 1999 Mode on the 360 tonight. Not too bad so far. Definitely a lil tougher before you get the Shield and meet Elizabeth.

Andrew.

Banned
Gold guns? you get them right away with the Season Pass?

Yup. +35% damage on the pistol and mg immediately.

And trust me, it makes a hell of a difference.

Plus gears and 5 Infusions...and all the DLC

Best. Deal. Ever.

(The gears and Infusions wont show up until you reach the Blue Ribbon though. You cant go back to a saved game and collect them. Its gotta be on a freshie. It sucks but it will prepare you extremely well for 1999).

LiK

Yup. +35% damage on the pistol and mg immediately.

And trust me, it makes a hell of a difference.

Plus gears and 5 Infusions...and all the DLC

Best. Deal. Ever.

(The gears and Infusions wont show up until you reach the Blue Ribbon though. You cant go back to a saved game and collect them. Its gotta be on a freshie. It sucks but it will prepare you extremely well for 1999).

gaddammit. very tempting. but where do they give you them?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
gaddammit. very tempting. but where do they give you them?

Gold guns are a replacement for the pistol and the MG. Whenever you pick one of them up it becomes the gold version instead. The other items are all at the Blue Ribbon.

DatDude

Banned
What were the pre order exclusive weapons?

Something like Comstock sniper rifle or something like that? Or there any other preorder exclusive weapons?

Finished it, was absolutely incredible, and made me feel like a fucking idiot at the end. Now I'll spend the next week trying to figure everything out.

Andrew.

Banned
Yo, shield first and foremost and then salts. Eventually though, even shields are practically worthless against point blank Handyman hits. (the whole shield gone plus less than a 1/4 health no bullshit). Health upgrades are important but they are the least important if you get what I mean. It's all about evening everything out accordingly and intelligently.

Grisby

Having beat BI earlier today I'm still processing everything for a write up or something. Such a long time to wait for a game and you beat it in a couple of days.
Indeed. BS2's good ending has been one of the most beautiful things I've seen in gaming.
I liked it. The lead up to that with the LS moments and Eleanor (old spoiler but whatever)
joining you was cool.

BS2's good ending also has one of the series best songs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rWEuTwlzQo

go to Spoiler thread and check out the OP. GAF FAQ will clarify it for ya. :)

I did, and while it clears up some things I still feel confused about certain aspects. I'll be replaying on PC very soon so hopefully it will make more sense on more replays. I understood the basics but some of the surrounding narrative strands are still baffling to me.

mileS

Finished it, was absolutely incredible, and made me feel like a fucking idiot at the end. Now I'll spend the next week trying to figure everything out.

The spoiler thread is incredible. OP is updated all the time and it helped me a ton. See you in there :)

*beaten*

TTG

So was there any strategy at all to the (late game spoilers)
Lady Comstock fight? Especially the last stage.
Because I ended up just pouring a seemingly endless amount of ammunition into "it". I mean, I had to make a few trips back to the vending machine before I was done. I tried some shock jockey and devil's kiss, I don't think it had an effect.

I have to say I agree with that Penny Arcade strip's critique of the ultra-violence. The juxtaposition between Main Street Disney and causing a policeman to get his face carved off is a bit too gratuitous.

Because I ended up just pouring a seemingly endless amount of ammunition into "it". I mean, I had to make a few trips back to the vending machine before I was done. I tried some shock jockey and devil's kiss, I don't think it had an effect.

I used the MG and basically just unloaded into her head for Crits.

Question of my own regarding Booker's "debt"

Is it ever addressed in the game, in the marketing, or even out of Ken's mouth that his debt is a gambling one? IDK why, but him selling his baby because of money just doesn't fit right with his character in my mind. For how much conviction he had to save Elizabeth, especially near the end of the game where he had a "damn the debt, I'm saving the girl" attitude it doesn't quite fit for me. I also don't think that attitude can be explained away by him having "mixed" memories of Liz being Anna since Booker doesn't know anything about the alternate realities til right near the end

Fjordson

Probably because the audio logs served as background info on Rapture politics instead of a plot device in Infinite.

=(
Yeah, that might have been it. The diaries are fantastic in both games, but they gave you such an amazing amount of knowledge and background on Rapture and certain characters in the first Bioshock. I didn't feel that as much with Infinite.

DatDude

Banned
I used the MG and basically just unloaded into her head for Crits.

Question of my own regarding Booker's "debt"

Is it ever addressed in the game, in the marketing, or even out of Ken's mouth that his debt is a gambling one? IDK why, but him selling his baby because of money just doesn't fit right with his character in my mind. For how much conviction he had to save Elizabeth, especially near the end of the game where he had a "damn the debt, I'm saving the girl" attitude it doesn't quite fit for me. I also don't think that attitude can be explained away by him having "mixed" memories of Liz being Anna since Booker doesn't know anything about the alternate realities til right near the end

Take that to the spoiler thread.

THey'll have the answer there.

traveler

Not Wario
Don't see the CoD comparisons that have been brought up around the web at all. The game feels like a much improved BioShock, not something else. If I had to point to another shooter, I'd say it follows more in the Halo line of design, with an emphasis on constrained sandbox encounter design within linear level design. It's not open, by any means, but you are given room to experiment within a specific scenario.

Does anyone know if the gear drops are randomized? I'd like to replay again, preferably on 1999 if it actually allows for more than just a cautious crawl, but the same build would end up being optimal if the gear drops are the same. (Although Vigor availability will force it down the same path somewhat anyways.)

Edit: Is Health increased at a higher rate than Shields? I only found enough infusions to max two paths and I went shields > salt.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Alright guys starting my second play through and trying 1999 mode. What is the best upgrade part?? Salts salts salts? With some shield ??

I went pretty heavy shield at the start. I think I was at 2 Health, Max shield and 6 Salts when I maxed out the shield. Then went all Salt until it was maxed out.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor

Gear - melee attack weakens enemy defense, Blood to Salts
Vigor - upgraded Charge (recharges shield)
- shock jockey or murder of crows to slow enemy down while you reload.

Seriously that simple and effective. Oh my gosh Charge is effective.

ArynCrinn

Banned
What were the pre order exclusive weapons?

Something like Comstock sniper rifle or something like that? Or there any other preorder exclusive weapons?

There's the Comstock Snipe and the Gold Shotgun pre-order DLC, different places gave different stuff. These however and the console exclusive tonics ARE avaliable in the PC version. But it requires pirating a DLC torrent and altering config files.

I'll personally just wait for DLC.

Anywho,
Is there any secret to the Siphon Passive machine in Monument Tower
. Or is it just there for show?

Almost done with 1999 mode, man this game is a blast. I have been playing it almost exclusively with Move, after you get past the dumb button layout it becomes the best way to play it on PS3.

99 mode is tough but it is being made tougher cause my Gear loadout so far has sucked. All the good stuff I had on my first playthrough has not shown up.

Nicktock

Neo Member
This is my biggest nitpick with the game. Or maybe it's just a testament to Levine as a writer and Irrational as world builders.

I want more! I need to know more about Columbia. About how the city grew to what it is when Booker arrives.

I want to know about the other Founders, like Saltonstall, Marlowe, Vanderwald, Mr. Flambeau, etc. Who were they and why were they chosen? And what about Songbird? Who or what became it? And why is he so intensely protective of Elizabeth?

I feel like I knew more about the city of Rapture and its citizens at the end of Bioshock than I know about Columbia and its citizens after beating Infinite. I'm still amazed by the final product of Infinite, but I really hope we get some lore on Columbia and the founders with some of the DLC.

I'm fascinated by how much the game seemed to change over development. I thought the political battle angle they had going earlier on was pretty interesting. When Comstock looked like this:

big image

But this is all just sort of nitpicking as a result of the final game being so interesting. I just hope we find out more in the DLC.

There's dialog that indicates "The Founders" are Washington, Jefferson and Franklin. However those other characters obviously have some relevance as they were on that Vox scalp board. I think that empty slot might be some nice DLC.

TTG

Gear - melee attack weakens enemy defense, Blood to Salts
Vigor - upgraded Charge (recharges shield)
- shock jockey or murder of crows to slow enemy down while you reload.

Seriously that simple and effective. Oh my gosh Charge is effective.

Yea I just got that upgrade for Charge not 20 minutes before that fight. I just didn't bother using it on the boss itself. I'll be more efficient next time I guess, thanks. The fact that it recharges the shield seems super useful. Only problem is that at this stage enemies knock down my shield(fully upgraded) with ease.

Also, my gear load out currently is all about head shots and melee. Got that lightning excessive damage gear, the 50% increase with a critical hit along with a fully upgraded carbine. I can take some of the grunts with a single shot, the rest are 2-3. Watching the chain lightning decimate them is great. Throw in a Devil's Kiss for crowd control every once in a while too. It's a great combo, except for the bosses/mini bosses because they'll cut the distance really quickly and I end up aiming for center mass a lot. Just doesn't do enough damage quickly enough in a tight space.

Dresden

Thanks for the tips everyone. I will probably go shield for my first couple then salt a few times before doing any health upgrades.

nooooo

maxing out salt first is the only option. Shield increases are absolutely piddly--maxing out Shield will get it to where your health is, unupgraded. Maxed salt = almost three times the vigor usage = bigger returns on salt flasks.

SmithnCo

nooooo

maxing out salt first is the only option. Shield increases are absolutely piddly--maxing out Shield will get it to where your health is, unupgraded. Maxed salt = almost three times the vigor usage = bigger returns on salt flasks.

Agreed, salt increases are a lot more noticeable than health/shield.

traveler

Not Wario
nooooo

Reroll until you get Blood is Salt right off the bat. Problem solved.

TTG

I went all shield first. In retrospect, not a very good idea. If you get headshotted chances are it will knock off your entire shield plus some sliver of health.

NeoUltima

On 1999 mode I got up in her grill and used return to sender (charged and unleashed ~3 times) while also pumping her full of sniper and hand cannon rounds.

Grimsen

Almost done with 1999 mode, man this game is a blast. I have been playing it almost exclusively with Move, after you get past the dumb button layout it becomes the best way to play it on PS3.

99 mode is tough but it is being made tougher cause my Gear loadout so far has sucked. All the good stuff I had on my first playthrough has not shown up.

What are your Move settings for deadzone and such? I played with the Sharpshooter for a bit and I'm having hard time moving with precision. :(

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I went salt heavy for my first play through and then shield heavy on my second and liked the second run much better.
And I don't mean I didn't upgrade salt at all. Just that I was higher in shield than salt the whole way until shield was maxed.

I'm curious if the people saying go heavy salt have played through the game twice to try out each method.

I really love how the devs embraced the size and scope of a city in the sky. Lots of color and life going on in Columbia. They dare you to take it all in because its so damn beautiful. I pickced up Bioshock 1 and 2 duo pack a few days ago and I really don't like the dank and claustrophobic environments. :( It all is a reflection of themes being explored which is why I do tolerate it.

Top Bottom