• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

I have no clue how I am going to finish 1999 mode without the invincibility from jumping to skylines gear. I haven't even gotten the blood to salts gear. All the gear I have gotten stinks and I am almost done.

EDIT: YES Just got it!

Andrew.

Banned
There's definitely a creep section, which is done amazingly.

Yeah I reached that part last night for the second time and it might as well have been the first time all over again because I forgot how grim and saddening it is.
Hearing Liz crying and basically being tortured was just twisting my heart like no other. Draper is amazing.

Sullichin

PSA: The Shawn Combo

Charge + Charge Aid + Explosive upgrade
Electric Punch
Last Man Standing
Vampires Embrace
Blood to Salt

Enjoy the power =P

Ugh, I have all of the charge upgrades but only have electric touch and last man standing. Pretty unlucky with gear this playthrough, I need my blood to salt. :( Second
Lady Comstock fight in the bank
is messing me up, I've come pretty close though and I think charge is definitely the way to go. Pretty close doesn't matter much on 1999 mode though when its health just comes back.

Also wish I had that industrial revolution gear. I know its attached to an online puzzle game, only from reading here, but I don't even know how to get to that and the stuff's only at the beginning of the game anyway apparently. Oh well

EDIT: I don't have electric punch either, just electric touch. :| Can't really use that Shawn combo at all besides charge + last man standing. Maybe I'll try brittle skin in lieu of electric punch

Andrew.

Banned
Do you have Spectral Sidekick? My buddy discovered its power this week and used it to get all the way through 1999 last night.

Sullichin

Only if you can afford to. He used it with a damage upgraded RPG and tore everything apart.

Yeah I can definitely see its potential but I didn't have any really strong weapons around. Used it for a bit and then switched to last man standing when my health was low.

Just beat that fight with:
Carbine/Shotgun
Devils Kiss (both upgrades)
Electric Touch
Pyromaniac
Overkill
Last Man Standing

Constantly burning/shocking the minions was key, as opposed to rushing the siren which worked better in hard mode. That was really intense, I had no shield and a sliver of health when it finally went down.

StuBurns

Banned
Now there's a movie that will give you your bang for your buck when it comes to viewing something in 3D, and make the whole purchase seem worthwhile.

#sarcasm
Basically every TV is 3D now, it's not like a premium or anything. But I just tried it, looks pretty to me.

v0mitg0d

Disclaimer: The video linked below is of the official first "gameplay" look at BioShock Infinite released 2 years ago. If you were/are on a media blackout for the game then you might not want to click it. I've only read a few pages of the thread so apologies in advanced if this topic has been discussed to death. It probably has so if someone can link to the discussion w/o spoilers as I'm not at the end yet, that would be great.

Watch this if you've played the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0fDEA0BFSM

I'm still playing the game and i suspect am very close to the end (if I'm reading the narrative correctly), so this discussion has nothing to do with the ending. I'm more curious about the content we've seen in the video I linked above and we've seen throughout the last few years. I understand tech and target videos can make things change, sure, but I'm more concerned about the content.

why (content spoiler------>)
are significant parts of the game missing that were represented in the video? The adorable Lincoln mask joke that everyone loves, the gut wrenching horse moment, the tear to the 1980s with the music, the bell falling right infront of Booker and more. Did I somehow miss them?

I'm baffled! Again sorry if this has been discussed to death as I suspect it has.

I'm baffled! Again sorry if this has been discussed to death as I suspect it has.

Nope, you're not missing anything. Most of the content shown in those early videos is nowhere to be found in the actual game. The game seemingly went through a ton of changes during its development.

mileS

Can you only redeem or get your rewards from the Industrial Revolution mini game once? I'd like to use them for both hard and 1999 mode. Has anyone played around with this?

spekkeh

Banned
Okay seems like I stopped at the worst moment yesterday, played some more just now and
I really liked Elizabeth singing in the bar. And I stepped through a tear and now I'm a martyr for the Vox, with a bleeding nose, that was really interesting
. Game definitely picked up again. Still don't really care for the combat though.

Andrew.

Banned
Can you only redeem or get your rewards from the Industrial Revolution mini game once? I'd like to use them for both hard and 1999 mode. Has anyone played around with this?

Nope, they're always at the Blue Ribbon whenever you start a new game on any difficulty.

OMG these charge gear combos are ridiculous. 99 mode is now bahahaha you cant hurt me mode.

Enemy spoiler, you know the one.

I destroyed the ghost in like 10 seconds with a volley gun, full charged charge + melee causes increase damage, melee lights on fire, blood to salts and I dont even remember what else. I just charged unload volley, charge unload volley. Her life bar disintegrated.

traveler

Not Wario
OMG these charge gear combos are ridiculous. 99 mode is now bahahaha you cant hurt me mode.

Enemy spoiler, you know the one.

I destroyed the ghost in like 10 seconds with a volley gun, full charged charge + melee causes increase damage, melee lights on fire, blood to salts and I dont even remember what else. I just charged unload volley, charge unload volley. Her life bar disintegrated.

That combination is straight up broken. You don't even need guns for the rest of the game now. (Outside of mosquitos) Just become a flaming invincible pinball.

Sophuis

Neo Member
Finished it. Kind of want to air what I think, but it's pretty much negative, and given the tone of most of these comments, I'd probably get crucified.

Sullichin

Nearing the end of my 99 playthrough, my second time through the game, and I already want to start another one.

Not sure why I haven't gotten the combination shock achievement yet... not sure which one I'm missing. Guess I could knock that out in the last few encounters.

Finished it. Kind of want to air what I think, but it's pretty much negative, and given the tone of most of these comments, I'd probably get crucified.

You won't get crucified, plenty of people here didn't like the game

DatDude

Banned

You went get crucified. It's always interesting at the very least to hear the other side of the picture.

Honestly, if the setting nor the narrative captured you than I imagine a lot of people wouldn't like this game.

Andrew.

Banned

a-star-is-burns3.png

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Not sure why I haven't gotten the combination shock achievement yet... not sure which one I'm missing.

Do you know which ones you have done? Likely not. I got the achievement and then later read the combos and I was surprised I did them all. (I don't remember them now).

Try Bronco and then everything once they are in the air. That's when the cheeve popped for me.

mileS

Ordered the Dark Horse art book today :) Can't wait. It's out early but apparently in Canada I still have to wait until April 9th for shipping. Oh well, from what I seen it will be worth the wait.

Sophuis

Neo Member
You won't get crucified, plenty of people here didn't like the game

OK then.

This game is creatively bankrupt, derivative crap.

I already played Bioshock 2. I already played Bioshock. Hell, I already played System Shock 2. They've done the RPG/shooter corridor crawl in an isolated setting that forces you to take a certain path - several times, in fact. They've done the protector/protectee, Big Daddy/Little Sister dynamic already - several times. I've already played through this story about a man and his ridiculously unlikely city that's backed up with unbelievable - and I mean that in the literal sense - scientific discoveries. I've fired these weapons before. I've use these Vigors/Plasmids before. I've even done melee attacks with a weapon like that before.

But what about the new stuff? The skylines are hardly worth mentioning. They turn what was already pretty linear into a literal on-rails shooter, no matter if you can jump forwards or backwards on it or reverse course. It's also pretty marginal in terms of total gameplay impact.

Elizabeth, then, the supposed best AI companion ever.

Elizabeth isn't a companion. She's a device. In terms of story she's something to dispense exposition and narration, as well as literally propelling this Mobius Strip shaped pretzel of a story on far too many occasions and being the only reason it managed to cohere into something vaguely resembling a closed loop at all.
In terms of gameplay, she's even less. She's a checkbox. If the box is ticked, the player has a passive chance of receiving a certain resource when he runs low (he just has to respond to a prompt by hitting a button instead of just getting it immediately), as well as the power to slightly alter the environment in a limited amount of situations. Out of combat, a ticked box also means getting free money in exchange for wasting time with a very repetitive and annoying animation. This is not the best companion ever - it's a script with tits and a face that bribes you to like it.

So the game is pretty much the exact same one that we've already played years ago with a minimum of changes to the way it plays and that's bad enough. But the story is little more than an excuse for that fact.

The fact that they try to explain why it's all so similar and familiar and derivative by bending over backwards with this crazy excuse for a story is just insulting. What's worse is that they were blowing their own horns about it beforehand and now, people are just eating it up.

LiK

Ordered the Dark Horse art book today :) Can't wait. It's out early but apparently in Canada I still have to wait until April 9th for shipping. Oh well, from what I seen it will be worth the wait.

It's a big book. Very happy with it.

Hellcrow

Enjoying the game so far! However, the game randomly crashes in a weird way by minimizing and but still playing music. (Location spoiler)
Hall of Heroes
was really bad in this way.

Tunic

I think I am towards the end of the game. Loving every minute though! I am just entering
Comstock House
. Can't wait to see how the story plays out. I'll have to give 1999 mode a spin also. Great game!

But what about the new stuff? The skylines are hardly worth mentioning. They turn what was already pretty linear into a literal on-rails shooter, no matter if you can jump forwards or backwards on it or reverse course. It's also pretty marginal in terms of total gameplay impact.

"Hey, guys, I can't get off the skyrails!"

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Is Shawn going to set up an online area where we can marry Elizabeth? Like maybe a section on the official Irrational forums?

KillGore

Slightly off topic but I pre-ordered the game through amazon. I believed it brought the revolution pack, or something like that. I opened the box but there was no code inside. I can't put the game in the console right now, as I'm not home but are the extra goodies on the disc or do the send the codes via email?

SmithnCo

Slightly off topic but I pre-ordered the game through amazon. I believed it brought the revolution pack, or something like that. I opened the box but there was no code inside. I can't put the game in the console right now, as I'm not home but are the extra goodies on the disc or do the send the codes via email?

Through email I'm guessing. My digital preorder stuff from them has always been in email.

strafer

Hehe, just booted up Bioshock 1 and you know what, it still looks pretty good.

I remember being blown away by the water tech.

Top Bottom