• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Take away Vanquish's gameplay.

Take away Plancescape Torment's story.

Take away Alice Madness Return's art design.

Take away Tomb Raider 2013's production values.

Take away Bullet Storm's scoring/combo system.

Take away Skyrim's out and world size.

lol.

We're separating story from production values here, this is somewhat of a non sequitur. Bioshock Infinite is being chiefly praised for its story and production values (which I'm using to generalize its art direction, graphics, music. etc.), and I'm arguing that the former is uplifted by the latter, and wouldn't have been upheld as great if not for the latter, meaning that the story isn't that groundbreaking.

I think in this case the production values definitely service the game as a whole. It's not always the case with games, or films. Sometimes you can see a game/film was ludicrously expensive and the lack of substance is almost painful.

In this case, the production values support the creation of a very impressive world through art design, visual fidelity, voice acting etc. The quality of the story itself is debatable, but most agree the setting is fantastic.

I agree with this.

Found this on reddit, hope it hasn't been posted yet
tumblr_mkq1yt5u5F1r5hj5co1_1280.png

I posted a few pages ago about save game issues. Turns out the game will fail to save your game properly if the date/time on your 360 is not set correctly. I had to replay the same section three times until I noticed that my saves were dated oddly. Resetting the date on my console fixed the problem and I was able to finish the rest of the game with autosave working as it should.

And: if you thought the middle of the game dragged a bit...well, I had to play that section THREE times. Still worth it - amazing game.

Don't know what battle it really is – 
the building outside the Chen Lin's weapons?
– but that was a lot of fun. Loved using those tears.
We're separating story from production values here, this is somewhat of a non sequitur. Bioshock Infinite is being chiefly praised for its story and production values (which I'm using to generalize its art direction, graphics, music. etc.), and I'm arguing that the former is uplifted by the latter, and wouldn't have been upheld as great if not for the latter, meaning that the story isn't that groundbreaking.

I don't know how you can separate the story from the world.

Got a question about the story:
I'm at the Police HQ in the alternate universe, and I'm at that point at the bottom where the tear is. Why do Elizabeth and Booker conclude that in this other universe – is it a third one? – that the guns are back at the shop?

Gold_Loot

Got a question about the story:
I'm at the Police HQ in the alternate universe, and I'm at that point at the bottom where the tear is. Why do Elizabeth and Booker conclude that in this other universe – is it a third one? – that the guns are back at the shop?

If I remember correctly , it was because
Mr. Chen never got arrested

Balphon

I'm totally lost. Did I just step
into a third universe? How would they know in this universe that Mr. Chen wasn't arrested? Because the guns weren't in this third universe?

Yes; I believe they come to the conclusion that, since the machinery wasn't in lockup in the new universe, Chen must have been able to make the guns for the Vox. I don't blame you for being confused, it's a massive leap of logic.

Andrew.

Banned
Final Handyman is fucking joke. I just kept him pinned and stunned with Crows inside one of the entryways while point blanking him in the heart with the shotty.

Oh, okay. Well, just want to say that this game has kicked it into awesome. Dunno if I passed the slow section (it's been 14 hours for me), but I'm now at the part where
you have to take out that airship
and this whole sequence is just AWESOME. Using the skyrails, soaring up high, fighting
side by side with the Vox in this huge uprising.
Fantastic.

Also, the Burstgun is so good!

Gold_Loot

Oh, okay. Well, just want to say that this game has kicked it into awesome. Dunno if I passed the slow section (it's been 14 hours for me), but I'm now at the part where
and this whole sequence is just AWESOME. Using the skyrails, soaring up high, fighting
Fantastic.

Yep , it's all downhill from here. This is where things start to get- A little fucked up.

DukeBobby

Yep , it's all downhill from here. This is where things start to get- A little fucked up.

What the hell are you talking about, man? Fucked up is good!

Don't worry Dax, things are about to get even better. The Burstgun sucks, though. It's almost as bad as the Heater.

kurahador

Fantastic.

Oh man...this moment was great. Even Elizabeth said so afterwards!

Fantastic.

I would say that you're past the slow section of the game. You're past the
Chen Lin stuff and that backtracking.
It just keeps getting better from there.

I fucking hate shooters.

This game is absolutely amazing. It is exactly how storytelling should be be in a videogame.

The final fight did kind of frustrate me to the point I youtubed the ending though.

I usually rolled with Carbine or Hand Cannon with a Shotgun. Never without a shotgun.

Carbine was definitely my weapon of choice. Hand Cannon was my back-up. In a pinch the Shotgun/Volley Gun/RPG would work if I needed to deal damage fast. But that's pretty much all I used weapon wise. Had way more fun using Vigors instead.

Varna

Derrick was right about 1999 mode. Nothing like what they promised.

Still, it's better then what other games provide. Having limited resources does make you think twice about what to upgrade. I have about 2500 bucks and I have only bought a single upgrade from one of the discount vendors. I'm holding off until I get access to all the weapons/powers and see which I like.

I am about six hours in. I just used the
lightning power to call down the gondola
. Combat has been pretty decent up until now. Mostly what I've come to expect from shooters. I have to admit, that last fight was pretty damn cool. Visually and just micromanaging all the
rifts
. The interesting part is that I ended up finishing that encounters not shooting nearly as much as I thought I would. Heh.

I like the game. It's absolutely beautiful, combat is decent to good. I turned off all the hints some I'm having a good time exploring everything I can. Still... what a bummer about 1999 mode.

Wait, was the
Chen Li stuff
really the slow part of the game? I didn't think it was slow at all. I don't mind a little backtracking – I'm a Halo fan after all. ;)

It's a bit late where I am, so I saved right when you
enter that huge tower.
But yeah, that
airship setpiece was so awesome, though it did get a tad annoying when Booker kept saying, "I have to destroy the engine" or some such. My favorite part was jumping off it and grabbing on to a skyrail to land.
I agree with those who said they felt the
guitar scene was a little forced.

Still enjoying the combat. If I had to guess, I'd say I'm about 60% through the game. I don't want it to end!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Carbine was definitely my weapon of choice. Hand Cannon was my back-up. In a pinch the Shotgun/Volley Gun/RPG would work if I needed to deal damage fast. But that's pretty much all I used weapon wise. Had way more fun using Vigors instead.

Carbine is wonderful. I can pop headshots with that thing from miles way from the hip.

Neiteio

Wait, was the
Chen Li stuff
really the slow part of the game? I didn't think it was slow at all. I don't mind a little backtracking – I'm a Halo fan after all. ;)
No, the "slow part" is later -- you're less than halfway through the game.

Me personally, I don't think the bit is slow. It involves a recurring encounter with a certain enemy, but you go to new places when it happens, uncover new recordings, etc.

Trigger

Wait, was the
Chen Li stuff

I agree. It was nice to have the leash loosened a bit. There's room to explore during that level with lots of neat stuff tucked away.

DukeBobby

No, the "slow part" is later -- you're less than halfway through the game.

Me personally, I don't think the bit is slow. It involves a recurring encounter with a certain enemy, but you go to new places when it happens, uncover new recordings, etc.

She's over halfway. Also, are you referring to the
Lady Comstock fight?
That is not generally seen as the slow part, more like the frustrating part.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Lady Comstock fight?

I just thought it was dumb that it was repeated.

For a game that seems like it was so finely crafted for every scenario to really matter, that section felt like filler.

Neiteio

Lady Comstock fight?
Yeah, I was referring to that, and when I hit most spoiler tags, it seemed to be what many consider the "slow" part, due to following a certain someone all over kingdom come.

I personally loved it. Thought it was poignant and creepy and rich in detail.

Being VAGUE here, yo.

I like the Finktown section more on my second playthrough. It's a lot of contrived running around fetch quest stuff, but the environments are interesting, there's some great encounters, interesting little story bits/background details, etc. The real weak area was the whole
Lady Comstock stuff. More contrived running around, but with dark relatively boring environments in Emporia and annoying boss encounters. And personally, the whole EVIL GHOST OF LADY COMSTOCK narrative felt too goofy for me to really connect with, along with Elizabeth's forced exposition bits("I think she's like, part my mom and part my messed-up feelings about her)?"

But it's all uphill from there!

Anduron

Just read the rock paper shotgun review. They nailed pretty much every complaint I have with the game, especially this part.

"Rapture was a place first and foremost, but despite its initial hours of compelling social politics and religion-led villainy, Columbia winds up feeling more like a construct to house an elaborate sci-fi auto-mythology."

I hope they focus more on world building in their next game. The ramifications of living under water were plainly obvious in B1 (both characters and environment) but Infinite could have taken place on the ground and been exactly the same game. That's it's biggest failure imo.

Just finished the game. I don't even. I mean I do, but I don't

I wish I could replay the game on easy with all my unlocks. I really want to focus on the story my second time through.

Amazing game. This is how you make a quality game. Standards have been raised.

pakkit

Banned
I absolutely adore this game. I played my second time through on Hard difficulty and only spending my cash on Vigor upgrades. Paired with my gear, I'm now an obscenely overpowered demi-god. One thing this game doesn't really encourage you to do (that it should) is to change gear often. There are specific loadouts tailored to regular combat, skyline/heavies combat, and then near-death combat. Smart management and movement has kept me alive aplenty.

Man just watching how Elizabeth interacts with the world, looking at things, leaning over banisters, sitting on couches, she must have been a bitch to program haha

Any chance that more artwork/lithographs get released? Some of the stuff on the walls in this game deserve a spot on my wall. And I don't have any gaming "memorabilia" anywhere outside of my computer.

Top Bottom