• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Wait, was the
Chen Li stuff
really the slow part of the game? I didn't think it was slow at all. I don't mind a little backtracking – I'm a Halo fan after all. ;)

It's a bit late where I am, so I saved right when you
enter that huge tower.
But yeah, that
airship setpiece was so awesome, though it did get a tad annoying when Booker kept saying, "I have to destroy the engine" or some such. My favorite part was jumping off it and grabbing on to a skyrail to land.
I agree with those who said they felt the
guitar scene was a little forced.

Still enjoying the combat. If I had to guess, I'd say I'm about 60% through the game. I don't want it to end!
I didn't find that stuff slow/boring. Personally I found the section leading up to rescuing Elizabeth was boring. I loved taking in the environment but the combat didn't click with me. The combat didn't really click with me until around Finktown. I'm not sure why as I really liked the original Bioshock and was pretty good with that game. However, for the first few hours I found the combat to be really jarring and not that fun. Perhaps its because in the original Bioshock the powers were more powerful and fun to just mess/experiment with meanwhile the powers in this game are to be used more strategically and assist the gunplay not stand as an equal option in combat. In addition the first Bioshock had you use powers to solve simplistic puzzles meanwhile BI has zero puzzles. I mean for the first hour or two the only tonic you're given is one that only allows two uses before you are out of salts.
once I got the shock gear tonic from Hall of Heroes, it really opened up and I had more fun with the combat and really understood the combat system better.
not to say either approach is superior it just took a little getting used to.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I am in love with this game and in love with Irrational (specially since they're in one of my fav cities in the world). This is amazing.

PLAT GOT

Finale was fucking awesome. I creamed it in one go.

Fuck yeah! Lets be PSN pals man!

I just thought it was dumb that it was repeated.

For a game that seems like it was so finely crafted for every scenario to really matter, that section felt like filler.

Originally that fight was supposed to be a regular Heavy Hitter, like a Handyman or Motorized Patriot. I guess they decided they didn't want the design to go to waste on just one fight?

I hope this game sells well, we need more innovative games like infininte and less 5 hour campaign games with multiplayer tacked on. Third playthrough and I'm still amazed, the game is a masterpiece.

Just got to the part where you fight
the ghost of Lady Comstock
wtf....
you fight her three times, and there's this really annoying screen flash that happens over and over and over
Did they really think that was fun?

Man, I have not read how this story ends but i think i'm very far through the game already
going to Comstock himself now
but the content that I've already experienced is, in a word....terrible. Yes there's
the backdrop of early century racism, some physics conundrums and some stuff about religion here and there
but they all feel like they were just sprinkled all over the place to give you the idea that the story is so profound. It isn't. It just has so many ideas at this point but they really go nowhere with any of them.

Maybe when it ends it will all make sense? I really hope so. I need this game to be worth the money I spent it on, and so far it isn't worth it. Really.

If this is our standard of what a good game story is like, well...our standard is just too low.

Derrick01

Banned
Derrick was right about 1999 mode. Nothing like what they promised.

Still, it's better then what other games provide. Having limited resources does make you think twice about what to upgrade. I have about 2500 bucks and I have only bought a single upgrade from one of the discount vendors. I'm holding off until I get access to all the weapons/powers and see which I like.

I am about six hours in. I just used the
lightning power to call down the gondola
. Combat has been pretty decent up until now. Mostly what I've come to expect from shooters. I have to admit, that last fight was pretty damn cool. Visually and just micromanaging all the
rifts
. The interesting part is that I ended up finishing that encounters not shooting nearly as much as I thought I would. Heh.

I like the game. It's absolutely beautiful, combat is decent to good. I turned off all the hints some I'm having a good time exploring everything I can. Still... what a bummer about 1999 mode.

My only wish is that in the future devs stop hyping these modes up as some sort of really old school game made for scorned and beaten gamers when it's clearly not. And to be fair and clear this game is not the only offender. Every recent game with a "hardcore" mode is an offender...new vegas, absolution, human revolution and all the others.

wages

Banned
I didn't like this game at all (for numerous reasons) but I must say--and this will sound corny--that I am happy that my fellow gamers have something that they like and are passionate about. It proves to me that there are games for everyone to enjoy and although we may not all like the same games at least there are games for us to like.

I didn't like this game at all (for numerous reasons) but I must say--and this will sound corny--that I am happy that my fellow gamers have something that they like and are passionate about. It proves to me that there are games for everyone to enjoy and although we may not all like the same games at least there are games for us to like.

I like your attitude, good sir.

Respect right here folks.

mileS

830px-Prototype_Skyhook.jpg

Where can I buy? O.O

OmahaG8

Go home.

Grisby

I think it's weird that I only remember a handful of skyline fights in the many hours I've put into the game.
Yeah, they don't factor in as much as they should. Kind of wish they had built larger hubs connected by the skyline.

Also, it kind of blows that you really only attack(spoilers I guess for an enemy encounter, amybe halfway or so)
zeppelins like twice.
Was hoping you would get to do more of that.

DatDude

Banned
I feel like if Infinite wasn't being praised as much, half these negative comments wouldn't exist.

Look, I know Infinite has flaws. I agree, it's not a perfect game.

Some pieces feel awkward.

Some of the gunplay feels a bit stale, compared to where it could be.

The level design is more linear than hub like.

I mean, I can go down the list. Yeah, Infinite has flaws. But at the same time, I just don't understand how some can go "Ugh, worst game I've ever played. Or BAH, dude bro cliffy b crap."

I mean, come on now? An for some people to say no love was put into this game?

I mean, what are you guys playing that is better than this, or making you think this is uninspired crap? Please, point me in that direction, because besides some great indie games, there's really nothing on the market in the AAA big budget arena like Infinite.

I feel like if Infinite wasn't being praised as much, half these negative comments wouldn't exist.
The ending is great, it's good game, and people should play it.

But if you've watched the E3 demo you've pretty much seen the entire game to a certain extent. I was frankly pretty bored a lot of the time.

Combat on skylines is fun as hell though.

kurahador

Yeah, they don't factor in as much as they should. Kind of wish they had built larger hubs connected by the skyline.

I think it has something to do with the current gen console limitation.
I have no doubt they planned the game to structurally played like an open world at first based on the E3 gameplay.

I've spent far too much for one game.

Ultimate Songbird Edition $149.99
Season Pass $19.99
Bioshock Infinite Artbook $23
Bioshock Infinite CE Guide $25

And sooo worth it all, love this game.

LiK

Season Pass $19.99

Same, also double dipped (PC and 360) and bought the action figure for Lizzie. Wish they made a Booker figure.

Neiteio

Can anyone tell me if you can reload chapters
To collect missing collectables or cipher missions or do I have to play again?
After beating the game, I was jumping around the different chapters for fun, and in "Columbia Welcome Center" I found one of those black-and-white informercials I hadn't seen before, bringing my Sightseer achievement total to 33/37 (or something like that). So yeah, when you find new stuff, it will be tallied, BUT you won't carry over your weapons, powers, etc, from your most recent chapter -- you'll only have the items you had acquired as of when that chapter autosave was created. It's confusing, insofar as it doesn't tell you how many voxophones, etc, are in each chapter, so you can't really track where and how much you have left to find in any given area.

Cramoss

I mean, I can go down the list. Yeah, Infinite has flaws. But at the same time, I just don't understand how some can go "Ugh, worst game I've ever played. Or BAH, dude bro cliffy b crap."

I mean, what are you guys playing that is better than this, or making you think this is uninspired crap? Please, point me in that direction, because besides some great indie games, there's really nothing on the market in the AAA big budget arena like Infinite.

Should be on the OP lol

Aspiring

After beating the game, I was jumping around the different chapters for fun, and in "Columbia Welcome Center" I found one of those black-and-white informercials I hadn't seen before, bringing my Sightseer achievement total to 33/37 (or something like that). So yeah, when you find new stuff, it will be tallied, BUT you won't carry over your weapons, powers, etc, from your most recent chapter -- you'll only have the items you had acquired as of when that chapter autosave was created. It's confusing, insofar as it doesn't tell you how many voxophones, etc, are in each chapter, so you can't really track where and how much you have left to find in any given area.

Ah ok thank you so much! I'm not worried about powers or upgrades just collectables, although since like you said, with no in game tracker it's gonna be difficult! But thank you so much!

I've only been playing with normal and i'm surprised the game isn't done yet. 3 days and havn't played other games. But i could not play it in one sitting. Much longer than I expected. Story is out of whack at the moment. I'm disappointed with the stats about vodaphones and collectables moments. As I find exploring in this game stressful. I feel like its too easy to miss spots.

But I have to say... Load times are excellent, visuals and framerate are wonderful. It is entertaining and quality!

ArynCrinn

Banned
Any way to guarantee a Winter Shield pick-up in Cell 8? I've reloaded the checkpoint like 8 times now and had to do that huge fight over. It's getting old. How random is the drop?

*level headed post*

Not sure if it was here or the spoiler thread but someone made a post saying that the game was "creatively bankrupt." I was about to reply but pretty much pulled the Edward Norton laptop gif instead-- but the point is, you just really can't pay attention to some people.

Neiteio

Ah ok thank you so much! I'm not worried about powers or upgrades just collectables, although since like you said, with no in game tracker it's gonna be difficult! But thank you so much!
The only thing you lose when you use Chapter Select, is any progress within a chapter that's past the START of that chapter.

So for example:

The second chapter is when you arrive in the city, so a permanent autosave is created marking this spot as "Chapter 2." Say you play until you reach the fair, which is also in that chapter. You save and quit. If you choose Continue, you'll pick up from the most recent checkpoint. But say you want to show the start of the game to a friend, and you go to Chapter 1, with the lighthouse. Well, you'll lose your checkpoint save in Ch. 2, and you'll have to make back that progress by jumping to Ch. 2 in Chapter Select, and going through the baptism again.

Once you beat the game, Chapter Select is a great way to jump around at your leisure. Selecting Ch. 1 is like a brand new game, even including the voiceover and book quote at the beginning. You never lose your chapter bookmarks, though, so no worries. It's like Scene Select on a DVD or Blu-ray.

beastmode

Well, there you go.

But seriously, "like Infinite" means what exactly?

Guess Who

Banned

Christ, I'd love to see more indie games like this. If the indie scene was producing shit half this enjoyable I'd be more interested in it.

Season Pass $19.99

The Songbird edition didn't include a Season Pass? Jeez. Any other game would get railed for that kind of shit. I'm saying this as someone who loved Bioshock 1 and Infinite.

leng jai

I always find it absurd how those super expensive CEs only include gimped versions of the art book with the proper one being sold separately.

Shawn if you're still around, who was in charge of the music? Specifically stuff like the Beach Boys rendition, the Cyndi Lauper medley in Battleship Bay, the CCR cameo in the tear in Fink Industries?

Some very wise music choices. Everybody involved with that deserves a pat on the back.

Shawn if you're still around, who was in charge of the music? Specifically stuff like the Beach Boys rendition, the Cyndi Lauper medley in Battleship Bay, the CCR cameo in the tear in Fink Industries?

Some very wise music choices. Everybody involved with that deserves a pat on the back.

Or how about that blues-y rendition of
Tainted Love

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Not going to stick around in this thread too long to avoid any potential spoilers.

That said, this game is absolutely amazing, and lives up very well to the Bioshock name so far.

Playing this maxed out on PC, 1999 mode, and loving every second of it. Just got undertow, hoping I have a ways to go still.

DatDude

Banned
Well, there you go.

But seriously, "like Infinite" means what exactly?

Games that take risks.

The setting alone is a risk in itself. 1912 Americana, A city in the sky with GORGEOUS art direction (look at Insomniacs Fuse debacle. It HAD an inspired art look, but was toned back due to "focus testing" .)....

A game that takes risks in terms of it's themes. Sure could the racism theme and other themes be better handled? Hell yes. But it feels like this might at least be a catalyst for other publishers to say:

"Wow, here's a game that sells (hopefully) well, and touches upon themes that are very mature for this medium. Maybe there's a space for this in the AAA gaming space, and maybe we should fund this potential project."

I don't know. Sure the combat, might feel generic. The linear combat might be off putting especially after the well done Rapture hub like levels. An yeah, maybe there are to many themes going all at once trying to connect towards something that feels lost in a way.

I agree Infinite has flaws. It's not a perfect game, and is probably the definition of a diamond in the rough. But still, at the end of my playthrough I felt as if Infinite gave me an experience that I hardly experienced this geneartion. A game that had heart, that had passion, that treated the player with maturity and respect.

I guess that's what I'm looking in games nowadays. Games that aren't seemingly made by a publishers bullet point fact sheet, but a game that was done with, and I know this sounds silly, but "Love."

That's what I felt with Infinite. It didn't do everything right, it took alot of missteps along the way in retrospect, and had the potential to be so much greater than what it already is (and was most likely restrained by current gen consoles). But just like with Bioshock 1, it felt like it was game made out of passion, and pure heart by the team at Irrational. An not something that Take 2 (the publisher) wanted them to make and do, like some manufacturing factory that poisons so much of the AAA gaming space today (EA, Activison, etc).

Sophuis

Neo Member
What with the incredible amount of art in this game and an atmosphere very unlike the other two Bioshocks, except for it being an unlikely city.
The atmosphere is genuinely good, I agree, but ultimately, that's just a fresh coat of paint over a second hand game, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm playing Bioshock again in tandem with my second playthrough of Infinite and they are pretty different games. Sure there are similar gameplay mechanics and the story hits some of the same notes, but I didn't see this as a bad thing. The vigors offer far more options/combos than plasmids ever did. The shooting is vastly improved. The protector/protectee dynamic is quite different than the other Bioshocks... it doesn't even really exist here outside of the story. You don't need to protect Elizabeth at all.
It borrows most heavily from Bioshock 2, both in terms of story and gameplay, so if you played that alongside Infinite, maybe you'd see my point more clearly. They expanded Plasmids with trap and combo possibilities and altered melee and gunplay to suit the player's role as a Big Daddy. In terms of story, it's even more similar, given the dynamic between the player character, the girl he's protecting and the Big Sister. That was also linked more in narrative than gameplay, but apparently the lead on B2 had a role in developing Infinite as well, so that's to be expected.

Not that I was expecting anyone in here to agree with me. Just had to be said.

Not sure if it was here or the spoiler thread but someone made a post saying that the game was "creatively bankrupt." I was about to reply but pretty much pulled the Edward Norton laptop gif instead-- but the point is, you just really can't pay attention to some people.
Nice attitude to have on a discussion board. Good advice, though - thanks for playing!

DatDude

Banned
Nice attitude to have on a discussion board. Good advice, though - thanks for playing!

I disagree. If the person explains WHY they felt that way, than I think we would all respectively listen.

But just to say it's creatively bankrupt, in a vast ocean of TRULY creatively bankrupt games released this gen (Army of 2 says hello, released just last week), it's truly almost offending to hear.

The atmosphere is genuinely good, I agree, but ultimately, that's just a fresh coat of paint over a second hand game, as far as I'm concerned.

It borrows most heavily from Bioshock 2, both in terms of story and gameplay, so if you played that alongside Infinite, maybe you'd see my point more clearly. They expanded Plasmids with trap and combo possibilities and altered melee and gunplay to suit the player's role as a Big Daddy. In terms of story, it's even more similar, given the dynamic between the player character, the girl he's protecting and the Big Sister. That was also linked more in narrative than gameplay, but apparently the lead on B2 had a role in developing Infinite as well, so that's to be expected.

Not that I was expecting anyone in here to agree with me. Just had to be said.

Well to be fair, calling something creatively bankrupt is hyperbole which I hear GAF hates when reviewers use it but seem to throw it around wildly themselves. That would mean the game had 0 valuable qualities which is not true.

EDIT: On a different note, I really tremendously enjoyed Bioshock 1 and Infinite but have never, ever had the urge to replay them. Could just be me, when I replay games I tend to see more and more faults in them which sorta ruins them in my brain. Anyone else?

beastmode

The setting alone is a risk in itself. 1912 Americana, A city in the sky with GORGEOUS art direction (look at Insomniacs Fuse debacle. It HAD an inspired art look, but was toned back due to "focus testing" .)....
Since this is the only concrete thing you brought up, here's some other recent (non-indie) games off the top of my head with good settings or art direction:

Dmc Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Assassin's Creed series
Alan Wake

Infinite's hardly unique in that regard, though I do appreciate it.

Top Bottom