• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

spekkeh

Banned
I think the DLC should go more into the skyline, becausse i agree with infinite not implementing the skyline gameplay enough.

I think the problem is the small FOV. You can never see where the skylines are heading, thus you can't really use them apart from going to and fro short pieces as a way of getting a lower chance to be hit and some instakills.

spekkeh

Banned
Since this is the only concrete thing you brought up, here's some other recent (non-indie) games off the top of my head with good settings or art direction:

Dmc Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Assassin's Creed series
Alan Wake

Infinite's hardly unique in that regard, though I do appreciate it.

Yeah, the setting can hardly be considered a risk, as a nice setting and visuals are a huge selling point of many games.

Sort of wish there was a NG+ mode for beating 1999. Haven't replayed the game at all since beating it a week ago, so pardon me if there is such a thing.

May go through it again on Easy just to pick up the 1-3 collectibles I missed (one Voxophone and a couple for the sight-seer achievement) and pick up the remaining numeral-based combat achievements.

But it's a game I don't want to rush back into or get hot and heavy in spoiler discussions over it.

DatDude

Banned
Since this is the only concrete thing you brought up, here's some other recent (non-indie) games off the top of my head with good settings or art direction:

Dmc Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Assassin's Creed series
Alan Wake

Infinite's hardly unique in that regard, though I do appreciate it.

I appreciate those suggestions, and I've actually played all those games you listed.

DMC is good..I guess..but feels very, idk, video gamey?

Dishonored-it's setting is way to dreary grey depressing for me.

Deus Ex: HR- I feel like the only good city was Shanghai (the asian one). The rest were either really small (like the montreal level, or Singapore), or just meh (Detroit was meh for me). I didn't really care for the art direction either

Assassins Creed-I like the setting, even though I'm not a huge historical buff person. I find that the cities lack identity sometimes (hard to tell them apart sometimes) and become copy/paste in some city blocks. Puts me off

Alan Wake-I actually really dug alan wakes setting. The only issue I have with it though is that it failed to NAIL the twin peaks vibe and feeling. I honestly felt deadly premonition did a far better job in that regard.

Honestly, my favorite setting/art direction are these:

Batman Arkham Asylum

Kingdom Hearts

Red Dead Redemption

Tell Tales: Walking Dead

Bioshock 1 (favorite out of all these)

Silent Hill 2, 3, and 4

Uncharted 2

Portal

Fable 2

Deadly Premenotion

DatDude

Banned
Yeah, the setting can hardly be considered a risk, as a nice setting and visuals are a huge selling point of many games.

I don't know how many games look like this. Honestly, the world just REEKS of Ken Levine signature mark, and many games fail to produce those visuals/setting.

I mean, this is an early screenshot, but just look how VIBRANT, COLORFUL, full of life and fantasy this 1 screenshot can bring. I struggle to do that for most games honestly.

2013-03-26_00008.jpg

Nome

After beating the game, I was jumping around the different chapters for fun, and in "Columbia Welcome Center" I found one of those black-and-white informercials I hadn't seen before, bringing my Sightseer achievement total to 33/37 (or something like that). So yeah, when you find new stuff, it will be tallied, BUT you won't carry over your weapons, powers, etc, from your most recent chapter -- you'll only have the items you had acquired as of when that chapter autosave was created. It's confusing, insofar as it doesn't tell you how many voxophones, etc, are in each chapter, so you can't really track where and how much you have left to find in any given area.

It's funny you mention this. In another thread, someone was complaining about Tomb Raider/Far Cry 3 outright listing the collectibles and side quests. There's definitely something gamey about lists, but for the collector, it sure does come in handy.

Sullichin

Finished 1999 and got scavenger hunt achievement. I'll probably do a normal run soon to get the remaining achievements, I'm close enough now that I feel compelled to get them all. The last area wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. Blood to Salt was the very last gear I got though which was annoying. Also annoyed I missed an infusion, still haven't gotten them all in one playthrough.
The atmosphere is genuinely good, I agree, but ultimately, that's just a fresh coat of paint over a second hand game, as far as I'm concerned.

It borrows most heavily from Bioshock 2, both in terms of story and gameplay, so if you played that alongside Infinite, maybe you'd see my point more clearly. They expanded Plasmids with trap and combo possibilities and altered melee and gunplay to suit the player's role as a Big Daddy. In terms of story, it's even more similar, given the dynamic between the player character, the girl he's protecting and the Big Sister. That was also linked more in narrative than gameplay, but apparently the lead on B2 had a role in developing Infinite as well, so that's to be expected.

Not that I was expecting anyone in here to agree with me. Just had to be said.
I've played Bioshock 2. The gameplay is all about setting up traps as you wait for enemies to come and rush into small rooms. Infinite isn't really like that. Sure there's traps but the environments are usually much bigger, enemies don't run into a straight line toward a single point, and you don't have time to set up traps before triggering a timed objective. Would you rather the third game in a series share absolutely nothing with its predecessors?

Or how about that blues-y rendition of
Tainted Love

Huh. Where was this in the game?

spekkeh

Banned
I don't know how many games look like this. Honestly, the world just REEKS of Ken Levine signature mark, and many games fail to produce those visuals/setting.

I mean, this is an early screenshot, but just look how VIBRANT, COLORFUL, full of life and fantasy this 1 screenshot can bring. I struggle to do that for most games honestly.

None, the setting is truly stellar. Also the first good use of the god ray. But you said that they took a risk with it

None, the setting is truly stellar. Also the first good use of the god ray. But you said that they took a risk with it

He has a point. It has that shiny happy aesthetic that isn't really much used and considered appealing for 'gamers'.

Normally games targeted to young adults and above like Infinite will have this dark, gritty aesthetic.

Yes, I know about what happens in the 2nd half of the game but it's not what's used to promote Infinite

Fjordson

That scene is amazing. Beautiful color and an abundance of detail. I love how the other islands in the background look.

beastmode

He has a point. It has that shiny happy aesthetic that isn't really much used and considered appealing for 'gamers'.

Normally games targeted to young adults and above like Infinite will have this dark, gritty aesthetic.

Yes, I know about what happens in the 2nd half of the game but it's not what's used to promote Infinite
The box art is literally a gritty white guy with a gun standing by a burning flag.

Sblargh

Banned
It's funny you mention this. In another thread, someone was complaining about Tomb Raider/Far Cry 3 outright listing the collectibles and side quests. There's definitely something gamey about lists, but for the collector, it sure does come in handy.

I prefer them. It's one thing that I think it boils down to personal taste, so my personal taste on the matter is that in-game list prevent me from alt+tabbing into some web page.

Himself

Finished it last night and let it sink in a bit. Columbia is one of the most creatively abundant game worlds I've been in since...well, probably Rapture. From the title screen to the final cut scene the game continuously hits the player with evocative imagery and imaginative design.

I don't agree with the sentiment that the middle dragged. It seemed like an integral bridge between how the game begins and what happens during the final third of the game. Plus it was fun! I had fun scavenging, learning about Columbia, fucking with vigors, etc.

Now to decide whether or not to bite on that season pass...

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on the defend the thing mission. Gameplay wise it might be the worst FPS game i've played this generation. At least Haze had a decent difficulty curve and Timeshift had some neat features that actually impacted the gameplay, and neither had problems of infinitely respawing enemies that took 2 full damn clips right into the head to kill anyone, at least that I can remember.

I mean I didn't expect it to have more than mediocre gunplay, but I didn't think some of the scenarios they put you through would be actively terrible, hampered further by an atrocious checkpoint system.

kurahador

I'm on the defend the thing mission. Gameplay wise it might be the worst FPS game i've played this generation. At least Haze had a decent difficulty curve and Timeshift had some neat features that actually impacted the gameplay, and neither had problems of infinitely respawing enemies that took 2 full damn clips right into the head to kill anyone, at least that I can remember.

I mean I didn't expect it to have more than mediocre gunplay, but I didn't think some of the scenarios they put you through would be actively terrible, hampered further by an atrocious checkpoint system.

lmao...only on gaf can you find ppl who said something like this and praising Haze.

Riposte

You probably shouldn't call a game the worst ever because you are keep dying at it.

bs000

Anybody see this hidden song in Bioshock yet?
(It's fairly early on in the game, Booth area)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVv19TCBifQ (no spoilers don't worry)

I have a feeling we'll get more lol (wait nm sounds like the same thing? just different speed) Anyways. STRANGE

x-post from the spoiler thread (no spoilers):

Both those videos are the same music/song, but one is sped up more. At 800% it sounds like a guy singing softly. At 1000% it sounds like a woman singing. I scrubbed through some of my recordings for more, but it seems it's the same song repeated in multiple sections of the game. In some areas, like the one in the Gamesradar video, some of the middle part is cut out.

I'm not sure if this is the most complete version, but here it is at 10x, 8x, and 1x: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK74rxBDd-I

She's over halfway. Also, are you referring to the
Lady Comstock fight?
That is not generally seen as the slow part, more like the frustrating part.
Man, I don't know what I'm going to think of myself if I go through this game without getting all the voxophones. I know I probably missed one already if there was one in that
first cipher
. What does that say about my exploration abilities? I think I have about 34/80.

Going to play for another 30 - 45 minutes right now.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Funny, because there's no infinitely spawning enemies in Infinite either!

I'm pretty sure that 3 stage boss battle counts as infinitely spawning enemies. And now on the defense section, the second that you kill the patriots it literally instantly spawns new ones until you take out the zeppelins.

You probably shouldn't call a game the worst ever because you are keep dying at it.

I'm not complaining about the challenge though. I'm complaining about the type of challenge, and the fact that challenge is increadibly uneven. It's just extremely poor pacing to have commonly spawned enemies lasting for more than a full clip of any gun, even with headshots. And I didn't call it the worst ever, just the worst gameplaywise of the FPSs I've happened to play this current generation, specifically for the boss and defense sections. Its a genre where serviceable gunplay is very very easy to come by.

Maybe I'm just missing some big element to make everything fall in place, or maybe I spec'd in the wrong direction, but that's just been my personal experience. The skylines are kindof a cool way to jump from different cover to get new vantage points on enemy cover

Scrabble

Anyone feel the voxophones weren't as well implemented as the audio recordings in the original? I feel in Infinite it's too easy to miss crucial plot information because you didn't find a voxophone tucked away in a corner somewhere. I think they did a better job in the original of making sure the player wouldn't miss an audio recording if it was vital to the plot. And it's not like I didn't explore, far from it. I took my time searching every nook and cranny and just taking in the atmosphere, and I still had a missing voxophone or two by the end of my 2nd playthrough that would have made a few plot details make much more sense.

LiK

I'm pretty tempted to buy the limited edition strategy guide just so I can have that replica key.

Worth it. And the guide is really nice with transcripts of all the Voxophones as well and stats for all enemies and a catalog of the guns.

Andrew.

Banned
Contemplating doing a Medium run using limited resources or something. I cant get enough of this game, and everything else I feel Ill attempt to play will pale in comparison when it comes down to sheer enjoyment.

About 15+ hours into the game. A lot happened.
The combat space right outside the Lady Airship was fun, but sometimes I'd hop down and not be able to get back on the skyrails immediately because I couldn't find a certain point. Got a little annoying.

It's a lot of fun to have an RPG in hand and blast your enemies away as you're riding the skyrails.

Can't believe Elizabeth murdered Fitzroy, and what an end to Fink. Though why did Fitzroy wait through that battle to murder the kid? I understand this universe a lot better, but none of this still explains why everyone wasn't in gasps when they saw Booker seeing as how he's supposed to be a martyr.

I love the little details in this game. The bloody handkerchief on your hand, Elizabeth's clothes getting dirtier....

This HM fight was easier than the first.

This artbook is fascinating. So many gruesome enemies that didn't make the cut and interesting ideas getting chopped.

yeah its a shame there isnt more commentary since it was quite fascinating seeing how different the original ideas were, and for example using a generic grounded city vs in the sky

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
is there any way to get the preorder DLC now?

When games are $60 I typically wait for reviews and/or impressions before jumping in...

Platform? You can buy a Stream code for the DLC season pass (all three packs) on Green Man Gaming for ~$24.

DSmalls84

Is there any way to get the preorder dlc for the PC version? Like the Comstock China Broom etc? Will they sell these extra skins later?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
If I loved both Bioshock 1 & 2, should I get Infinite? People seems to be praising Infinite a lot, but the shooting gameplay seems to be rather disappointing from what I heard.

But if I liked the other Bioshocks, surely i'll like this one too right?

If I loved both Bioshock 1 & 2, should I get Infinite? People seems to be praising Infinite a lot, but the shooting gameplay seems to be rather disappointing from what I heard.

YES! And the shooting is great!

LiK

Shooting is not disappointing. It's better than the previous games.

ced

Finally finished it last night, I'm falling on the slightly disappointed side of the fence right now, but I will say the end (after the last battles) really makes the game. One of my favorite endings in a movie or game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

I thought the shooting was pretty rubbish in BioShock, better in BioShock 2, and easily at its best in Infinite. It feels tighter, more satisfying, and smarter in combat design.

Andrew.

Banned

If you liked the other two, this one will blow you the fuck away.

And the gunplay and combat is excellent and a hell of a lot fun.

Definitely. If you enjoyed BioShock then you'll likely enjoy Infinite. The shooting gameplay isn't amazing but it is certainly better than Bioshock and when you're combining the shooting with Vigors, its very fun.

Andrew.

Banned
I'm pretty sure that 3 stage boss battle counts as infinitely spawning enemies. And now on the defense section, the second that you kill the patriots it literally instantly spawns new ones until you take out the zeppelins.

In both of those sections there is a limited amount of enemies. There's a lot no doubt, but there are zero infinite respawns in this game. The Patriots later on
arrive on barges, that, if you time right the Bird can take out. I finished that battle on 1999 and the third wave of Pats didnt even show up.

Contemplating doing a Medium run using limited resources or something. I cant get enough of this game, and everything else I feel Ill attempt to play will pale in comparison when it comes down to sheer enjoyment.

I am having the same problem. I am killing myself trying to finish Tomb Raider (I think the game is great) but I keep thinking of Columbia and playing more of Infinite.

Haunted

Anybody see this hidden song in Bioshock yet?
(It's fairly early on in the game, Booth area)
It's not uncommon for sound designers to just take an existing song (sample) and slow it down to create a kind of unsettling creepy long drawn out atmospheric ambient sound.

Works very well with a lot of different sounding samples and it's a common technique. Especially back when you had limited space available for that stuff, re-using the same tracks at different speeds was economic.

omg_mjd

Well this is ironic--finishing Bioshock Infinite has made me excited about first-person shooters again so I bought a few that were on sale recently (Hard Reset, Metro 2033, Painkiller H&D, Borderlands 2).

So I've played a bit of Hard Reset but so far I just find myself wishing I was playing Infinite instead. Or that at least there was an AI partner hanging around and tossing me coins and shit.

Going to try Metro next but going in with much lowered expectations lest I regret adding all these games to my backlog.

Andrew.

Banned
I am having the same problem. I am killing myself trying to finish Tomb Raider (I think the game is great) but I keep thinking of Columbia and playing more of Infinite.

I was actually thinking of giving Resistance 3 a whirl since its supposed to be one of the better SP campaigns this gen. I just hope I dont start it, and then ten minutes later pop it out and revisit Columbia. (Not that that would be a bad thing per say)

Jarmel

Banned
I think the game peaked during the Hall of Heroes. Everything worked so well there and right after on the docks. That said, the rest is really solid. Levine outdid himself.

Top Bottom