• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

pj

Banned
I don't know how many games look like this. Honestly, the world just REEKS of Ken Levine signature mark, and many games fail to produce those visuals/setting.

I mean, this is an early screenshot, but just look how VIBRANT, COLORFUL, full of life and fantasy this 1 screenshot can bring. I struggle to do that for most games honestly.

Every screenshot of this game is from the first hour and a half

Andrew.

Banned
Im not sure if it was mentioned, but I discovered last night that if you let the initial title screen sit for awhile, the "Beast of America" trailer comes on, song and all.

papercamm

Is it not like the PC version?

The chapter select appears to just be a fat list of save points at those specific parts of the game.

On the PS3 version the chapter select was a list of checkpoints made from my previous run through of the game. I'm not sure what happens to them once a new game is started.

Trigger

The chapter select appears to just be a fat list of save points at those specific parts of the game.

I don't recall an option to choose chapters once you start a new game. It's possible I missed it since my second run was a one day easy mode run.

kurahador

Yeah...once you start a new game, your old save points will be overwritten each time you arrive at that particular checkpoints.

LiK

GameFront did a workaround video to back up saves so you can have multiple saves on PC. Their only disclaimer is that they're not sure if it screws up achievements on Steam.

Himself

I was actually thinking of giving Resistance 3 a whirl since its supposed to be one of the better SP campaigns this gen. I just hope I dont start it, and then ten minutes later pop it out and revisit Columbia. (Not that that would be a bad thing per say)

Resistance 3 undoubtably has better shooting, but the world and alternate history, as imaginitive as it is, just isn't on the level of Columbia so you may be disappointed.

Luigi87

I hate how the game is checkpoint based.

It's like I play and then "Okay, I'll stop at the next checkpoint" and then something awesome happens and it's all "Okay, the next checkpoint for sure..."

Grisby

You know, I was actually thinking a lot about Ravens Singularity while playing through this. I mean, it's a bioshock/system shock deal through and through but they still have some similar thematic points.
I hate how the game is checkpoint based.

It's like I play and then "Okay, I'll stop at the next checkpoint" and then something awesome happens and it's all "Okay, the next checkpoint for sure..."
Yeah, it blows. Dead Space 3 had a similar problem but that was because of the co-op system.

Dunkelgrau

Just started with Bioshock Infinite.

Is 13.3 worth to install or should I stay at 13.1 (HD 6850).

Also I ask myself, if I should make my first playthrough in 1999-Mode. Or is the hard difficulty okay?

LiK

]blacky[;52776900 said:

Also I ask myself, if I should make my first playthrough in 1999-Mode. Or is the hard difficulty okay?

Go Hard. 1999 should not be attempted for a first playthrough, IMO

You don't like checkpoint saves or do you not trust automatic saves?

I want to easily save a spot that i want to replay whenever I want.

Trigger

]blacky[;52776900 said:

Do hard mode. 1999 is best saved for when you can predict the encounters.

waters10

Neo Member
I feel like if Infinite wasn't being praised as much, half these negative comments wouldn't exist.

Look, I know Infinite has flaws. I agree, it's not a perfect game.

Some pieces feel awkward.

Some of the gunplay feels a bit stale, compared to where it could be.

The level design is more linear than hub like.

I mean, I can go down the list. Yeah, Infinite has flaws. But at the same time, I just don't understand how some can go "Ugh, worst game I've ever played. Or BAH, dude bro cliffy b crap."

I mean, come on now? An for some people to say no love was put into this game?

I mean, what are you guys playing that is better than this, or making you think this is uninspired crap? Please, point me in that direction, because besides some great indie games, there's really nothing on the market in the AAA big budget arena like Infinite.
I finished the game over last weekend and I'm now at around 30% on my second playthrough. But this is spot on.

Game has flaws and could be improved upon. But what this game does right, is sooooo above the other games, that in a sea of games getting 9s, I have NO problem this game getting 10s left and right. The atmosphere and how the narrative evolves and ties everything together is amazing.

The way the game is not centered around racism or religion and how these themes are secondary to the personal story of Booker and Liz reminds me a lot of Children of Men, a movie with incredible atmosphere and heavy themes behind it, but the central story is very personal. I can see people complaining about it, but honestly, that's what Irrational was going for. It was clearly their direction from the start, so if you were expecting something else, well you can say it's not your cup of tea, but can't say the game is crap.

No, it's not perfect, but it's such an unique experience that it demands recognition, even if you can't look past its flaws.

Wunder

How do I kill
handymen
? Every time I get into a fight with one I die about 10 times, they just bumrush me and I die in 3 hits. The last fight the mob straight up disappeared after I'd died 5 times or so. Playing on Hard and these guys give me the most trouble by far.

Trigger

How do I kill
handymen
? Every time I get into a fight with one I die about 10 times, they just bumrush me and I die in 3 hits. The last fight the mob straight up disappeared after I'd died 5 times or so. Playing on Hard and these guys give me the most trouble by far.

Crows are a man's best friend.

Jarmel

Banned
How do I kill
handymen

Best strategy for me was to stay on the rails till they're about to shock the rails. Jump off and shoot at them while they're still holding on to the rails. Wash and repeat.

Andrew.

Banned
How do I kill
handymen

Which fight is it? There are four and two of them can be complete cheese-a-thons regardless of difficulty

1) Finkton
2) Outside the factory
3) Emporia thoroughfare

or 4)
Comstocks flagship

yeah I regretted my current 1999 first time play through - not because I dont think I could finish it, its just not atmospheric as I don't feel powerful (I restarted from normal since I thought game was too easy - reached about halfway in game on normal). Its likely fine for a second playthrough where you feel like mixing things up.

Probably gonna restart Hard and hope that gets the balance right.

Wunder

Crows are a man's best friend.

Tried that, been swapping between all the powers that seem to 'stun' the dude, I either run out of vigor or run out of ammo and have to reload. Needless to say I can't seem to do it with a full vigor bar.

Best strategy for me was to stay on the rails till they're about to shock the rails. Jump off and shoot at them while they're still holding on to the rails. Wash and repeat.

I actually tried to do that but I think I usually lose track of them when they do that and the window is too small that I dont get enough damage in.

Which fight is it?

Every fight, but the fight where the mob disappeared was the 3rd time I fought him
on the way to Comstock house?

Thanks for the advice though, I'll try them again when I next see one of them!

Andrew.

Banned
So I'm a little ways out from the first
Lady Comstock
fight on 1999 mode...is there a proven way to make the fight(s) not slow and excruciating?

Shawn Combo that shit. (Charge + Aid + explosive upgrade, Blood to Salt, Vamp Embrace, Last Man Standing & Elec Punch)

Return to Sender I hear works pretty good too or the Spectral Sidekick method

Jarmel

Banned
I actually tried to do that but I think I usually lose track of them when they do that and the window is too small that I dont get enough damage in.

There really isn't any great strategy as far as I'm aware other than just grinding them down.

Karak

So i just finished Angry Centaur Bioshock Infinite Gameplay Walkthrough Part 10 and I am finding myself a bit frustrated with the changes to the overall gameplay and would love some help.

The enemies that start showing up with the lobbing grenade(fiery) gun things. Sorry but I can't remember the name. Their splash damage and radius is freakish at times. Having a HARD time. Shock works for controlling them a bit but overall deaths have climbed to an unacceptable number.

Does anyone have a good plan for taking down those fuckers?

I am having a hard enough time I have stepped away for a bit before moving on to the next walk through. God damn they are my own personal nemesis.

Andrew.

Banned
There really isn't any great strategy as far as I'm aware other than just grinding them down.

If you have enough Salts and your shotgun damage is upgraded enough, you can literally just keep them pinned with crows and blasting them while they're swatting them away.

I dont like the rail method because too many times he started shocking it while I was still waiting to jump off onto safe ground.

Andrew.

Banned
So i just finished Angry Centaur Bioshock Gameplay Walkthrough Part 10 and I am finding myself a bit frustrated with the changes to the overall gameplay and would love some help.

The enemies that start showing up with the lobbing grenade(fiery) gun things. Sorry but I can't remember the name. Their splash damage and radius is freakish at times. Having a HARD time. Shock works for controlling them a bit but overall deaths have climbed to an unacceptable number.

Does anyone have a good plan for taking down those fuckers?

I am having a hard enough time I have stepped away for a bit before moving on to the next walk through. God damn they are my own personal nemesis.

original Bioshock? Nitro Splicers you mean? Bolt -> Headshots primarily and anti personnel rounds until you start getting upgrades. The first couple can be real pains in the ass. especially the first one. Catching their 'nades with Telekinesis and throwing them back at them works well too.

Liz's AI kinda does a disservice to the character at times. I appreciate that she wanders around or leans on objects and doesn't just stand in one place looking at you all the time, certainly I appreciate the hundreds if not thousands of hours that went into making her work as well as she does, but maybe because of the character that the plot paints, her actions seem a bit too comical sometimes.

Last night I'm wandering around and she stops and bends over in front of the FINK on a statue like she's looking right through the thing and has no idea what letters are. Actually, almost every time she starts staring at something it seems odd, like, "Hey Liz, you alright? Is there a bug on the corner of that coffee table?" She starts making interested noises and I go take a look only to see her trotting away from an empty garbage can or something.

I also feel like the elevator conversations are frequently out of place emotionally, or in a couple cases have literally reiterated something she just said before we walked into the elevator. Whenever you start thinking of Mass Effect 1 elevators as a better example of something, something's wrong.

Just being nitpicky and silly really. I hope I have time to breathe and actually finish this this weekend.

Karak

original Bioshock? Nitro Splicers you mean? Bolt -> Headshots primarily and anti personnel rounds until you start getting upgrades. The first couple can be real pains in the ass. especially the first one. Catching their 'nades with Telekinesis and throwing them back at them works well too.

Shit sorry dude. No I mean Infinite. I wish I could remember the guns name.

But they start showing up when you get back to the airship after doing the quests for the gun collection. The guns are big fiery lobbers. I can't remember there names but I swear to shit they seek you out:( Painfully hard for me. I try not to rush in but well it doesn't really matter because they SMOTE the shit out of me regardless if I hide like a wuss or go wade right in:)

Maybe I should try using the tentacle pulling/pushing vigor more?

When I get home I will go into the game and find out the name of that fucking gun:)

Andrew.

Banned
Shit sorry dude. No I mean Infinite. I wish I could remember the guns name.

But they start showing up when you get back to the airship after doing the quests for the gun collection. The guns are big fiery lobbers. I can't remember there names but I swear to shit they seek you out:( Painfully hard for me. I try not to rush in but well it doesn't really matter because they SMOTE the shit out of me regardless if I hide like a wuss or go wade right in:)

Maybe I should try using the tentacle pulling/pushing vigor more?

When I get home I will go into the game and find out the name of that fucking gun:)

Its all good. They're using Volleyguns. Shock works very well on them as does Charge or pulling them towards you with Undertow and then finishing them off up close with an upgraded strong close range gun like the Handcannon or Shotgun. More often than not using Shock and making a few good critical shots makes their heads explode. Setting up Crow Traps is good as well. Or..you could always use Possession. If you have the 50$ upgrade that makes them auto suicide afterwards itll make things easier as well.

Sullichin

Its all good. They're using Volleyguns. Shock works very well on them as does Charge or pulling them towards you with Undertow and then finishing them off up close with an upgraded strong close range gun like the Handcannon or Shotgun. More often than not using Shock and making a few good critical shots makes their heads explode.

Sounds like he's talking about the part where the Vox use hail fire, there's one checkpoint in particular that's pretty annoying.
If it's the checkpoint I'm thinking of, you can go to ground level on the left or get some higher ground on the right. Shock + critical hits is definitely a good strategy. I also like to distract them with crows and the mosqito tear so I can get closer to them. Upgraded crows + devils kiss + overkill is great in pretty much every encounter. Not a bad idea to possess them either for some free kills from their suicides.

arab

i find it hilarious that such a sweet girl hangs out with a detective who eats food from the trash and decapitates policemen while holding a cotton candy

Karak

Sounds like he's talking about the part where the Vox use hail fire, there's one checkpoint in particular that's pretty annoying.
If it's the checkpoint I'm thinking of, you can go to ground level on the left or get some higher ground on the right. Shock + critical hits is definitely a good strategy. I also like to distract them with crows and the mosqito tear so I can get closer to them. Upgraded crows + devils kiss + overkill is great in pretty much every encounter. Not a bad idea to possess them either for some free kills from their suicides.

Thanks guys. Both bits helped me.

I was indeed talking about this part above. I just didn't explain it good. They tore me a new ahole and actually really made me want to toss the damn controller. The higher ground on the right seemed like a good option but the flanking fuckers ruined that. Admittedly...that is just good AI. But for some reason that 1 spot seemed oddly hard out of the blue!

Thanks again.

I can now continue the playthroughs with a bit more planning. I will try the crows + devils kiss + overkill. I like those better than the shock anyway. Just due to their uniqueness.

kurahador

i find it hilarious that such a sweet girl hangs out with a detective who eats food from the trash and decapitates policemen while holding a cotton candy

She did screams when you melee executes someone in front of her though.

She's still a sweetheart.

Tunic

Finished my first playthrough last night. WOW! What an experience! I was definitely confused about the ending but the Spoiler thread helped clear away a few things for me there. Definitely one of my favorite gaming experiences that I have had in recent time. I will be going through with another run in 1999 mode and attempt to find the 8 Voxophones and 7 Kinetoscopes/Telescopes I had missed.

Is there an easy way to find out which ones I may have missed? Or is the only actual way to follow a walkthrough?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Liz's AI kinda does a disservice to the character at times. I appreciate that she wanders around or leans on objects and doesn't just stand in one place looking at you all the time, certainly I appreciate the hundreds if not thousands of hours that went into making her work as well as she does, but maybe because of the character that the plot paints, her actions seem a bit too comical sometimes.

Last night I'm wandering around and she stops and bends over in front of the FINK on a statue like she's looking right through the thing and has no idea what letters are. Actually, almost every time she starts staring at something it seems odd, like, "Hey Liz, you alright? Is there a bug on the corner of that coffee table?" She starts making interested noises and I go take a look only to see her trotting away from an empty garbage can or something.

I also feel like the elevator conversations are frequently out of place emotionally, or in a couple cases have literally reiterated something she just said before we walked into the elevator. Whenever you start thinking of Mass Effect 1 elevators as a better example of something, something's wrong.

Just being nitpicky and silly really. I hope I have time to breathe and actually finish this this weekend.

I don't feel that's really nitpicky or silly, as the small details are crucial to a character. Elizabeth is very overanimated at times, and I saw her commonly do her bend over and look around on stuff like a chair I couldn't see anyone ever actually doing. And yes, the elevators/story specific lockpick doors when she opens up with a line that isn't a random quip always makes me mind say "okay, plot time". Of course, if they don't have her talk at those predetermined points others would miss cues so it's a hard balance to strike.

A lot of devs have trouble making stuff like this work(understandably). Especially with little details, like ND trying to get Nate to interact with the enviroment more during normal travel. They ended up overdoing it and Drake now looked like a drunk with his arm always clinging to the wall. Skyrim acually implements all the stuff Elizabeth does as well and then some. This vampire chick from dawnguard chills on walls, sits on couches, walks over to smith weapons and cook food in a pot(in other people's houses). They again didn't really limit it so she is constantly doing it to the point of it seeming unnatural, though the sheer stupidity in this is atleast hilarious to me.

RyqdC5C.jpg

Luigi87

It only just occurred to me how Elizabeth will pick up ammo, health, salts, and money for Booker, yet lock picks, the one item she actually uses, she has Booker pick up.

NeoUltima

Trying to finish the game on 1999 mode and I'm stuck on a certain part...my PS3 keeps freezing during the ending. 6 times now. :|
edit: 7
edit: 8
edit: 9

Happens most often when (zomg spoiler)
I am getting 'smothered'

vazel

Banned
She tried to run away at one point. And like someone mentioned she gasps in horror everytime you do an execution.

Top Bottom