• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

How much money do you have on you? If you're able to afford Charge and at least one of its upgrades you will be in much, much better shape.

about $1700, I just got inside the bank.

At the end of the day, the combat just didn't click with me, I am just getting overwhelmed during most of the encounters...I think I should have played it on normal.

At the end of the day, the combat just didn't click with me, I am just getting overwhelmed during most of the encounters...I think I should have played it on normal.

I started on hard, got into a few encounters early on and noticed how badly I was getting damaged after every fight I finished.

I went, "Well, constantly worrying about my health is not how I want to play" and I switched it to Normal.

Normal is fairly easy, I never died, but there's a few challenging parts and a few parts where I very much had to worry about dying.

I think the text they put in to describe the difficulties are a bit off.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Currently dowloading. On PS3... (No way my shit PC was gonna play that decently.)

Did I do a good choice, GAF? (Loved the first Bioshock.)

Andrew.

Banned

At the end of the day it comes down to equipping the right gears and Vigors for the right battles.

Charge with the Shawn Combo and if you dont have everything to make the SC, make do with that you have out of it. The fights can easily be bested this way.

You can snipe the second round boss outside of the vault if you want to too.

JRW

Man, I'm having a really difficult time with
the Command deck level, that damn exposed core keeps getting destroyed despite my best efforts,
Ive been playing on Hard difficulty from the get go and really don't want to change it lol.

Currently dowloading. On PS3... (No way my shit PC was gonna play that decently.)

Did I do a good choice, GAF? (Loved the first Bioshock.)

PS3 version is really good. There's a bit of screen tearing in the first 15-20 minutes but it seems to go away when you begin the meat of the game. Framerate is pretty consistent too.

Andrew.

Banned
Man, I'm having a really difficult time with
the Command deck level, that damn exposed core keeps getting destroyed despite my best efforts,
Ive been playing on Hard difficulty from the get go and really don't want to change it lol.

Return to Sender traps on the
core works wonders. Use the Sky Rail to take out the blimps yourself and use the Bird to take out everything on the deck. Possess one of the Patriots too if you get the chance during each wave. Once again, the Charge combo works amazingly well here too.

beastmode

Game needs environmental puzzles for the vigors like in Zelda or something. Lotsa people getting frustrated trying to brute force later encounters without using them.

Grisby

There's an Irrational employee that posts in this thread right? I hope Irrational has some plans to release the OST or something to buy.

paully

Banned
How many fucking times am I going to have to fight
lady comstock
? My god this is the most frustrating part of the game. So many forced battles, and such a terrible boss fight in general.

I need something to be clarified. To get the trophy without buying anything from dollar bill in 1999 mode means only dollar bill kiosks right? I can upgrade my weapons and vigors right?

Dylan

I was actually surprised they fell into the
whole "do something 3 times" video game uber-cliché. When the game instructed me to "find 3 tears", I was fully expecting to find 1 of them and then have the game throw a total curve-ball and send me somewhere completely different, without ever returning for the other 2. That seemed like a very Bioshockian way to handle that situation, but unfortunately, no, it was just a good old fashioned fetch quest."

Fjordson

Just got the hardcover artbook delivered from Amazon. It's beautiful.

whole "do something 3 times" video game uber-cliché. When the game instructed me to "find 3 tears", I was fully expecting to find 1 of them and then have the game throw a total curve-ball and send me somewhere completely different, without ever returning for the other 2. That seemed like a very Bioshockian way to handle that situation, but unfortunately, no, it was just a good old fashioned fetch quest."
Yeah, that was my least favourite part of the game. Sort of dull. There are two sections in the game like that that really dragged for me. Doesn't fall into that anywhere else thankfully.

paully

Banned

Almost every mission in this game is a fetch quest, and there is always something preventing Booker from getting what he needs--invariably that leads to frustrating backtracking, and more frustrating enemy shootouts. I don't remember ever having these problems in Bioshock 1.

beastmode

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_three_(writing)

It's a shame this game is hidden behind a so-so shooter. What an amazing story, amazing music, amazing graphics. Everything but the shooting, which is most of the game, unfortunately.

Also, this game NEEDS a New Game + mode where everything carries over. A Nier-like 2nd playthrough mode would be even better, get additional amplification on some of the great themes in this game.

kurahador

Almost every mission in this game is a fetch quest, and there is always something preventing Booker from getting what he needs--invariably that leads to frustrating backtracking, and more frustrating enemy shootouts. I don't remember ever having these problems in Bioshock 1.

I think you remembered wrong. There're plenty of that in Bioshock 1.

Berto

Bioshock 1 is Fetch Quest: The Game.

I loved the ending personally but how many people are going to understand what all of it meant without looking at a discussion about it? (Including me). Your average joe isn't gonna browse forums and websites to get everything they throw at you at the end.

As good and clever as the ending is, surely it's also a failure to some degree as its just a convoluted mess without reading an explanation as it's very confusing. That's a failure on the developers part. You shouldn't have to look for info on it afterwards to understand it.

I loved the game but I felt it was also up its own ass at times too. Especially the narrative in general. A bit like the MGS4 ending.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

BioShock 1 had the same problem. It's Irrational's biggest flaw when constructing a narrative, in my opinion.
There's a lot of recycling objectives and tangent missions that serve a loose purpose of pushing the player through set pieces and scenarios. The whole "get to the blimp!" objective is used three or four times
. They hide it well enough with great gameplay and a strong narrative in Infinite, but it's the one thing that really drags the pacing down for me, as I become very conscious of how trivial and repetitive some of the objectives are.

Dylan

I loved the ending personally but how many people are going to understand what all of it meant without looking at a discussion about it? (Including me). Your average joe isn't gonna browse forums and websites to get everything they throw at you at the end.

As good and clever as the ending is, surely it's also a failure to some degree as its just a convoluted mess without reading an explanation as it's very confusing. That's a failure on the developers part. You shouldn't have to look for info on it afterwards to understand it.

I loved the game but I felt it was also up its own ass at times too. Especially the narrative in general. A bit like the MGS4 ending.

This is one of the most disappointing posts I've read about this game.

Surely, after playing the plethora of cliché'd action-movie-derived, brain-dead, uninspired, rote, pandering games released this gen, you'd be happy to play something that has the audacity to invite you to think?

t-ramp

This is one of the most disappointing posts I've read about this game.

Surely, after playing the plethora of cliché'd action-movie-derived, brain-dead, uninspired, pandering games released this gen, you'd be happy to play something that has the audacity to invite you to think?
The ending is amazing, but I think if it made a bit more sense it might be even better. I'll probably read the spoiler thread sometime soon, but as of now I only have a vague understanding of what occurred in the final few moments of the game and its meaning. In all honesty, I don't know if I could even come up with an explanation on my own.

I also think the final battle was forced into the game kind of crudely.

The point I was trying to make is that it never felt as frustrating as it does in Infinite.

This game is particularly bad about giving you some amazing-looking destination, then sending you on a 30-minute fetch quest to open the gate that conveniently appeared to block your progress. Usually that kind of thing doesn't bug me, but the couple of times they do it here are a real bummer.

paully

Banned
This game is particularly bad about giving you some amazing-looking destination, then sending you on a 30-minute fetch quest to open the gate that conveniently appeared to block your progress. Usually that kind of thing doesn't bug me, but the couple of times they do it here are a real bummer.

This happens in almost every single chapter. Booker just can't catch a break!

BioShock 1 had the same problem. It's Irrational's biggest flaw when constructing a narrative, in my opinion.
There's a lot of recycling objectives and tangent missions that serve a loose purpose of pushing the player through set pieces and scenarios. The whole "get to the blimp!" objective is used three or four times
. They hide it well enough with great gameplay and a strong narrative in Infinite, but it's the one thing that really drags the pacing down for me, as I become very conscious of how trivial and repetitive some of the objectives are.

Well said. Although, I disagree with you regarding Infinite's gameplay. I think the gameplay makes things even more frustrating due to the repetitive nature of the shooting.

--

I'm at
Comstock's House
right now and I feel like things are finally starting to get really interesting in terms of story. I think I'm starting to figure out what the twist is, but the place just oozes atmosphere, but I'm a little sick of shooting dudes.

Anyone have tips for 1999 mode? I'm going bald from pulling my hair out.

For weapons, stick to Carbine/Shotgun/Sniper/Hand Cannon

For Bigots, go Possession, Crows, Charge, Return to Sender. Upgrade them in that order.

Scrounge for everything. I had $1600 at the
last Finkton fight

For skyline battles, pray you get Winter Shield and Fire Bird and spam skyline strikes. Just watch out for Handymen electrifying the lines.

For Handymen in general, take out everyone else then stunlock them with Crows while unloading with your firearms.

For weapons, stick to Carbine/Shotgun/Sniper/Hand Cannon

For Bigots, go Possession, Crows, Charge, Return to Sender. Upgrade them in that order.

Scrounge for everything. I had $1600 at the
last Finkton fight

For skyline battles, pray you get Winter Shield and Fire Bird and spam skyline strikes. Just watch out for Handymen electrifying the lines.

For Handymen in general, take out everyone else then stunlock them with Crows while unloading with your firearms.

Thanks.

For the gear, I see you mention two? Is there other must haves? I feel like the gear is really overlooked in the game, its a buff, but can make or break a battle.

and tell them not go on rails too when you're fighting a handyman

I'm pretty sure you forgot that.

Just watch out for Handymen electrifying the lines.

Thanks.

For the gear, I see you mention two? Is there other must haves? I feel like the gear is really overlooked in the game, its a buff, but can make or break a battle.

Urgent Care (2x shield recharge rate/-1sec recharge delay) is very good. The electric punch and plus magazine capacity from the season pass are also very useful.

Top Bottom