• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

I'm gonna repeat myself but it still bugs me there is no manual save at all especially for the PC version.

Don't really like the checkpoint/save system either, but I think my biggest annoyance with comes with the how Infinite deals out punishment for you dying. I'd much prefer there be a checkpoint before every fight and when you die, you start over at that checkpoint. As it is the lack of consequence bugs me in an otherwise great combat system.

Heavy hitters, like MPs and HMs, would have to be given less health overall for this type of system to work.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Don't really like the checkpoint/save system either, but I think my biggest annoyance with comes with the how Infinite deals out punishment for you dying. I'd much prefer there be a checkpoint before every fight and when you die, you start over at that checkpoint. As it is the lack of consequence bugs me in an otherwise great combat system.

Heavy hitters, like MPs and HMs, would have to be given less health overall for this type of system to work.

It's especially annoying given the poor checkpointing, so even if you want to reload on death it forces you to rescavenge areas. Which is enough to make anyone just swallow the pill here.

Andrew.

Banned
As it is the lack of consequence bugs me in an otherwise great combat system .

I really hope you attempt 1999 after your initial run (everyone should really). The consequences arent THAT severe, but if you arent exploring and looting thoroughly, a 100 dollar penalty for death hurts like a bitch.

NeoUltima

Did you try reloading a checkpoint before the area you're in?

Guess I'll try that this time. My game has randomly frozen a lot since playing. But it has gotten progressively worse the more I play. This problem seems to occur with a lot of UE3 engine games (Borderlands, Batman, etc) on my PS3. But this one is taking the cake.

edit: yay, it worked. Thanks for the idea!

pakkit

Banned
When ever I ran into the rocket/hail fire enemies I would just possess them (as long as they aren't behind cover, the range for possession is insanely far). If you chain possess, the other person you possessed will commit suicide, so you could empty a room with possession en masse if you like. Personally, I used Charge to get close, Bucking Bronco to throw them in the air, and then I'd use the fire bomb trap vigor right beneath them. In combination with Overkill and Storm that would usually either stun or kill the rest of the room.

Feature

Banned
This is probably the first FPS I'm going to finish since 5 years or so. And I pretty much played them all but just didn't care to play again after I shut down my PC after the initial playtime.

Elizabeth is an amazing companion. For some reason I really like her and actually care about her (which I never do in any other game). I would feel bad if she actually died at some point. In every other game I couldn't care less.

Cudder

oh my god

Charge fully upgraded, with Blood to Salts and any other gear that improves melee is AMAZING.

handymen and certain bosses down in mere seconds.

I don't have the exact gear needed for the Shawn Combo, but whatever I have equipped right now is working wonders.

Never playing this game without Charge as one of my vigors again.

This is probably the first FPS I'm going to finish since 5 years or so. And I pretty much played them all but just didn't care to play again after I shut down my PC after the initial playtime.

Elizabeth is an amazing companion. For some reason I really like her and actually care about her (which I never do in any other game). I would feel bad if she actually died at some point. In every other game I couldn't care less.

I know a lot of people are comparing it to Call of Duty or Halo, but honestly I rarely, rarely play FPSes so using their formula just isn't that big a deal to me because I don't play FPSes at all. I think the last FPS I played before this was Bulletstorm (unless you count Dishonored). I don't play straight military shooters, they're just boring to me. But the fantastic powers and story of Bioshock makes it interesting.

Why is Bucking Bronco available to buy in the vending machine at the fair? Is there any way to afford it?

I think it's just there to demonstrate that Vigors are available for public consumption. They have the Bucking Bronco "test" tent as well, encouraging people to buy the Vigors.

Mr. F

Banned
Alrighty, worst boss fight ever.
Comstock ghost. The fuck do I do? Playing on hard, out of ammo for my good guns, and from what I've been reading online explosive weapons are best against her...except the only one I can find is a Heater and it does dick all before I get overwhelmed by minions or destroyed by her AOE attack.
Kind of putting a damper on my enjoyment. I'd bump down the difficulty but want to exhaust all options first.

Trigger

Comstock ghost. The fuck do I do? Playing on hard, out of ammo for my good guns, and from what I've been reading online explosive weapons are best against her...except the only one I can find is a Heater and it does dick all before I get overwhelmed by minions or destroyed by her AOE attack.
Kind of putting a damper on my enjoyment. I'd bump down the difficulty but want to exhaust all options first.

Cheesy method:
Are you in the graveyard? There is a crypt with with a medkit tear you can hide in. Mooks will not going inside and if you time your usage of Return to Sender you can hit the boss with a nice blast. Devil's Kiss and Bucking Bronco (upgraded) is also a magical combo.

Grinchy

Banned
]blacky[;52776900 said:
Just started with Bioshock Infinite.

Is 13.3 worth to install or should I stay at 13.1 (HD 6850).

Also I ask myself, if I should make my first playthrough in 1999-Mode. Or is the hard difficulty okay?

I was getting really shitty performance with 13.1 and went to 13.3 right away. I saw an improvement. That's with a shitty 6670 though.

You can beat
Lady Comstock
in literally less than a minute if you have a fully upgraded Charge vigor and the right gear. Even on 1999 mode it will go down super easily.

The gear I used was:
Burning Halo
Blood to Salt
Overkill
Last Man Standing

And literally I just ran up and spammed Charge a bunch of times (and that was on 1999). If you don't have Charge upgraded or the right gear, I suggest mix and matching and experimenting with your vigor combinations. This boss seems super resilient to conventional weapons but pretty vulnerable to vigors.

Why is Bucking Bronco available to buy in the vending machine at the fair? Is there any way to afford it?

Didn't some pre-order bonuses come with an extra 500 bucks? You could probably buy it right away if you had that.

Otherwise, I dunno. Can the fair games be played multiple times to farm silver eagles?

Dunkelgrau

I am in front of the skyline to "Hall of Heroes" to get "Shot Jockey". And the game tells me, that I can not use the switch of the skyline, while in combat. But there are no enemies left! Is this a bug or something?

noffles

Banned
]blacky[;52823637 said:
I am in front of the skyline to "Hall of Heroes" to get "Shot Jockey". And the game tells me, that I can not use the switch of the skyline, while in combat. But there are no enemies left! Is this a bug or something?

Scout around. You probably missed one in a shop or on a roof.

Dunkelgrau

Scout around. You probably missed one in a shop or on a roof.

I scouted around for about half an hour or something. No enemies left. I am the only one with this problem? I mean this is really annoying, GAF. We are talking about Bioshock Infinite. I haven’t had this kind of bugs for years.

]blacky[;52826727 said:
I scouted around for about half an hour or something. No enemies left. I am the only one with this problem? I mean this is really annoying, GAF. We are talking about Bioshock Infinite. I haven’t had this kind of bugs for years.

This has happened to me 3 times, and it's annoying every time. One time I thought it had happened but the sniper popped out of a wall and shot me. At least I didn't have to do the whole section again.

BTW, anybody know if there is a New Game+ for this?

Excessive amount of combat in this game, just beat the
the ghost in the graveyard, what an awful boss fight
. sad cause the game started out really strong...

What'd you resort to using? The fight is rubbish if you have the right gears and Bigots equipped.

I am playing on hard...died 5 or 6 times, kept running out of ammo and health kits. Finally beat it with the volley gun that was lying next to a tomb stone. Took a good 20 mins

Andrew.

Banned
I am playing on hard...died 5 or 6 times, kept running out of ammo and health kits. Finally beat it with the volley gun that was lying next to a tomb stone. Took a good 20 mins

How much money do you have on you? If you're able to afford Charge and at least one of its upgrades you will be in much, much better shape.

Top Bottom