• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Grisby

Blowing through 1999 mode all the way up until
Finks tower deal with Fitzroy
. Tried a few times and decided to call it a night. I just hate how it doesn't checkpoint you before the encounter itself.

Handymen kind of blow as an enemy. All they do it charge.

DatDude

Banned
Don't know if it's been posted yet, but Yahtzee did a Zero Punctuation on the game this week. He
likes it.
Was a pretty good watch, one of his better ones recently.

Also, am I crazy that I want to play the game a third time? I think I've fallen in love with Columbia in a way few other single-player story games have managed to do so far. Just beat 1999 mode a few days ago, but only near the end I found use of certain vigors and combinations I didn't use before. Now I read about the usefulness of Return to Sender, which I hardly ever used at all, and I wanna try new stuff out again. There are so many memorable moments in this game as well, I just want to replay them forever.

It really reminds me of playing bioshock 1 for the first time.

Such a special moment in my gaming life, but could never be repeat again, until Infinite that is.

Okay, beat on 1999 mode. Definitely the best shooter I've played, but man that twist was meh-worthy. That after-credits scene was rage-inducing.

What did you find rage inducing with the post credit scenes/

Varna

I normally do hate regenerating shields/health/whatever but the shields in 1999 mode are really quiet useless. At most they give you a tiny bit of leeway but you will only survive the bulk of encounters with your health as full as possible.

Ken Levine tweets are gold, Jerry, they're gold.
RT @jay_fury_: @IGLevine There's a lady I appreciate who doesn't appreciate value. What do I do? -Dress up like a clown and shout at her.
And he says he doesn't have it in him to make a comedy game...

Varna

Well I may never beat this game, like ever. The Zeppelin sequence is fucking bullshit. I give up

I have no idea why people are having problems with this section. Send Songbird after ships and zeppelins once they show up. Use possession to turn stronger enemies against weaker ones to give yourself some time. It is very easy to stay stocked on health and salts for this one. Once the zeppelins show up use the highest railing to get on the ship, dash for the engine and blow it up. Run out. Repeat.

I thought the section was pretty brilliant. Instead of having some bull shit boss fight they choose to have an encounter that combined everything you should have picked up on throughout the entire game. Going by the number of people bitching it will probably be the last time we get a section like this in a Bioshock game.

Toa TAK

Banned
I thought the section was pretty brilliant. Instead of having some bull shit boss fight they choose to have an encounter that combined everything you should have picked up on throughout the entire game. Going by the number of people bitching it will probably be the last time we get a section like this in a Bioshock game.
I sincerely hope not. For me, I was able to knock it out of the ball park in a single go on 1999 mode. It's my favorite part of the game for the exact reasons you stated. It's fun being able to go all out like that, and the final arena let's you do so
with Songbird no less.

I'm in the middle of Finkton right now and the last two chapters have been a blast - I wish the first two hours weren't so dull combat-wise. But I have a lot of criticisms.

1. There's zero enemy flanking. It sucks that I have to peek out walls when there isn't a lean function. At least it would be fun then.
2. Why do the carbine and sniper rifle have such low sensitivity when ADS? None of the other weapons are like that. It doesn't help with sniping on a PC. I'd love to fix that.
3. The outside of the Hall of Heroes was my first bullshit moment because you don't know where the deadly sniper is, and after you kill him the rest go into hiding when they're down to 2. It took me 20 minutes because I played cat-and-mouse while low on health and they just popped out of nowhere. I would have loved a minimap at that moment. Which leads me to the next two questions.
4. Why isn't there a general map? Not to find objectives but just to know where areas of interest are. I would love to be able to mark items and weapons of interest too, but you don't see that in modern games anymore.
5. There is blatant enemy spawning and it ruins combat more than anything. It showed up in spots in Hall of Heroes and there was a ridiculous moment in the Finkton bank with the motorized patriot. I was low on health when I entered the place so you know how well it went. You kill everybody on the ground floor, you look around and there are three policemen behind you WHEN THEY WEREN'T ANYWHERE BEFORE. And it always happened when I was low on ammo and had 1 health point left. I feel like dropping the difficulty from hard to medium just for that, and that upsets me because I'm fine with the challenge otherwise. I don't see any difficulty achievements besides Scavenger Hunt. Should I wuss out?

PBalfredo

I beat the game last night and it was amazing. I've spent much of today reading up on what everyone thought about the game. This topic's OP was extremely useful in putting together the finer points.

One of the things they absolutely nailed is how expressive Elizabeth is. This is put to use in a lot of dramatic moments. It also created some hilarious off-the-cuff moments like when I ran into the scene with the Lutece twins after
the airship crash
. They go through their back-and-forth Lewis Carroll wordplay and nonsense then suddenly disappear, then I turn to look at Elizabeth...

wHibxpD.jpg

4ymBsOA.jpg

"No, I don't get it either, Elizabeth"

louiedog

I normally do hate regenerating shields/health/whatever but the shields in 1999 mode are really quiet useless. At most they give you a tiny bit of leeway but you will only survive the bulk of encounters with your health as full as possible.

I had a different experience with the way that I approached combat. Shields allowed me to pop out and throw down some traps or run up to a crowd and briefly incapacitate them while I started to chain attacks together.

Ce-Lin

The last battle is the easiest in the game, you just need to be aware of what you did learn along the way up there, you can use tons of vigor combos, cheese your win with Return to Sender traps layed by and attached to
the Zeppelin core
call
Songbird
to destroy enemy ships if you don't feel like using skyhooks, teleport with Charge + Shotgun to RPG guys and dispatch them quickly, Possess + Shock Jockey for hilarity and breathing room...

I don't know, it's just a reward, a chance to play around with everything you're supposed to have mastered along the way, it's not hard at all, well, if you don't play it running around with a Sniper rifle and $5 left since you rushed your ass to that battle instead of playing carefully making everything you find, this is, if you happen to stop and look, count.

If for some reason next Bioshock game is stripped off these "challenges" it would be a real shame, guess with so many complaining at the only two fights midly challenging in the game Ken is rolling his eyes thinking "what did you want, a text adventure game ?"

TTG

Makai

What did you find rage inducing with the post credit scenes/
Twist at the end was hyped as major mindfuck but came across as boring at best and LOL-worthy at worst on my playthrough (
maybe you guys played an alternate game from another world :)
). I knew there was a scene after the credits so there was still hope for a big reveal! So I wait through that arduously long credit sequence w/ a behind-the-scenes of the voice actors performing a song. It felt like 15 minutes or longer. Finally the next scene pops up, I'm hyped. Maybe the mind-fuck is here!

and then...

"Anna are you there?"

Cut to black.

AGHHHHHHH!!!!

What was the point of that?
Wannabe Inception ending

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Have you guys put any thought into what you want from the DLC for Infinite?

I just want the alternate reality DLC where Booker and Elizabeth go to Paris and chill out eating croissants and crepes and live happily ever after in a French chateau. Take all of my money 2K and Irrational. Just make it happen.

Also, I haven't seen this posted yet (from the 2K forums):

In the Possession vigor, Shakespeare Dialogue Hidden is hidden in reversed audio

http://youtu.be/JnLfQPZBSC4?t=33s

When you first get the Possession Vigor at the Fairgrounds, a ghostly whisper can be heard from the green spirit lady thing. There's no intelligible dialogue, but when the sound is reversed, the whispers turn into several lines quoted from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.

Romeo and Juliet
Act 3, Scene 2

Come, gentle night, come, loving, black-browed night,
Give me my Romeo. And when I shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,

Dunlop

so about the
command deck

I keep failing
although I do not see how I could kill anything faster, enemies and gunships included

I feel like I'm missing something, is there anything else I should be doing

JB1981

I have no idea why people are having problems with this section. Send Songbird after ships and zeppelins once they show up. Use possession to turn stronger enemies against weaker ones to give yourself some time. It is very easy to stay stocked on health and salts for this one. Once the zeppelins show up use the highest railing to get on the ship, dash for the engine and blow it up. Run out. Repeat.

I ended up beating it late last night but I am not even sure how lol. I used Return to Sender on the engine, called Songbird for the zepps, fired rockets down on enemies from the highest section of the ship. I never boarded the ships (good idea).... This was on hard mode. I got a better handle of if as I played on but I did think it was hard to formulate a strategy when you consider how many directions you are getting attacked from. You make a good point about the designers incorporating all the abilities n skills you've learned throughout the course of the game. Honestly I'm not that good at the game. Well, I got better toward the end but I dies A LOT, didnt really use my Vigors probably til the last few hours of the campaign, and rarely took advantage of my Gear. I need to play it again now that I have a better handle on the gameplay. The ending was a mindfuck though. I've never played a game quite like this. I think it lived up to the hype. A remarkable game

JB1981

so basically you played the game as it was another run-of-the-mill shooter, no wonder you struggled with the challenging parts, even on hard, man up and get that 1999 mode done son ! :p

Honestly yea I kind of did. I want to play thru it again and experiment with vigor combos

Had a really cool moment yesterday (don't remember this from my first playthrough). I got to entrance of
Soldier's Field where the snipers start firing at you. I was there without a sniper, and I turn around to see Elizabeth throwing me a sniper. So cool!

I'm on a normal play through grabbing as many achievements as I can, including the voxophone and Sightseer achievements, then I'm going to do a 1999 run.

So I'm on my way back to Soldier's Field and I come across that encounter where the
Fireman is waiting for you, along with a whole bunch of soldiers. At one point during the fight I fell back to one of the houses then blocked both entrances off with Shock Jockey traps. Fireman walked right into them and I was able to kill him while he was stunned.

So cool!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Have you guys watched Lapslappin's videos? His Far Cry 3 videos were incredible, and his Bioshock Infinite videos are also pretty good:

Vigor Test 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w81QmjRamts

Vigor Test 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRIHwJgoOd4

Rail Battle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNdv42-dytg

May contain spoilers depending on what you consider a spoiler. No cutscenes though, only combat.

Man those were very good, I feel like I played the game wrong! To be honest I had no idea how to use Undertow, never used Charged (even though I loved the shotgun), and used Return to Sender only once. Not to mention I never, ever used traps. I feel I played the game wrong.

For my 1999 playthrough, I'll definitely use them all.

Ce-Lin

Honestly yea I kind of did. I want to play thru it again and experiment with vigor combos

after picking Shock Jockey, use Possess immediately followed by Shock, enjoy ! that will keep you in pretty good shape playing on 1999 difficulty until you get Charge, Possess every vending machine and save money to upgrade that Vigor along with Shock and Charge, also, upgrade your fav weapons (Shotgun + Carbine is the best combo). You know what to do when you get Return to Sender. 1999 is really easy.

Man those were very good, I feel like I played the game wrong! To be honest I had no idea how to use Undertow, never used Charged (even though I loved the shotgun), and used Return to Sender only once. Not to mention I never, ever used traps. I feel I played the game wrong.

For my 1999 playthrough, I'll definitely use them all.

go watch some Twitch.TV stream of Bioshock Infinite, that will tell you why people keep disliking BI combat but at the same time they're playing it with tunnel vision ignoring everything but sniper rifles. The game is designed to have fun and get rewarded from using the right Vigor combos and traps, if you only want to shoot some bullets there's plenty of CoD games out there, in my opinion of course.

JB1981

Never realized how effective Undertow is for dispatching heavies off a ledge.

I wish there was a practice mode where you can experiment with all the Vigors

Seems with my next play through it would be best to max out Vigor infusions and save money to upgrade the best weapons.

Gbraga

go watch some Twitch.TV stream of Bioshock Infinite, that will tell you why people keep disliking BI combat but at the same time they're playing it with tunnel vision ignoring everything but sniper rifles. The game is designed to have fun and get rewarded from using the right Vigor combos and traps, if you only want to shoot some bullets there's plenty of CoD games out there, in my opinion of course.

Same reason you keep seeing people say how Crysis is "generic". They're too lazy to find out what makes the combat different and just label it as the same because the game lets you play the same way.

What were they expecting, a pop-up saying "YOU'RE PLAYING LIKE COD, THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT WAY DUDE"? There are vigors, use them. There are skyrails, use them. There are gears, use them.

louiedog

so about the
command deck

I keep failing
although I do not see how I could kill anything faster, enemies and gunships included

I feel like I'm missing something, is there anything else I should be doing

A couple of tips:

Songbird regenerates much faster after attacking guys on the deck than he does after zeppelins.
Zeppelins can be boarded.

Varna

I sincerely hope not. For me, I was able to knock it out of the ball park in a single go on 1999 mode. It's my favorite part of the game for the exact reasons you stated. It's fun being able to go all out like that, and the final arena let's you do so
with Songbird no less.

The entire game is more Call of Duty'ish because that's what they perceive people to want. It's only down hill from here.

I had a different experience with the way that I approached combat. Shields allowed me to pop out and throw down some traps or run up to a crowd and briefly incapacitate them while I started to chain attacks together.

This is what I attempted at first. But enemies pretty have auto aiming and always seem to know where you are.

Same reason you keep seeing people say how Crysis is "generic". They're too lazy to find out what makes the combat different and just label it as the same because the game lets you play the same way.

This isn't great logic. Why should people be going out of their way to make the more game more complicated for themselves just because the devs were scarred to really make require more thought?

Crysis also has delta mode that pretty much requires more thought for everything too. Even 1999 mode isn't as involved as this.

beastmode

Have you guys watched Lapslappin's videos? His Far Cry 3 videos were incredible, and his Bioshock Infinite videos are also pretty good:

Vigor Test 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w81QmjRamts

Vigor Test 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRIHwJgoOd4

Rail Battle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNdv42-dytg

May contain spoilers depending on what you consider a spoiler. No cutscenes though, only combat.
Too slow for me.

Stuff I recorded:
Skylines: http://youtu.be/WUAKpFoovg0?t=1m15s
Vigors: http://youtu.be/_ovH9JRLitE
Handyman: http://youtu.be/uBtjmKkPxhw

Grisby

Well...that was odd. I was doing the battle (mid game spoilers)
right before Elizabeth kills Fitzroy
and I didn't have to fight aa handyman. He came and I heard him but then I guess he fell off a ledge maybe?

Nice boon to my 1999 playthrough. That was giving me some trouble.

Crysis also has delta mode that pretty much requires more thought for everything too. Even 1999 mode isn't as involved as this.

1999 mode encourages conservative play. Trying to use the skylines creatively or basically do anything besides turtle from cover is practically suicide.

Gbraga

This isn't great logic. Why should people be going out of their way to make the more game more complicated for themselves just because the devs were scarred to really make require more thought?

Well, I'm playing on hard and I really can't see someone being successful just running and shooting, using your vigors seems to be really necessary. I may be wrong though.

And Crysis is really easy even on Delta, but that may be because I never tried to "play it the wrong way"

You got yourself a new subscriber

louiedog

Well...that was odd. I was doing the battle (mid game spoilers)
right before Elizabeth kills Fitzroy
and I didn't have to fight aa handyman. He came and I heard him but then I guess he fell off a ledge maybe?

Nice boon to my 1999 playthrough. That was giving me some trouble.

I had the same thing happen in a different place. Handyman killed me in a fight where I was struggling, I revived, killed a regular enemy that had been hanging out on the opposite side of the area, and the battle was over. I've seen a couple of other stories like it, so maybe a somewhat common bug.

Disagreed.

The game even on 1999 mode allows you to experiment.

I never thought it ever punished me for bieng creative.

I agree that you can still experiment and pretty much need to because different strategies are required. However, on Normal mode I was able to upgrade every single vigor and play around with them as well as max out every weapon that I used regularly. I couldn't do that on 1999 so it was good that I knew which vigors worked for me.

beastmode

I was wondering how the fuck you were pulling that off in the Vigors video until I saw that ice freezing over your health bar. Well, looks like I missed the WRONG gear.
Winter Soldier is indeed pretty OP. Gonna do second-tier Gear and no shield upgrades for my second playthrough.

Edit: loved that my leftover crow traps warned me of that other encounter. ;)

Ce-Lin

awesome, subscribed.

with all these videos I can't believe ppl still claiming that Bioshock Infinite is a boring and generic corridor/hallway shooter with a straight face, to the point I believe they haven't seen or played the game on anything higher than medium difficulty mode, normal difficulty is actually the "photo-tour" mode guys.

awesome, subscribed.

with all these videos I can't believe ppl still claiming that Bioshock Infinite is a boring and generic corridor/hallway shooter with a straight face, to the point I believe they haven't seen or played the game on anything higher than medium difficulty mode, normal difficulty is actually the "photo-tour" mode guys.

It's pretty easy to believe when you consider how only a few arenas in the game give you rails to play with and how awesome, overpowered gears like the one he is using are randomized and may never show up in your game at all.

Top Bottom