• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source |OT| Do you know who ate all the donuts?

Anilusion

What do I do here?

MsDvY.jpg

eot

Banned
Push the green button on the wall and then use the controls to move the platform so you can make the jump

I didn't figure that out my first time either, you can get around it by running backwards on some of the belts but that's hard to explain.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Still hard to believe that this finally came out and ended up being great.

Other HL2 mods I would recommend include MINERVA, Mission Improbable, Precursor, Nightmare House 2, and Research and Development. And even then there's still many other good ones out there, but these are must-plays for sure.

Source Mod Megathread

First page is slightly dated but the thread itself is still an excellent way to keep up with HL2 mod news. And of course there's the big daddy himself; Mod DB.

Someone posted somewhere in this thread some config lines that would slightly but IMO fairly reduce the reaction times on marines and some other enemies, did anyone happen to copy/paste or remember those lines and where to put them exactly?

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Someone posted somewhere in this thread some config lines that would slightly but IMO fairly reduce the reaction times on marines and some other enemies, did anyone happen to copy/paste or remember those lines and where to put them exactly?

ai_reaction_delay_alert "0.3"
ai_reaction_delay_idle "0.75"

If you want to try it, put it at the top of the skill.cfg file. It's found in ...\Steam\steamapps\sourcemods\BMS\cfg.

I found on the Black Mesa forums. It affects all enemies, not just marines. The difference is minute, but it gives you a little more time to duck behind cover before you're dead. You can tweak the numbers if you want. The base values are apparently 0.1 and 0.3, respectively.

EDIT: If you really want to walk through the whole game, put in an obscenely high number. I tested it on some headcrabs (didn't have a save near some marines) and they just minded their own business.

Someone posted a tweak for reaction times earlier

open "...\Steam\steamapps\sourcemods\BMS\cfg\skill.cfg" and add

ai_reaction_delay_alert "0.3"
ai_reaction_delay_idle "0.75"

to the top. You can tweak it further if necessary.

I honestly didn't expect much when I booted it up, but wow. So far (about 2 hours in), it's been everything I've wanted from a HL1 remake.

Hats off to the Black Mesa team.

gabbo

Finally finished it. Really enjoyed it. It's not perfect, or 1 to 1, but it was a lot of fun to play through going on more than nostalgia. Would have preferred Xen have been in it, but that's just more to look forward to.

Eyothrie

I've never played HL1. Should I play this game or Half Life: Source? As I understand it, this game isn't complete, and I think the full experience would be better for me unless you guys think otherwise

sn00zer

I've never played HL1. Should I play this game or Half Life: Source? As I understand it, this game isn't complete, and I think the full experience would be better for me unless you guys think otherwise

Play the original then this, you'll appreciate the work that went into this more

gabbo

Just play the original Half-Life (not HLS), and then take a stab at Black Mesa later.

bigace33

Is this the full game? I have yet to play the Original Halflife, but have beaten all the other Halflife games. It would be nice to finally play this classic all the way through with Halflife 2 graphics.

Edit: Didn't see the post a few up from mine. Good info, I'll go ahead and play the original then.

jerry113

Banned

To be honest, it's tempting to recommend Black Mesa on its graphical upgrade alone. However, I think it's still best to play the original Half-Life first instead. Currently the mod ends on a cliffhanger.

Also, Black Mesa is noticeably more difficult than the original Half-Life. The enemies are smarter and faster. And overall, I still think the original game is superior. The mod is still lacking a couple levels (even in the released portion) due to the turbulent development over 6 years. I also think the jumping height is still too low; there's even more crouch-jumping required of you than in the original HL1.

But man, does it look good.

antitrop

So is it safe to say that the game developers had no idea what they were doing when they placed ammo for Normal difficulty once the "military" shows up?

I remember beating Half-Life all the way back in 1998 and Black Mesa is substantially more difficult and substantially more frustrating. I don't even want to play it any more.

I get that Black Mesa is going for a little bit more of a survival horror vibe than the original Half-Life, but they just made this flat out unfair and imbalanced. The "military" just shows up and starts wrecking your face, putting you down in like 3 seconds and 99% of their shots hit the target and I have nothing but a Glock with 20 rounds.

Ya, Ok, sure.

sn00zer

Holy shit was that good, crazy soldier damage aside, that was freakin fantastic. Seriously, if they just fixed a few technical stuff like random slow downs and tweaked some of the AI variables, I would say this is the definitive HL experience....so...damn...good
And the soldiers were pretty smart (maybe not the rose tinited perfect AI they were in HL1), but they did a fair bit of moving around, rushing when appropriate, holding back when appropriate. And goddamn those assassins, flippin around and shit.

In short floored at how good it was, and like I said the game is a few patches away from being better than hl1

I finally finished it on Wednesday and I can honestly say it was the most fun I've had in ages. It's been years since I played the original Half Life and it all felt like a fresh experience. Couldn't help but feel sad at the abrupt end though.

It merely reinforces the fact that I think the Half Life series is my favourite gaming series of all time.

gabbo

Holy shit was that good, crazy soldier damage aside, that was freakin fantastic. Seriously, if they just fixed a few technical stuff like random slow downs and tweaked some of the AI variables, I would say this is the definitive HL experience....so...damn...good
And the soldiers were pretty smart (maybe not the rose tinited perfect AI they were in HL1), but they did a fair bit of moving around, rushing when appropriate, holding back when appropriate. And goddamn those assassins, flippin around and shit.

In short floored at how good it was, and like I said the game is a few patches away from being better than hl1

I found the assassins much easier to take care of in this than I did the original. Their movement speed was so much slower in this I could practically line up every shot withe ease.

Sibylus

Banned
Finished this a couple of days ago, some quick thoughts:

• The mod looks great in most areas.
  • The voicework is really good in most respects, I could have sworn they got Kleiner and Barney's VAs to provide voices for the scientists and security guards. I'll have to look that up, don't remember seeing that information in the credits.
  • Tau Cannon and Gluon Gun are probably my favourite weapons in the release, very satisfying to use in their various modes and have some great gibbing and particle effects associated with them.
  • Surface Tension seemed to run more or less the same length that I remember, but "Forget About Freeman!" seemed to have been cut down to an insane degree.
  • Lambda Core is fun, though it has issues. I spent way too much time trying to activate the second pump room before I realized I could (well, had to) proceed without it. The level design wasn't really changed to accommodate this, the audio and indicator lights all implied I needed it.
  • Lambda Core teleporter climb still a pain in the ass.
  • The mod has barely any autosaves, to the point I just made it a force of habit to quicksave before every questionable jump or firefight, because it's nearly always a safe assumption that the mapper forgot to. This really should have not have been an oversight.
  • Speaking of questionable jumps, yeah, it's ridiculous how virtually every jump required has to be a crouch jump. My hand began physically hurting at some jump-heavy stages of the game.
  • Difficulty completely and utterly broken. Normal had the marines beating every single other NPC type in the game (bar Gargantuas or massed Alien Grunts) whilst the Xenians were comparatively underpowered, and Easy had the marines slightly easier than expected, with the Xenians comparatively useless. I switched it down to Easy nonetheless, given the balance problems were sucking all my enjoyment out of the combat by the time I had gotten midway through Surface Tension. I don't know, I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if this was a result of "dev difficulty", wherein the echo chamber ratcheted it higher and higher in the absence of a wider audience to balance around.

It's good, but it's also severely flawed too. If you can wait for Xen, I'd caution waiting in the hope that some of these other issues are patched up as well.

gabbo

HL2 doesn't really have much of any autosaves either. This is pc gaming, quicksave.

Did I miss something or did Valve rip that feature out recently?
HL2 had plenty of autosave points. Go play for a few minutes, die, and see how far back you end up.

Top Bottom