• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source |OT| Do you know who ate all the donuts?

strafer

Okay, I'm on the Blast Pit level and just turned on the big fan, now what? All the doors are locked, I tried jumping into the fan and fly up, didn't do shit, just hoovered in the air.

It's been a long time since I played HL, I'm stuck. :(

Other than that, fucking amazing man, feels like a new game.

Okay, I'm on the Blast Pit level and just turned on the big fan, now what? All the doors are locked, I tried jumping into the fan and fly up, didn't do shit, just hoovered in the air.

It's been a long time since I played HL, I'm stuck. :(

Other than that, fucking amazing man, feels like a new game.

Look to the sides of the chamber.

Sibylus

Banned
Did I miss something or did Valve rip that feature out recently?
HL2 had plenty of autosave points. Go play for a few minutes, die, and see how far back you end up.
Yeah, HL2 + Episodes have autosaves sprinkled everywhere, to the point where I never really have to worry about using the quicksave and can just play. BMS forgets that they exist for 15-20 minutes at a time. Not exactly uncommon as mods go (lord knows I forget my own autosaves constantly), but it's still fairly problematic.

There's so much attention to detail in this mod, I find myself hoping that Valve take note as these guys have done a great job of running with the 'environmental storytelling' concept.

- When you pick up folders with paper in them, the paper flops about when you move it.
- Computer monitors with different stuff on. One of them was an e-mail to the Administrator with the subject 'These ridiculous ties' :D
- The number of different assets in each part of the facility. This is something I felt was lacking in Portal 2, which had a small number of low res assets repeatedly used.
- The amount of dialogue from the scientists and security guards. Each one usually has at least three things to say.
- The 'alarm' button that you can press underneath the main desk at the beginning... later on after everything's kicked off, in the research labs there's a similar reception desk and if you check you can see that the alarm button underneath has already been pressed.
- Custom blood spatter decals and corpse positioning. Small thing really, but it makes it feel a lot more real when you're not noticing the same patterns of blood spatter on the walls. Also, of course, the spattering on your weaponry and the bullsquid acid.

I've just started Surface Tension, so still got a bit of a way to go but up to this point I've been consistently impressed.

Top Bottom