• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source |OT| Do you know who ate all the donuts?

But that's not what it is. The only models it uses from HL2 are Vortigaunts and headcrabs. How much have you even played?

The Zombies look like they were modified from HL2 as well. They certainly have the same behavior from HL2 with one swipe attacks and the ability to slap boxes out of their way if they walk into the direction of one.

jambo

This looks like something that might be perfect for some of the people in this thread.

xBiXT.png

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bmrebalance/

//Current ver: 0.2

• Player's throwforce was downed a bit,
  • Pistol and MP5 do a little extra damage,
  • Same happens with shotgun, snark and MP5 grenades,
  • NPCs weapons were buffed too,
  • Now you can carry 28 additional ammo for .357 (previously 1, and 10 satchels (previously 5), also you can carry up to 30 snarks,
  • Hivehand is a bit more accurate, both for player and NPCs,
  • Gluon consumes 3 ammo/sec,
  • Security guards have more HP,
  • Zombies are buffed. They are still slow, however normal zombie have 100 hp (previously 40), and melee range 80 (previosuly 75), so it will be a little harder ,
  • Zombified security have sam melee range as normal zombies (80), however they have now 150 hp instead of 50,
  • Zombies now do 20 dmg if they slash with claw, or 40 if they slash with both,
  • Headcrabs do 8 dmg instead of 5,
  • Vortiguants are buffed. Now they have 50 health points, they need 1.5 second to recharge, and they do allitle more damage (35 in case of zap, 15 in case of slashing with their claws),
  • Apache is nerfed. It's easier to destroy - it have almost the same hp amount as Abrams,
  • Houndeye's blast do more damage,
  • Osprey is tougher, you need 5 rockets to take it off,
  • Mines do more damage (cmon, THEY ARE MINES!), they took only 1/4 of players health, now they take 3/4,
  • .357 was nerfed, now you can carry only 16 additional amo for it,
  • Crowbar was buffed, now it takes headcrab in one hit,
  • Snark hives contain 3 of them instead of 8, you can carry up to 10 of them, however their dmg was buffed,
  • AI reacts slower,
  • Shooting head or chest do more damage than shooting stomach, arm or leg,
  • Ichthysaur is harder to kill, one bolt isn't going to do the job now ;) , also they hurt a bit more,
  • Implemented walk button (ALT).

Owensboro

I finished this around a day ago and really had a great time playing it, much more then I thought I would. I agree with most of the praise AND the complaints about it. The game looks great, I never really noticed any of the changes to the levels (but it's been 5+ years since I've replayed the original), and I liked the homage voice acting after initially kind of disliking it. At the same time though the quick-charge vorts, crazy aimbot guards, and lower jumping height make certain parts a little annoying. Not bad by any means mind you, just a little annoying. Funnily enough, they made me go back to my old FPS habits of quick saving / quick loading like a madman because I would always think "I can do that without taking as much damage".

Seriously, the team did an amazing job capturing the original Half-Life. I'm actually really excited about it being Green Lit on Steam so I can play back through on a harder difficulty setting. Hopefully they will be able to fix a few of the crashing bugs (crashed on me 4-5 times, but I'm a quicksave whore) and maybe fix the "one soldier sees you, they all know where you are" thing.

Even if they don't, I'm still going to play it again. Well done sirs! I'm actually looking forward to see what they do with Xen. Maybe it won't be so horrible for once?

Also, I hope that Opposing Force mod is half as good as this one. I know it's a different team, but a man can hope and pray right?

Half-Life was the game that changed first-person shooter design forever. That is true greatness.

Half-Life 2 was a weak shooter with a bad plot, flat characters, boring enemies, uninteresting weapons, and a bunch of set pieces that didn't make sense, wrapped up in a bow of physics and atmosphere.

I think you pretty significantly overexaggerate on HL2 in terms of its objective quality, but you are certainly right on the broad sweep. I honestly have to wonder a bit about the priorities of people who think a flawed smörgåsbord like HL2 is the absolute peak of FPS design; it's not even Valve's best effort at the same concept since Ep 2 has so much tighter execution.

Also, I hope that Opposing Forces mod is half as good as this one.

I want an Opposing Force equivalent of this mod so fuckin' bad.

Owensboro

I want an Opposing Force equivalent of this mod so fuckin' bad.

Damn it, now I want to play Opposing Force again. I still find it funny that, to this day, every time I hear the name "Gearbox Software" the first thing I think is "That team that did Opposing Force?"

Yep, totally replaying it when I have some free time. Can't wait to chase Freeman through the portal to Xen
and fall to my death
. Time to break out the old CD!
xUdXJ.jpg

yarden24

Well, I don't mean to pick on one of your favorite games...just a difference of opinion. I just remember being *engaged* with Half-Life 2, something that isn't happening here. "Survive by getting to the surface" is just another way of saying "follow the level design", which most shooters do, but with no backing narrative structure to keep me engaged, it's tough...especially when the environments and enemies are not particularly varied. If there were puzzles other than the meat crane, they were so mentally unchallenging that I didn't even think of them as puzzles.

I'm sure an issue is also because I played this in reverse...all of these enemies, save for the Vorts, are completely old to me because I've played all the HL2 stuff. Not a fair criticism there, but...(shrug)

I dunno feep, I played half life 1 maybe two years after half life 2 came out, and I thought it was a significantly better game the the second, the second felt so padded and boring, I enjoyed the second episode a lot though, too bad they kinda stopped from there

eot

Banned
This looks like something that might be perfect for some of the people in this thread.
  • Pistol and MP5 do a little extra damage,
  • Now you can carry 28 additional ammo for .357 (previously 1, and 10 satchels (previously 5), also you can carry up to 30 snarks,
  • .357 was nerfed, now you can carry only 16 additional amo for it,
  • Snark hives contain 3 of them instead of 8, you can carry up to 10 of them, however their dmg was buffed

A few of these sound a bit contradictory, to say the least.
Buffing the MP5 doesn't make much sense. Despite people saying it feels weak it's actually way more powerful than the MP5 in the first game, at least damage wise. It's more accurate and has a much higher rate of fire. It does have a smaller clip though.

Freezard

I never used MP5 in the entire game except in the first soldier fights before I got the shotgun. Its accuracy is really bad so if you're going to kill soldiers/vortigaunts with it (or well, pretty much everything with a ranged attack) you're going to lose HP for sure. I found the pistol a lot better since it has pretty much perfect accuracy, higher damage, rapid fire, and it uses the same ammo so you know you won't waste as much. Also I couldn't stand the firing sound of MP5.

Can't wait to play this. Think I'll go through op for and blue shift first though as I never got round to playing them.

HL stands head and shoulders above everything but portal and hl2 + episodes As my favourite game. Just something about Valve's games that I really like.

Jackpot

Banned
Another thing I really missed was the scene in the original where an APC ramraids a warehouse and deploys a bunch of soldiers. I also only ever got to do combat with 1 osprey whilst I'm sure I shot down more in the original.

Yeah I remember Half-Life being much more difficult and I didn't have to use godmode back then. But I'm old now and I don't have the same patience for unbalanced cheating AI.

Alastor

I'm stuck on the helicopter fight.

I just don't know how to do it. Seven rockets, and this fucker is still flying. I know there are more near the entrance, but when I try to grab them, I die every time. (I have 12 health and zero armor).

Something's broken here.

I just don't know how to do it. Seven rockets, and this fucker is still flying. I know there are more near the entrance, but when I try to grab them, I die every time. (I have 12 health and zero armor).

Something's broken here.

Gauss Gun works better then rockets imo.

Don't charge it just shoot.

I used it all on the soldiers earlier. No gauss gun for me!

I think I'll just reaload this chapter (you can do that, right?)

Try reloading the auto save, it could bring you back enough. If not yeah, just start a new game and choose the chapter.

I'm pretty sure there are some gauss ammo on the garage behind though.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just finished getting all the achievements. Rare Specimen was annoying, the hat kind of glitches onto the platforms preventing you from picking it up in the area where you have to go through the numbered teleport chambers.

Here's the best place for Mega Hertz. The level is Office Complex.

8009756067_2d66c65340_c.jpg

and here's the best place I found to get the one where you have to toss a grenade back at a Marine. The level is We've Got Hostiles.

8009764000_6391d992ba_c.jpg

Played through it twice, all achievements done. It's gonna be such a long wait for Xen and Deathmatch.

By the way, if the Opposing Force remake is completed, it should totally be called Opposing Source.

Jackpot

Banned

Something's broken here.

invulnerable wall left-side of the cave mouth right next to a respawning box of rockets. Wait for the chopper to finish its machine gun run and then pop out and shoot.

Hylian7

Something's broken here.

Wait wait wait, the rocket launcher was in that area? How come I never got it?

Sub_Level

Oh, I thought you meant the dam one. I beat that one with two high-charged Tau cannon shots.

I think they're actually the same chopper because the second encounter on the cliffside had black smoke coming out of it from the dam battle. It has a pretty damn good amount of health on Hard, I'm talking 8 rockets minimum. Probably more.

wrowa

amEV3.jpg

I'm stuck in Blast Pit. I made it to the bottom and I can't jump over the hole. Where do I go now?

People always die there because they try to jump across it or walk on the right side.

The truth is, you have to walk on the left side. It doesn't look like it, but when you take the left you won't fall down whatever you do.

Sub_Level

People always die there because they try to jump across it or walk on the right side.

The truth is, you have to walk on the left side. It doesn't look like it, but when you take the left you won't fall down whatever you do.

The truth is, if you're not bad at the jumping controls you just sprint and crouch jump :p

And actually, believe it or not, you can also safely fall onto the edge of the platform on the side of where you need to get to FROM THE TOP floor as well. There's a hole on the second floor parallel with the radioactive waste down below, and partly parallel with the platform.

Lemonte

Apache is impossible to beat. I shoot him maybe 7 times with an rpg but then it goes berserk and shoots me down...

edit. nvm I beat it

Alastor

Aaaand I'm done! Best mod ever.
never really tried Counter Strike

After that one chapter restart when I couldn't beat the helicopter, I was so careful that the rest of the game wasn't a challenge
and maybe the mod helped a little
. Pretty much stayed with 80/80 health/armor all the way to the final battle.

The AI, even modded, is still broken. I was going up the ladder. Leaning carefully, I saw the backs of a couple of soldiers. Easy kills, I thought. Yeah. After I peeked 0,1 cm more, they all magically noticed me. Apparetly, that one moment earlier when you can actually use stealth for a bit is scripted.

eot

Banned
I think they see you becasue there are soldiers up there looking in all directions, so the ones who spot you aren't the ones with their backs turned, they just get alerted by the other guys.

Top Bottom