• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black myth: Wukong has broken all time concurrent player number record for a single-player game on Steam

yazenov

Good. Chinese and Korean games will dominate the industry, and those woke mofos in the West will go broke.

It's the same shit with Hollywood. Asian > West. The quality of the Chinese / Korean movies/TV shows and Japanese anime are leaps and bounds better than the DEI-infested filth of the West.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Well now you can see why Sony is pumping resources into China, they really want a slice of that. But gaming there is really dominated by PC, it’s one of the reasons for the insane Steam growth we’ve seen.

Filben

Does the numbers include Chinese players? I thought the Chinese Steam market and community was completely segregated in China.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Did people (not here) really think that ridiculous attempt at a smear campaign would turn Asian gamers off the game? No one in Asia cares about the ideology du jour in the West. Spend some time in Asia and that much will be beyond obvious.
As a guy born in communist eastern europe- some(especially leftists/woke/progressive w/e they call themselfs now) westerners really live in their bubble and are convinced they can impose their pov on any1.
It is huge culture shock for many ppl when u got westerner telling u pure lies/what they got fed about u/ur country while u actually was born/live in that country but ofc some westerners know better :)

I will give u example- i got told by westerners(western europeans) what party/candidate i should vote for in my country's elections, they even didnt think it was inapropriate/rude, and ofc they were never in my country not even once, didnt know my country's language and didnt educate themselfs about the topic except getting info from mainstream western media(and we know those often lie/have an agenda).

Lambogenie

Glad it's doing well and is one of own my most hyped games since reveal. Which kinda says a lot about the state of games from most publishers (but I will exclude Capcom).

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Bruh, what the hell!? It's currently ranked #4 on all time peak CCU chart where F2P titles like Dota 2, CS2 and PUBG are included. 😳

G4vjHSW.png

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

Proof that Chinese market is big?
People who play or follow gacha games already know that the Chinese gaming market is absolutely one of the biggest in the world. It's great to see that this also translates well to more traditional single-player console/PC releases.

If you're curious, here's the most recent revenue chart for gacha games (mobile only):
8rsacmfgn1gd1.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Filben

I just read about some of the “controversy” around this games developers, have we really become so prudish that sexual humor is now a cancellable offense?
Apparently it's not the whole issue. Some people take issues with the dev's "stance" on how the game should be presented in videos and streams by the players, like to not include Chinese politics, keywords like "COVID" "quarantine" etc. in your videos.

My opinion, they're China based, so of course they have to put that out. As if it is their choice. If they don't want to be fucked by their governmant they have to make sure they tried everything to prevent negative press.

Sintoid

People who play or follow gacha games already know that the Chinese gaming market is absolutely one of the biggest in the world. It's great to see that this also translates well to more traditional single-player console/PC releases.

If you're curious, here's the most recent revenue chart for gacha games (mobile only):

8rsacmfgn1gd1.png
#Sarcastic

nani17

are in a big trouble
I kinda want to say that old meme (insert country here) number 1. Not sure if I can but it fits

Thick Thighs Save Lives

The point that stands is that a worldwide launch that includes China (not talking about a Chinese game by the way) should be considered as a classification parameter in this kind of evaluations
We don't have access to the regional splits for these Steam numbers so how would you even go about doing that?

Last edited:

GooseMan69

“The unfortunate reality is most gamers' knowledge of a video game begins and ends with seeing it plastered on a digital storefront. Most gamers are normies unplugged from the hype cycle, let alone any controversy cycles. They stumble on the game on the storefront of their choice and they find the posted trailers and some reviews and that's how they decide whether or not to play. Maybe they run into a commercial on TV or a Youtube ad that perks their interest first, maybe they hear it off-hand from a friend. This has always been true, nothing's really changed here....and that's actually kinda the frustrating part: that outside of gamers opting for digital media and subscriptions (aka weaker forms of ownership) these kinds of attitudes haven't really changed at all.

I'd say terminally-online gamers have no impact....but that's not really true. The chuds very clearly do. They're the ones that can quickly foment outrage and thus headlines, they're the ones farming views on Youtube and TikTok, they're the ones able to make enough noise to permeate into the mainstream, they're the ones able to inspire unrelated actions outside of gaming itself. Us? We don't get to have shit, not when most gamers have no idea what's going on and don't want to know, and not when most gamers that do know just wanna play their fun escapist games in peace without anyone judging them for bad habits or guilty pleasures or whatever.

Until we see a serious attitude change around gaming consumption we're just not going to see any change to this. Gaming journalists try, Youtubers and other influencers try, even forums like this one try, but goddamn can it really feel like just screaming into the void.”

😂😂😂

Last edited:

peish

“The unfortunate reality is most gamers' knowledge of a video game begins and ends with seeing it plastered on a digital storefront. Most gamers are normies unplugged from the hype cycle, let alone any controversy cycles. They stumble on the game on the storefront of their choice and they find the posted trailers and some reviews and that's how they decide whether or not to play. Maybe they run into a commercial on TV or a Youtube ad that perks their interest first, maybe they hear it off-hand from a friend. This has always been true, nothing's really changed here....and that's actually kinda the frustrating part: that outside of gamers opting for digital media and subscriptions (aka weaker forms of ownership) these kinds of attitudes haven't really changed at all.

I'd say terminally-online gamers have no impact....but that's not really true. The chuds very clearly do. They're the ones that can quickly foment outrage and thus headlines, they're the ones farming views on Youtube and TikTok, they're the ones able to make enough noise to permeate into the mainstream, they're the ones able to inspire unrelated actions outside of gaming itself. Us? We don't get to have shit, not when most gamers have no idea what's going on and don't want to know, and not when most gamers that do know just wanna play their fun escapist games in peace without anyone judging them for bad habits or guilty pleasures or whatever.

Until we see a serious attitude change around gaming consumption we're just not going to see any change to this. Gaming journalists try, Youtubers and other influencers try, even forums like this one try, but goddamn can it really feel like just screaming into the void.”

😂😂😂

What did the wukong dev ever do them? I don’t understand their self righteous hate against this china dev?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I guess the Chinese market is much bigger than I expected?
Compared to what expectation?
China passed US as the biggest game market (by player count) back in 2010 when they hit 70M active connected players (and multiple games having 5M CCUs at the time)
Obviously - even with govt. interference - that number has only grown since.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The CCP does do bad things. But the Wukong devs aren't going around harvesting Uyghur organs and using them to power their devkits--so far as I know. Most people in China are just trying to make a living, like anywhere else. And if we're seriously going to boycott China as an entire country, it's going to take a whole lot more than a video game boycott to do so since a large percentage of what we all buy and use is made in China.

Buy what you want and play what you want. If you have a moral objection to something on whatever conceivable grounds, like not being feminist enough (??), by all means, go for it and don't buy it. But I'm glad we don't do brainwashed moral panics here where people don't even know what they're angry about.

Utamaru1706

Neo Member
What did the wukong dev ever do them? I don’t understand their self righteous hate against this china dev?
Prolly because the devs rejects the inclusion of Sweet Baby Inc. on the game, which supposedly brings DEI stuffs into the game, and also about their guidelines for content creators, where they only need to just focused on the game, and not bringing other unrelated stuffs, like politics, feminist, and woke shenanigans (which is totally fair, IMHO, since they only need to cover the game, and not anything else).

GooseMan69

Diversity consulting company tried to extort them. Devs didn’t wanna play ball. Cue smear campaign from western journalists. Fortunately, these people aren’t as powerful or influential as they think.

Sintoid

We don't have access to the regional splits for these Steam numbers so how would you even go about doing that?
As you said it's the first single player chinese game that launched worldwide and we don't have details about how sales are split among the markets
In the future there will be analysts working on it for sure, in order to understand weight of Chinese market on traditional gaming.

For now this kind of numbers suggest me an heavy weight of Chinese gamers more than a worldwide success but I might be wrong... we'll see in the next months further details about game distribution

DavidGzz

Honestly, even though this is almost exclusively due to china (the fact that its midnight here and only 6am in europe pretty much confirms this is all from the china release), I have to give credit where credit is due.

A few things:
- One of the few china/south korean vaporware games that actually released
- One of the few next gen games that actually didnt get a major downgrade
- One of the few games from an indie/first time studio that delivered an epic AAA game with insane setpieces and boss battles. SSM take note.
- Old school single player when other major studios are/were chasing gaas trash. ND should take note.
- A truly great action game with next gen graphics proving you can have both graphics and gameplay. something hellblade devs forgot.

Looks like Crimson Desert by Pearl Abyss will be releasing soon. Maybe its time to move on from western devs who have disappointed over and over again as they chase cross gen, gaas, and insanely woke stories with millennial dads, spoiled gen z kids, and lesbian girl boss leads. Crimson desert looks even more insane in terms of scale and ambition. Both are something I wanted out GOW.

This game might still flop in the west but i hope it succeeds for the reasons above. Good to see devs get rewarded for making games players actually want to play.

I for one, welcome my new eastern gaming overlords. Crimson Desert is looking hot too.

Sentenza

The CCP does do bad things. But the Wukong devs aren't going around harvesting Uyghur organs and using them to power their devkits--so far as I know.
The genuinely stupid part of that controversy is that it has been dramatized way beyond its relevance.

"Chinese government is trying to censure streamers".
No, they are not. First, because Game Science is a newly formed independent studio with a publishing agreement and not a branch of the Chinese government.
Second, because they can't strictly ENFORCE limitations and restrictions on streamers about anything. The intent of that guideline was probably something closer to "PLEASE, when covering the game try to stick to the game, rather than going into tangents about [insert here]" rather than "Do as we say OR ELSE".

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Dosent matter if the split is heavily China leaning.... because money is money ... so
If you want that money and that market .. good luck selling woke shit overthere. Is very good what is happening right now. New asia markets can really save gaming from this crazys.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
The CCP does do bad things. But the Wukong devs aren't going around harvesting Uyghur organs and using them to power their devkits--so far as I know. Most people in China are just trying to make a living, like anywhere else.

I was going to post something similar. Let me be clear about something, I have a Scarface mentality when it comes to Communists:

My parents literally escaped communism, I've heard all the stories, I know exactly what it is at it's core (and all these woke leftists in the West are utterly fucking clueless). Here is the thing with most Chinese people: they hate their government and Communist ideology too! I have Chinese friends here in Japan and they all universally detest their system of government, it's why they left the country to seek greener pastures (and the story is the same in other parts of the world I've lived speaking with the Chinese I've met).

Everyone needs to pick their battles. I often will pay more for something *not* Made in China precisely because I don't want to support the regime. Avoiding it entirely is impossible though and when it comes to devs like this (who I'm sure are just normal people trying to make a living) I'm happy to show my support for making something I actually want to play devoid of any nonsense that has infested much of Western game design.

Just arriving home from work, can't wait to get started!

GHG

Gold Member
Did people (not here) really think that ridiculous attempt at a smear campaign would turn Asian gamers off the game? No one in Asia cares about the ideology du jour in the West. Spend some time in Asia and that much will be beyond obvious.

It's not even just Asia, it's most of the world.

South America don't give a shit, Africa don't give a shit, the middle east don't give a shit (in fact, I can tell you from first hand experience that it's actively laughed at and made fun of), large parts of Australia don't give a shit, and even large parts of Europe don't give a shit.

It's abundantly clear that these people have never travelled and immersed themselves in other cultures, but I think we all knew that already.

Last edited:

Sentenza

It's not even just Asia, it's most of the world.

South America don't give a shit, Africa don't give a shit, the middle east don't give a shit (in fact, I can tell you frok first hand experience that it's actively laughed at and made fun of), large parts of Australia don't give a shit, and even large parts of Europe don't give a shit.

It's abundantly clear that these people have never travelled and immersed themselves in other cultures, but I think we all knew that already.
Hell, most of them rarely leave their homes and when they do avoid eye contact with people.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
User on Era: "I expected this to peak at 30K and have most of its users on PS5".
Some people really DO live in a bubble, eh.
Tbf, you'd have to be pretty on the ball to anticipate this success.

Most of the sales so far seem to be from China, and I don't think many have the insight into what's going on in gaming circles over there.

This kind of reception from Chinese gamers for a single player is extremely abnormal. Unprecedented, actually. You can credit that to this being the first non-vaporware title of some production value out of the country, using one of the world's most widespread myths.

Last edited:
Amazing success.

Hilarious to see the responses from the outrage brigade.

Also, how long until every other Western dev green lights a game marketed to the Chinese market…

Apparently it's not the whole issue. Some people take issues with the dev's "stance" on how the game should be presented in videos and streams by the players, like to not include Chinese politics, keywords like "COVID" "quarantine" etc. in your videos.

My opinion, they're China based, so of course they have to put that out. As if it is their choice. If they don't want to be fucked by their governmant they have to make sure they tried everything to prevent negative press.

People who attack the devs for this are entitled mofos who would shit their pants if they lived in China and an officer knocked on their door.

Top Bottom