• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black State - 8 minutes Gameplay 4K RTX | IGN @ gamescom 2024

LordOfChaos

Something about it looks very...Demo-ey. Like look we got a game engine and made a thing. The materials and ray tracing are there but a lot are just provided by the base engine now, I'm unsure if there's going to be any meat underneath it.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think it looks pretty good, except the guy trots at a snails pace and the enemies exploding look nothing like a human exploding. Its just a giant round blob of blood.

pasterpl

Hope this will end up as a game, but it looks nice as a tech demo. Love the flying body parts. But overall lacks some dynamics. Will defo stay on my radar but will probably have to upgrade to 5090 to play on max.

Gonne save you eigth minutes of your life time.

Just watch this GIF.
running-happily.gif

Wow. You can have the prettiest graphics on the world, but if your main character walks like he's got a sandwich in his back pocket that he's desperately trying not to smush, it doesn't mean much.

Last edited:

Diddy X

If you have a videogame you can make it look whatever you like, make it look spectacular or atleast pleasant not this generic and sterile.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yawn.

Look, not to be a bitch about this, but is really the best way to showcase ray-traced visuals with environments and characters that are lit as flat as fucking pancakes.

This looks like a rather hastily put together engine demo with its ultra sterile blindingly shiny everything.
Like some of those "Levelbuilding with UE5 in a few hours" videos on yt.
They should´ve waited till they at least had one somewhat finished level before presenting this.

Neilg

lol at all the real art that there's no way they licensed for reproduction in a video game. that's not going to work out very well for them.
Massive, clearly identical, and not at all ambiguous reproduction of Guernica in that first video is hillarious.

EruditeHobo

Looks less like a game and more like some sort of money laundering scheme.

That said, an alarming number of people were convinced by a few screenshots and video clips that Kojima was making a Silent Hill or whatever? So I can't be surprised people see this and find it somewhat compelling. Nothing will ever be as embarrassing as that "Abandoned" take.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I watched the developers' interview. They said they included long walking sequences because Nvidia wanted it that way. They wanted it to look like a Nvidia technology demo, so they could talk at length while showcasing the environment. They mentioned that they have a lot of interesting ideas they haven't shown yet, and they're curious to see how people will react when they do. They say that people who try the game adapt immediately and start smiling right away.

They also mentioned that a developer from CD Projekt Red said he was very impressed with the game technologically. He was particularly impressed by the game still showing high performance with RT enabled.

I think its looking pretty good for an alpha version. With an interesting story and a few animation improvements, it could turn out to be a great game. I'm looking forward to it.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
It's the complete lack of art direction.
I mean, I don't see anything to support that lol

Remember, lack of liking art, is not the lack of art sir. This just means it looks lame or you don't like how it looks etc, from what I've seen, art direction based on its basic idea 100% exist here.

As in, the soldiers have design that would support a direction being made to have them include iconography of a solider, this would be art direction.

The location itself, like the paintings, hardwood floors, it seems its made to look like a rich, upper class type person lives there or rich company or museum or something, this would be part of that art direction.

The lab looking completely white, like sterile, lab suits, all the equipment, this would all be part of that art direction.

So.....something cannot lack art direction, as even Pong, one could argue its notan look is its art direction even in the most simplistic form lol Even "lacking" one, can be its own direction....as in having LESS of something like if the game was a person in white room with little to objects, that can be its own direction.

Top Bottom