• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blade Runner 2049' Is A Box Office Disaster With Poor $13M Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxfool

Banned
Dune is not the same genre. Like, I accept the fact that Hollywood studio logic will conflate cyberpunk with space opera as some impenetrable fake nerd shit, and maybe-probably shitcan the Dune project because 2049 bombed so fucking hard, but it's still wrong.

Gah. Fuck them. Fuck this. Imagine a world where we can't have Dune because nobody saw the amazing Blade Runner sequel, and we get Craig Bond and Cleo-fucking-patra instead.

Dune isn't Space Opera. It isn't even remotely close.

eot

Banned
I think people would go see Dune. There's so much iconic imagery waiting to be created with that source material. Even the 80's version looks amazing at times. The bigger question is if they could do it justice. Also if they can top Lady Jessica's hairdo lol

duckroll

I think people would go see Dune. There's so much iconic imagery waiting to be created with that source material. Even the 80's version looks amazing at times. The bigger question is if they could do it justice. Also if they can top Lady Jessica's hairdo lol

In the 80s both Blade Runner and Dune tanked. Made about the same amount of money. Why would that be any different today?

eot

Banned
In the 80s both Blade Runner and Dune tanked. Made about the same amount of money. Why would that be any different today?
A lot of people went to see it and iirc it did well internationally. The problem was that it had an insane budget for the time, which was mismanaged.

Is the budget for this actually 200m or was that the figure when Cameron was going to do it
Last we heard budget-wise was when FOX was refusing to greenlight it with Rodriguez until they could get the budget below $175m. No official reports since then on budget from what I can remember.

Apparently I'm the only one in the whole IT department at work to have seen this movie. If that wasn't bad enough at least a five of my coworkers thought this movie was a remake. Guess it really was marketed like trash. What a bummer.

Kadayi

Banned
Personally, I think the doom calling is pre-emptive (the weekend wasn't even over) because I suspect this movie has long legs and it's likely to do well in other markets. It was never going to do $500 million or anything absurd, it's just not that kind of film.

However, I just can't see Dune working in this day and age as a cinematic release.As a fan of the books I'm one of the few who actually quite liked Lynch's effort, but even I get that storywise it's a hard sell. If it was going to tackled again then the big budget HBO/Cable treatment is required, but the problem there is, Dune for all its scope is quite intimate in terms of its principal players and therefore requires a lot of rewriting.

GhaleonEB

Last we heard budget-wise was when FOX was refusing to greenlight it with Rodriguez until they could get the budget below $175m. No official reports since then on budget from what I can remember.

However much they give him, it'll look like he had a quarter of it.

robotrock

Banned

That still seems like an insane budget to throw at Rodriguez for a project like this.

Unison

Personally, I think the doom calling is pre-emptive (the weekend wasn't even over) because I suspect this movie has long legs and it's likely to do well in other markets. It was never going to do $500 million or anything absurd, it's just not that kind of film.

With all due respect, it sort of needed to to turn a profit at this budget.

xrnzaaas

Not surprising, they shouldn't go so crazy with the budget. I plan on seeing it this week and it'll be my first trip to the cinema in about five years.

eXistor

At least we'll have a movie for the ages, one that people will talk about for years to come and that's worth a lot imo. It was unfortunately wholly predictable that it was gonna flop, but be glad we still get these kind of movies every now and then.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
critics vs audience: the eternal struggle.

especially movie critics seem to be so far up their own ass and trapped in their echochamber its not even funny anymore..

its gone so far that my interest in a movie usually dies when critics rave it. propably means its a boring slogfest most of the time.

edit: i dont mean in the case of BR2049, but more generally. havent seen BR yet.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I’m not surprised. I dunno if I actually want to see this type of movie in the theatre as opposed to at home. I definitely want to see it though.

rekameohs

Banned

especially movie critics seem to be so far up their own ass and trapped in their echochamber its not even funny anymore..

its gone so far that my interest in a movie usually dies when critics rave it. propably means its a boring slogfest most of the time.

edit: i dont mean in the case of BR2049, but more generally. havent seen BR yet.
Name examples of that

Wollan

Shame. Hopefully it has some legs. I'm going for a re-watch after having digested it a bit further, listening to soundtrack, online discussions etc.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I’m not surprised. I dunno if I actually want to see this type of movie in the theatre as opposed to at home. I definitely want to see it though.

I think I would have been much less down on it if I'd seen it at home instead and had advance warning about the ridiculous swings in volume. I never dreamed I'd say it, but this a movie that begs for midnight mode.

The good critics do what they do because they love cinema and writing about it. Find a few that jive with your sensibilities and tastes and use them as a barometer if a flick your interested in seeing warrants that ticket purchase. To ball them all up as some elite group of erudite suckoffs is just painfully ignorant.

What the fuck?

giphy.gif

Like what is with some of the stuff I'm reading in this thread, it utterly boggles the imagination. Why would people so vehemently anti-intellectual post here?

NateDog

I am a little surprised so many of you have said the theatre was empty. I went last night and it was so packed that I think they oversold it (I was due to go with 2 friends who both bailed but I said I was seeing it with or without them, and still I saw a guy sitting on the steps which I have never seen before). Then again this was more of an art house cinema so perhaps that's why, but still I didn't think it would be like that. Maybe it's just doing a little better in UK/Ireland?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I am a little surprised so many of you have said the theatre was empty. I went last night and it was so packed that I think they oversold it (I was due to go with 2 friends who both bailed but I said I was seeing it with or without them, and still I saw a guy sitting on the steps which I have never seen before). Then again this was more of an art house cinema so perhaps that's why, but still I didn't think it would be like that. Maybe it's just doing a little better in UK/Ireland?

I saw it at a mere matinee on Saturday here in Vancouver, and the house was packed. I dunno.

robotrock

Banned
My theater had showings for it every 30 minutes on Friday. Caught the last 2D showing, had maybe 20 or so people in the crowd.

What the fuck?

giphy.gif

Like what is with some of the stuff I'm reading in this thread, it utterly boggles the imagination. Why would people so vehemently anti-intellectual post here?

Eh? That post isn't anti-intellectual. It's just stating that the things that film critics look for and enjoy in a film is not the same as what he does. Films wouldn't be the only place where this is common.

JimiNutz

Banned
I was hoping word of mouth would lead to more ticket sales but I've heard a lot of people complaining that this film was boring.

Such a shame.

Eh? That post isn't anti-intellectual. It's just stating that the things that film critics look for and enjoy in a film is not the same as what he does. Films wouldn't be the only place where this is common.

It absolutely is anti-intellectual. Film critics often have phd's or masters in film studies and spend their lives analyzing the artform. To broadly dismiss the entire field of film criticism is as cut and dry anti-intellectual as it gets.

duckroll

It's pretty anti-intellectual to generalize "film critics" in the first place, much less to suggest that every critic looks for the same thing in every film. There isn't much thought put into that post, I'm not sure what you're batting for here.

There is no struggle, because is there no necessity for the two to broadly agree. Some of my favourite pieces of criticism are takes I don't ultimately agree with, but I like them because they made me think or helped justify my own position. People need to drop this manufactured antagonism and come to terms with the fact that, a) their sensibility may differ from the majority of critics (assuming they've even made an effort to search out good criticism and not just looked at the RT score and cried), and b) it's okay to disagree in general. There are no incorrect opinions, just poorly supported ones.

Or, hey, maybe actually try and argue against the pieces of criticism you disagree with? How are they wrong? If they're propping up movies you see no value in or are not seeing the value in something you think is good, prove it. Just a thought.

Mr. Tibbs

Disappointing domestic numbers, but it's not all doom and gloom.

Internationally, Blade Runner met overseas expectations, debuting with an estimated $50.2 million from 63 markets, 61% of its international footprint, capturing the #1 spot in 45 of those markets. The film's opening in the UK led the way with an estimated $8 million, on par with Interstellar and ~15% ahead of Mad Max: Fury Road. In Australia the film brought in an estimated $3.6 million, topping both Interstellar (9%) and Gravity (28%) and in Russia it finished with an estimated $4.9 million, on par with Mad Max: Fury Road. Additional openings include France ($3.6M), Germany ($3.3M), Spain ($2.6M), Italy ($2.5M), Brazil ($1.8M) and Mexico ($1.6M).

Blade Runner will open in South Korea next week followed by an October 27 opening in Japan and a November 10 opening in China.

holygeesus

Banned
My local chain in the UK had a very odd approach to screening this (Showcase) in that they put on just 3 screenings a day of the 2D version and more than double that for the 3D. At least they did on Friday when I went. Given most people would surely want to see this in 2D, it seems they have that back to front. That couldn't have helped sales over here.

Socreges

Banned
Regardless of box office receipts - is it not the most accessible movie? Concerned that my gf, who likes SciFi, may not like 3 hours of slow burning SciFi...

robotrock

Banned
Regardless of box office receipts - is it not the most accessible movie? Concerned that my gf, who likes SciFi, may not like 3 hours of slow burning SciFi...

It is definitely not the most accessible movie. Slow burn for sure. If she likes the pacing of the original Blade Runner at least though, this one will be good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom