• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade & Soul Beta Thread: East Finally Meets West

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
NRlyXZJ.png

Beta begins October 29th, Friday at 10:00AM PST

Weekend 1: Oct 29, 10am PDT - Nov 2, 10pm PDT (English Only)
Weekend 2: Nov 13, 10am PDT - Nov 16, 10pm PDT (English Only)
Weekend 3: Nov 24, 10am PDT - Nov 30, 10pm PDT (English, French, German)
Weekend 4: Dec 11, 10am PDT - Dec 14, 10pm PDT (English, French, German)
Weekend 5: Dec 18, 10am PDT - Dec 21, 10pm PDT (English, French, German)

Disclaimer: Best viewed using NeoGAF Dark Theme and having the NeoGAF WEBM Plugin Installed (Chrome / Firefox)

dvUvs5T.png

Welcome to the Blade & Soul Closed Beta Thread! This is a place where you can talk, organize, communicate and play with your fellow gaffers! For newcomers I hope this can be a thread where any and all of your questions can be answered thoroughly and adequately so please, whether you're stuck on quests, bosses, or trying to upgrade your weapons, do not hesitate to ask. For veterans who have played the game already available in other regions, welcome back! Be sure to drop whatever knowledge you may have to help others.

Having played the CN and JPN client of Blade & Soul, I can already see some pretty significant changes for the US version based on what I have witnessed during the Alpha Test phase. Most notably, weapon degradation rate seems to have been reduced significantly.

Also, I would highly, highly recommend throwing down the extra money for either a Disciple ($75.99) or Master Pack ($124.99) (Master preferably). With a Master Pack you get 7,200 NCoin ($90 value by itself) which you can use to buy costumes or materials. Not sure if it will change for CBT, but currently in Alpha you're able to buy special hongmoon keys that guarantee that a chest will drop the weapon required for your class to perform a breakthrough for your hongmoon weapon. Not to mention you get a huge goody bag of items, among them being repair hammers, dragon pouches, and hongmoon keys which are extremely useful.

• There are no level restrictions (1-45) for CBT, from the start you're playing the full game
  • New Race and Class combinations will be available to choose (Gon FM, Yun KFM, Lyn BD)
  • Premium Membership benefits will be available for use to those that have access to it, which you can buy for 1 NCoin in the Hongmoon Shop
  • BONUS: You can GIFT Premium Membership to your friends (CBT ONLY)
  • You will get rewards for completing surveys. Useful ones at that.
  • For those that either have the Disciple or Master pack, you will receive test NCoin for you to use in the CBT (will not subtract from what you'll get for release)
  • Cash shop will be available
  • All character slots (7) will be open during CBT
  • The fatigue system will not be implemented in our version, rejoice!
  • CBT will be Gamepad supported
  • Name reservation will be available after CBT has ended, emails will be sent out when players will be able to login and reserve their desired names. First come first serve basis.
uYZviZ1.png

Blade & Soul is a Wuxia inspired Martial Arts MMO that was first introduced in Korea back in 2008. Extravagant, flashy combat mechanics, engaging storyline, and a beautiful world designed by popular Korean manhwa-style artist Hyung-Tae Kim had generated an incredible amount of buzz not only in its own region but overseas as well. Upon its release in 2012 it crushed the Korean gaming market, overtaking the lead in player popularity among giants such as Blizzard's Diablo 3 and Riot's League of Legends (granted there was no server maintenance at the time.. but minor detail!).

pk1NaP6.png

Pick one of the four unique races you'll find inhabiting the world of martial artists, each with their own set of disciplines.

IFaXKPT.png

Train as one of seven classes, each with their own strengths, defenses, abilities, and devastating combos.

ggzAvnN.png

GAF will be joining the Crimson Legion Faction

The individuals heading the clan have a great deal of experience with the game by having played the Korean, Chinese, Japanese, and/or Taiwan clients previously. Feel free to use them as resources for any questions you may have and do not hesitate to ask for help. To get an invite to the clan be sure to either post here or contact one of the following people below either in-game or PM:

*Placeholder for ShinMaruku's Character

CKmvbdW.png

The easiest way to gain access to CBT is to buy a Founder's Pack. There's 3 to choose from, Initiate, Disciple, and Master. If you're simply looking to gain access to CBT and nothing else, then the Initiate Pack is the way to go. For those who are looking to get the most bang for their buck, the Master pack is definitely the one to purchase. Other than throwing money down on a Founder's Pack, another way to gain access is through NCSoft's beta key giveaways. Be sure to sign up to their Blade & Soul newsletter and keep your eyes peeled on their Twitter account for any events.

Keeping the CBT OT fairly simple as the main OT is MASSIVE. Hope you're ready!

Nokterian

Still thinking of buying the most expensive founder pack..i am in need of a new mmo. Played 10 years of WoW (still love the game though) but the fatigue has set in and i want to start something that looks cool and engaging this is hitting those notes for me.

I'm pretty excited tbh. I didn't expect to be able to play this beta but managed to get in on the curse giveaway.

By the way, does anyone know how this runs on low spec machines? I'm trying to decide if I should install on my laptop as well.

edit: ehh, my laptop's gpu is below the minimum but maybe I'll try it anyway. Ty for link SDBurton!

Hubb

Have they said when name reservation/head start will be? How into 2016 is this going to release?

Hikami

edit: nvm
You have "Starts the 30th" and then "Starts the 29th" right after that in the OT :p

I've played the game already in the Chinese server so not too excited but it's been a while, maybe actually being able to understand stuff will make it better.

SDBurton

edit: nvm
You have "Starts the 30th" and then "Starts the 29th" right after that in the OT :p

I've played the game already in the Chinese server so not too excited but it's been a while, maybe actually being able to understand stuff will make it better.

Thought I changed it already haha, thanks.

SDBurton

I'm pretty excited tbh. I didn't expect to be able to play this beta but managed to get in on the curse giveaway.

By the way, does anyone know how this runs on low spec machines? I'm trying to decide if I should install on my laptop as well.

The system requirements can be found here. :)

Have they said when name reservation/head start will be? How into 2016 is this going to release?

Name reservation will take place after the final CBT. They stated the game will release in Q1 of next year (January - March). Honestly, my money is on mid-late Jan. They will send out email notifications detailing when name reservations will start.

Ultimadrago

NOTE for Screenshots: We recommend you use IrfanViewer's built-in Screen Capture for high quality images. Blade and Soul's built in Screenshot feature (PrtScr) creates low quality images.

IrfanViewer:

In the top-menu go to "Options" and then "Capture/Screenshot" to see the Settings for Screen Capture.

instructionshhjzn.jpg

You can change them as you like, but the above are my options. Now, you must keep IrfanViewer ON in the background (or minimized) in order for it to work. Using your chosen shortcut buttons while in game should make a System Sound to let you know an image has been captured.

If anyone has a better, easier alternative for high-quality shots, please tell us. Assuming you make an awesome character, you will want to take shots of them in badass outfits to share with the community and for safe keeping.

By the way, Ctrl+X is the default keybind to hide the UI.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Just saw the game has specific race/class choices ugh. And Gon/Kun can only be 2 classes.

Oh well :(

SDBurton

Just saw the game has specific race/class choices ugh. And Gon/Kun can only be 2 classes.

Oh well :(

Gon can be Destroyer, Kung-Fu Master, or Force Master.

Yun can be Blade Master, Force Master, or Kung-Fu Master.

Originally both races could only had two classes to select from, but they recently allowed Gon to become FM, while giving the Yun race the option to take the KFM path.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Ah good those werent in the videos I saw.

Rhaknar

What class can throw giant monsters in the air and piledrive them and shit?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I played some of the alpha. Don't know if I want to play too much beta because I already know what I want to play and I know they're gonna wipe.

Rhaknar

SDBurton, as a big fan of MMOs and fighters has really had a great time playing Kung Fu Master. So, that makes it his digital drug too!

That's the Destroyer class.

The giant axe one? I thought it would be kung fu master or something, im sure I saw a gif of one throwing a monster in the air and I dont remember seeing a giant axe. I'm not doubting you btw

K.Sabot

Knowing what ShinMaruku's character looks like is of utmost importance before I spend the $$$ to get in the beta.

SDBurton

The giant axe one? I thought it would be kung fu master or something, im sure I saw a gif of one throwing a monster in the air and I dont remember seeing a giant axe. I'm not doubting you btw

KFMs have a similar move, but it is indeed the Destroyer class that has the spinning piledriver finisher. The second webm in the OP showcases that exact move we speak of. Unlike other classes Destroyers have the ability to pick up defeated foes and toss them at others.

They also have moves such as this (thanks shaowebb):

1kAVPVd.gif

Knowing what ShinMaruku's character looks like is of utmost importance before I spend the $$$ to get in the beta.

My character is not enough for you?! RIP

Rhaknar

Yes thats the gif I saw! lol

Man that character creation tho...

GN1xGRGVuIn9f6w5dELQHGwuHh5xrLYpoxyRWU21G8wch90tWz1jRE7DDPBFWNUP86484OTCYd7k-n7CEGdekCmLsx8KDGJ--mE5M2ZN95YK2DQZ

Hikami

Always chose Assassin or Blade Master the previous times I've played this.. Gonna go with Force or Kung-Fu this time.

_woLf

Has anyone who registered for the newsletter got a beta key? I'm curious if that's legitimately a thing.

I registered the second it went up and didn't get a key :(

Azusa

Has anyone who registered for the newsletter got a beta key? I'm curious if that's legitimately a thing.

I registered the second it went up and didn't get a key :(
I don't remember if it was a newsletter, but I have received a beta key yesterday.

Edit: yes it was a newsletter key

Rhaknar

I don't remember if it was a newsletter, but I have received a beta key yesterday.

Same, I have no idea where I registered. Probably some generic NCSOFT "sign me up for any betas" blizzard style?

Chariot

Any good fresh impressions? My quick search on YouTube only bought me old videos, russian videos and videos about breasts.

Chariot

Mine. I went gung-ho on newsletter signups in case only 1-2% got them. In my case it was about <20%.

So I actually have 14 beta keys to give out, to the 14 first people to PM me asking for one. But only if you REALLY want it! ;)
Oh, that's very cool of you. I hope I am quick enough.

Makikou

Bought the founder pack (curse you ease of internet purchase).

Where can i download as the CBT seems to have started already for this weekend?

EDIT: Found it on Support pages, impressive 3.5mb/s coming in. I usually get only 2mb/s.

yaffi

I know that. I just meant in general.

And judging from the way this plays, playing on US servers as a European probably isn't an option.

Well that stinks.
I just realized that any B&S newsletter emails default straight to my junkbox (which wipes everything after 2 days). It's possible that I got a beta key and never even noticed. =/

dragn

got a key from the newsletter yesterday too, but waiting for the eu server. can you change the game installer download location somehow?

SDBurton

Will be home around 4:30PST today, when I do I'll have the clan up and running. Post your character names when you can so I can start tossing out invites when I do.

Top Bottom