• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade & Soul Beta Thread: East Finally Meets West

_woLf

Does anyone know if I can quickly make my character to reserve a name, and then delete the char/reuse the name again?

In order words, when you delete a character on your account, is the character name reserved to your account for any specific amount of time?

Tried the Taiwanese version and it ran real bad on my computer, which it shouldn't as I've got i7-5820 @ 3,3GHz with a GTX 980. So I don't know if this is another of those Korean mmo that it is poorly optimized or if there's something else wrong with my computer, but there's sadly no way I could play an action oriented mmo with FPS randomly dropping even on the lowest settings...

It's a shame 'cause it seems to do a lot of things that I could get into (mainly on the pvp side) and I almost bought a Founder pack. I'll most certainly try the EU version once it's out in case they optimized it a bit better for high end rigs, but I'm not very optimistic on that side.

I'm running a 5820K at 4.3 ghz with a 980 Ti and I was still getting frame drops in town when a lot of other players were around. This game is not optimized for anything, period. It's a Korean UE3-based MMO, it could not be worse optimized unless they purposely put code in to tank the performance just to trololol the players.

1v1 PvP in the Arena shoul be fine though. Out in the field and in dungeons where very few other players are around, it should also be fine. To prevent wildly fluctuating frame rate, set a 60 fps cap, don't let it jump around between 150 and 15 fps.

Baalzebup

Does anyone know if I can quickly make my character to reserve a name, and then delete the char/reuse the name again?

In order words, when you delete a character on your account, is the character name reserved to your account for any specific amount of time?

It seems it is up for grabs as soon as you delete the character, as this is specifically mentioned in the launch guide
Be advised that selecting a name for your character comes after customizing their appearance. Additionally, if you want to recustomize your character’s look at launch you will need to delete your reserved character, and may risk someone else taking your name before you can change your character’s look.

So this is JRPG meets WRPG in a mashup then I understand it. When western finally meets Japan

Lolwat? 'tis a Korean MMO with fast, actiongamey combat. JRPG and WRPG are both totally off the mark as terminology goes.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
That's. Fucked. Up.

Gaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh.............

If you pre-ordered either the Disciple or Master Pack you'll get a voucher to alter the appearance of your character. That's what some people plan to use in order to increase their chances of getting the name they want.

Hubb

Are spaces allowed/required in names? Still on the fence with this game, not sure I want to jump into an MMO again.

Vex_

Banned
I think i will give it a try on launch ...
Good... Good. Soon all of GAF will be stuck on b&s.
family-guy-good-good-o.gif

Oh boy, I sure hope no one takes the name "honeybun" at launch!

Yam's

It's UE3 *and* an MMO. Only 3 of your 12 threads are being used. Overclocking to 4.0+ GHz should get your frame times down significantly.

Ok thanks will try that and see if it improves my fps.

I'm running a 5820K at 4.3 ghz with a 980 Ti and I was still getting frame drops in town when a lot of other players were around. This game is not optimized for anything, period. It's a Korean UE3-based MMO, it could not be worse optimized unless they purposely put code in to tank the performance just to trololol the players.

1v1 PvP in the Arena shoul be fine though. Out in the field and in dungeons where very few other players are around, it should also be fine. To prevent wildly fluctuating frame rate, set a 60 fps cap, don't let it jump around between 150 and 15 fps.

Drops in town would be fine, however my drops occur at total random anywhere on the map. Even in those transitions zones where I'm all alone. The fps just drops to 40 and then goes back to 60 in a second, but it's enough to feel as if the game just froze for an instant.

I'll try some tweaks and see if it changes anything. I'd really want to give this game a shot.

Drops in town would be fine, however my drops occur at total random anywhere on the map. Even in those transitions zones where I'm all alone. The fps just drops to 40 and then goes back to 60 in a second, but it's enough to feel as if the game just froze for an instant.

I'll try some tweaks and see if it changes anything. I'd really want to give this game a shot.

I'm literally talking to a mate about this at the moment. We both experienced the problems, and he found something about it being a cpu issue (which doesn't surprise me). From memory, the game used like 2gig VRAM and 60% GPU usage. Cpu usage was all over the shop. Being that it's an old game, it's probably more likely that it doesn't like to play well with modern cpus - which I doubt they will fix.

Yam's

Yeah I was able to up my fps by setting B&S priority as High in the Task Manager, I tried some settings in the Nvidia Pannel, but it doesn't seem like I'll be able to get rid of those that way either.

Sadly after some research I'm not confident enough to overclock my CPU, so that's not an option either.

I'll still give the EU version a try in case they fixed some things after the Beta, one can hope :D

Finaika

I'm literally talking to a mate about this at the moment. We both experienced the problems, and he found something about it being a cpu issue (which doesn't surprise me). From memory, the game used like 2gig VRAM and 60% GPU usage. Cpu usage was all over the shop. Being that it's an old game, it's probably more likely that it doesn't like to play well with modern cpus - which I doubt they will fix.

*hugs 2500K*

Ricker

I think I will try this as well...really enjoyed Tera with some of you guys here a few years ago and this kinda looks similar and I just ran the ''can you run it'' and my aging PC is fine with it,not on ultra but it should look nice anyway...

Just need to install the retail version and I'm all set!

I guess I can uninstall the closed beta version since all the saved character templates are in a different folder?

SDBurton

Just need to install the retail version and I'm all set!

I guess I can uninstall the closed beta version since all the saved character templates are in a different folder?

Yep. I made a copy of my creation folder as I was unsure if it would get deleted when I uninstalled the CBT client, but sure enough it was still there.

Does the game support SLI?

Not at this time.

Kitoro

Not at this time.

Damn! Just bought an SLI Ultrabay for my laptop, hoping I'd be able to run it on max settings that way. Sad to hear that won't be the case. :( Have they said anything about working on it? Does the 4 year old Asian version support it yet?

Thanks again!

Kitoro

Also, how easy is it to set up an Asian account to use character creation before the reservation period begins? Any links and advice would be appreciated!

Vex_

Banned
They got new hairstyles.... At launch so...

Yea. I'm not getting my name :c I'm gonna take hours to figure out what looks good.

anothertech

Yep. I made a copy of my creation folder as I was unsure if it would get deleted when I uninstalled the CBT client, but sure enough it was still there.

Not at this time.
Oh, do we need to actually uninstall the CB version and reinstall? I thought it would just update the client when the new version was ready. Bummer.

Kitoro

Yea. I'm not getting my name :c I'm gonna take hours to figure out what looks good.

The English release is getting new hairstyles at launch? Are those hairstyles available in the Asian versions for creating characters now?

Vex_

Banned
The English release is getting new hairstyles at launch? Are those hairstyles available in the Asian versions for creating characters now?

Not sure. All it says is this:

New Character Options
New hairstyles, hair color, facial customization options, and additional skintones will be available in the launch client.

Here: http://www.bladeandsoul.com/en/news/launch-guide/

Wait... Damn. New facial customization options too?

Welp. Gonna delete my character saves now. Gonna restart anyways from scratch.

Edit: just a funny thought when I was thinking about skin tones... I wonder if anyone was successful in making Hsien Ko?????!!!! She's my favorite undead waifu.

Ranmo

Oh, wow. WIth that updated news I'm probably going to be in the creator for more than a few hours on the 15h.

So was a server / allegiance finalized for the gaf team?

SDBurton

Also, how easy is it to set up an Asian account to use character creation before the reservation period begins? Any links and advice would be appreciated!

It's really easy, I just followed that guy's tutorial: http://www.twitch.tv/aalaguna

Thanks for providing a link Yam's. :)

RIP :p

Oh, do we need to actually uninstall the CB version and reinstall? I thought it would just update the client when the new version was ready. Bummer.

Looking at the page they state it's not necessary to uninstall previous clients, but recommended. I just did it to be on the safe side.

Nope. We'll be the first region to get the new hairstyles and colors.

Oh, wow. WIth that updated news I'm probably going to be in the creator for more than a few hours on the 15h.

So was a server / allegiance finalized for the gaf team?

We're going to be rolling on the Mushin server and joining the Cerulean Order faction. Just a heads up right now, server is going to be very populated at launch, so there may be a bit of a wait time for those that don't have a founder's pack.

Looking at the page they state it's not necessary to uninstall previous clients, but recommended. I just did it to be on the safe side.

Damn, I didn't play the closed betas since I bought it too late, but I downloaded the game ahead of time. Oh well, I hope they allow us to pre-load with some time before head start

dragn

any way to get a headstart code other than from the packs? cheapest pack doenst have anything and i dont really need so much ncoin with the higher ones

SDBurton

Damn, I didn't play the closed betas since I bought it too late, but I downloaded the game ahead of time. Oh well, I hope they allow us to pre-load with some time before head start

If you want to get the launch version of the game you can download it here.

any way to get a headstart code other than from the packs? cheapest pack doenst have anything and i dont really need so much ncoin with the higher ones

They were giving out headstart codes to random winners during their stream on the 7th, don't know if they're doing any more giveaways.

Are you playing the game off an SSD? That sounds like the usual UE3 high framerate hitching and stuttering due to asset loading and streaming.

SmallWind

Apologies in advance, but I have little experience with Twitch. ^_^; I clicked the link, and it shows his black screen offline feed, and I went to his past recorded videos and most popular, and didn't find a tutorial video anywhere there, either.

Thanks for the further info!
After the black screen, you scroll down a bit to see the instructions.

------

Copy pasted the instructions from the channel below for convenience:
How to Play on BnS Taiwan

Create NCSoft TW account (Translate page, birthday = year/month/day)

Download Game Client

Open Client, Log in, hit big blue orb to download/install game

Urbancowgurl777's English Patch Choose most recent xml(date).dat file

Rename downloaded file to xml.dat and replace xml file in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\NCTaiwan\Blade & Soul\contents\Local\NCTAIWAN\CHINESET\data

Yam's

Are you playing the game off an SSD? That sounds like the usual UE3 high framerate hitching and stuttering due to asset loading and streaming.

I didn't install the game on my SSD, will give that a try then.

Edit: Ok it seems a bit better on my SSD. I still get some micro-freeze, but not as often. Gonna try a ping booster too in case this has anything to do with my ping (I doubt it but we never know).

LowParry

Is there a time frame between the patches? It seems like we're getting some sort of soft launch first and it's a tad discouraging.

Edit: Also what time does name reservations start tomorrow?

SDBurton

Here's something we can look forward to getting if we get enough people to gather resources to level up the clan.

We could come up with some pretty interesting designs. :D

Is there a time frame between the patches? It seems like we're getting some sort of soft launch first and it's a tad discouraging.

Edit: Also what time does name reservations start tomorrow?

Name reservations open at 6:00 PM PST. We don't have a time frame of when content patches will hit other than their intent of being aggressive with them.

Zand

Neo Member
Some have mentioned deleting your character presets, please be aware that you can edit those presets once you load them up. So you can check out / apply any of the new character customization that NA/EU is getting.

mkenyon

Banned
No, this is not the case.

UE3 and MMOs are extremely per-thread performance dependent, always have been. It's just that since it only uses 3 threads, modern CPUs are more or less near the same kind of performance as older parts like Sandy Bridge, when clocked similarly.

Most of the stutter should cease once you get your proc over 4.0 GHz, though anything physics based will still cause frame time increases well over 50ms when it hits.

It's just a really old and shitty engine, designed almost entirely for the X-Box 360.

*edit*

Here's some tests I ran on another UE3 game. It's the same for all of them.

SDBurton

I should probably look into class show videos (if they exist). Still not sure what class I want to roll with.

Thinking about posting the OT today so people can get all the info they need, as well as making sure people roll on Mushin server for launch as name reservation is this evening.

Top Bottom