• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade & Soul Beta Thread: East Finally Meets West

Athreous

We're gonna be on patch 3.00 at launch, meaning in truth we'll only be a year behind Korea and they already said their update schedule is going to be very aggressive so we'll have the ability to participate in the next World Championship.

If it's 3.0, new classes should be avaliable already I think

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
If it's 3.0, new classes should be avaliable already I think

I think a few pages back Shin mentioned that our patch would be modified, meaning we wouldn't get the warlock class at launch, but class skills would be updated.

Nonetheless, we're going to be getting content updates rather quickly so we'll get caught up to Korea soon enough.

The goal of releasing content gradually is to keep people playing past the first month. It's not a big deal in BnS because the game is launching F2P, you can play awhile, take a break, play more when there's more content, etc. There's no monthly sub to pay so starting behind on content doesn't matter, especially since as noted they plan to have us caught up by Worlds.

Kitoro

Are all the classes pretty well balanced, or do some flat out suck after this apparent rebalancing that will come after 3.0?

ShinMaruku

Are all the classes pretty well balanced, or do some flat out suck after this apparent rebalancing that will come after 3.0?

They will mainly be the same outside of warlocks who get nerfed but with the rebalancing some classes just scale off better than the others, mainly summoner,destroyers to a bit of a extent since they are so high regardless, to Assassin and Force Master who really start to go the fuck off. The others s like the kfm and SM they stay the same but get outscaled a bit and the other two just getting nerfed to normalized and get outscaled.

SDBurton

They will mainly be the same outside of warlocks who get nerfed but with the rebalancing some classes just scale off better than the others, mainly summoner,destroyers to a bit of a extent since they are so high regardless, to Assassin and Force Master who really start to go the fuck off. The others s like the kfm and SM they stay the same but get outscaled a bit and the other two just getting nerfed to normalized and get outscaled.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't KFMs get a boost in their threat generating abilities in the 3.0 patch?

ShinMaruku

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't KFMs get a boost in their threat generating abilities in the 3.0 patch?

All tanks get something like that but yeah KFMs get a boost. However they are the go to tanks regardless. I was generally talking in terms of damage and what not. The difference will be minor except for the edge cases.

SDBurton

All tanks get something like that but yeah KFMs get a boost. However they are the go to tanks regardless. I was generally talking in terms of damage and what not. The difference will be minor except for the edge cases.

Of course, I was just happy that they're increasing the amount of threat KFMs generate so bosses can stay focused on me. :)

SDBurton

Any changes with healing? Or is it just minor with the Summoner?

1.) Not that I'm aware of, but I haven't really looked at what changes were made for that class

2.) I had no idea you played this! How have you been? It's been ages since we've had those matches in Tag 2. Good times. :D

LowParry

1.) Not that I'm aware of, but I haven't really looked at what changes were made for that class

2.) I had no idea you played this! How have you been? It's been ages since we've had those matches in Tag 2. Good times. :D

I'm looking into playing, yes :D Yeah haven't seen ya around much but hey, busy times.

LowParry

Awesome! Now that you mentioned it, I need to become more active in the Tekken thread. :lol

When we get more close to a Tekken 7 release, I'll get myself more active. It's all about SFV in the mean time.

But yeah, I was leaning towards summoner anyway so we'll see.

Edit: Any way of getting the client or will there be a new one around early access?

LowParry

Kind of a hard decision. All the classes look like a lot of fun. Kung Fu is straight up Paul Phoenix. Lyn look pretty awesome in motion as well. Ehhhh, kind of wish I got some time with the CB but eh whatever. I think whatever choice I make I'll be happy with.

SDBurton

Kind of a hard decision. All the classes look like a lot of fun. Kung Fu is straight up Paul Phoenix. Lyn look pretty awesome in motion as well. Ehhhh, kind of wish I got some time with the CB but eh whatever. I think whatever choice I make I'll be happy with.

KFM's are tons of fun, and go extremely well with players of our background. We have a backstep, sidesteps, counters, take downs, which all can lead to some pretty wicked setups with other classes. Since we're considered the main tank in the game we'll always be in demand for dungeons which is great. :D

I heard people were having issues dealing with Summoners in Arena, so if you roll with that class you're going to have fun driving other people crazy. :lol

ShinMaruku

Really anybody with some sick animation canceling will be good for you guys. KFM is probably the most technical but Assassin when you get your stuff down, deadly.

LowParry

Is the game pretty friendly with alts? I usually have at least 2 characters with MMOs.

Edit: Actually, Assassin do look pretty sharp. Assassin and Summoner. I could go with that.

Makki

Is the game pretty friendly with alts? I usually have at least 2 characters with MMOs.

I would say no based on the fact that you go through the same exact story/mission/area (minute conversation differences), there is no account bank storage, and cosmetic items are locked to that one character.

The combat differences though will make you re-roll anyway, and arena combat doesnt care about your gear so at least the PVP side is alt friendly. Gon, Jin and Yun (forgive me if I didnt spell em right) also have very different looking outfits even if its the same item, so if you are into that you will be doing alts.

One nice thing about it being F2P is instead of making alts on the same account, you can just have multiple accounts. Since bank isn't shared and costumes are per-character, it's not useful to have alts on the same account anyways.

LowParry

One nice thing about it being F2P is instead of making alts on the same account, you can just have multiple accounts. Since bank isn't shared and costumes are per-character, it's not useful to have alts on the same account anyways.

So in other words, pick that right class. lol - I think I have a choice between two at this point though that also ties into race. Jin or Lyn. That's a toughy.

cHinzo

Can u just focus on PvE in this game or are u forced to get into the (amazing?) PvP at some point? I'm more of a guy who liked to do dungeons and get loot and stuff. Combat was fun, but kinda tiring in the beta. It's very active. Also, how is the economy during the end game?

So in other words, pick that right class. lol - I think I have a choice between two at this point though that also ties into race. Jin or Lyn. That's a toughy.

You don't have to pick the right class right away, just don't buy any costumes until you're sure of what you're going to main at endgame.

Of course if you end up having multiple classes at endgame, you get to cough up that costume money for every one if that's what you want. Such is the life of F2P. At least you're not paying monthly like the Koreans do.

SDBurton

Can u just focus on PvE in this game or are u forced to get into the (amazing?) PvP at some point? I'm more of a guy who liked to do dungeons and get loot and stuff. Combat was fun, but kinda tiring in the beta. It's very active. Also, how is the economy during the end game?

You can focus solely on PvE if you want, though in the game there's a currency called "Faction Insignias" that we'll need in order to rank up our clan. To obtain these insignias you have to complete the PvP dailies provided. By ranking up the clan we'll be able to increase the size of it, as well as get additional benefits.

Economy is good, I feel that's because people who need gold can simply trade the NCoin they have for in-game currency and vice versa. You'll also be making major bank with your dungeon runs. Like mentioned before rather than having an RNG system for dungeon loot, in this game dungeon loot is distributed via a bidding system. Those with the highest bids get the drop and the amount they offered gets split among the rest of the party.

cHinzo

You can focus solely on PvE if you want, though in the game there's a currency called "Faction Insignias" that we'll need in order to rank up our clan. To obtain these insignias you have to complete the PvP dailies provided. By ranking up the clan we'll be able to increase the size of it, as well as get additional benefits.

Economy is good, I feel that's because people who need gold can simply trade the NCoin they have for in-game currency and vice versa. You'll also be making major bank with your dungeon runs. Like mentioned before rather than having an RNG system for dungeon loot, in this game dungeon is distributed via a bidding system. Those with the highest bids get the drop and the amount they offered gets split among the rest of the party.
Sounds great! I'm looking more forward to this game than Black Desert myself, since that game only has some kind of weird open dungeons and so many trade restrictions.

SDBurton

Sounds great! I'm looking more forward to this game than Black Desert myself, since that game only has some kind of weird open dungeons and so many trade restrictions.

Glad to hear it! I was hyped for Black Desert myself at one point, but after reading Steparu's impressions of it, it turned me off from trying it. :lol

Really looking forward to doing dungeon runs with you all. And in case anyone forgot, we have a discord server for anyone that would like to chat with us. :)

ShinMaruku

Generally you won't need too much focus on pvp if you don't want to do it. You can also get things from faction npcs so you don't nessicarily go into pvp. One thing I love about this game
The fact that Black Desert's pvp is the only end game and some of the other systems I have completely written it off.

Vex_

Banned

Economy is good, I feel that's because people who need gold can simply trade the NCoin they have for in-game currency and vice versa. You'll also be making major bank with your dungeon runs. Like mentioned before rather than having an RNG system for dungeon loot, in this game dungeon loot is distributed via a bidding system. Those with the highest bids get the drop and the amount they offered gets split among the rest of the party.

So in other words:

You'll be a dead weight unless you participate and help us out >:3
jkjk

I will be doing mostly PvE in the beginning, but if another faction shows up on my pve journey... OH THERE WILL BE ASS TO KICK. I spam sweep all day!!!!!!!!!

*sigh*

Man... Just counting down the days... I'm glad our presets are at least useable so we can create our characters much quicker. My character is cute, pure, and tsundere.

On BDO: I will certainly give that game a fair shake. But B&S will be my main mmo for the foreseeable future.

NeOak

So Shin streams TERA. I try to talk to him and even invite him to the guild and he just ignores me.

OK. ;-;

Sorry if there is a more current thread around.

Is this actually a character action game in disguise? One of my dreams from the second I booted up WoW has always been to play a Devil May Cry/-like MMO. Is this what I'm hoping for in any capacity whatsoever?

Sorry if there is a more current thread around.

Is this actually a character action game in disguise? One of my dreams from the second I booted up WoW has always been to play a Devil May Cry/-like MMO. Is this what I'm hoping for in any capacity whatsoever?

As far as I know, there isn't a more current thread. I think everyone is just waiting patiently for release.

The combat is not really much like DMC or Bayonetta. However, it feels a LOT more fast paced than something like World of Warcraft, and way more fun in my opinion. Someone else can probably give a better explanation, but since the game is free anyway I highly recommend giving it a try for yourself!

ShinMaruku

It's more an action game than a MMO, in pvp and some other things it's pretty close to character action game but there are still some cooldowns and other things.

ShinMaruku

Here is a good story so far timeline based off what I seen from a translated source with me putting in things from our version:

Far past ( Time Unknown )

There was the nation of Bulla (not enough information, mentioned only in certain legendary quest items)
Black Dragon Cult(?) is said to have existed since this time

Story from about 1000 years past

Twilight Edge(The sword we see Jin Seyeon carring about) is forged from a meteor that fell from the sky.

Sesin(the buddhist monk-like dudes) is formed

The Naryu Empire ruled the 4 continents with powerful machines, the Beopgis.
1392812212j5TNt9ptaHSOZa.jpg

Chun Jin Gwon (In our version he's just called Mushin and his house is called the Mu) was despised by the court because he was born to a concubine with low blood status.
Only the Three Royal Elders(Later known as the Three Mushin Elders) protected and taught the him.

The Mushin Tower was built to train Mushin, whom after lengthy training and overcoming many difficulties earns the title Mushin(God of Martial Arts)

He later becomes a Great General of the Naryu Empire and unlike the royalty, many people follow Mushin as he was not only extremely powerful, but also had excellent virtue(?)

However the royal court considered this a threat and he was conspired against by his own brothers and was thrown in jail.
This unlocked the deep hatred within Mushin's heart that had been there since his childhood, and Mushin became untrusting and furious against humanity.
The Pain, Fury, and Darkness (not sure if correct) seen in the Tower of Mushin are the traces of these days.

It is about this time the heavens decide to choose 4 great beings to fight against the growing chaos and darkness.
These four were bestowed with amazing strength and were to live forever and to be stronger than any other mortal.

i3025003127.jpg

The four were
The Expert Swordsman, The Celestial Sword(Kum-sun) Biwol
The God of Martial Arts, Chun Jin-Gwon
The Master of Force and Magic, The Specter(Hwan-Gui) Ik San-Un
and the one said to have no equal in Brute Force, The Force King (Yuk-Wang) Hong Seuk-Geun.

These four became to be called the Four Great Guardians and were praised by the people.
They were called upon times of great peril.

Unlike the upright Bi-wol and Hong Seuk-Geun(Master Hong the teacher of the hongmoon arts), the talkative Ik San-Un favored Mushin because of his easier personality.
This however results in blindly trusting Mushin and starting a great tragedy later.

They were all forbidden from making any ties to the mortal world however they all break it at some point.

First was Mushin, for he left descendants.
With the help of the Three Mushin Elders, he creates the Tomb of Mushin to only allow the one
with his blood may enter and receive power. He also created the Silver and Gold Locks as the key to entering the tomb and left it with the Mu-Young Dan, the secret organization of the Naryu Empire. Finally, he teaches the Hwe-rangs (the wolf like guys) how to create the Mushin Compass which will react to the blood of Mushin.

Sometime later, a Naryu Royalty proceeds with the Chun-Myung Ceremony and brings forth the Demon King himself.
The Four Great Guardians fought against the demon and Mushin attempts to sacrifice himself to take down the Demon King using the Twilight Edge.

Although successful in banishing the Demon King while surviving, Mushin is consumed in the darkness fueling the already existing hate in his heart.
As time passes he sees humanity as it is and the hatred towards it grows to the point where he decideds to become partners with the underworld and to become to ruler of the human world.

At this point the Demon Yura goes undercover in the human world in an attempt to bring the demon king back.

Also the fight against the underworld continued all around the world with Mushin excusing himself to fight back the darkness from his attempted sacrifice, of course he was only taking this time to master the darkness to make it his own.
The fight resulted in turning the Northern Lands, which was originally full of green into an ever-snowing whitelands and burned and dried to Naryu capital to create the great Desert.

The Chun-Bloodline and the Naryu empire falls and in its place is created the Un-Empire of the Seop-Bloodline. They base the capital in an area west of the great desert, the KeonwonsungDo, (Recently updated in KR server) and goes on to rule most of what was previously ruled by the Naryu.

The Muyong Dan, secret Naryu Organization, was supposedly destroyed at this point, but a small faction manages to survive.

30-50 years past
Baek-Mugi comes to Biwol in wishes of learning her Sword but Biwol refuses because she wasn’t supposed to create ties. However Baek-Mugi builds a hut beneath the Biwol Peak and constantly seeks the help of Biwol. She ends up giving some pointers. People started gathering and was created the Baekchung Pa, one of the greatest Sword Styles in all of the continents. (This is essentially similar to the blade master style we have today in game)

30 years past
Seop Hwan, the youngest prince becomes emperor of the The Stratus Empire . The Eldest Seop Mu becomes the lord of the western continent and the second Seop Gwang becomes the lord of the eastern continent. However at the time the Western and the Eastern continents were mere colonies to the main provinces in the South, so they were less than happy.
The Eldest performs the Chun-Myung Ceremony, believing that it will bestow him the right to be empire. He fails, however, the western continent is swallowed entirely in darkness and no living thing could survive on the continent. It was thereafter called SeoRak(I’m guessing Evil of the West) and not even the daring Black Ram pirates dared to sail in its direction. The few survivors fled to different continents. Jin Seyoen was a mere child when she escaped the continent.
The Darkness from the west began growing into the Northern continent and the Un Empire began to shake after losing two continents. In this time of need, the youngest price, and now Emperor Seop Hwan is wasting the nation’s money on drinking and women.

The Second prince, Seop Gwang was not much different for he was drinking is life away in agony that he wasn’t made emperor. He calls upon the demon Yura, who was disguising herself as a Ki-Nyeo(Something like a Geisha) and falls in love with her. Yuran convinces Seop Gwang to perform the Chun-Myung Ceremony to become Emperor himself but only ends up destroying the Old City. (As seen in-game).

Nam-Sullin is chosen to become a concubine, however she was in a relationship with the country’s general Kun Ma-Yum.

Kun Ma-Yum is sent to the eastern continent to fight the rebellion that broke out. Kun Ma-Yum succeeds and becomes the hero of the Empire.

At this point Nam Sullin bears the daughter of the Emperor and names her Seop Soyu. She goes to Un-Rim Temple in the Eastern continent to take a break. There she meets with her true love the Great General and the Hero Kun-Ma-Yum.

However there was an attempted assassination of Nam Sullin and Soyu by the Queen Ak, who felt threatened. The assassination was unsuccessful(as seen in-game), however the queen reveals that Nam Sullin and Kun Ma Yum are actually lovers and creates a rumor that the two were conspiring against the empire.
Also, the assassin who was about to kill the baby is the same person as the monk Hyun-dam.
After one of his greatest lieutenants Geo-Geo Boong (The huge dude that hangs around with JSY) was executed for treason Kun Ma Yum realizes that everything he loves is at stake and starts a rebellion in the east. He kills all Un soldiers that refused to follow him and creates a new nation called the Talus Dominion .

Naturally war broke out between the two countries, and at first the Talus Dominion Poong was losing drastically and almost lost it capital Kang-Ryu. However the tides changed as JSY joins the Talus Dominion .

With her excellent tactics and brute force she begins forcing the Un forces back. The remaining forces that couldn’t make it all the way back resided in the Suwol provinces and began retaliating against the Poong in small resistances that end up becoming the KyungChun Maeng.

After the war, despite the history and the opposition of the council, the Emperor of the Poong, Kun Ma-Yum takes his lover Nam Sullin as queen and promotes JSY as high councilor for her efforts in the war.

10’ish years past.
Kun Ma-Hye is born as a princess however Nam-Sullin dies in childbirth.
Kun Ma-Yum, in his grief, loses interest in politics and the reigns are, in reality, handed over to JSY. With Yura now working with JSY, they prepare for the next Chun-Myung Ceremony to bring back the Demon King.

And that starts where we are today. The story gets a bit more deep than that but if I elaborate more some things will be spoiled.
Credit to Unexpired at Blade and soul dojo for the translation

Hastati

Watching pvp videos of this has gotten me very interested, I'm planning on playing Black Desert Online for RP/Sim/Large scale pvp purposes but want something to play in the interim. Could also always play both...

Is premium membership going to be a better way to go in the long run? Also, if you want to jump right in to guild pvp are there ways to quick level without having to do much PVE?

Also ShinMaruku, thanks for the translation, the story is a bit hard to follow but at least it's crazy in an entertaining way.

Premium looks much better for leveling, but I don't really know once you're at cap how useful it is. Wardrobe is obviously useful, but it's not really a necessity in many cases unless you plan on spending hundreds of dollars on EVERY outfit possible for your char. With hongman leveling stuff after release though, it might become useful again, but so far my plan is to only take 1month of premium then see from there. The 3months in the master pack seem wasteful(especially since you'll probably won't be able to pause it/only use one month at a time at your discretion).

SDBurton

Watching pvp videos of this has gotten me very interested, I'm planning on playing Black Desert Online for RP/Sim/Large scale pvp purposes but want something to play in the interim. Could also always play both...

Is premium membership going to be a better way to go in the long run? Also, if you want to jump right in to guild pvp are there ways to quick level without having to do much PVE?

Also ShinMaruku, thanks for the translation, the story is a bit hard to follow but at least it's crazy in an entertaining way.

Glad to see you're interested in checking this out. While you're leveling I'd definitely recommend having a premium membership as you'll not to only get an increase in xp from quests/dailies but gold too. For quick leveling I'd say doing PvE quests would be your best bet. I found myself leveling faster doing those than dungeon runs.

Hastati

Premium looks much better for leveling, but I don't really know once you're at cap how useful it is. Wardrobe is obviously useful, but it's not really a necessity in many cases unless you plan on spending hundreds of dollars on EVERY outfit possible for your char. With hongman leveling stuff after release though, it might become useful again, but so far my plan is to only take 1month of premium then see from there. The 3months in the master pack seem wasteful(especially since you'll probably won't be able to pause it/only use one month at a time at your discretion).

Glad to see you're interested in checking this out. While you're leveling I'd definitely recommend having a premium membership as you'll not to only get an increase in xp from quests/dailies but gold too. For quick leveling I'd say doing PvE quests would be your best bet. I found myself leveling faster doing those than dungeon runs.

Thank you for the info! I may just grab the master pack, hopefully it includes enough of the cosmetic coins to allow a couple costumes for one character. Thinking about hitting the grind as soon as I get back to the states and trying to hit the cap quickly. Actually in JP during the head start lol..

Also is the guild free to enter?

--

Decided to download the JP version to get used to the gameplay and world. Not gonna be around for the head start, but did grab the master pack anyway. Hopefully there's some way to reserve names without logging into the game!?

Baalzebup

Decided to download the JP version to get used to the gameplay and world. Not gonna be around for the head start, but did grab the master pack anyway. Hopefully there's some way to reserve names without logging into the game!?

I'm pretty sure the name reservations are done by creating the whole character when it becomes available on the 11th. There has been no mention of any other way of reserving a name.

SDBurton

Thank you for the info! I may just grab the master pack, hopefully it includes enough of the cosmetic coins to allow a couple costumes for one character. Thinking about hitting the grind as soon as I get back to the states and trying to hit the cap quickly. Actually in JP during the head start lol..

Also is the guild free to enter?

No problem! And yes the clan will be free to enter. Just message me, Shin, or Ultimadrago when you're able and we'll get you settled. Our character names will be displayed in the OT. :)

--

Name Reservation starts on the 11th and the only way to do so is by logging in. If you'd like, pm me your name and if we're able to create multiple characters I'll make a generic one and reserve yours for you.

Edit: Beaten by 3 hours lmao

Though I mentioned it in the thread much earlier I'm still thinking about picking up the master pack. Been wanting to experience another MMO recently (FFXIV is my main MMO) and this is definitely something I'd want to get into early.

My only concern is hoping the community/guilds/clans stay strong and active.

SDBurton

Though I mentioned it in the thread much earlier I'm still thinking about picking up the master pack. Been wanting to experience another MMO recently (FFXIV is my main MMO) and this is definitely something I'd want to get into early.

My only concern is hoping the community/guilds/clans stay strong and active.

I hear you. The community will be very active with a lot of clans rolling on Mushin (the CBT server) come launch. The fact that the faction ratio is not ridiculously one sided like previous games (AION for example) will be a big help in creating and maintaining an active and competitive environment. I haven't been so serious about an MMO since WoW (started in Vanilla, dropped at mid WoD) and I'm planning on spending a lot of time with this game and our clan.

Top Bottom