• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade & Soul Beta Thread: East Finally Meets West

Hastati

I'm pretty sure the name reservations are done by creating the whole character when it becomes available on the 11th. There has been no mention of any other way of reserving a name.

No problem! And yes the clan will be free to enter. Just message me, Shin, or Ultimadrago when you're able and we'll get you settled. Our character names will be displayed in the OT. :)

Name Reservation starts on the 11th and the only way to do so is by logging in. If you'd like, pm me your name and if we're able to create multiple characters I'll make a generic one and reserve yours for you.

Edit: Beaten by 3 hours lmao

Thanks a bunch!! Yeah, I messaged support about the name reservation but they told me basically nothing. I'll definitely apply for the guild, this game seems like it would be a blast to play with a big group.

As for the 11th, I may take you up on that offer! I won't be able to log in to the client in all likelihood, if I had a proxy I may be able to actually make use of those reservations. Really appreciate it :)

LowParry

So here's a question and I may have missed the big picture with this game. MMO and PVP I don't do. Ever. And what I see with this game is PVP.

So! That draws the question of, if I'm strictly PVE, what does this game have to offer? Cause right now I'm seeing 5 dungeons, some tower and a 24 man raid? That's it?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
So here's a question and I may have missed the big picture with this game. MMO and PVP I don't do. Ever. And what I see with this game is PVP.

So! That draws the question of, if I'm strictly PVE, what does this game have to offer? Cause right now I'm seeing 5 dungeons, some tower and a 24 man raid? That's it?

There's a number of dungeons (solo, 6-man, or 4-man) to check out. I can't remember the exact amount but there's a selection of instances you'll encounter as you progress through the game (ranging from green to purple in difficulty). At launch we're going to be starting off with an additional 2 end game dungeons that weren't available in the CBT on top of what we already had. There will also be world bosses that will require factions to gather their numbers in hopes of bringing them down. The tower you're referring to is Mushin's Tower, a challenging solo dungeon that will require players to learn their class inside and out in order to complete. I don't believe that will be available at launch though.

NCSoft also stated that they're going to be very aggressive with their content update schedule, as they want us to get caught up to Korea as soon as possible. While PvP is a major trait of the game (and has a HUUUUUGE e-sports scene in Korea), there will be enough PvE content to keep players busy until the content updates come. Most of the PvP you'll encounter in this game is through Arenas. The only time you'll PvP in the open world is if you're doing a PvP daily quest and you encounter another player or specific world bosses.

ShinMaruku

NCsoft also thought Wildstar would be a hit, I don't trust a word from them without proof. Only good thing I can say about content is since we are in 3.0 and the classes already in the code.

SDBurton

NCsoft also thought Wildstar would be a hit, I don't trust a word from them without proof.

They were the only ones that thought it would be. Everyone else were either scratching their heads or flipping tables as to why they decided to focus on that instead of bringing Blade & Soul over to the West. If they're determined in getting US players ready for Worlds next year they'll need to be on point with their content releases.

Zand

Neo Member

There is a LOT of PvE content to do in B&S, but we won't get it all at once. If we were to become updated to current KR, then you would have 17(?) endgame dungeons (some much harder than others depending on gear inflation from updates), 2 raids, 5(?) 24man zones. Just a lot of stuff. ;p

For PvP, you can skip it all if you want, or just live in the Arena. Open world PvP is totally up to you to decide if you want to be a target (by wearing a Faction outfit). To be honest, you should prepare yourself to the Faction dailies, as they are a great way to earn money PLUS it really really helps the Guild. The dailies are easy and pretty quick, so don't be put off by them (I dislike PvP as much as you most likely, but I do those dailies).

Vex_

Banned

I mean it's not like the PvE isn't fun. They give you plenty of reasons to learn and practice combos on enemies throughout the game too, ya know? I used to be like you and never touch pvp either, but this game is actually pretty cool. Anyways, this is what you get for *FREE

+You're getting kick ass action combat
+Youre getting a robust character creation system
+You're getting Blade Master, Destroyer, Summoner, Force Master, Kung Fu Master, Ass Ass in, Blade Dancer out of the box!
+4 Races! OUT OF THE BOX! OMFG!
+2 FACTIONS OUT OF THE BOX! JUST WEAR A COLOR, AND YOURE IN! BAM!
+You're getting "wuxia" inspired, large scale, colorful environments
+You're getting unique movement tools, designed to make use of these environments
Because who cares about mounts, just run and jump like a ninja
+Decent story as far as I've seen
+You're also getting to play with a premiere neogaf mmo group out of the box for *FREE

*Requires GAF GOLD ACCOUNT. Restrictions apply. Must be 18 or older. Blade and Soul, NCSOFT, and NEOGAF are all registered trademarks and don't have anything to do with this shit. I'm just making this up as I go. Canada is exempt as always, just because that's how it always is. Sucks for you guys.

I hear you. The community will be very active with a lot of clans rolling on Mushin (the CBT server) come launch. The fact that the faction ratio is not ridiculously one sided like previous games (AION for example) will be a big help in creating and maintaining an active and competitive environment. I haven't been so serious about an MMO since WoW (started in Vanilla, dropped at mid WoD) and I'm planning on spending a lot of time with this game and our clan.

Good to hear. Looking forward to diving into it at early access. Not sure what I'll be playing yet since I didn't get a chance to play in the CBT but that should prove for an interesting time as well.

SDBurton

Good to hear. Looking forward to diving into it at early access. Not sure what I'll be playing yet since I didn't get a chance to play in the CBT but that should prove for an interesting time as well.

Awesome. We'll be here if you need anything.

Kitoro

I'm really interested in rolling both a Destroyer and a Blade Dancer, but I'm worried that they're both extremely similar in function. Am I right to worry, or are they actually quite different aside from specializing in crowd control?

Thanks!

Zand

Neo Member
So Mushin is going to be a packed server at release, are we going to be rolling there? The queue will most likely put off a lot of people who might want to join up. I think even with Premium there might be a small queue to deal with.

Any thoughts about starting on a different server? Everyone I know is split between Mushin and Pohwaran. =/

Always roll on the most populated server at MMO launches. Queues are temporary and most people figure out how to deal with those pretty quick. Only roll on a less populated server if you enjoy ded servers a month later until servers merge after a year.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
When does this go live again? And will it use the beta client or can I go ahead and delete that?

When does this go live again? And will it use the beta client or can I go ahead and delete that?

15th for early access, 18th(or is it 19th I forgot) for actual release. Beta client should be fine, they've said you should delete it but tbh I haven't seen a mmo where you actually had to delete it, they just tell that to people so there's no random issues. If you have good download speed though you can delete it and just redownload the client whenever they update it.

ShinMaruku

Always roll on the most populated server at MMO launches. Queues are temporary and most people figure out how to deal with those pretty quick. Only roll on a less populated server if you enjoy ded servers a month later until servers merge after a year.

This is why shared server tech is preferred it hides server merges and deals with server accretion.

SDBurton

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Kitoro

So, for the early access to character creation and name reservation, are we going to be pressured to speed through the character creation process in order to reserve our names and complete the creation?

I'd like to take my time creating both of my reserved characters, but not at the expense of losing the names I want for them by taking too long. >_<

It'd be nice if we could lock the names down first, then go into creation, but I fear that won't be the case.

Hastati

So, for the early access to character creation and name reservation, are we going to be pressured to speed through the character creation process in order to reserve our names and complete the creation?

I'd like to take my time creating both of my reserved characters, but not at the expense of losing the names I want for them by taking too long. >_<

It'd be nice if we could lock the names down first, then go into creation, but I fear that won't be the case.

The recent newsletter says we have to log in on the 11th, create the characters and then name them to reserve. Which doesn't work for me, since I'll be in Sapporo...really wish we could do it from our account page or through an email or something.

SDBurton

Yes I am.

Nice!

The final CBT was the recommended time to create a character you wanted to roll with on launch. You could always download the Japanese client of Blade & Soul and create your character there as it shares the same character folder as the NA client.

ShinMaruku

Seeing how some of the reaction to Wildstar, I have great hopes for support of this game.

I had a significant schadenfreude with that game failing.

Game client will apparently be available sometime tomorrow for download. You cannot patch the CBT client to launch client so just go ahead and delete it now.

SDBurton

Just a heads up, NCSoft had a stream earlier today detailing the uses of crafting, and more importantly, launch details. At the 31 minute mark they go over the extra options they added to character creation, among them being RED HAIR! They also added a number of new skin tones and hair cuts, which will further diversify the appearance of our player base even more. Get hyyyyyyype!

NeOak

I think I'll roll a default character to get the names I want and then use the vouchers.

My Jap client is on one SSD and I want to install the NA client in another SSD -.-

Vex_

Banned
So when does the official thread go up again? Headstart (15th?) Or regular launch day (19th?)

...So I can make it.

Kitoro

Nice!

The final CBT was the recommended time to create a character you wanted to roll with on launch. You could always download the Japanese client of Blade & Soul and create your character there as it shares the same character folder as the NA client.

So, you're saying I could download the Japanese client, create a character, and I can import that character customization data to the US client and save time?

artsi

I started playing the Japanese version. Too bad there's no controller support of any kind, but I like the cutscenes. I wish FFXIV had some more dynamic ones like in this.

I started playing the Japanese version. Too bad there's no controller support of any kind, but I like the cutscenes. I wish FFXIV had some more dynamic ones like in this.

Sure there is! Just plug in a Steam Controller and have at it. Worked perfectly with Guild Wars 2 for me after some minor setup.

artsi

Sure there is! Just plug in a Steam Controller and have at it. Worked perfectly with Guild Wars 2 for me after some minor setup.

Unfortunately I got just a DS4, but I might pick up the Steam Controller too at some point. I'm just so used to the great controller support FFXIV has but I'll go with M/KB for now.

SDBurton

So when does the official thread go up again? Headstart (15th?) Or regular launch day (19th?)

...So I can make it.

I'll be posting the OT on the 14th that evening, a day before headstart begins. Make sure you have the Webm for Neogaf plugin installed before it goes up! :D

Vex_

Banned

...wait. Why doesn't the jp version have GAMEPAD support? Wtf? Was it always like that?

I'll be posting the OT on the 14th that evening, a day before headstart begins. Make sure you have the Webm for Neogaf plugin installed before it goes up! :D

Lol sd, you're hilarious. XD

I thought I was gonna get away with it too :p

Baalzebup

Whahaha, just got a confirmation from the bossman that I can take the days off on the 15th and the 18th. Hit that headstart on full steam out of the gate.

Yam's

Tried the Taiwanese version and it ran real bad on my computer, which it shouldn't as I've got i7-5820 @ 3,3GHz with a GTX 980. So I don't know if this is another of those Korean mmo that it is poorly optimized or if there's something else wrong with my computer, but there's sadly no way I could play an action oriented mmo with FPS randomly dropping even on the lowest settings...

It's a shame 'cause it seems to do a lot of things that I could get into (mainly on the pvp side) and I almost bought a Founder pack. I'll most certainly try the EU version once it's out in case they optimized it a bit better for high end rigs, but I'm not very optimistic on that side.

mkenyon

Banned
Tried the Taiwanese version and it ran real bad on my computer, which it shouldn't as I've got i7-5820 @ 3,3GHz with a GTX 980. So I don't know if this is another of those Korean mmo that it is poorly optimized or if there's something else wrong with my computer, but there's sadly no way I could play an action oriented mmo with FPS randomly dropping even on the lowest settings...

It's a shame 'cause it seems to do a lot of things that I could get into (mainly on the pvp side) and I almost bought a Founder pack. I'll most certainly try the EU version once it's out in case they optimized it a bit better for high end rigs, but I'm not very optimistic on that side.
It's UE3 *and* an MMO. Only 3 of your 12 threads are being used. Overclocking to 4.0+ GHz should get your frame times down significantly.

Top Bottom