• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blazblue Continuum Shift EXTEND |OT| - Now with New Hat

It isn't arguing semantics when someone doesn't understand the basic definition of the word.

Anyway, I saw a really cool Platinum combo video yesterday. In fact, I'll not be a lazy jackass and find it.

Platinum Tossing Stuff Combos

The bomb combo at the end against Arakune especially is really cool.

MechaX

Kinda lost interested in playing over the past week or so. Still can't get past Boss Ragna with Hazama (and Hazama and Mu are really the only characters I like playing). Hell, this has made me develop a distaste for Ragna and his dial-a-combos. And from what I have been hearing, most of the online populace plays Ragna.

Fuck that.

Fugu

The term dial-a-combo is a little bit silly to me because the game is too fast for characters to have truly free-form combos. I mean, Litchi has them to an extent (any hitconfirm with the staff in the air will inherently involve some improvisation -- fear the player that can do this consistently) and I guess there's probably some element of that with some other characters. But most characters have combo routes based on the P1 of the move that starts the combo and the location of the characters on the screen; that isn't a phenomenon exclusive to Ragna and is a necessary component of any game that works at such a fast pace.

Having said that, I would hate the game if I played only against the computer. Don't even bother; there's literally nothing you can learn from playing against the computer.

Went online just now, hadn't touched the game in a week.

I think my net is getting worse and worse. And I have no idea why. I definitely shouldn't be playing randoms online in this, though.

El Sloth

Banned
Re-posting this in all the fighting game threads:

This seems like a good time to post that I just set up what I hope to be a FGC catch-all channel for GAF on IRC:

#gafilluminati (props to Stabby McSter for the name!)

on Dorksnet servers (irc.wiicafe.com, irc.gamecubecafe.com, irc.browsingtheinternet.com))

Mibbit link for those that don't have a chat program:
http://mibbit.com/?channel=#gafilluminati&server=irc.browsingtheinternet.com

I recommend downloading XChat or mIRC though.

It's pretty quiet right now, but it was only literally just made 20 minutes ago. Probably best used during streams, but come and talk about whatever the hell you guys want.

I was kinda busy between the pre and post Skullgirls release period, but I did have time to play a few dozen matches online recently and I'm still having fun. I'll definitely be playing this more often again.

Just request a game if you want to fight someone near the intermediate level.

Fugu

P4 probably isn't going to be good. It might be fun, but I've never seen anything from it that made me think good. It might be popular anyway, though.
Based on what? It looks like Guilty Gear but with less interesting characters.

Also, Tager's midscreen damage is something else.

Also, Tager's midscreen damage is something else.

If you are talking about the last question, it will popular because it is Persona and Atlus USA is pretty good at marketing, did KOF some good.

Maybe the first Guilty Gear.

I haven't seen much of the game, as I don't care about P4, and I haven't played it, so it's not like I'm condemning it to suck. I just don't see any real potential for it to be a good fighter.

If you know of some footage that would change my mind, feel free to show it off, though.

Fugu

It doesn't have an online pass as far as I know.

Maybe the first Guilty Gear.

I haven't seen much of the game, as I don't care about P4, and I haven't played it, so it's not like I'm condemning it to suck. I just don't see any real potential for it to be a good fighter.

If you know of some footage that would change my mind, feel free to show it off, though.
Based on what? Seriously, it seems completely arbitrary. It's a fighting game.

Fugu

You can't see potential for a good metagame or strong mechanics from gameplay videos. You are seeing the most superficial elements of the game in the trailers.

You can't see potential for a good metagame or strong mechanics from gameplay videos.

Why? I'm not just talking about trailers, though the trailers certainly don't leave me impressed, but actual matches being played. If you can't determine potential from seeing the game in action, where are you going to get it from?

Playing it. The game isn't out yet.

I already said my judgment wasn't final since I haven't played it, so now I don't see why you bothered to say anything about my comment in the first place.

Also, that doesn't answer the question of why you can't look at footage of the game to determine potential.

Fugu

I already said my judgment wasn't final since I haven't played it, so now I don't see why you bothered to say anything about my comment in the first place.

Also, that doesn't answer the question of why you can't look at footage of the game to determine potential.
Because it's like, a completely pointless argument to make. Your original statement was "P4 probably isn't going to be good", which is just inflammatory because you still haven't provided a reason.

Because it's like, a completely pointless argument to make.

If you're talking about answering why you can't look at game footage to determine potential, then no, I don't see how you can say it's pointless.

Your original statement was "P4 probably isn't going to be good", which is just inflammatory because you still haven't provided a reason.

So I'm realizing now that what you want is the criteria I used to come to my conclusion? Yea, not gonna happen. Considering I've stated that I've only seen a small amount of anything from the game, I'm not even sure why you think that I've spent any time analyzing the game.

~~~~~

Anyway, just saw this Platinum match. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEOIZ9zHWvs#t=2m47s

Makes me wanna find time to play the game again. After next week I should have more time, with school being out, so I'll be looking for people to beat me up play against online.

Can someone explain exactly what's happening at 5:01 with the pogo going through the burst? How does that work? It looks like the Plat was using 5C, then the Rachel burst, so why wasn't Plat blown back then? Was the pogo on reaction to seeing the Rachel burst or was it a bait?

Fugu

If you wonder why you're bad at BB, it might be because of thought processes like these where you just refuse to think about what you're doing.

EDIT: That's a bait. The burst just whiffs and there's no CH.

Better explanation: That's a really, really common place for people to burst because you're still on the ground and bursting in the air is always a poor idea. If his opponent didn't burst, it's still a reset, which is fine as Rachel lacks a really good reversal option or an easy way out of the corner. There is absolutely no way he inputted that on reaction, seeing as the reset depends on pogo already being in startup when the opponent inputs the burst; the reset is performed by cancelling 5C into pogo on the assumption that they will burst during or slightly after 5C. Pogo is fast and has lots of options on block so it's good for punishing potential bursts.

Fugu

Omniscythe has gotten significantly worse (comparatively) lately. I beat him a few weeks ago, which absolutely never would have happened in CS2.

alstein

It does feel like this game is dead, at least until CS3. I don't think it helps that the only folks left online are generally killers for the most part, so they scare new folks off.

Even online I can't find matches anymore, and it's an online community- it's easier to find matches in KOF.

Fugu

The game is perpetually in a state of "dead until the next revision comes out". It draws closer to just being dead every day.

Nyoro SF

I went through about four hours of Japanese BB footage yesterday and couldn't find a single Lambda-11 player. Is she really that bad now?

Fugu

I went through about four hours of Japanese BB footage yesterday and couldn't find a single Lambda-11 player. Is she really that bad now?
Lambda is great in this version. She is somewhat less effective at zoning now but she makes up for that with above-average damage and insane mobility.

So anyone hyped for f-evo?

I've been so out of the loop from fighting games that I don't even know anymore. I wanna go back to BB though, so I'll probably come back to it soon. Relius is too addicting. Although my backlog is calling out to me these days.

GO FINISH CHILD OF EDEN, SON.

Top Bottom