• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blazblue Continuum Shift EXTEND |OT| - Now with New Hat

Fugu

It was pretty damn laggy for me which sort of makes it hard for me to judge but the biggest thing I notice is that you're relying a lot on baiting people. Tsubaki is not a very good defensive character, and her good space-controlling specials don't change the fact that she can't poke for shit.

Also, stop charging in really dangerous spots, like next to the corner.

Fugu

I played against a really incredible Platinum a little while ago. Her corner damage is scary. 4k for no heat off of 2A? SCARY.

thundr51

Ok been playing for a while with Tsubaki and after looking at most of her combos I think I may have to pick someone else. For as long as I can remember I cant reliably do IADs...ever. Not even in practice. I tend to like rush down characters but if most of her good combos are going to be inaccessible I'd rather pick a new character. Ideas?

PSN: ThundR

Onemic

Ok been playing for a while with Tsubaki and after looking at most of her combos I think I may have to pick someone else. For as long as I can remember I cant reliably do IADs...ever. Not even in practice. I tend to like rush down characters but if most of her good combos are going to be inaccessible I'd rather pick a new character. Ideas?

Do you use a stick? IAD's are quite easy to do(at least to me) and I suck.

cj_iwakura

Most of the combos I do with her don't require IADs. All my favorite stuff is on the ground, namely 6C 4C(the spike that brings them up), j.C236C214C, etc. I'd be happy to show you some of her stuff next time I'm on. PSN: cj_iwakura

Onemic

REALLY BAD STARTER
5B[m] 2C[m] 6D Hatsu Haku Chuun 5B 6C(1) 4Kote j.B j.BCD falling j.C 66A

Im trying to learn this corner combo first as it seems like it would probably be the one I would use the most at first. However, it's confusing me. For the Hatsu Haku Chun, did you mean it as 236A, 236B, 236C or 236B, 236A, 236C because using the latter notation the 236A never connects because the dummy recovers before it can connect and using the former notation the dummy recovers before I can connect the 5B. Does the Hatsu need to be TK'd like in the good starter variation?

hao chi

Finally got an arcade stick, and while I'm still getting used to it, I can easily see why people say they're so helpful.

Time to get the hang of doing the few Litchi combos I had down on a pad and getting used to doing them on the stick.

Ken

Have you tried doing 9>6 for jump forward IAD? That helped me a lot compared to when I was doing 8>66.

Fugu

Are you using a stick? Also, most combos that require "IADs" don't actually need instant airdashes, and usually jumping and airdashing normally will suffice if you do it quickly enough.

Im trying to learn this corner combo first as it seems like it would probably be the one I would use the most at first. However, it's confusing me. For the Hatsu Haku Chun, did you mean it as 236A, 236B, 236C or 236B, 236A, 236C because using the latter notation the 236A never connects because the dummy recovers before it can connect and using the former notation the dummy recovers before I can connect the 5B. Does the Hatsu need to be TK'd like in the good starter variation?
Nope, it's Hatsu, Haku Chuun, as in 236B, 236A, 236C. There is a long time between the Hatsu and the Haku; it's almost a full second. I don't know if TKing it is possible but I don't do it as you only use TK Hatsu when the combo contains another Hatsu somewhere else; it's done to prevent the combo from prorating too much. In fact, if you TK the Hatsu in this combo and you hit them too high, you will probably not land in time to do the Haku, so I would just not TK it.

The medium starter combo is the one that I would estimate gets used the most in a match. Learning it will also get you most of the way to learning the good starter combo so I would learn that one early, too. However, it might not be a bad idea to learn the one you're doing first as it works off of *everything* and is super easy compared to even the medium starter combo.

Finally got an arcade stick, and while I'm still getting used to it, I can easily see why people say they're so helpful.

Time to get the hang of doing the few Litchi combos I had down on a pad and getting used to doing them on the stick.
Honestly, I find the advantage to using a stick to just be huge. Because the stick is so large, you can really feel what you're doing right and what you're doing wrong. It took me about an hour to transfer my pad skills to stick, too.

thundr51

Have you tried doing 9>6 for jump forward IAD? That helped me a lot compared to when I was doing 8>66.

Yep, been trying that I can get it sometimes in practice but never during a match.

Are you using a stick? Also, most combos that require "IADs" don't actually need instant airdashes, and usually jumping and airdashing normally will suffice if you do it quickly enough.

Yep, using the PS3 Fight stick. I also have the Sega VF stick (PS3) ,Tekken 6 stick (360) and 360 Fighting stick ex2.

hao chi

Honestly, I find the advantage to using a stick to just be huge. Because the stick is so large, you can really feel what you're doing right and what you're doing wrong. It took me about an hour to transfer my pad skills to stick, too.

Yeah, I really couldn't go back to a controller now. Love using a stick. IAD's are especially so easy now, whereas I could hardly ever get them on a pad.

I've actually mostly been slacking off on learning Blazblue recently because I've mostly been playing Persona 4 Arena, since I've been playing with someone else that's a beginner at it so we're kind of learning it together, but I was playing some Blazblue today and had a couple questions.

First, this is probably dumb, but what does TK mean? I've tried Googling it, looking at online move lists, and the in-game move list, and haven't been able to find it.

Also, for the Staffless: (5B) 6B 5C 2C 6C(1) short delay Chuun 2C 5C j.B dj.BC Hatsu Chuun combo, is the dj.BC supposed to be a diagonal jump? After the j.B it seems like there's too much distance between me and the opponent to grab them, even with a diagonal jump, and I'm not sure if I just need to be faster with the diagonal jump after the j.B, or if I'm misplacing or mistiming an earlier attack causing the combo to drop there.

I can get this combo in the corner though. :p

Fugu

Yeah, I really couldn't go back to a controller now. Love using a stick. IAD's are especially so easy now, whereas I could hardly ever get them on a pad.

I've actually mostly been slacking off on learning Blazblue recently because I've mostly been playing Persona 4 Arena, since I've been playing with someone else that's a beginner at it so we're kind of learning it together, but I was playing some Blazblue today and had a couple questions.

First, this is probably dumb, but what does TK mean? I've tried Googling it, looking at online move lists, and the in-game move list, and haven't been able to find it.

Also, for the Staffless: (5B) 6B 5C 2C 6C(1) short delay Chuun 2C 5C j.B dj.BC Hatsu Chuun combo, is the dj.BC supposed to be a diagonal jump? After the j.B it seems like there's too much distance between me and the opponent to grab them, even with a diagonal jump, and I'm not sure if I just need to be faster with the diagonal jump after the j.B, or if I'm misplacing or mistiming an earlier attack causing the combo to drop there.

I can get this combo in the corner though. :p
Oh dude, j.BC is not a grab. It's B THEN C; it's notated it that way to distinguish it from Jump - press B - Jump - Press C. You should go Jump - press B - double jump - press B then C. By the way, you will have to adjust the second jump based on a lot of factors, as it is often possible with a straight jump (8) and it is often not. It is safer to do a forward diagonal jump (9) every time for this specific combo, but the j.B dj.BC part is used in a lot of places, and doing a diagonal jump for that double jump in, for example, the corner BnB will sometimes cause the falling j.C that comes afterwards to drop.

TK stands for tiger knee. A TK input is a quarter circle and a jump all in one; a TK QCF C looks like 2369C. TK inputs are used when a move can be used in the air and needs to be used as close to the ground as possible. Litchi uses TK Hatsu to get slightly better corner damage off of her corner BnB. If you are struggling to do the TK Hatsu there, don't worry about it and use regular Hatsu; it literally only adds about thirty damage to a combo that does nearly 4000.

Having said that, Chuun and TK Chuun have completely different properties, and correctly inputting TK Chuuns is an important part to proper Litchi play. Ground Chuun is rather unsafe and not great to use for spacing, whereas TK Chuun is faster, hits in more useful places, can be combo'd off of for good damage (TK Chuun Medium Starter Combo is possible in the corner, gets like 3.3k), and knocks the opponent down differently. A common combo part for Litchi when very far from the corner is 5D Chuun Staff2 TK Chuun. A regular Chuun done both times will drop this combo very quickly.

hao chi

Oh dude, j.BC is not a grab. It's B THEN C; it's notated it that way to distinguish it from Jump - press B - Jump - Press C. You should go Jump - press B - double jump - press B then C. By the way, you will have to adjust the second jump based on a lot of factors, as it is often possible with a straight jump (8) and it is often not. It is safer to do a forward diagonal jump (9) every time for this specific combo, but the j.B dj.BC part is used in a lot of places, and doing a diagonal jump for that double jump in, for example, the corner BnB will sometimes cause the falling j.C that comes afterwards to drop.

TK stands for tiger knee. A TK input is a quarter circle and a jump all in one; a TK QCF C looks like 2369C. TK inputs are used when a move can be used in the air and needs to be used as close to the ground as possible. Litchi uses TK Hatsu to get slightly better corner damage off of her corner BnB. If you are struggling to do the TK Hatsu there, don't worry about it and use regular Hatsu; it literally only adds about thirty damage to a combo that does nearly 4000.

Having said that, Chuun and TK Chuun have completely different properties, and correctly inputting TK Chuuns is an important part to proper Litchi play. Ground Chuun is rather unsafe and not great to use for spacing, whereas TK Chuun is faster, hits in more useful places, can be combo'd off of for good damage (TK Chuun Medium Starter Combo is possible in the corner, gets like 3.3k), and knocks the opponent down differently. A common combo part for Litchi when very far from the corner is 5D Chuun Staff2 TK Chuun. A regular Chuun done both times will drop this combo very quickly.

Ooohh, okay, that makes way more sense. For future reference though, how would a grab be marked in a combo? Just by saying "grab"?

Thanks again for all the information and answering my noob questions.

Fugu

Ooohh, okay, that makes way more sense. For future reference though, how would a grab be marked in a combo? Just by saying "grab"?

Thanks again for all the information and answering my noob questions.
You will never grab in a combo except at the end as Taokaka. Grabs in combos will be purple throws, which are easy to tech and are essentially just handing your opponent the way out.

Combos starting with throws will be marked either 6throw, 4throw or AT.

Ken

Ok so I think I get most of the systems in BB but actually playing the game is a whole different thing. What should I know about playing BB coming from SFIV, P4A, and UMvC3?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ok so I think I get most of the systems in BB but actually playing the game is a whole different thing. What should I know about playing BB coming from SFIV, P4A, and UMvC3?

Don't always tech roll and barrier block to stop running so you can block right away.

Honestly if you played P4A already getting into the game shouldn't be that hard.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I only played Labrys though and got by on the huge hitbox on some of her attacks.

Play Ragna or Hakumen then :p

But honestly if you can play those other 3 games you should be able to adjust pretty fast to bb. Dont take all the system mechanics in at once and just work on a few things a day.

Fugu

If you play ranked, getting to level 50 is not hard. My Continuum Shift profile is at least level 75 and I'm getting close to 60 in CSEX. People who only play player matches level at a snail's pace so level is not a good metric of skill. The best way to get an idea of someone's skill is to look at their PSR and win percentage, both of which form a much better indicator of skill than level (assuming they ranked -- player matches are a crapshoot).

Fugu

Ragna is just a better version of Makoto in CSEX. The only thing Makoto has on Ragna is her projectile, which, while leading into truly outrageous amounts of damage (4k+? on CH) is slow and easy to block.

Ken

I'm so free to every character. I try to dash in for 2A or barrier block but everyone's normals hit so far out and then I eat like 2k damage.

I'd play Hakumen but I can't even get his BnBs down

(3) [starter] > Renka (1) > Kishuu, 2C > j.B > j.2A, AD j.B > j.A, 2C > j.B > j.2A, AD j.2A, j.C

everyone i like is low tier ;_;

Nyoro SF

I'm so free to every character. I try to dash in for 2A or barrier block but everyone's normals hit so far out and then I eat like 2k damage.

I'd play Hakumen but I can't even get his BnBs down

(3) [starter] > Renka (1) > Kishuu, 2C > j.B > j.2A, AD j.B > j.A, 2C > j.B > j.2A, AD j.2A, j.C

everyone i like is low tier ;_;

In BBCP, Hakumen's combos are a lot more straightforward. Should be better then. You'll be able to smack people around with that dashing hilt thrust of his and IOH with that air spike he has.

I don't know what any of Hakumen's moves are called

Fugu

I am pretty sure the "air spike" you are referring to is Tsubaki roll.

Hakumen is actually rather powerful in CSEX. His average damage is pretty high, his meter gain is... special and his tools work well.

Makoto has problems in CSEX. She's not unusable but she's probably one of the most difficult characters to win with due to her fundamental disadvantage against many characters (as well as just being generally outdone by Ragna).

I was thinking today about my ranked winnings versus the tier placement of Litchi. Came up with this:

CT - Low B/C(?) Tier - 64% Win
CS1 - S Tier - 75% Win
CS2 - High A Tier - 79% Win
CSEX - B Tier - 72% Win

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I think if CT played out longer Litchi would of ended up at the bottom of A tier. I mean there was 2 litchi's in top 4 at sbo. But no one in that version could really do much vs carl or arakune

Fugu

I miss old Arakune, he was so much fun.
CT Arakune was an abortion of balance.

I think if CT played out longer Litchi would of ended up at the bottom of A tier. I mean there was 2 litchi's in top 4 at sbo. But no one in that version could really do much vs carl or arakune
I agree that she was moving up. But the west never caught up to Japan and Litchi underperformed severely here.

Top Bottom