• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blazblue Continuum Shift EXTEND |OT| - Now with New Hat

RoeBear

Fugu next time you're available to play send me an invite or something so I know you're on. I really want to learn Carl and the only way I see it happening is if I play someone who will know how to beat him bad.

Fugu

I can probably play tomorrow/today (Monday). I'll post again in the thread if anyone else is interested.

I'm pretty comfortable against Carl; I ain't no Evo pro but I've played the matchup a lot. Learn your sandwich mixups and you'll win 90% of your games, though.

RoeBear

I can do the sandwich combos and I'm really good at doing the wall combos for like 4k dmg. It's the fact that I lose all confidence and sanity when in a match and just mash. one reason I want to play you since I know you're better than me and I won't feel bad about losing.

Busaiku

Hey guys, I'm gonna be doing online tournaments for Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +, BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend, and Persona 4 Arena.

Eligible for North American PS3 players only.

It'll be a swiss tournament, going on for about a month.
Signups end about 2 weeks from now (tournament begins same day).
Haven't completely ironed out everything, but that's the basic gist of it (wanted to get this in the thread now, since more people are probably checking it out post Evo and all).

Send me a PM if you want to sign up.
Include your PSN and the games you want to play.

There'll different prize for each game.

For Persona 4 Arena, the Persona 4 Arena Original Design Works
NukS7pg.jpg

For Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +, the Guilty Gear Original Sound Collection
U0SUkr6.jpg

For BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend, the Fraternity shirt from Brokentier

I'll make a thread next week, you can sign up there too, if you want, I guess.

Fugu

Hey guys, I'm gonna be doing online tournaments for Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +, BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend, and Persona 4 Arena.

Eligible for North American PS3 players only.

It'll be a swiss tournament, going on for about a month.
Signups end about 2 weeks from now (tournament begins same day).
Haven't completely ironed out everything, but that's the basic gist of it (wanted to get this in the thread now, since more people are probably checking it out post Evo and all).

Send me a PM if you want to sign up.
Include your PSN and the games you want to play.

There'll different prize for each game.

For Persona 4 Arena, the Persona 4 Arena Original Design Works

For Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +, the Guilty Gear Isuka Official Soundtrack

For BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend, the Fraternity shirt from Brokentier

I'll make a thread next week, you can sign up there too, if you want, I guess.
Well, seeing as I should have won GAF's last BB tournament (I'm still sitting in winner's finals waiting for my opponent to emerge from losers :lol) I will definitely be signing up for this.

solid mike

Who are importing Chrono Phantasma once it's out?

I know I won't because I don't have the luxury of importing but if GAF receives the import version well, I'm definitely getting the localized port next year.

RoeBear

For sure: Fugu
Might: Qistoptier
I will import if ApolloJoh does, he's not unless US release is far off.
No one else has really chimed in iirc.

Edit: You also have all the people that just don't play this anymore that might import it but don't look at this thread ever.

Fugu

I have imported every BB to date. I wouldn't recommend importing unless you have someone you can play against or are fine with training mode. You will not enjoy playing laggy matches with Japanese people for very long, trust me.

solid mike

Interesting. I don't really have any plans of importing. But I very much want to hear good reviews of CP so I can look forward to next year's release.

cj_iwakura

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted, but I play BB for the story just as much as the online, so I'll wait for Aksys most likely, failing a gorgeous JP-exclusive LE that's reasonably priced(yeah right).

RoeBear

Lies and slander

Well I guess it's a half truth. It's funny to see how easily I collapse in a match. I can hold my own fairly well against Q when he plays Mu, but when he starts just backing up and throwing out steins I seem to never block and just eat all the damage.

Fugu

Well I guess it's a half truth. It's funny to see how easily I collapse in a match. I can hold my own fairly well against Q when he plays Mu, but when he starts just backing up and throwing out steins I seem to never block and just eat all the damage.
If you want to play tonight in about an hour and a half from this post I would be interested in seeing this collapse.

RoeBear

I think it's even worse with Litchi since this one guy kept finding me and demolishing me...

Yeah I'll send you an invite when the time comes!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I noticed :lol

Fugu

I think it's even worse with Litchi since this one guy kept finding me and demolishing me...

Yeah I'll send you an invite when the time comes!
Sweet.

Carl is not an aggressive character. By playing Carl, you are betting your patience against your opponent's. Your neutral strategy should be oriented around fooling your opponent into making a mistake.

RoeBear

Stick with characters that work with your style then :D Unless you are trying to pick up new ones xD
I used to play Carl in CT trying to learn him for CP. I like Hazama but I'm pretty sure every one is going to use him online. Maybe I'll like Terumi and main him. I'm pretty indecisive.

ScOULaris

I'm thinking about getting into Blazblue, but I want to make sure I buy the best version. Should I get CS or CS Extend?

All I honestly care about is which version has the more active online multiplayer. I would assume that Extend would, given that it is the newest version, but I was under the impression that a lot of people passed on it because it was such a minor update.

Fugu

If you play during peak hours, finding a game is not hard. There are lobbies for my ping generally from 3PM to 1AM.

Ranked is mostly populated by pretty mediocre players now. If you are new to the game, you will probably not find Ranked as intimidating as lobby play.

RoeBear

Is Extend still very active online? Or is it KOF XIII levels of dead.

KOF has the problem of being a game with a horrible netcode. BB still has players because they can reliably have somewhat stable connections. As Fugu says most people I play against are probably NA players and are on around 6pm for me till 3am. Saw two "new players only" lobbies last night so if you want the game you could get it.

hao chi

Finally played some matches against a human player, since one of my friends got CSE today. I haven't really played much BB recently since I've mostly been playing P4A, so my scrubby Litchi was also rusty, but I had a lot of fun.

Time to start practicing BB again.

I'd like to import, but it'll depend on what the people I would play with are doing.

solid mike

I'm just afraid to buy CP because given how many Continuum Shifts they made, I feel like I'll be forced to get some DLC characters.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm just afraid to buy CP because given how many Continuum Shifts they made, I feel like I'll be forced to get some DLC characters.

There will be no DLC characters, Terumi is a pack in. Basically online pass status and they only made 2 CS that you had to actually buy with the second one coming out 2 years later CS2 was a free patch update.

hao chi

So what would be the best place to import from anyway? Play-Asia has CP for $68 with free shipping; any better deals out there?

FluxWaveZ

People like to say that P4A's online is dead, but it really isn't compared to BlazBlue. It's pretty hard to find matches online except for the same handful of people. Of course, it's even harder to find matches against fellow newbies, but that's to be expected.

RoeBear

People like to say that P4A's online is dead, but it really isn't compared to BlazBlue. It's pretty hard to find matches online except for the same handful of people. Of course, it's even harder to find matches against fellow newbies, but that's to be expected.
Blazblue is pretty bad. Finding a match especially early morning is pretty terrible, it's only Japanese players at that time. I don't think I've ever run into a newbie since I got the game, and that was last Christmas.

FluxWaveZ

You guys aren't looking hard enough. I play newbies every day.

How hard am I supposed to look when I go on "Custom Search" for Ranked Matches and practically no one shows up except for the same very small selection of people? I did, however, fight several newbies but I faced far more people who weren't.

A Player Match lobby for new players would be neat, but almost all of them in the menu are private matches and if they aren't they're either Japanese lobbies or people who've played a whole lot.

solid mike

There will be no DLC characters, Terumi is a pack in. Basically online pass status and they only made 2 CS that you had to actually buy with the second one coming out 2 years later CS2 was a free patch update.

So is it safe to assume they won't be making a sequel with hardly anything new a year later? I want to make sure my purchase of CP lasts.

Fugu

How hard am I supposed to look when I go on "Custom Search" for Ranked Matches and practically no one shows up except for the same very small selection of people? I did, however, fight several newbies but I faced far more people who weren't.

A Player Match lobby for new players would be neat, but almost all of them in the menu are private matches and if they aren't they're either Japanese lobbies or people who've played a whole lot.
Player matches have an option to flag your lobby as intended for newbies, which you should do. Most people take those flags seriously (well, they take the beginner flag seriously, anyway).

Custom Search (the menu item that produces a list, not the one that finds a match for you with criteria) doesn't work properly, especially if you use a ping filter. You can use it but it's given me a lot of trouble in the past.

I consider a newbie to be a player who has a PSR less than, like, 625 and has enough matches to have an accurate PSR, or someone who doesn't have enough matches to have an accurate PSR and has a win percentage below 50. If you've played a lot of matches and your PSR is below 625, you probably have some sort of fatal, exploitable flaw. I think the majority of players fit that criteria, at least in my area. If you happen to have a PSR in the low 600s, you should be able to do a custom match with the "similar PSR" filter on and find opponents. If it's anywhere below that you're unlikely to find anyone with that restriction on, so play more matches until it's above 600.

Honestly, online is only dead for the highest tier of players. My PSR is 740 and there are probably a dozen active players around my skill level with an acceptable ping to me, which is plenty as they tend to be fairly active. However, if I'm looking for a player in the 800 range, I won't find any (except maybe St1ckbug, who comes on once in a blue moon). Yes, the online is small enough that you're probably going to recognize all of your possible opponents if you play with any regularity, but it's not dead.

RoeBear

I guess a lot is more than I was thinking you meant. Either way I switch with too many characters on ranked so it wouldn't be really accurate anyway.

FluxWaveZ

Player matches have an option to flag your lobby as intended for newbies, which you should do. Most people take those flags seriously (well, they take the beginner flag seriously, anyway).

Custom Search (the menu item that produces a list, not the one that finds a match for you with criteria) doesn't work properly, especially if you use a ping filter. You can use it but it's given me a lot of trouble in the past.

I consider a newbie to be a player who has a PSR less than, like, 625 and has enough matches to have an accurate PSR, or someone who doesn't have enough matches to have an accurate PSR and has a win percentage below 50.

I haven't tried to host my own player matches lobby, but it certainly isn't easy to find one that isn't just for Japanese players, is full of advanced players or is set to private.

Well, if Custom Search doesn't work properly it doesn't work properly. I tried playing online for about 6 hours yesterday and from my experience: Quick Match was practically never successful and the only way I could ever find a match is by just doing Custom Search with no specifications and pressing on one of the names I've played before since those were the only people available.

And my definition of newbie is someone who hasn't played the game (online) before. That's who I am, so yours isn't what I'm talking about or helpful to me in any way.

And I didn't say that the online is dead, but that Persona 4 Arena's is way more active.

hao chi

Ugh, I need so much practice. I have some combos that I can do fine against the computer, but once I play online I can never get them for some reason, and usually end up just stringing together some combination of Haku, Hatsu, and Chuun to whatever hits I do get.

I'm loving this game though, and while I know she's not the easiest character, I'm glad I chose Litchi as my main. Having so much fun with her.

FluxWaveZ

I never realized how combo intensive this game was, especially in the corners, but it's become really apparent getting destroyed by higher level players. It's also a pain to have to mash in order to tech as opposed to holding a button down, which I'm glad they're changing in Chronophantasma.

And, like I always inadvertently do, I decided to main who I later discovered to be a rather technical character in Mu-12. At least I feel like I'm improving.

Top Bottom