• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

Quick question and sorry if its been asked/answered already but are you able to change which version your playing so you can go back to try the old missions?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
luka said:
Especially after ogling KOFXIII videos for the past year. :p

*furious nod* I never thought it would be possible for my mind to even begin to think "Maybe MK9 Animates better...?" VS a native 2D game (X_X) I dunno if I'm impressed that MK moves well enough for me to think that, or mad at Aksys for ever ALLOWING animation "plain" enough for me to think that!

SephirothRK said:

*Witnesses the Tsubaki stupidity*
abesimpson.gif

Edit: Version 1.03 US launch Trailer? (Don't think I saw it here?)
http://youtu.be/YyrnATF5hN8?hd=1

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ugh, what have they done to Litchi? Nothing works anymore.

I can understand increasing the pro-ration and changing some of her moveset. Hell, I can even understand not being able to combo into Itsuu. But having opponents be able to emergency roll out of sweeps? Opponent's immediately recovery after Tsubame?

Her basic CT combos don't even work anymore.

GuardianE said:

I can understand increasing the pro-ration and changing some of her moveset. Hell, I can even understand not being able to combo into Itsuu. But having opponents be able to emergency roll out of sweeps? Opponent's immediately recovery after Tsubame?

EVERYTHING has changed

El Sloth

Banned
How has Arakune changed from from CS to CS2?

Sorry if this has been answered already. I don't really keep up with this game all that much.

El Sloth said:
How has Arakune changed from from CS to CS2?

Sorry if this has been answered already. I don't really keep up with this game all that much.

I think his bug meter goes down faster and the one that annoys me the most is f(g) is instant curse.

edit: Here's the full changes from http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?10719-BBCSII-Arakune-s-General-Discussion-Thread

Buffs

* f.g (homes in, comboable, 100% curse)
* *You could be able to backdash it, but it's strict
* Forward dash is faster
* 6c, derivative 5c, derivative 2c, grab and air grab all do more damage
* j.b has less knockback (easier to combo with I assume)
* 2a > 5a, 5a > 2a gatlings
* 5a's increased attack level
* 5a's hitbox can hit crouching opponents
* j.a's increased attack level
* 5b > 6b gatling
* D bug hits Mu on the way up
* 6a is air unblockable
* 6b is air unblockable

Nerfs

* Dive, j.236c, 6c rekka, 5c and 2c all have repeat move penalty.
* 5f jump
* 2c and 5c Fatal counter combos. (what is nerfed about this?)
* Slower back dash (you can see and 5a it)
* Corner Teleport (j.44 in corner) is much slower (like 3 times slower)
* Command Teleports are slower
* 2f landing recovery after air grab (Thanks Hiago)
* Curse time seems to drain faster than CS1 when Arakune is taking damage (Daifunka drains a lot of Curse meter, Makoto corner combo drains 90% curse meter)
* 6a is slower
* 5a, 5c, and dive all do 1 point less damage(confirm?)
* Cloud only lasts 6 seconds, more start up (Hiago: he can use cloud right after his beam super)
* j.c's *startup (thanks hiago) is slower
* j.b is weaker.
* f.g hits low.
* All bugs seem slower (except D bug)

Indifferent changes

* D bug descends faster (but it gets less hits in, less hitstop)
* C bug > D bug is harder (nothing specific is stated, probably related to D bug's speed)
* Old 6b is 4b
* Party bug is summoned further away (falls faster)
* (5a >) 6b is now standalone 6b (start up is fast)
* Combo rate is now 80%

El Sloth

Banned
Thanks! The troll meter going down faster is unfortunate. Corner teleport being slower really sucks. Slower bugs makes me sad. Is Aksys trying to force me to learn how to play this game properly? D:

F of g being homing in and being instant curse sounds pretty cool though.

ApolloJoh

GuardianE said:
Opponent's immediately recovery after Tsubame?

I'm pretty sure you can still combo off of it as a starter in but the timing's strict as it was in CS1 but you can actually get good damage from it.

I'd find a video but I'm on the iPhone right now, haha.

El Sloth said:
Thanks! The troll meter going down faster is unfortunate. Corner teleport being slower really sucks. Slower bugs makes me sad. Is Aksys trying to force me to learn how to play this game properly? D:

F of g being homing in and being instant curse sounds pretty cool though.

Still looks like the best character in the game. f(g) being instant curse is stupid D:

El Sloth

Banned
Prototype-03 said:
Still looks like the best character in the game. f(g) being instant curse is stupid D:
I'll more than likely rarely get a chance to land it though. I really should learn how to play this game properly and stop relying on Kune's gimmicks. I've got no one to play with locally though so it doesn't seem worth it.

I thought Litchi was considered the best character in the game(In CS I mean)?

El Sloth said:
I'll more than likely rarely get a chance to land it though. I really should learn how to play this game properly and stop relying on Kune's gimmicks. I've got no one to play with locally though so it doesn't seem worth it.

I thought Litchi was considered the character in the game(In CS I mean)?

In CS, she was definitely top 3, but looks like she's mid-upper in CS2. I believe in CS2, it's Arakune and Mak who are top tier. Valkenhayn/Noel/Tsubaki are upper tier.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
ApolloJoh said:
I'm pretty sure you can still combo off of it as a starter in but the timing's strict as it was in CS1 but you can actually get good damage from it.

I'd find a video but I'm on the iPhone right now, haha.

Ah, thanks. I'm making pre-mature judgments, I know. It's just intimidating that nothing I used to do works anymore, or even bootleg versions of those things. I need to completely relearn her from the very beginning.

Fugu

GuardianE said:

They've improved Litchi, that's what they've done to her. She's a more interesting character now that you're not always hitconfirming into the same combo and she's still potent at what she does (I would argue that while her damage has gone down, her pressure has gotten much better).

EDIT: Tsubame is also now useful as an ender on her midscreen combos when going for damage instead of mixup (the mixup is still pretty decent but not as strong); 5B[m] 5C[m](2) 3C[m] Tsubame yeilds like 2.4k but doesn't leave you with too many options unless your opponent neutral techs or roll techs backwards; compare to 5B[m] 5C[m](2) 3C[m] [D] (IAD j.C ]D[ blah blah blah)

It's interesting that you bring up Tsubame Gaeshi, because in terms of its potency as a combo move it is vastly improved from CS. Here's two things to try to see what I mean.

3C[m] (Very close) Tsubame 6C(1) 6kote Hatsu Riichi A Ippatsu A etc. (distance from the corner determines rest of the combo, at least 3.5k midscreen)

Tsubame* 6C(1) 6Kote Hatsu Riichi A Ippatsu A etc. (same as above, 4k midscreen is typical).

*This opener only works when the first part of Tsubame Gaeshi hits but the second doesn't, which confines it to when your opponent is somewhat in the air, some plain hits (rare), and most counter hits. However, as you can see, a close hit with 3C[m] will always produce this situation and subsequently allow you to use the opener; it's situational though (as a far hit with 3C[m] will either not connect with the DP at all or will connect both hits and not allow you to combo any further).

I'm not sure what moves you're referring to as sweeps; 3C[m] and 2B maybe? Because 3C[m] has combo potential similar to what it did in CS1 (see above) and 2B was always a bad move that is now actually a little bit better than it was in CS1 due to the increased viability and necessity of her staffless pressure (2D crossup 2B).

It's also worth noting that if you land a plain hit Itsuu it's godlike damage; I haven't seen much with Itsuu B but I can pick up more damage midscreen on Itsuu A than I can on anything else, which is good because that's arguably the most useful one anyway. They're also better to use neutral than they were in CS1 because you get both hits on block, meaning that a successful hit will leave you more or less neutral even if it's blocked (again, Itsuu B is sort of the exception to this simply due to how slow it is).

Prototype-03 said:
In CS, she was definitely top 3, but looks like she's mid-upper in CS2. I believe in CS2, it's Arakune and Mak who are top tier. Valkenhayn/Noel/Tsubaki are upper tier.
The latest tier list has Litchi in the upper half of B tier. I think she may be poised to go up after SBO though, considering her current representation in the SBO qualified players. Having said that, the first SBO with CT had 3(?) of the top 8 playing Litchi and then subsequently saw all of them lose.

The BBS said:
Read ApolloJoh's post
Not sure if current.

Another EDIT: Litchi's CT combos, for the most part, didn't work in CS1 either (5B[m] 5C[m](2) 3C[m] [D] IAD ]D[ didn't connect due to 3C[m] not releasing the staff, for example, and basically every combo involving TG stopped working).

Pirabear

Banned
Kind of a dumb question, but are Platinum's "personalities" region based? Watched a crap ton of gameplay vids and streams and it seems like she always has the loli voice in Japanese and a boy voice in English.

ApolloJoh

I think this is the most current:

TITANIUM BEAST!!! from Dustloop said:
Latest CS2 ranking list from June issue of Arcadia:

S: Makoto, Jin, Noel, Hazama
A: Valkenhayn, Taokaka, Rachel, Arakune, Carl, Tsubaki
B: Mu, Platinum, Ragna, Bang, Litchi, Hakumen, Lambda
C: Tager

Fugu

Yes, thank you, that's the one I was looking for. However I don't recall them bumping Tager down to C. Not entirely surprising but disappointing nonetheless.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Fugu said:
They've improved Litchi, that's what they've done to her. She's a more interesting character now that you're not always hitconfirming into the same combo and she's still potent at what she does (I would argue that while her damage has gone down, her pressure has gotten much better).

EDIT: Tsubame is also now useful as an ender on her midscreen combos when going for damage instead of mixup (the mixup is still pretty decent but not as strong); 5B[m] 5C[m](2) 3C[m] Tsubame yeilds like 2.4k but doesn't leave you with too many options unless your opponent neutral techs or roll techs backwards; compare to 5B[m] 5C[m](2) 3C[m] [D] (IAD j.C ]D[ blah blah blah)

It's interesting that you bring up Tsubame Gaeshi, because in terms of its potency as a combo move it is vastly improved from CS. Here's two things to try to see what I mean.

3C[m] (Very close) Tsubame 6C(1) 6kote Hatsu Riichi A Ippatsu A etc. (distance from the corner determines rest of the combo, at least 3.5k midscreen)

Tsubame* 6C(1) 6Kote Hatsu Riichi A Ippatsu A etc. (same as above, 4k midscreen is typical).

*This opener only works when the first part of Tsubame Gaeshi hits but the second doesn't, which confines it to when your opponent is somewhat in the air, some plain hits (rare), and most counter hits. However, as you can see, a close hit with 3C[m] will always produce this situation and subsequently allow you to use the opener; it's situational though (as a far hit with 3C[m] will either not connect with the DP at all or will connect both hits and not allow you to combo any further).

I'm not sure what moves you're referring to as sweeps; 3C[m] and 2B maybe? Because 3C[m] has combo potential similar to what it did in CS1 (see above) and 2B was always a bad move that is now actually a little bit better than it was in CS1 due to the increased viability and necessity of her staffless pressure (2D crossup 2B).

It's also worth noting that if you land a plain hit Itsuu it's godlike damage; I haven't seen much with Itsuu B but I can pick up more damage midscreen on Itsuu A than I can on anything else, which is good because that's arguably the most useful one anyway. They're also better to use neutral than they were in CS1 because you get both hits on block, meaning that a successful hit will leave you more or less neutral even if it's blocked (again, Itsuu B is sort of the exception to this simply due to how slow it is).

Another EDIT: Litchi's CT combos, for the most part, didn't work in CS1 either (5B[m] 5C[m](2) 3C[m] [D] IAD ]D[ didn't connect due to 3C[m] not releasing the staff, for example, and basically every combo involving TG stopped working).

Thanks for the info. I didn't have a chance to spend a whole lot of time with her last night, and I simply didn't have a good grasp of how to approach things with her... and her challenges were largely unhelpful in that respect.

I checked Dustloop this morning for some basic bnbs... most of them seem to be off of throws and crossup 2Ds. Her new 6C[m] is interesting, but I'm just not sure how good it is, even with the iad after. It just seems so limited. I'm more of a visual learner in fighting games, so maybe if I look for some Litchi combo videos it'll help me understand what options she now has.

By sweeps, I did mean 3C or 3C[m]. I know you can cancel into Tsubame, but I'm used to being able to OTG from 3C which is no longer possible.

ShaneB

ApolloJoh said:

Latest CS2 ranking list from June issue of Arcadia:

S: Makoto, Jin, Noel, Hazama
A: Valkenhayn, Taokaka, Rachel, Arakune, Carl, Tsubaki
B: Mu, Platinum, Ragna, Bang, Litchi, Hakumen, Lambda
C: Tager

Hmmmm... maybe I will have to learn Jin than, he was the first one I checked out when I first played the game, before moving around to seeing what else I liked.

Maybe I'm too indecisive.

ShaneB said:
Hmmmm... maybe I will have to learn Jin than, he was the first one I checked out when I first played the game, before moving around to seeing what else I liked.

main random select and call it a day :)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
ShaneB said:

Maybe it's just me, but not many characters in BlazBlue will instantly click or feel natural. You have to commit yourself to learning one. None of them control like the others, so moving around won't give you a good idea of the ultimate playstyle that suits that character. Looking up videos, impressions, or evaluating the character type helps me decide.

Fugu

GuardianE said:
Thanks for the info. I didn't have a chance to spend a whole lot of time with her last night, and I simply didn't have a good grasp of how to approach things with her... and her challenges were largely unhelpful in that respect.

I checked Dustloop this morning for some basic bnbs... most of them seem to be off of throws and crossup 2Ds. Her new 6C[m] is interesting, but I'm just not sure how good it is, even with the iad after. It just seems so limited. I'm more of a visual learner in fighting games, so maybe if I look for some Litchi combo videos it'll help me understand what options she now has.

By sweeps, I did mean 3C or 3C[m]. I know you can cancel into Tsubame, but I'm used to being able to OTG from 3C which is no longer possible.
6C[m] is great for controlling the space and because it gatlings from 6B[m] you can use it to score CHs pretty easily, such as by not following up every time. It is infinitely more useful than CS1 6C[m], which was infinitely more useful than CT's 6C[m].

The throw BnBs are frequently mentioned because they're fundamentally the same as CS1 combos. Other than that, Dustloop's Litchi information is spotty (LK doesn't have the game yet) but she does have regular BnBs. Midscreen you're mostly just talking 5B[m] 5C[m](2) 3C[m] (with openers and enders according to the circumstances) unless you're staffless.

The j.2D stuff is mentioned a lot because it's much better damage than most of her other stuff midscreen and is pretty easy to set up. I'm doing...

j.2D(2) 6C(1) 4Kote 2C/5B Hatsu Ippatsu B (very cool.) Hatsu Haku Chuun 5B j.B delay j.C j.B 6C(2)

I don't know what to do after that, but it does pretty decent damage. I think this combo is on dustloop verbatim though, I don't know where else I would have got it from. There's also good stuff to learn for 4D corner (midscreen is tough, sometimes you can connect haku and most of the time you can connect IAD Chuun) and 5B[m] 2C[m] 6D leads to huge damage if you're really close.

ShaneB

GuardianE said:
Maybe it's just me, but not many characters in BlazBlue will instantly click or feel natural. You have to commit yourself to learning one. None of them control like the others, so moving around won't give you a good idea of the ultimate playstyle that suits that character. Looking up videos, impressions, or evaluating the character type helps me decide.

The game is completely new to me, and pretty foreign still, so it is taking a while to get to use the mechanics of it all. Knowing it's such a combo heavy game is what is taking a bit of getting use to. Like to think I've got a grasp on fighting game concepts from playing Street Fighter so much over the years, but it's a lot more going on in this.

Plus I haven't had much time to play lately, so it's just been little by little, at least with the new patch more people on a level playing field figuring new things out.

It's all good. Have said the more I play the more I enjoy it :)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
ApolloJoh said:
Ok, who should I use next? Anyone want a character to be S tier just ask me to use them in this current version they will be S rank in the next game!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow Tager is still the worst in the game? Jesus. I didn't realize the CS2 patch was out but I guess I'll try it out and continue repping the shit tier. ;_;

Fugu

I don't want Lambda to be S again. I felt that they struck a nice balance with her in CS and she was a very unpleasant foe in CT.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Fugu said:
I don't want Lambda to be S again. I felt that they struck a nice balance with her in CS and she was a very unpleasant foe in CT.
Psh she was cake compared to arakune and rachel, jumping and blocking shut most of her shit down

Fugu

QisTopTier said:
Psh she was cake compared to arakune and rachel, jumping and blocking shut most of her shit down
I found Rachel to be more manageable than Nu despite Rachel having a statistically more significant advantage. It's actually kind of disheartening to hear that Lambda isn't great in CS2, though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow, tager's normal throw has CRAZY bounce on it now, that really threw me off. I tried going through his challenges to see if it showed me anything new and I see that his challenge 9 is apparently broken? It's actually hilarious, the demonstration you watch shows the combo get dropped.

Papercuts said:
Wow, tager's normal throw has CRAZY bounce on it now, that really threw me off. I tried going through his challenges to see if it showed me anything new and I see that his challenge 9 is apparently broken? It's actually hilarious, the demonstration you watch shows the combo get dropped.
Haha, yeah. Apparently magnetism is borked there.

Fugu

I hear the patch is out for the JP PS3 version, which makes me happy and sad because that's what I've got and it's so far away.

Top Bottom