• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II |OT| The Sequel Blue Me Away

Fugu

DY_nasty said:
It may not be a big deal for everyone else, but as Lambda hitboxes are kind of a big deal. I only got to play against two tonight, but trying to hit Valk in the middle of an attack usually ended in a doomsday whiff and his Wolf mode just destroy ate up my spacing.

Think its just a getting used to the matchup thing. I don't mind his damage output that much (I'm used to getting dropped in 2 combos with Lambda anyways), but the way he's off the ground but not quite in the air just threw me off.
Hitboxes are a big deal to Lambda?

Are you aware of how absolutely ridiculous Lambda's hitboxes are?

h3ro

remz said:
Heard on another board that Valk is on sale till Jan 10th (!) and all BB DLC is going on sale from the 20th(!!) to the 10th

woo

Could you link where you read that?

I want to get into CS, had been waiting for Valk to get released. I haven't touched a fighting game in months and I have GT5 consuming me right now. I'll pick up the DLC if its reasonably priced though, 320pts for Valk works.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Fugu said:
Hitboxes are a big deal to Lambda?

Are you aware of how absolutely ridiculous Lambda's hitboxes are?
They're a big deal because everyone bounces the same and it leads to each matchup having different timings on even basic combos. I can set a pretty effective distance against a standing Hazama with 6D, but 6D almost never connects with Noel and the distance is bit different with Jin. Off wall bounce, I can do things to Tao that I'd never get away with on Makoto. Rachel can just decide to be a wildcard...

The timings for all of Lambda's combos switch depending on characters. Its not huge, but it does take a conscious effort to remember that you can't (off wall bounce) 6D > 2D > Crescent TK Tsubaki - it HAS to be 2D or your face will get melted.

I'm aware that Lambda is hard to hit, but most characters' combos stay the same after hit confirm - they don't need to bait counter-hits from 2/3 screen though.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Grr, I just bought the game, found out that Unlimited characters are unlocked through playing Score Attack, so I decided to start with that and get it out of the way.

But dammit, the CPU is cheap as hell! are they supposed to be this challenging or do I flatly suck at this game? is this some kind of ploy to force people to pay for the DLC?

Actually, I think it might work, I'm /this/ close to paying for the key. Unless some of you have a better piece of advice :\

Is it worth it or not?

Same goes for the DLC characters, worth it or not?

I'm loving everything about this besides this issue, btw.

Jinfash said:
Grr, I just bought the game, found out that Unlimited characters are unlocked through playing Score Attack, so I decided to start with that and get it out of the way.

But dammit, the CPU is cheap as hell! are they supposed to be this challenging or do I flatly suck at this game? is this some kind of ploy to force people to pay for the DLC?

Actually, I think it might work, I'm /this/ close to paying for the key. Unless some of you have a better piece of advice :\

Is it worth it or not?

I'm loving everything about this besides this issue, btw.
Yeah it's purposely really challenging. If you have a 2nd controller press start on it right before you die so you can interrupt the match and then try again. There might be ways to exploit the game's AI too. They seem to always get hit by Jin's projectiles.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
_dementia said:
Yeah it's purposely really challenging. If you have a 2nd controller press start on it right before you die so you can interrupt the match and then try again. There might be ways to exploit the game's AI too. They seem to always get hit by Jin's projectiles.
Ah, thanks for the tip.

What are your thoughts about the DLC characters? are they worth it even though they have the same game-mode limits as the Unlimited characters?

DY_nasty

Score Attack is a bitch. Played Unlimited Haxama once and I was just like fuck it.
Jinfash said:
Ah, thanks for the tip.

What are your thoughts about the DLC characters? are they worth it even though they have the same game-mode limits as the Unlimited characters?
Each of the DLC characters has been a great addition to the cast. IMO, they're worth it in a game like Blazblue because every character is unique.

Fugu

DY_nasty said:
They're a big deal because everyone bounces the same and it leads to each matchup having different timings on even basic combos. I can set a pretty effective distance against a standing Hazama with 6D, but 6D almost never connects with Noel and the distance is bit different with Jin. Off wall bounce, I can do things to Tao that I'd never get away with on Makoto. Rachel can just decide to be a wildcard...

The timings for all of Lambda's combos switch depending on characters. Its not huge, but it does take a conscious effort to remember that you can't (off wall bounce) 6D > 2D > Crescent TK Tsubaki - it HAS to be 2D or your face will get melted.

I'm aware that Lambda is hard to hit, but most characters' combos stay the same after hit confirm - they don't need to bait counter-hits from 2/3 screen though.
I can't actually think of a single Litchi combo that functions normally on Lambda/Mu.

Most 5B[m] 2C[m] setups drop on the staff2 hit and outside of the corner you have to use a completely different combo (even the Carl variants don't work) or else you drop the combo in a really awkward spot (with no staff and no tech chase); inside the corner you have to do a special variation of the itsuu loop that's a real pain in the ass to do. Anything involving a TK Chuun doesn't work because either the TK Chuun will whiff or the 2C that follows it will. 4D combos only work next to the corner and the Lambda variants do like 2.5k max. Air throw combos with the staff require a dash kote/dash haku that they don't normally, as well as just generally being more difficult to time. Most 2c[m] pickups will either whiff or cross up the wrong way on Riichi A, as well as with any other pickup that is basically just a 2c[m] pickup (like CH j.C[m] 2c[m]). Lambda is also one of the many characters that doesn't get hit by 5C OTG which greatly limits her staffless damage.

I think the amount of characters who have to be conscious of the size of their opponent are in the majority in BlazBlue, with Lambda and Litchi being some of the worst for character-specific combos (although Litchi was worse in CT).

DY_nasty

One thing that I'm glad that they're addressing in CS2 is Lambda's 4B - I love to throw it into blockstrings for shenanigans and such, but the positioning for the thing is just a bitch. If you're too deep they'll pop almost behind you and if you're too far out the 2nd hit can miss or they'll be so far out that you'll end up having to give up on the 2nd jump in the air combo.

If they're going to force you to keep your ass hanging out on 5D blocks/whiffs, they'd better beef up everything else... (give me back my godbackdash damnit)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Makoto has some weird character specific stuff too. I think one of the worst offenders of character specific combos was CT Bang though my god it was freaking annoying.

Jinfash said:

DLC chars are definitely worth if you think they fit your style. Makoto doesn't really fit me but Valkenhayn's been my main ever since he came out.

The thing is that all the characters are different from each other. It's not like in SF4, where if you learn a char, you can do decently with the other chars. In BB, if you learn one char, there's almost no guarantee that you'll do well with another.

I've learned some basics with Ragna, Tager and Bang, have mained Tsubaki and Rachel, and currently main Valkenhayn... I can certainly tell you that I CANNOT play Hazama/Carl/Taokaka. I've tried it out yesterday. It was pretty ugly.

Just make sure you pick up the character you want and not the "easiest" character to learn.

QisTopTier said:
Makoto has some weird character specific stuff too. I think one of the worst offenders of character specific combos was CT Bang though my god it was freaking annoying.

Rachel had a few in CT as well... Although more than anything, it was "these combos do more damage on x chars" than "you cannot do the basics on all chars."

DY_nasty

I'm comfortable with the fact that I'll never play with Carl again.

Tried him once. Naw bruh.

Fugu

Prototype-03 said:
The thing is that all the characters are different from each other. It's not like in SF4, where if you learn a char, you can do decently with the other chars. In BB, if you learn one char, there's almost no guarantee that you'll do well with another.
This is a strong characteristic of BlazBlue. As anyone who plays me well knows, I absolutely only play as Litchi. This is largely because I cannot play as anyone else; all I have with any other character is my fundamental knowledge; the character specific traits are such a major factor that my knowledge with Litchi doesn't get me anywhere.

Steaks

CS2 is out, people are talking about it on BBS but due to the nature of them posting on cell phones, concrete info prolly won't come in for a few hours.

Apparently Platinum DLC is in spring.

xero273

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/show...uum-Shift-II-Changes-NON-HELPFUL-POST-TEMPBAN

Carl
+ 6A is way easier to use, invincibility feels really long.
- Throw damage nerf? Forward throw, j2C, jB, 2D, 5C, volante, j2C allecan, 5C, jB, jC, 2D does about 2500
- Cantata's startup is slower
-Nirvana's gauge has no change to consumption. However Nirvana seems to lose a lot more gauge when hit by opponents and takes a lot more time to recover once broke. Red effect on Nirvana when she gets hit.
o Nirvana's gauge consumption speed is not that bad (altough if she dies it takes indeed some time for her to regenerate)
o Jump feels somewhat unconfortable?+ Easier to continue combo after 2hit 8D
o Basic solo Carl air combo now : anything into cantabile, C, jB, j2C, jB, jC, jB, allegretto
o JC knocks down, but the opponent falls at about the same speed as Carl.
o B vivace same
o Bounce after j2C is really high, so high that even after j2C being guarded Tager was able to catch Carl with atomic collider.
o jB fatal counter is indeed gone but jB counter is now close to being air untechable. Carl can pick the opponent up if he lands first or continue offense hitting with nirvana's 3D.
? Since there are few occasions to land 3C counter it can't be used much (an above poster however said that 3C > cantata still works). It's basically useful for pseudo unblockables with nirvana's 2D.

Lambda
+ j.C and j.2C's damage increased.
+ If you are hit while in Gravity's startup frames, the gauge does not disappear.
+ "Corner throw > 5C > 6C > Spike Chaser > 5C > 6C > 236C > 6A > 6C > 2DD > Aerial combo" is possible, deals around 3000 damage.
+ "236C > 5C > Gravity > 2DD > Crescent > 6A > 6C > 236C > Aerial combo" is possible.
+ Gravity is now a Fatal Counter.
+ "FC Gravity > 5C > 6C > 236C" is possible.
- "236C > 5C > Gravity > 2DD > Crescent > 5D..." cannot be done anymore.
- Crescent Loop can be done for 3~4 reps max.
o From 5A anti air, you can deal about 2400 damage.
o 6C does not wallbound.
o 5C > 6C loop looks possible, but it may not be.

Makoto
+ 214A~B looks as fast as Noel's Assault Through.
+ 214B/C~D's charging speed is surprisingly fast.
+ Makoto's 3C hit has a increased hitbox, she could go under Comet Cannon.
- j.2C can't be jump cancelled any longer.
- Makoto's hitbox when doing 3C is bigger, but she could go under Comet cannon.
- "3C > 2C > 2D > Comet Cannon" is possible on some characters, but not all of them.
- Comet Cannon's startup is slower.
- 5D > 2D > j.D > 236A~D can't be done.
- 2A feels a bit slower.
o After reaching its maxium height, Asteroid Vision B and C feels like deacelerating while falling down. (After that, something about Asteroid C being like j.2C, couldn't comprehend really well)
o 2B follow-up's timing after airthrow is looking a little slower.
o Perhaps Comet Cannon's hitbox is bigger now.
o "623C RC > 214C~D (LV3) > 236A~D (LV3) > 214B~D (LV3)" looks all faster than before. After Asteroid B, it seems like there is not enough time for you to use 236A~D again. (Corner only?)

Mu-12
+ 3C Now it's jump cancelable.
+ 2B > 2C has been added.
+ Ame no Habaya deals 5 hits, can be followed-up.
- Omohikane minimum damage decreased to around 1100.
- Throw follow-up combo dealing around 1800 instead of 2800.
・j.2C Looks like there's some recovery after she reaches ground.
o (Something about enemies falling faster after an air hit, please someone translate this for me.)
o Corner combo should be "6B > 63214C > 6A > j.2C loop"
o Her loop apparently remains the same.
o 2B can't be used for relaunch, but Furu no Tsurugi is fast so it can be used as follow-up.

Noel
+ "5A > 6A > 6C > Astral Heat" and "5D > 6A > 6C > Astral Heat" are possible.
+ If you RC her back throw, you should be able to follow it up with j.D
- Her 5A and 5B can't hit Makoto's 3C.
o Fenrir's damage with 18 successful hits is around 2700. The last hit's minimum damage should be 1000.
o Her throw's recovery has been increased? You can follow-u her throw with Haida, but the timing is a little weird.
o Bullet Rain > Fenrir deals around 3300.
o You can deal about 6100 damage off 4D FC in corner.

Tager:
+ 6A, retains the properties from loketests so far, armor,
+ J.C>j.b works on hazama, litchi, valk, and hazama.
- 6A loses jump cancel property.
o Charge is 214D
o 2C has not gatling besides into 3C
o GETB has changed magnetism properties (unsure).

and we have info. Changes so far.

Steaks

After talking to someone:
Tager sounds stupid. Like, as a person who plays Tager competitively he sounds TOO stupid.

xero273

_dementia said:
You're being too cryptic. Stupid in a good way?

take a look at this. irc logs from the dustloop thread. At least Rachel is back to being good.

[07:35][07:36] <jiyuphone> Ragna new bnb is.... DEAD SPIKE LOOPS!?

[07:39] <jiyuphone> Fatal Counter blood kain combos doing 4500 damage

[08:00] <jiyuphone> Tager is s tier
[08:06] <The_Third> lmao
[08:06] <The_Third> how's cs2 ragna?
[08:07] <jiyuphone> Ass. Really bad

[08:08] <The_Third> shoutouts to hazama doing no damage
[08:08] <The_Third> i assume
[08:09] <jiyuphone> Yeah he got damage nerf
[08:09] <jiyuphone> Ragna too

[08:14] <jiyuphone> [Ragna] 3c techable. Can't use in combo

[08:32] <jiyuphone> Rachel is really good

[08:42] <jiyuphone> Hazama just did triple chain into 623d into 2b > 236d
[08:42] <jiyuphone> 1400 damage
[08:43] <jiyuphone> Lmao

[08:55] <Soniti> is Rachel's j.a viable?
[08:55] <Soniti> as an overhead
[08:56] <jiyuphone> Yes
[08:56] <jiyuphone> They abusing it already
[08:56] <jiyuphone> Not even as overhead, she extending combos and confirming shit with it
[08:57] <jiyuphone> And her zoning game is just as strong plus damage
[08:57] <jiyuphone> She did 5200 earlier
[08:57] <Soniti> !!!
[08:57] <Soniti> off of what
[08:57] <Soniti> 5b?
[08:58] <Soniti> Whoa, Rachel's fork chains into stuff again?
[08:58] <Soniti> or just links on hit
[08:58] <jiyuphone> Just did 4300, 50 meter
[08:59] <The_Third> better than anything cs rachel had
[08:59] <Soniti> So are they using j.3d j.a as a way to push to the corner?
[08:59] <The_Third> everything*
[09:00] <jiyuphone> Yes. J3d aaaaaa
[09:00] <jiyuphone> She is legit

[09:01] <jiyuphone> Tager super armor is lol. And his a sledge is good

[09:01] <Soniti> Can she still do BBL -> dash under sj. 8d j.2c (level 3)
[09:02] <Soniti> is his super armor move punishable on block/ib?
[09:02] <jiyuphone> She did j.c ch into 2x super
[09:02] <jiyuphone> For 4100. No poles setup
[09:02] <jiyuphone> And he dropped followup combo
[09:03] <jiyuphone> Yes she has the fc j2c combo

[09:08] <jiyuphone> Burst change suckssssssss
[09:08] <Soniti> Burst change???
[09:08] <jiyuphone> Burst takes 3 primers

[09:08] <jiyuphone> Tager taking 2 primers with blockstring
[09:09] <jiyuphone> Raping anyone who bursts
[09:10] <jiyuphone> His super armor is Soooo gay
[09:11] <jiyuphone> It's 2 part move. I dunno if 2nd move automatically comes out
[09:11] <jiyuphone> But if it does, unsafe
[09:11] <jiyuphone> It's like 6a2c chain

[09:12] <jiyuphone> Hakumen hotaru fc blows them to corner lmao. This game is jokes

[09:13] <jiyuphone> Tager is all buffs though
[09:14] <jiyuphone> I still think this game is too amine for him to be top, but he's way better

[09:16] <jiyuphone> Hakumen did 2500 off 4c for 3 stars
[09:16] <jiyuphone> No big deal

[09:19] <jiyuphone> BBS says [Jin] and Ragna are really weak

[09:22] <jiyuphone> They didn't add any new colors which is pretty bullshit

[09:23] <jiyuphone> Rachel poking with fork and canceling into jump?
[09:23] <jiyuphone> Fork > j3d a
[09:24] <jiyuphone> From real far. Max distance fork
[09:25] <jiyuphone> She still has oki, etc
[09:25] <jiyuphone> WB Rachel

[09:25] <jiyuphone> Hakumen just looks cooler
[09:26] <jiyuphone> Faster, tsubaki ground slide

[09:29] <jiyuphone> Tager just took 4 primers in 2 seconds
[09:29] <jiyuphone> Lmao
[09:30] <jiyuphone> He could do 5 with spark bolt
[09:31] <jiyuphone> Blahblah 2c3c rc 6a2c3c spark bolt
[09:31] <jiyuphone> 5 primers
[09:31] <jiyuphone> Into 5500 tager buster combo

[09:32] <jiyuphone> If not just 4k 2c combo
[09:33] <jiyuphone> He is DESTROYING guard now lol
[09:34] <jiyuphone> Just resetting into primer rape
[09:34] <jiyuphone> Barrier and then lose your guard bar and get broken in danger mode

[09:56] <jiyuphone> Yeah [Dead Spike] on airborne opponents makes them spin
[09:56] <jiyuphone> I'm doing DS 5d(1) x3

WOOT MAYBE I'LL CHANGE BACK TO RACHEL

_dementia said:
edit: Hazama being ass :(

Game just came out. Give it time. Hazama was considered mid tier when CS1 first came out which made me go "WHAT??!!"

edit: GDLK RACHEL JABS ARE BACK :D

edit2: o Basic solo Carl air combo now : anything into cantabile, C, jB, j2C, jB, jC, jB, allegretto.

For anyone using Carl, that's a jump cancel (jc), not an aerial C (jC). jC now causes downward knockdown.

DY_nasty

Lambda's Gravity Well is fatal counter now? Feels good man. I'm loving what I'm hearing so far.

Give me a 4B upgrade and I'll kiss somebody.

Tager does sound a bit ridiculous right now though...

DY_nasty said:
Lambda's Gravity Well is fatal counter now? Feels good man. I'm loving what I'm hearing so far.

Guard Primer molester for sure.

DY_nasty said:

I also heard Lambda's gravity well also lost invul frames so I think it's going to be almost strictly combo only move.

Papercuts said:
Never expected Tager to be a guard crusher...sounds insane.

The only thing that I'm excited for is MikeZ... If he could manage those crazy games with low tier Tager, I can only imagine what he can do now.

Easily my fav Tager player.

Prototype-03 said:
The only thing that I'm excited for is MikeZ... If he could manage those crazy games with low tier Tager, I can only imagine what he can do now.

Easily my fav Tager player.
Real. Soviet. Damage.

I hope he tears things up in competitive play and that doujin game he's making doesn't eat up absolutely all of his time.

_dementia said:
Real. Soviet. Damage.

I hope he tears things up in competitive play and that doujin game he's making doesn't eat up absolutely all of his time.

He already tears it up in competitive play. It's kinda interesting seeing a lot of people crowd around him at AI. He also bought his own machine when CS first came out... Heard it was pretty ghetto.

DY_nasty

Prototype-03 said:
I also heard Lambda's gravity well also lost invul frames so I think it's going to be almost strictly combo only move.
I'd rather have my DD counter buffed and an improved up close game than having to bank on Gravity Well and its infernal you'regettingyourasswhoopedloldealwithit timer.

Besides, Fatal + Invuln would just be ridiculously unfair. As it was before, Lambda had almost no FCs worth mentioning while every other character was allowed to take full advantage of the perk.

236D is getting buffed too right? Air zoning was cake, but ground zoning without 214D was difficult and much riskier.

Nymerio

Holy crap, Rachel actually good again? That's amazing. I always liked her best, but in CS she just kinda sucked. The dlc character were just released yesterday and I've been doing Valkenhayn's challenges. I usually play play either Litchi or Rachel, but Valkenhayn has definitly grown on me.

Speaking of challenge mode, that stuff is more fun than I thought it would be. I'm now on Valkenhayns mission 8. Mission 7 took me at least 1.5 hours yesterday and today another hour till I passed it, but what an awesome feeling once I cleared the mission :p

Nymerio said:
Holy crap, Rachel actually good again? That's amazing. I always liked her best, but in CS she just kinda sucked. The dlc character were just released yesterday and I've been doing Valkenhayn's challenges. I usually play play either Litchi or Rachel, but Valkenhayn has definitly grown on me.

Speaking of challenge mode, that stuff is more fun than I thought it would be. I'm now on Valkenhayns mission 8. Mission 7 took me at least 1.5 hours yesterday and today another hour till I passed it, but what an awesome feeling once I cleared the mission :p

Yup, I'm contemplating whether to go back to Rachel. She's just so fun to play with.

Are you on PSN? I don't get enough valk v. valk matches. In fact, I don't really get much practice outside of Mu, Mak and Litchi. Also, the missions are a good guideline, but usually, there are way better combos out there (ie: more dmg and/or easier).

Riou

As a someone who stuck with rachel in CS, this is some refreshing news. I was afraid that they were gonna nerf her after all those loke tests and just make her slightly better than CS rachel. So i'm happy that it didn't turn out that way :D. Might even get xboxlive again when CS2 comes out.

xero273

Tsubaki

+ 5D's charge speed is faster than before. It seems like he got 1.5 charge meter really fast.
+ 2D's initial charge speed is kinda slow, after that it gets faster.
+ Air throw can be followed up midscreen without gauge.
+ A/B/C "Sword" staggers on ground hit.

- The opponent techs faster when hit by 3C, so you have no other choice but use 3CC.
- Her ground throw cannot be cancelled; it blows the opponent off like you were hit by "Wind".
- While charging, you're in CH status.
- "C Light" does not break Primers.

o 6CC > "D Wind" is possible on corner.
o On midscreen, "D Wind" blows the opponent just like A/B/C, but can't be followed-up.
o "A Spear" has the same startup time from CS1 but since there isn't any invencibility anymore, people were hit out of it a lot. Can't be followed up even on CH.
o 6B looks faster, can't follow-up with 5C anymore.
o "Airthrow > 2CC > j.C > dj.CC > "A Light" > "C Wing"" deals around 2400 damage.
o "A/B/C Sword" on CH is just like CS1.

I remember in the loc test, they said tsubaki 22d doesn't wall bounce anymore. I don't see that change here, so I guess she still can do combos off 22d?

xero273 said:
I remember in the loc test, they said tsubaki 22d doesn't wall bounce anymore. I don't see that change here, so I guess she still can do combos off 22d?

Nope. ALL wall bounce moves are gone except in the corner. That's including Ragna's DP, Litchi's j.C CH, Valkenhayn's 6C, Carl's j.B CH, Bang's fire punch, etc etc.

edit:
Just looked at Hazama changes. He's definitely still top. Ridiculous changes.

said:
Hazama
- 5B: Air unblockable
- 5C: Air unblockable. 5C (1st hit) > 6C works
- 6C: once air hit, the knife binds you to the ground for long a while
- 3C: can’t combo into anything on normal hit. Can combo into 214DC and 5C once counter hit. (near corner) 3C > jabaki > 5DD > JC > 5C > 2C> 4D > aerial combo works.
- JC: only first 2 hits are jump cancellable.
- All D moves: have same move proration. Ouroboros moves a way faster than CS1. DA cancel is a way faster too. 5A>5C>4DA combo works smoothly. 1 stock recovers once guard, 2 stocks recover once hit..
- Throw: can’t do any follow up combo unless at the corner. At the corner, you can combo with 5C, jabaki, and houtenjin.
- Air Throw: has wider throw range in accordance with system change. Does ground bounce on hit. You can do follow up combo even if you don’t do J2D
- 236C: you get 5% meter once hit.
- Misc Stuffs:
1. (you’re cornered) jabaki > 5C (1st hit)> 6C > 5C > 2C > blah blah combo works.
2. 3C counter hit, 214DC, 214DB counter, 6C can lead to the aerial combo at the field.
3. But 3C counter hit happens quite a lot.. if you begin the combo with 3C counter or jabaki, you can expect 3500 damage with no gauge
4. 6DA > 6DA > 6DD still works but trash due to the same move proration.
5. Houtenjin is still very strong move
6. Majority of people claims Hazama will be at the high tier with strengthened zoning.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Koroshi said:
So, I just read through this page and came to this conclusion: This game looks fucking hard to play.

If you did the same thing in the Street Fighter IV thread, you'd come to the same conclusion.

DY_nasty

ZealousD said:
If you did the same thing in the Street Fighter IV thread, you'd come to the same conclusion.
FA is the dumbest thing to happen to fighting games in a decade.

DY_nasty

Koroshi said:
I bought SSFIV and sold it because I was getting my ass whooped and couldn't seem to learn it.
Don't let the numbers and (initially) foreign terms fool you. Blazblue is a lot simpler than SSF4.

Fugu

DY_nasty said:
Don't let the numbers and (initially) foreign terms fool you. Blazblue is a lot simpler than SSF4.
Describing any fighting game as "simple" is misleading because unless the game is horribly broken, the difficulty of playing the game is ultimately going to depend on your opponent(s), not the characteristics of the game.

DY_nasty

Fugu said:
Describing any fighting game as "simple" is misleading because unless the game is horribly broken, the difficulty of playing the game is ultimately going to depend on your opponent(s), not the characteristics of the game.
From the links, to the option select bs, to the retarded FADC stuff... SSF4 is not only backwards, but overly complex.

Fugu said:

Not always true.

Virtua Fighter 4 being one of the last few games to acknowledge per character player skill levels. I had a friend who never played a VF game and was butthurt over being unable to pick up Vanessa, then whined about Akira because he was "the guy on the box, but hard to use." :lol

I'd say the entry level for both SF4/BB are pretty close, with SF4 catering slightly more to the completely fighting inept. Though there's always Smash Bros. for those people.

Plus unlike older fighting games BB:CS has an incredible and exhaustive training mode that's more capable of teaching a new player the ABC's of the game than a manual alone.

Hey, any 360 multi-console player interested in a straight trade for the PS3 version of BB:CS? I've read some inquiries about this in the past and a semi-Internet celebrity friend of mine who shall remain nameless bought the PS3 version instead of the 360 version. Unfortunately the sycophants and sheeple in the crowd he runs with all march lockstep with the Capcommunist party, so he can't play against the one person who actually plays BB:CS.

If you're interested in a straight trade of PS3 for 360 BB:CS let me know and I'll rattle his cage. He can't for some reason be bothered to post this himself. Probably because he's swimming Scrooge McDuck style in theoretical podcast dollars. :lol

Fugu

But if the entry barrier is low, then it stands to reason that not too many people will be playing at an absolute baseline level of the game and therefore that the competition will be inherently stiffer. The barrier of entry is relevant for all players; Guilty Gear, for example, is a more difficult game by design (seeing as it is essentially BlazBlue without the frame buffer) but because of that, the average player is worse at it meaning it takes about as long to become competitive at that as it does to become competitive at any other fighter.

The only thing that the ease of execution influences is how long it will take you to max out at the game mechanically, and because this has never happened in the history of people ever, it's not even relevant. If he plays against people who practice four hours a day and he's only practicing fifteen minutes a day, it doesn't matter what game it is; he's probably going to get beat regularly and consistently (unless he's an ungodly level of talented). It is inherent to the human vs. human nature of fighting games that the difficulty is determined entirely by the strength of your opponents.

Top Bottom