• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bleach Manga |OT| Return of the King

Chariot

It does bring (very belated) closure to his hunt though. Grimmjow started hunting him down, got put to sleep for awhile, came back to complete the hunt.

And perhaps to show he really didn't die/get out out of commission THAT easily.
Who gives ME closure for another female character robbed to advance a male one?

It is not really an attack type, it is a support one.
Perfect for training. Rip him apart and put him back together to continue.

Astral

Damn Urahara has a pretty cool Stand. He can heal himself and enemies get torn apart just for being in range? The path thing was kinda random but still cool. It was nice to see that Grimmjow didn't job after his big comeback but I do feel that Yoruichi got robbed.

EDIT: @Chariot. Nanao getting the win in Kyoraku's fight against owl man was a pretty big deal so that's something at least.

Eusis

Silly Chariot, shonen manga is where feminism only gets lip service! Unless it's something like FMA or perhaps a Rumiko Takahashi work. Part of why FMA at least is such an awesome manga really.

Though Bleach is particularly frustrating because it DOES have a lot of better female characters... In theory, but in practice they're usually sidelined for one reason or another, as we all must have noticed. :/

So, Urahara's bankai isn't that awesome but suits him and is kinda elegant. Grimmjow's appearance was the highlight, the finishing was fantastic. Man I wish Ulquiorra was still alive as well.

That shot of grimmjow was beautiful, Kubo sure can draw great faces.

Agreed;

Wasn't Grimmjow outside the cage? Askin never thought about that so I believe that was the reason Urahara chose him instead of Yoruichi, for the surprise element that ended being pretty effective.

Chariot

EDIT: @Chariot. Nanao getting the win in Kyoraku's fight against owl man was a pretty big deal so that's something at least.
With literal handholding. And with her it wouldn't feel like much of accomplishment anywayd. She didn't train for it, she didn't have that much screentime, it was for all intends and purposes a random power-up. Kubo had a time where he was better at this.
Silly Chariot, shonen manga is where feminism only gets lip service! Unless it's something like FMA or perhaps a Rumiko Takahashi work. Part of why FMA at least is such an awesome manga really.

Though Bleach is particularly frustrating because it DOES have a lot of better female characters... In theory, but in practice they're usually sidelined for one reason or another, as we all must have noticed. :/
Yeah, that's the thing. I am not even complaining about Orihime. Bleach actually has female characters that used to be badass and could win gor themselves in a believable way. But they just don't.

Astral

I'm rewatching the SS arc right now and Orihime's powers could have been so cool if Kubo gave them the treatment he gives other characters' abilities. She already has broken healing. He can easily power up Tsubaki and the other little fairies. Chad too. I don't even hate Chad. He just doesn't do shit because Kubo refuses to power him up. I have a feeling that even now, Chad is the same strength as he was in the Arrancar arc. He sidelines so many characters and puts the same few characters in the spotlight constantly.

Kain

Sooooo Urahara's Bankai is that he opens you from the inside when in range? Then what was that stitches path? And how could the Jow teleport his hand into that dude's chest? I get headaches when trying to understand Bleach logic.

Astral

Sooooo Urahara's Bankai is that he opens you from the inside when in range? Then what was that stitches path? And how could the Jow teleport his hand into that dude's chest? I get headaches when trying to understand Bleach logic.

He can also create stitch paths or something. Grimmjow I just followed it and broke through the "gift."

It almost seems like Grim just walked into the gift.

As for how he got his hand in there... He literally forced it through >:D

Hystzen

I'm rewatching the SS arc right now and Orihime's powers could have been so cool if Kubo gave them the treatment he gives other characters' abilities. She already has broken healing. He can easily power up Tsubaki and the other little fairies. Chad too. I don't even hate Chad. He just doesn't do shit because Kubo refuses to power him up. I have a feeling that even now, Chad is the same strength as he was in the Arrancar arc. He sidelines so many characters and puts the same few characters in the spotlight constantly.

Remember when Urahara trained Renji by making him fight Chad to help improve his bankai. Kubo even dropped some interesting bits about Chad and Kisuke watching says something like "these power can it be?" Which was never resolved (unless we meant to assume he was talkin about fullbring)

Hyping up the Karakura kids and dropping hints about future relevancy, and then doing absolutely nothing with them.

It's the Kubo way.

Astral

Remember when Urahara trained Renji by making him fight Chad to help improve his bankai. Kubo even dropped some interesting bits about Chad and Kisuke watching says something like "these power can it be?" Which was never resolved (unless we meant to assume he was talkin about fullbring)

I totally forgot about that. I think he was referring to how his powers are similar to that of a Hollow's, which I guess is later shown to be a characteristic of fullbring. But what about it? Your powers are similar to a Hollow's? The fuck does that actually mean though? Does it mean he can become stronger? Apparently not because Kubo said fuck it. Chad has a total of 2 wins: a hollow and Mosqueda. Other than that, he's spent his entire Bleach career jobbing. In SS, the poor guy has the ill fortune to run into Kyoraku, in the arrancar arc he jobs for Yami and Nnoitora, and he was practically written out of the 4th movie because he got his ass kicked too hard to invade Hell with his friends. I think Kubo just really hates him.

Jarnet87

Grimmjow dead on the floor for 40 chapters, comes out of nowhere to kill poison dude. Same shit happened to Aizen when Urahara came out of nowhere to Kidou him or w/e into some crystal. So that leaves Valkyrie dude and #2 to Bach to be killed. That will only take another 30 chapters.

qcf x2

You guys really think Askin is dead? Like, really? After Shunsui's back and forth with birdman, who may still be alive somewhere, I don't know... I think Askin is gonna stick around until the end. He might throw in the towel and just watch from the sidelines though.

It was nice to see Urahara fight scared. He looked creepy with the stitches and the dead eyes. I'm not a Grimmjow fan but that ending was cool. Dude gets so much hype but that was like his second time ever doing anything cool in the entire manga. The first was when he did an ultra combo on Ichigo in Karakura Town.

Grimmjow dead on the floor for 40 chapters, comes out of nowhere to kill poison dude. Same shit happened to Aizen when Urahara came out of nowhere to Kidou him or w/e into some crystal. So that leaves Valkyrie dude and #2 to Bach to be killed. That will only take another 30 chapters.

30 chapters... For one fight, right?

Khezu

Grimmjow showing up just reminded me of when Bleach had characters I cared about, well maybe not cared, but felt some kind of emotion for.

I enjoyed the Fake Karakura Town arc. My only wish was that the Vizard got more screentime, and that Unohana was there to fight instead of being in Hueco Mundo.

I still don't understand how Aizen switched places with Momo though.

I enjoyed the Fake Karakura Town arc. My only wish was that the Vizard got more screentime, and that Unohana was there to fight instead of being in Hueco Mundo.

I still don't understand how Aizen switched places with Momo though.
He didn't. He just tricked them into thinking Momo wss actually him.

Best fight in the series to me is Shinji vs Grimmjow.

Chariot

I disliked all later arcs in general, starting with Hueco Mundo. Mind you, there were fights and scenes I liked, but it just went downhill since Shinigami Society. I was pretty engaged in the interesting characters with various intentions, personalities and opinions regarding the execution and Ichigo. After that it was just a bunch of fights that kinda happened and the enemies had not a single chance because Kubo pumped all his beloved shinigami full of liquid plot armor. This really showed how awful his writing of fights was because instead of smart strategies we just got people who had oddly specific counter abilities to the characters they fought.

Chariot

But what about that moment where Hitsugaya is about to stab him and Aizen goes "Oh shit!" in his head?
Shoddy fake out writing that doesn't have any reason other than tricking the reader with a cheap false panel.
Maybe he also tricked Momo into thinking she was Aizen. Or just a faux pas to make us think that was Aizen.
Ok, that would make more sense, but if he can do that, why wouldn't he just make everyone think they're Aizen and let them kill each other? This is the issue with illusion powers in manga, they're usually either too powerful or too weak.

Maybe he also tricked Momo into thinking she was Aizen. Or just a faux pas to make us think that was Aizen.
It's actually pretty easy to explain, in my opinion. His illusion is absolute, so the person he's making everyone think is Aizen is going to look and act like he's Aizen. So, when "Aizen" was all surprised about getting stabbed, it was probably Momo being just as surprised that get her friend is stabbing her.

Jarnet87

Hueco Mundo gave us Pesche Guatiche, that only made it better then anything post HM. Nel is cool, Chad and Uryuu are actually useful. Mayuri is at his absolute best trolling the fuck out of Szayelaporro.

Wishful thinking that Aizen will take down Valkryie or Haschwalth, good chance we don't seen him in anything other then background for the rest of the manga lol. How could Kubo top Aizen's Shikai. Wasn't the only weakness that you had to be touching the sword to see through the illusion? Even then i recall the commander doing it and Aizen brushing it off easily. My guess is he never intended to give us his Bankai

Hueco Mundo gave us Pesche Guatiche, that only made it better then anything post HM. Nel is cool, Chad and Uryuu are actually useful. Mayuri is at his absolute best trolling the fuck out of Szayelaporro.

Wishful thinking that Aizen will take down Valkryie or Haschwalth, good chance we don't seen him in anything other then background for the rest of the manga lol. How could Kubo top Aizen's Shikai. Wasn't the only weakness that you had to be touching the sword to see through the illusion? Even then i recall the commander doing it and Aizen brushing it off easily. My guess is he never intended to give us his Bankai

I honestly can't think of a Bankai for Aizen that would live up to it's name. Maybe he just turns into Kubo with a bottle of whiteout or something, LOL.

qcf x2

Grimmjow showing up just reminded me of when Bleach had characters I cared about, well maybe not cared, but felt some kind of emotion for.

Why do people care about Grimmjow though? Kubo never even tried to develop his character, he was a broke man's Vegeta who was rightly shelved after getting offscreened by Nnoitra. Is it the blue hair?

Hueco Mundo was just a lesser Rukia Rescue Arc without the murder mystery subplot.

But it did have the best non-Aizen villain, ...who died the shittiest death I've ever seen for a character who had actual development. And FKT arc would have been ok if it didn't take forever to ramp up because of fodder fights and ultimately utterly destroy all the hype over the strength of the espada (only Barragan seemed OP).

Why do people care about Grimmjow though? Kubo never even tried to develop his character, he was a broke man's Vegeta who was rightly shelved after getting offscreened by Nnoitra. Is it the blue hair?

Grimmjow shares the same dream as many here: kill Ichigo. That's why he is awesome.

Seriously, sometimes we just need an arrogant, charismatic, cocky fighter that just want to beat the shit out of his enemy and don't care about the rest.

Khezu

But it did have the best non-Aizen villain, ...who died the shittiest death I've ever seen for a character who had actual development. And FKT arc would have been ok if it didn't take forever to ramp up because of fodder fights and ultimately utterly destroy all the hype over the strength of the espada (only Barragan seemed OP).

Mostly he got a lot of screen time, 3 different fights with Ichigo to build a rivalry.
He had a simple but fun personality.

There wasn't anything super interesting about him, he was just a competent mini boss.
Which is way more then I can so for the billion characters that have been introduced and killed since HM.

I honestly can't think of a Bankai for Aizen that would live up to it's name. Maybe he just turns into Kubo with a bottle of whiteout or something, LOL.

The counter to Kenpachi: Aizen's Bankai gives him the power to create.

It's the next step after artificially altering reality.

scarlet

The counter to Kenpachi: Aizen's Bankai gives him the power to create.

It's the next step after artificially altering reality.

That's what I thought too, but I bet he'd been used that since the beginning.

But then again, there's a quincy with similar power to that.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I still think i'd like it if it turned out that Aizen actually hasn't actually achieved his bankai. He's never actually had to use it for anything anyway; he bullshitted his way to captain rank by coming up with a fake bankai that he demonstrated to people who were under his hypnosis.

Plus, the idea of Aizen's power being so great that not even he could master it just seems like a very Bleach thing to do.

Didn't his sword dissolve at the end of his fight with Ichigo anyway?

Joni

It does bring (very belated) closure to his hunt though. Grimmjow started hunting him down, got put to sleep for awhile, came back to complete the hunt.

And perhaps to show he really didn't die/get out out of commission THAT easily.
I forgot that it was against this guy.

Chariot

We all know what will happen if Aizen ever reveals his bankai.

KSEDawB.jpg

There goes one of the best Quincys and one of the more entertaining characters period. RIP Askin, you had a good run all things considering, but I'll still say you deserved better.

Top Bottom