• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bleach: Thousand Year Blood War Trailer

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Looks incredible. Premieres October 10. Still no word on how this will be distributed in English territories. According to folks on Twitter its gonna be roughly 50 episodes, which is good IMO because 26 episodes was a little too small for this arc. Quite a lot happens and there are dozens upon dozens of characters.

YukiOnna

Yeah it's confirmed to be 4 cours (48-50 Episodes). No censorship and a lot of new scenes that weren't originally in the arc (though that's apparent for manga readers if you watch the trailer) reiterated, as well.

Japanese weren't joking about the movie quality. Chainsaw Man has competition.

G-Bus

Banned
Yeah it's confirmed to be 4 cours (48-50 Episodes). No censorship and a lot of new scenes that weren't originally in the arc (though that's apparent for manga readers if you watch the trailer) reiterated, as well.

Feel like I'm missing something here. I read the whole manga to the end, or at least i think I had. Been a while.

Non of this looks familiar and hasn't it all wrapped up?
Old man baldy died, same with kenpachi, no?

Maybe I really don't remember it all that well.

Really liked this one up until the whole Aizen bullshit stuff and some other things.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Feel like I'm missing something here. I read the whole manga to the end, or at least i think I had. Been a while.

Non of this looks familiar and hasn't it all wrapped up?
Old man baldy died, same with kenpachi, no?

Maybe I really don't remember it all that well.

Really liked this one up until the whole Aizen bullshit stuff and some other things.
This is mainly scenes from the first half of the final arc.
Yamamoto did die and Zaraki doesn't but Unohana, the previous Kenpachi, dies.

killatopak

Gold Member
d00.gif

Labolas

Not really my thing but I'm happy for the fans to get a proper ending. Best thing about Bleach were the chicks.

Doom85

Dunno about that. Don’t get me wrong, this is easily the best Bleach has ever looked, but that last Chainsaw Man trailer was next level, like almost on the level of the works of UFOTable. Based on the director’s comments, the anime probably could have started 3-4 seasons ago, but they’ve made it clear at MAPPA that pretty much everyone has mad respect for the mangaka as they specifically sought the rights to adapt it as opposed to it usually being the other way around and they intend to give it the highest effort they’ve ever done (and also are hoping to adapt every single thing he’s written), so yeah, they all but said they’ve given their animators like roughly an extra year to make it look THAT good. I think the only studio who could compete with Chainsaw Man‘s animation this season would be something from either UFOTable or Kyoto Animation and it doesn’t look like either have a show this fall season.

I admit, while I don’t know if I will get around to watching this new season of Bleach as I slowly didn’t care for the original post-episode 63 (yes, I skipped the filler episodes). But I am very happy Tite Kubo is getting this. As I found out later, he was subjugated to death threats and other online harassment while writing the latter parts of the manga and beyond (because every fucking fandom has to have these shitheads among them. We get it, the fictional story didn’t go the way you wanted, so move on to something else as opposed to attacking these writers and such over the most pathetic of reasons) so I went out of my way to purchase his Burn the Witch one-shot manga (which I found decent) and will check out whatever his future works are. It saddens me that a guy who just wanted to tell a fun story his way got treated like that, but it‘s become such a sad norm, so I just want to offer a bit of support.

The dude clearly bought joy to plenty of people who enjoyed Bleach all the way through, so I’d hate to think he’d feel discouraged due to the behavior of some assholes.

YukiOnna

Dunno about that. Don’t get me wrong, this is easily the best Bleach has ever looked, but that last Chainsaw Man trailer was next level, like almost on the level of the works of UFOTable. Based on the director’s comments, the anime probably could have started 3-4 seasons ago, but they’ve made it clear at MAPPA that pretty much everyone has mad respect for the mangaka as they specifically sought the rights to adapt it as opposed to it usually being the other way around and they intend to give it the highest effort they’ve ever done (and also are hoping to adapt every single thing he’s written), so yeah, they all but said they’ve given their animators like roughly an extra year to make it look THAT good. I think the only studio who could compete with Chainsaw Man‘s animation this season would be something from either UFOTable or Kyoto Animation and it doesn’t look like either have a show this fall season.

I admit, while I don’t know if I will get around to watching this new season of Bleach as I slowly didn’t care for the original post-episode 63 (yes, I skipped the filler episodes). But I am very happy Tite Kubo is getting this. As I found out later, he was subjugated to death threats and other online harassment while writing the latter parts of the manga and beyond (because every fucking fandom has to have these shitheads among them. We get it, the fictional story didn’t go the way you wanted, so move on to something else as opposed to attacking these writers and such over the most pathetic of reasons) so I went out of my way to purchase his Burn the Witch one-shot manga (which I found decent) and will check out whatever his future works are. It saddens me that a guy who just wanted to tell a fun story his way got treated like that, but it‘s become such a sad norm, so I just want to offer a bit of support.

The dude clearly bought joy to plenty of people who enjoyed Bleach all the way through, so I’d hate to think he’d feel discouraged due to the behavior of some assholes.
I think in terms of raw quality they are about the same, it's just a matter of which art direction you prefer (and which ends up holding up best in later episodes since they can't maintain it forever). Funnily enough, they have similar circumstances because the new staff and Director for Bleach is a huge fan of the manga and they're throwing their all into it- the staff behind this are quite good, too. Kubo is also involved the entire way through so getting to hear how much he's able to add input into the new anime has been relieving. He never liked the original for a lot of reasons (and the constant fillers sucked,) lol. It's good this is going to be split 4 cour, so it won't be like Pierrot's usual stunts. I'm looking forward to both series anyway, just glad October is eating good for Shonen Jump.

Definitely a shame Kubo faced that on top of his health deteriorating while writing & drawing the final arc, so it never got through everything he alluded to and he admitted to feeling like crap. That's why I'm glad this exists and he has a better schedule for his manga that prioritizes his health.

Doom85

feck this series still going on

The manga concluded quite a few years ago. Of the “Big 3” (referring to the 3 most iconic action shonen of the 2000’s decade), only One Piece is still going though it is entering its final arc. Naruto did conclude, but also did get a “next generation” sequel called Boruto but by a different author though the original author Kishimoto did return later on to take over writing duties.

Fbh

The animation looks great.
Shame the last arc is shit. But maybe they can rewrite it a bit

Sub_Level

The animation looks great.
Shame the last arc is shit. But maybe they can rewrite it a bit

Even in the manga the first half was pretty good. Arguably the best stuff since Soul Society. The second half is when the writing turned to shit. I think Bleach’s style is better suited to anime at any rate; which will cover 2-3 chapters at a time. It likely won’t be a 1:1 copy of the manga.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
This activates my bankai if you know what I'm saying

Ima have to whip out the gigai to deposit some of this overwhelming reishi right y'all?

I have a need to Kukaku my Shiba, yeah?

I'd fuck Orihime.

Boner and Bleach both start with B.

I'm still not a weeb, guy who hates FFVIIR.

Last edited:

Paltheos

I look forward to picking up again one teenager's journey to be #1 and routinely failing. Fullbring arc had probably my favorite play on Ichigo's obsession, but Kubo has a few more cards in store for this final story. Enjoy, all.

Sub_Level

Why did they stop this anyway? Why didn't they finish this way back when?

The manga was losing popularity. The writing got worse as this arc went on, and you could tell the author Kubo Tite no longer had the same enthusiasm. So he ended things.

The anime had a different problem: it kept having to stop and do fillers because the manga was so slow at moving the plot forward. They literally interrupted thr plot multiple times during Hueco Mundo/Winter War to do filler. Bleach anime is 60% filler which is an INSANE ratio. There is only one good filler arc (Zanpaktou Rebellion) out of the whole bunch. If the anime kept going it would have had to do 1-2 more YEARS of filler before adapting Thousand Year Blood War. It was a bad situation so they ended it at Fullbring arc.

I stopped watching/reading in the middle of Huenco Mundo or whatever the fuck it was called. Jumping back on for this though, looks fucking amazing animation wise.

MCcWcjx.gif

Waaaaaaaay more interested in this than Chainsaw Man. I know this arc is fire, crazy shit goes down and cuz the anime stopped Kubo could just do whatever he liked.

Sub_Level

I stopped watching/reading in the middle of Huenco Mundo or whatever the fuck it was called.

Thats definitely the worst part of the show. If you’re able to push through it, the quality picks up again for the Winter War & the battle against Aizen.

Sub_Level

UPDATE: Viz Media twitter announced that the old English voice actors for Ichigo, Rukia, Uryu, Renji, Urahara, and Orihime are all returning. No word on the Soul Society characters but I imagine most of them will remain the same as well.

As of today, September 30, we still don’t know if this is streaming on Disney+ or Crunchyroll :messenger_fearful:

Fbh

Even in the manga the first half was pretty good. Arguably the best stuff since Soul Society. The second half is when the writing turned to shit. I think Bleach’s style is better suited to anime at any rate; which will cover 2-3 chapters at a time. It likely won’t be a 1:1 copy of the manga.

yeah the first half was solid, I was actually properly hyped to see where things would go.
But the ending was terrible. The powers and fights get too abstract, the main bad guy is too OP in a non fun way, the fights turn into both fighters taking turns to "one up" each other with increasingly more bullshit powers, etc so this is one of the few instances I'd be glad if they made major changes from the manga.

Last edited:
UPDATE: Viz Media twitter announced that the old English voice actors for Ichigo, Rukia, Uryu, Renji, Urahara, and Orihime are all returning. No word on the Soul Society characters but I imagine most of them will remain the same as well.

As of today, September 30, we still don’t know if this is streaming on Disney+ or Crunchyroll :messenger_fearful:

The manga was losing popularity. The writing got worse as this arc went on, and you could tell the author Kubo Tite no longer had the same enthusiasm. So he ended things.

The anime had a different problem: it kept having to stop and do fillers because the manga was so slow at moving the plot forward. They literally interrupted thr plot multiple times during Hueco Mundo/Winter War to do filler. Bleach anime is 60% filler which is an INSANE ratio. There is only one good filler arc (Zanpaktou Rebellion) out of the whole bunch. If the anime kept going it would have had to do 1-2 more YEARS of filler before adapting Thousand Year Blood War. It was a bad situation so they ended it at Fullbring arc.
Compared to many, many other big anime, I actually thought Bleach had way higher quality filler than almost all of the rest of them to the point where I felt bad for viewers of other shows like Naruto and One Piece. I honestly enjoyed the Bount Arc, the Zanpaktou Rebellion Arc, and the Shusuke Amagai Arc. They were too enjoyable and good in quality for what was essentially filler.

Sub_Level

All according to Aizen’s plan. Son of a bitch.

bleach aizen sousuke GIF

Compared to many, many other big anime, I actually thought Bleach had way higher quality filler than almost all of the rest of them to the point where I felt bad for viewers of other shows like Naruto and One Piece. I honestly enjoyed the Bount Arc, the Zanpaktou Rebellion Arc, and the Shusuke Amagai Arc. They were too enjoyable and good in quality for what was essentially filler.

Having rewatched the anime recently, the Rebellion filler is just flat out better than Hueco Mundo. Not just the writing but the animation and music too. Not sure what made the anime staff pop off like that but its appreciated. The other filler was painful tho not a fan personally. The bount arc probably made some people drop the show lol

killatopak

Gold Member
Can’t wait for the drip.

this is the show that started the fashion trend in anime. Characters actually change their clothes minus the soul society since they’re uniforms.

Having rewatched the anime recently, the Rebellion filler is just flat out better than Hueco Mundo. Not just the writing but the animation and music too. Not sure what made the anime staff pop off like that but its appreciated. The other filler was painful tho not a fan personally. The bount arc probably made some people drop the show lol
I think that the Bount arc had very bad placement, but I don't necessarily think it was that bad of an arc, as self-contained as it was. I like to look at fillers from a perspective of 'if this portion were on it's own, would it hold up?' and I think the Bount arc does well at meeting that criteria. Now on the other hand the post-Aizen arc (the one right before the official arc when the anime ended) was kind of bad to me.

If the Bount arc were placed anywhere earlier than where it was actually placed, I think it could have been received better.

Top Bottom