• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

does NG+ just increase the cost of items and the health of enemies? i am lvl 125 and on NG+ but haven't really played. only as far as to return to the hunter's dream.

i don't know if i should just keep on with ng+ or start a new save.

does NG+ just increase the cost of items and the health of enemies? i am lvl 125 and on NG+ but haven't really played. only as far as to return to the hunter's dream.

i don't know if i should just keep on with ng+ or start a new save.
Everything pretty much stays at end game level costs. Enemies definitely get more health and damage though, especially in the dlc.

Tried my hand at Hunter's Nightmare. Fuck that place. Got killed by a Hunter down in a tunnel in the blood river because the fucker had a gatling gun and I had nowhere to take cover (and if I got too far away he was popping blood vials). Went back and the Cthulhu Executioner killed me outside the Grand Cathedral. Lost about 40k echoes, but I'll come back later and try again.

Edit - oh, I didn't realise this was the DLC area. My weapon is only +6 and I think I'm level 72. I'll do more of the main game and then come back.

Tried my hand at Hunter's Nightmare. Fuck that place. Got killed by a Hunter down in a tunnel in the blood river because the fucker had a gatling gun and I had nowhere to take cover (and if I got too far away he was popping blood vials). Went back and the Cthulhu Executioner killed me outside the Grand Cathedral. Lost about 40k echoes, but I'll come back later and try again.

Edit - oh, I didn't realise this was the DLC area. My weapon is only +6 and I think I'm level 72. I'll do more of the main game and then come back.
Go back there right before you beat the game lol. I swear to god
Ludwig's
theme is possibly one of the best boss battle themes within the last ten years...shit Bloodborne in general has some of the best boss themes within the last ten years.

I'm nearing the end of my playthrough, and this really is the game of the generation for me. I feel like it's tailormade for me to love it. Running a strength build with the Whirligig Saw and Beast Cutter has been a blast, you really decimate things in PVE. I know the Beast Cutter has kind of blah scaling but it's crazy how good it is for crowd control, especially fighting NPC hunters. They just can't get close to you, and that second R2 knocking them flat never gets old. I'm also shocked that I'm enjoying Chalice Dungeons, though I'm not looking forward to running through the Cursed Chalice. I get why people don't like them, but there is so much potential with them, I really hope From tries something similar in a new game. This might be the one game I platinum.

I'm nearing the end of my playthrough, and this really is the game of the generation for me. I feel like it's tailormade for me to love it. Running a strength build with the Whirligig Saw and Beast Cutter has been a blast, you really decimate things in PVE. I know the Beast Cutter has kind of blah scaling but it's crazy how good it is for crowd control, especially fighting NPC hunters. They just can't get close to you, and that second R2 knocking them flat never gets old. I'm also shocked that I'm enjoying Chalice Dungeons, though I'm not looking forward to running through the Cursed Chalice. I get why people don't like them, but there is so much potential with them, I really hope From tries something similar in a new game. This might be the one game I platinum.

You can also get a free theme if you platinum the game, BB is an awesome experience for newcomers and veterans

Second playthrough - everything is so much easier now that I'm not total trash at this game. Running a Chikage build and this thing wrecks shop even though the beginning of the game is a bit lacking when you have to invest in BLT.

Still can't beat the final boss in Eileen's quest though, I keep getting visceraled.

tebunker

Banned
Took 3 tries but finally wrecked Lady Maria in her astral tower. Key was really getting down side stepping and forward dodging. On towards the Hamlet, which has sucked, nothing beat dodging, being off by a hair and getting eaten whole. yay!

Came back to the game for a new setup:

UhC3Y6h.jpg

I've had the fool gems lying around for a while but got lucky and caught a triangular heavy abyssal from the headless blb. One of the reasons I never saw interest in doing a strength build was exactly because of the farming I'd have to do to land this kind of gem, especially since there are no triangle/waning variations. It took me 5 or 6 tries to get this one.

Despite the sucky secondary stat, this thing wrecks with constant 10k combos. I want to see if this works better on a different weapon.

After at least ten tries, I finally wrecked Abhorrent Beast at end of Ailing Loran. Once I figured out his attack patterns it was easy. He definitely gave me more trouble than any boss so far, even Ludwig. There's something so satisfying about hitting a wall in these games and then suddenly understanding what you need to do and wrecking a boss. Get gud is REAL.

Even though I don't need it to platinum, I think I'm going to do Isz. I want to have beaten all the standard chalice dungeons before I beat the game. The dungeons are aggravating but so addictive.

Pixieking

Banned
Took 3 tries but finally wrecked Lady Maria in her astral tower. Key was really getting down side stepping and forward dodging. On towards the Hamlet, which has sucked, nothing beat dodging, being off by a hair and getting eaten whole. yay!

I did Hamlet yesterday. Had
It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Fishmen
running through my head during it.

Also, fuck Kos and Laurence. They can go die in a fire of doom and piss.

Melchiah

Even though I don't need it to platinum, I think I'm going to do Isz. I want to have beaten all the standard chalice dungeons before I beat the game. The dungeons are aggravating but so addictive.

I did them all as well. They're addictive and challenging. The Isz bosses aren't that bad, but there's a certain room with several enemies that's pretty hard. It has
werewolves, brainsuckers and laser shooting celestials.

Son Of D

Still playing this game so much. Just having a lot of fun messing about with new builds and using weapons I never touched.

Might even try a BL4 run soon.

What's the purpose of blood bullets? Not really noticing much difference in damage.

They are no different than normal bullets, but are just a way to expand how many bullets you can use for arcane tools, or bullets for damage/parries. If you try and always use blood bullets, your normal bullet supply will last a long time, as enemies drop blood vials more often than bullets.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
They are no different than normal bullets, but are just a way to expand how many bullets you can use for arcane tools, or bullets for damage/parries. If you try and always use blood bullets, your normal bullet supply will last a long time, as enemies drop blood vials more often than bullets.

Pretty much. This is way more important with weapons that really rely on bullets like the rifle spear or Moonlight Great Sword. It's not necessarily easy, but if you don't pay attention you can run out of bullets using those weapons.

What's the purpose of blood bullets? Not really noticing much difference in damage.

In some instances you can cast blood bullets , parry and have your health loss regained instantly, so you end with more bulltes than before. Cane players can relate in that mechanic. Certain guns like the repeating gun and the cannon beneficts more

The Cannon gun had a trick to have two extra shot with that mechanic, with bone ashes you can two shoot bosses but was nerfed pretty early

tebunker

Banned
Just beat both DLC and Main game on my first play through.

Kos took some patience. Eventually he/it died like all good elder gods do.

The last two bosses in the main game weren't quite as hard as Kos.

Honestly I think the only two knocks I have on the game is that there isn't much reason to try too many different weapons other than curios desire to mix it up. Ludwig's is just amazing for most run. Granted I used a tonitrus a lot too but didnt push for arcane.

I could see going other build routes to mix it up.

Great game overall. I've now beaten Demon Souls, Dark Souls+Dlc, DS2 Sotfs, & now BB+Dlc in the last 14 months or so. Up next is DS3.

I will probably come back and do some more chalice dungeons.

Finished Cainhurst and found the Abandoned Healing Workshop. Cainhurst was actually pretty easy once I'd got inside the building and away from those blood blister creatures. The only part which gave me trouble was the boss, and I did co-op a few times to learn his attacks etc and then took someone in with me and wrecked him. I like the progression of this level, with its shortcuts that make the level end-to-end really quite brief. Anyway, did a bit more grinding and tomorrow I think I'll head down past the place it took me after defeating Rom.

Started and Finished Cainhurst today. Beat down Logarius on my first try too, so yeah I'm probably overleveled, despite almost dying. I was going to do Amygdala first but honestly, my mood today really was set on Cainhurst lol. Wish it was longer to be honest, best location of the game thus far imo.

I will try to squeeze the Nightmare and Amygdala this weekend and take on the final bosses next weekend. Any tips on the Nightmare realm itself? I'm level 76 currently but I've heard its the worst location in the game...

Best wishes.

Started and Finished Cainhurst today. Beat down Logarius on my first try too, so yeah I'm probably overleveled, despite almost dying. I was going to do Amygdala first but honestly, my mood today really was set on Cainhurst lol. Wish it was longer to be honest, best location of the game thus far imo.

I will try to squeeze the Nightmare and Amygdala this weekend and take on the final bosses next weekend. Any tips on the Nightmare realm itself? I'm level 76 currently but I've heard its the worst location in the game...

Best wishes.

Shortcuts are pretty hidden or too obvious to be pass, high poison area be careful and dont panic, there is a hidden maze and be aware from high positioned enemies. the boss can be hard in low level characters but your lvl is pretty high to one shot it

Milijango

Looks like I aggroed an NPC in

Old Yharnam. Could I pacify him?

Yes (usually). You'll need to leave him be for now. Later in the game you'll get an opportunity (minor spoiler)
to enter Old Yharnam via a back entrance. If you make it up to his perch without being spotted you can talk to him.

DiddyBop

Just beat margo's Wet Nurse on my first try, game really opened up once i learned how to attack with my weapon of choice (saw cleaver). a good mix of patience, dodging,and getting in close then rolling out has worked so far with all bosses.

I beat all the main and optional bosses, going to play the DLC before I tackle the
burning Hunter's Dream
which I know is the end game

I really see now why so many love this game, the lore, music, gameplay, visuals....amazing

GHG

Looks like I aggroed an NPC in

Old Yharnam. Could I pacify him?

I just got through that level, climbed his tower and killed him by slashing him till he fell to his death. He fully deserved it for machine gunning me as I'm trying to deal with all the other shit that area throws at you.

Kinsei

Banned
Going through the chalice dungeons as you progress through the game instead of waiting until the endgame is pretty fun. It's also pretty cool to be running through the game with the bone ash armor set. I've just finished Byrgenwerth and now I'm off to the lower pthumerian chalice. The first time I played through the game I left them all for the end ad I was incredibly bored going through the early ones. Due to the awful first impression I've never attempted to do all of the fixed dungeons until now.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah, it helps to space them out like that. Plus they will be more challenging, if you do Pthumeru depth 1 immediately it's more interesting than if you breeze through it with end-game gear.

Kinsei

Banned
Yeah, it helps to space them out like that. Plus they will be more challenging, if you do Pthumeru depth 1 immediately it's more interesting than if you breeze through it with end-game gear.

For sure. I've been doing a chalice after every boss starting with BSB. Watchdog went from being a joke to an actual threat

Going through the chalice dungeons as you progress through the game instead of waiting until the endgame is pretty fun. It's also pretty cool to be running through the game with the bone ash armor set. I've just finished Byrgenwerth and now I'm off to the lower pthumerian chalice. The first time I played through the game I left them all for the end ad I was incredibly bored going through the early ones. Due to the awful first impression I've never attempted to do all of the fixed dungeons until now.

Thats the best way to do the chalices as you said, leaving them after end game is boring and those gems are quite helpul while you progress throught the main game

void666

Banned
I hate rom so much. Sometimes he (or she?) is so easy. Sometimes he kicks my ass. I'm being one shot all the time by him or his spiders. Maybe i need more HP (742).
If i had the chance to heal i would kill him easily.

SDR-UK

I hate rom so much. Sometimes he (or she?) is so easy. Sometimes he kicks my ass. I'm being one shot all the time by him or his spiders. Maybe i need more HP (742).

Have you tried one cycling him? It is very possible to do and makes the fight a lot more bearable, as well as exciting as a result. I appreciate Rom a lot more now than I did at release.

Totally up for Co-op if you're interested, too.

Kinsei

Banned

You could take the slow route and kill all of the little spiders. All of Rom's attacks have huge tells so as long as you keep him it in view at all times you should have ample time to dodge.

I'll be playing about five hours from now if you need a co-op buddy. Fire me an invite on Telminator-2 if you're interested.

Beat Amygdala first try as well. Those hind legs are hard as hell, basically just wailed aimlessly to do massive damage with the Tonitrius.

Last 2 bosses left and Ebrietas left. I feel like continuing but I might just wait till next weekend. Thanks for your help guys.

Best wishes.

void666

Banned
You could take the slow route and kill all of the little spiders. All of Rom's attacks have huge tells so as long as you keep him it in view at all times you should have ample time to dodge.

I killed rom this week with another character. Just ignored the spiders and hacked him to death. Easy.
Today this trategy failed. I tried to kill the spiders first. I was one combo away from killing him. Then those crystals fell from the sky and i did exactly what i did dozens of times before to dodge but it didn't work.

Rom is the only boss that's either a walk in the park or a pain the ass.

This is not my first time whining about rom in the OT. I'll kill the fucker eventually.

And thanks guys but i'll try to beat him on my own. I just need to git gud.

JarrodL

Ludwig, The Holy Blade. How do I avoid his attack when he's dropping on me from the above? The one where he jumps up and disappears from view, blood dripping down to indicate his position. I think I've tried everything in attempts to not get hit by this - rolling away non-stop or running away in different directions randomly works, and then randomly doesn't, and I don't understand what the difference in my actions is. This attack one-hit-kills me, sometimes from full health.

Ludwig, The Holy Blade. How do I avoid his attack when he's dropping on me from the above? The one where he jumps up and disappears from view, blood dripping down to indicate his position. I think I've tried everything in attempts to not get hit by this - rolling away non-stop or running away in different directions randomly works, and then randomly doesn't, and I don't understand what the difference in my actions is. This attack one-hit-kills me, sometimes from full health.
I use the timing. You're goal isn't to get away from him, it's to dodge when he lands. So use the visual cues of the blood dripping, the sound effects or just count in your head when to roll from when he goes up. A little trial and error maybe but it works. In my head I'm saying something like "jump... 1...2...3... roll!"

Phazon_Chaos

Neo Member
I kept having trouble with the
Orphans of Kos
, so I decided to go take care of the
Nightmare of Mensis
, which I had a pretty easy time with, I guess because I had already gone through most of the DLC. Went back to try again afterwards and beat him on my first try (although I did use all 20 blood vials), so that felt pretty good after the amount of time I had previously spent fighting him.

Now I'm planning to run through all of the fixed chalice dungeons to keep doing new stuff while I grind for blood echoes to buy the weapons I don't have yet before I finish the game. It sounds like some of the later chalice dungeon bosses are pretty hard though, so I'll have to see how this goes.

Pixieking

Banned
OoK is seriously one of the best fights in the Souls series, in execution, and spectacle. Laurence is pretty annoying, though. :p

See, I posted about them dying in a fire, but I've literally just turned the PS4 off after killing them both. :D OoK is good, but the camera/lock-on issues when he jumps in his second phase make him just a pain in the arse. Laurence isn't all that, once you get to his second phase - nearly died from stun-locked lava at the beginning, but once I got out, it was all good.

I will say that I spent a good 4 hours leveling, pumping points in STR, VIT and SKL (and a point or two into Bloodtinge), so I maybe was a bit overleveled by the time I did them in. :p

All areas searched - I think I have 3 bosses left, if I go for the secret ending.

Phazon_Chaos

Neo Member
Laurence isn't all that, once you get to his second phase - nearly died from stun-locked lava at the beginning, but once I got out, it was all good.

I found that if I got nicely settled beside his right arm (the small one) in the second phase, as long as I stayed circling around him when he did the multi-claw forward he wouldn't even hit me, so on the try that I beat him on the second phase actually seemed way easier than the first phase.

Nev

Banned
The hook and chain variant of the undead giant sucks. Such a boring fight.

It's better than the total pushover beast-possesed soul, brainsucker, pig and the likes. They might as well not bother with these "bosses" and they're too frequent. Worst part of the chalices.

Kinsei

Banned
It's better than the total pushover beast-possesed soul, brainsucker, pig and the likes. They might as well not bother with these "bosses" and they're too frequent. Worst part of the chalices.

At least they are over fast.

This is how my fight with hook hand went.

Dash in and do a single attack around 170 damage

Dodge the counter attack

Dash in and do a single attack around 170 damage

Dodge the counter attack

repeat over and over and over and over and over.

Top Bottom