• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Blinck

So... are there many weapons and equipment that can only be obtained through Chalice Dungeons?
I'm not particularly keen on doing Chalice Dungeons since I prefer progressing through the story but I also didn't want to miss many weapons/armor

E92 M3

The unseen village is hard man. Damn bell ladies. Killed those three hunters at least.

The barrage of witches plus laser beam is the worst part in the game for exploring lol. Hate those crazy old ladies.

So... are there many weapons and equipment that can only be obtained through Chalice Dungeons?
I'm not particularly keen on doing Chalice Dungeons since I prefer progressing through the story but I also didn't want to miss many weapons/armor

Chalice dungeons manly giver better runes and gems. There are a few unique armor sets and a unique weapon.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
One or two armour sets, IIRC. One weapon. And high quality blood gems and runes.

what's your level? her tentacles kinda prevents you from doing hit and run tactis, i managed to kill her in ng+ by standing really close and slipping under her left arm, hitting one or twice and trying to stay behind her. you can still get hit but it's only one hit so you can recover the damage quickly. when she's dying you better run away or you'll get killed by the laser
also she's weak to kin and bolt, if you want to swap some gems

if you try in coop the best strategy is doing a pincher attack, one player lure ebby and the other hits her from behind

I'm in the same boat, everytime I ring a bell for help, network connection lost.

Respect

Best gems and glyphs are in Chalices...there are weapons in there that have different blood gem sockets, but they don't do higher base damage.

Hate you. I'll have to give a shot myself though when I start invading. I deserve it.
It's basically a trolling level for me lol.
I knew those assholes from the chalice dungeons that run super fast, with their hair all weirdly flowing around reminded of something:

MgTM0ba.gif

Just edit the girl and give her a hunter cap.
They're not scary for me because my first encounter with one was hilarious. I didn't see it and it was running behind so when I turned the camera, I saw something moving like the flash. Before I got scared it fell down a pit trying to reach me and I just laughed at it.
The woman in white before
The Wet Nurse
she just stands there, should I kill her, leave her, etc.
If you kill her she'll come after you in a chalice dungeon ;)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I call those the black metal shriekers 'cause that's what they look and sound like. :p They're fairly easy to parry with the gun, but if you miss, you're kind of fucked... they hit like goddamn trucks.

And that's when they're alone. If they're surrounded by spider mobs, grrrrrrrr

It's basically a trolling level for me lol.

They're not scary for me because my first encounter with one was hilarious. I didn't see it and it was running behind so when I turned the camera, I saw something moving like the flash. Before I got scared it fell down a pit trying to reach me and I just laughed at it.

If you kill her she'll come after you in a chalice dungeon ;)

What really lol. Doe sshe drop anything worthwhile otherwise I'll just leave her be.

It's good. All I was doing last night was co-op and invasions and I wasn't having any issues. Using passwords and playing with friends is better than ever now too. I think the longest I had to wait was a minute.

Not sure where you're playing, but it's still horrible for me, everytime I ring a bell network connection lost and kicks me to main menu. No problems with any other games.

Alo0oy

Banned
I didn't find them much harder at all...just a lot more health and hitting a little harder.

They have better AI, they can cancel moves in the middle of an animation & do another move, in coop they can also switch targets in the middle of an attack animation.

What's the best stat distribution for a Chikage build? I read it work a bit different in 2H mode.

25 skill + 50 bloodtinge. You'll want to do most of your attacking in 2H mode but if you aren't hitting anything or are fishing for a parry transition out. The 25 skill is nice for when you do end up using the non-blood mode although I suppose a case could be made for just getting skill to the minimum requirement and spending points elsewhere.

A bonus is your Evelyn will do some really good damage.

I just requested help AND JUST BEAT HIM SOLO. I'm happy to join you and help out -- I'm level 114, post your glyph! I WANT TO PUNISH HIM MORE.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm away from the game right now. Also, I'm level 66 and I refuse to level up for that bum of a boss >.>

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Had absolutely no problems in NG+. I found it easier, in fact.

Yeah bosses scale quite gently, although they gain new moves. NPC Hunters just seem to stay about the same as they were, but some regular mobs can get really dangerous the further you get in.

In NG++ dogs go from being a nuisance to certain death if you allow a couple to get really on you at the same time. They do ridiculous damage really fast.

Toxi

Banned
You know I just can't over the fact that
Patches is a spider with his signature bald head

I guessed that he would appear since he appeared in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1, but certainly not like that lol
It's like From realized there was only one way for me to like Patches even more than I do already.

Agree with others that unrestricted item spoilers on the loading screen is stupid. Unlike previous Souls games, one of Bloodborne's biggest conceits is completely hiding the existence of the second half of the game, and considering how openly items from that part of the game talk about the Truth it would have been a major bummer for me to have it spoiled before the time was right.

Toxi

Banned
Agree with others that unrestricted item spoilers on the loading screen is stupid. Unlike previous Souls games, one of Bloodborne's biggest conceits is completely hiding the existence of the second half of the game, and considering how openly items from that part of the game talk about the Truth it would have been a major bummer for me to have it spoiled before the time was right.
Yeah, here's how I would have done it.

• All badges only appear in loading screens after you obtain them.
  • Anything referencing
    the Great Ones
    only appears in loading screens after you trigger
    the Red Moon
  • Anything you get in
    Cainhurst Castle
    only appears in loading screens after you get the summons.
  • The
    Queenly Flesh
    only appears in loading screens after you obtain it.
  • Anything you get from the
    Old Hunter's Badge
    only appears in loading screens after you beat the game (regardless of which ending you get).

Those are the biggest spoilers. Everything else is fine.

They can't help it, they thought it was an eyeball...it's all they live for. I didn't find them much harder at all...just a lot more health and hitting a little harder.

I second that. I find the game a lot easier on New Game plus. I guess we just improve as game goes on and since we are constantly forced to learn parrying, it helps. The regular NPC's are hitting much harder and NPC hunters also dont seem to scale up.

Adam Blue

Are you sure you have them all?

Beast claws people tend to forget about

I've not heard of any issues with this one. Check the list again and make sure you have them all. Found one other thread mentioning this, but the person had missed the hunter's torch and another where the person missed the stake driver.

List the weapons you have and I am sure someone on here will point out what you are missing.

sounds like people mentioned the first couple.
i'd recommend counting your unique weapons ... then counting how many you need. just in case your eyes are playing tricks on you.

Damn...I never bought Ludwig's rifle. When cross-referencing I just jumped to the conclusion that it was the holy blade. I can do so much in this game, but miss a weapon right in front of me? Sorry to waste posts! I'll be quiet now...

alichino

The new loading screens are exactly what I was hoping for. Love being able to read item descriptions on the loading screens, and the wait is definitely shorter than it used to be. Just made a great game that much better. Thanks FROM!

Oppo

I'm not sure about the new enemies in this patch

c3mezMC.jpg

I think I need to drop Insight or something. dude with the cat suit just wrecks me

You can get every weapon beside one in the world outside the chalice dungeons. There are unique items like gems and runes for chalice dungeons only ( Stamina 20%, hp 15% and many more)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
More noob questions time:

Is there a point doing initial section (the streets with the mob) over and over to gain blood echoes, and then going back to hunter's dream to buy stuff? I've done this a few times and purchased all the hunters clothes I could, and now it seems like I can't really do anything useful there anymore. Can I level up or improve my weapons this early in the game?

- Is there a point in fighting the big guardian guy that you can get to early in the game if you go left down the stairs where you meet the very first mob, rather than going after that mob? Is there a shortcut or something very useful behind him? I died on him probably 10 times in a row, and I just think I'm not ready to face him yet.

- When people say that there are shortcuts in the game, are they talking strictly about the gates that you can open, or are there other kinds of shortcuts? (please be vague if need be, if it's spoilerific to answer this)

Dmonzy

• Anything referencing
    the Great Ones
    the Red Moon
  • Anything you get in
    Cainhurst Castle
  • The
    Queenly Flesh
    Old Hunter's Badge
    only appears in loading screens after you beat the game (regardless of which ending you get).

Or even simpler, an item only gets added to the loading screen "pool" if you've obtained it at some point (for ALL items). It doesn't make sense to know about items you haven't found yet.

cm osi

Is there a point doing initial section (the streets with the mob) over and over to gain blood echoes, and then going back to hunter's dream to buy stuff? I've done this a few times and purchased all the hunters clothes I could, and now it seems like I can't really do anything useful there anymore. Can I level up or improve my weapons this early in the game?

first part of the game blood drops are really low so i won't use that area to farm, you can do it later with better items for farming
- Is there a point in fighting the big guardian guy that you can get to early in the game if you go left down the stairs where you meet the very first mob, rather than going after that mob? Is there a shortcut or something very useful behind him? I died on him probably 10 times in a row, and I just think I'm not ready to face him yet.

he drops a item (i think it unlocks a trophy) and there was a glitch jump to do there, but i don't knof if they patched it.

- When people say that there are shortcuts in the game, are they talking strictly about the gates that you can open, or are there other kinds of shortcuts? (please be vague if need be, if it's spoilerific to answer this)

shortcuts usually are doors and elevators that lets you skips all the map ang go straight from the lantern to the end of the area.

lunlunqq

1. You can level up early on. But you will one
insight
to do so. Once you obtained 1, go back to the dream and you will see. BTW, you can find a set of armor down in the sewers that is better than the set you can buy in the dream.

2. No. There is nothing behind him or on him.

3. Yup, after you open certain gates, you bypass many enemies and go directly to the boss area from the lantern.

bigmac996

I can't fucking beat Ebrietas, Daughter of the cosmos for the life of me. Every other boss in the main game i didn't have any problem with. Anyone care to help? Or offer me any tips? Whenever i ring the bell the person dies literally within 15 seconds of starting the fight.

Stay right where her left leg tentacle is, behind her arms but sort of against her torso, and just keep the analog stick held toward her. In this spot if you've done it right, her tentacles can't touch you easily. Make sure you dont accidentally slip behind her, just keep pressed against her side. You're on your own with the blue laser though! haha

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
1. You can level up early on. But you will one
insight
to do so. Once you obtained 1, go back to the dream and you will see. BTW, you can find a set of armor down in the sewers that is better than the set you can buy in the dream.
Down in the sewers... can I access that are from where I am now, or do I have to get past the first boss?

Oh, another question. Is there a point fighting a big monster that bangs on that door behind that big burning effigy?

Stay right where her left leg tentacle is, behind her arms but sort of against her torso, and just keep the analog stick held toward her. In this spot if you've done it right, her tentacles can't touch you easily. Make sure you dont accidentally slip behind her, just keep pressed against her side. You're on your own with the blue laser though! haha

The blue laser can be avoided 100% by unlocking from her and sprinting once you hear/see the cues, at least that was my method and it worked. I usually sprinted a straight line, so not sure if you can just sprint any way you please and still avoid.

Also like he said...stay close! I started dodging across her front/chest area now and then and it'll trigger her head smash sometimes. This'll leave her open for hard hits if you're quick.

lunlunqq

Down in the sewers... can I access that are from where I am now?

Oh, another question. Is there a point fighting a big monster that bangs on that door behind that big burning effigy?

Yes, you can access it from the Central Yharnam lantern. It's after that door-banging monster (Nothing special about him either. But if you don't kill him, he will go after if you start to engage other enemies in that area.), go up the stairs where there are a bunch of mobs and two dogs. Kill these guys and go farther up, now you are on the great bridge. Instead of going right which will lead you to the werewolves, go straight and off the bridge. Then to your left there is a path semi-hidden by some crates. You will find a ladder which will lead you to the portion of the sewer that has the armor. You have to kill a few higher level saw/spear mobs (they are easy to parry) including one standing right on top of the armor set, ready to ambush you.

• Anything referencing
    the Great Ones
    the Red Moon
  • Anything you get in
    Cainhurst Castle
  • The
    Queenly Flesh
    Old Hunter's Badge

Or even simpler, an item only gets added to the loading screen "pool" if you've obtained it at some point (for ALL items). It doesn't make sense to know about items you haven't found yet.

This is good to see, gaf was destroying and laughing at my opinion on this a few pages back. It just doesn't make sense to me, items and lore are prefect for loading screens but i don't understand why souls fans demand that they must show off every item in the game, regardless of progress through the story, gaf will continue to laugh at me but it seems crazy not to have items shown be tied to progression through the story.

I love the game as much as the rest of you, but that doesn't mean it's flawless.why not hide some later items, does it really go against the souls tradition?

Also want to comment on patch. The load times feel significantly better, ESPECIALLY now that you actually have something to look at and be entertained by. I didn't find them a hinderance before, but this is a pretty serious improvement to the flow.

Not sure where you're playing, but it's still horrible for me, everytime I ring a bell network connection lost and kicks me to main menu. No problems with any other games.

Huh, I've never even seen a network lost message while playing. When there were problems before the patch it would just be searching indefinitely, even when planning co-op sessions with friends.

-griffy-

Banned
Patch is finally out? What's the typical load time like now?

Normal loading into areas/Hunter's Dream is cut by 2-10 seconds, but respawning after death is cut by 50% or more it seems. Much, much quicker. And the item descriptions on the loading screens helps too, so not only is the literal load time cut down but perceptually it feels even shorter since you have more to look at then the static logo.

Top Bottom