• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

NEO0MJ

You either get Strength & Skill without Arcane, or Arcane on its own. You can't have all three at once.

I thought it was B,B,-,D?

Is there an artbook out for this?

I see that there was one in the Collector's Edition, but was hoping they were selling one separately.

Not yet, I think.

He can be parried easily. Get the timing right and he's easy actually.

Just be careful of the uppercut. The timing for that one can be troublesome.

I thought it was B,B,-,D?
B/B/A, IIRC, but the way Arcane scaling works in this game is that it only scales Arcane, Fire, or Bolt damage, never physical.

When you apply Arcane scaling to a stat of 0, it is still zero.
When you apply physical scaling to a stat of 0, it is still 0.
When you put an elemental or arcane boosting gem on a weapon that doesn't have both, it converts all damage of that weapon into that element, leaving the physical portion as 0.

So you can only get physical only or arcane only with Ludwig's, not both.

Melchiah

Exclusively Threaded Cane including Chalice? What bosses you sub it out it and with what? Kinda curious.

Yep. Although I skipped the Defiled dungeon, and I still haven't beat
Abhorrent Beast
in the Ailing Loran dungeon. As for the main game, I used Tonitrus for
Rom
, and Ludwig for
Ebrietas
on my first playthrough. I tried using Ludwig in the dungeons, but it didn't fair that well as I've grown accustomed to the Cane.

Atlas157

I took a break from the chalice dungeons to fight
Vicar Amelia
on NG+ but for some reason I'm doing garbage damage with a +10 Ludwig's with Fire Paper, is this normal?

Does the cane do more damage against beast enemies? Didnt know that.

Exclusively Threaded Cane including Chalice? What bosses you sub it out it and with what? Kinda curious.

Probably because the TC have serration and most of the enemies down there have not armor at all and be mostly beast

I took a break from the chalice dungeons to fight
Vicar Amelia
on NG+ but for some reason I'm doing garbage damage with a +10 Ludwig's with Fire Paper, is this normal?

Check your blood gems?

It really annoys me, I'm going a skill build and outside of the Threaded Cane I haven't found anothe melee weapon that satisfies my playstyle of wanting to constantly dodge in and out and get some fast hits in to regain health. And looking at the wiki, the three other skill weapons are Blades of Mercy, Burial Blade and Reiterspallach, the former two being really late acquisitions and the latter having a gun form and I have no points in bloodtinge (however i do have the blunderbuss solelt to parry so would that work or is it too bloostinge focused?) Meanwhile strength characters get the kirkhammer, saw cleaver, saw spear, axe, stake driver, rifle spear and Ludwig's Holy blade at the same time while I have nothing except the TC :/

It really annoys me, I'm going a skill build and outside of the Threaded Cane I haven't found anothe melee weapon that satisfies my playstyle of wanting to constantly dodge in and out and get some fast hits in to regain health. And looking at the wiki, the three other skill weapons are Blades of Mercy, Burial Blade and Reiterspallach, the former two being really late acquisitions and the latter having a gun form and I have no points in bloodtinge (however i do have the blunderbuss solelt to parry so would that work or is it too bloostinge focused?) Meanwhile strength characters get the kirkhammer, saw cleaver, saw spear, axe, stake driver, rifle spear and Ludwig's Holy blade at the same time while I have nothing except the TC :/

Skill (and magic) is pretty nerfed in any souls game since you can easily dispatch anything meanwhile STR players gets more variety pretty early, considering you are a Hunter.

Still you can cheat and let the NPC kill the Crow so you can get her weapon pretty early but thats not the way it was designed to get the weapon anyway

1. The Saw Spear actually gets a C skill scaling versus the D STR scaling

2. Ludwig's has high STR requeriment, but alas it has a B/B scaling in STR/Skill, respectively, so you can use it.

3. The Rifle Spear gets a B skill scaling.

Not sure how you got all these 3 weapons as STR weapons.

The blunderbuss is mostly used for non-bloodtinge builds, since has low bt requeriments, it works quite well as parry weapon due to it's larger shoot dispersion and reasonably speed. So don't worry and keep using it, as a STR user on my first character I ended using it instead of the pistol. Just don't waste any upgrading material for it, after all you don't want it for the damage.

After the tower in Old Yharnam spoilers (if you didn't kill him).
After finding out that
all the beasts in the game are actually humans
a lot more things make sense (especially what they say), and now I feel absolutely terrible when playing.

Rifle spear and Retterpellash are both viable without having to invest Bloodtinge. Rifle Spear one handed acts like a Dark Souls spear weapon (and two-handed has the cheesiest R2 charge attack for some of the easiest backstabs) and Retterpellash lets you hold something other than a gun in your left hand (like Cannon, Flamesprayer, Shield, etc) while still being able to shoot to parry.

If you want an early skill option other than Threaded Cane early in the game, Saw Spear is really good as it fits the playstyle you want (high mobility and quick hits) and you can replace it with something else by the time its C scaling starts to show diminishing returns.

Rifle spear and Retterpellash are both viable without having to invest Bloodtinge. Rifle Spear one handed acts like a Dark Souls spear weapon (and two-handed has the cheesiest R2 charge attack for some of the easiest backstabs) and Retterpellash lets you hold something other than a gun in your left hand (like Cannon, Flamesprayer, Shield, etc) while still being able to shoot to parry.

If you want an early skill option other than Threaded Cane early in the game, Saw Spear is really good as it fits the playstyle you want (high mobility and quick hits) and you can replace it with something else by the time its C scaling starts to show diminishing returns.
I guess pumping some points into strength to get access to LHB would be a bit of a waste for him. I did it without regrets early on but ended up ditching the LHB for the BoM and then went back to the cane later on. Cane is a viable weapon for pretty much the entire game. I think with my second character will use the cane until I can get access to the Reiterpallasch though her being a bloodtinge skill mix is going to be a really interesting combo. Chikage kind of interests me as well.

Rom doesn't seem too hard at all. It's tough when he gets down to like a quarter of his health and he starts shooting blue things out of the water and it's basically an insta kill though.

16 strength requirement is practically nothing considering you never have to raise it past that point again, around 7 point investment at worst if you went Professional, 2 points if you went Military Veteran.

Chikage kind of interests me as well.
Apparently Chikage loses its Skill scaling when you transform it into Blood damage.

16 strength requirement is practically nothing considering you never have to raise it past that point again, around 7 point investment at worst if you went Professional, 2 points if you went Military Veteran.

Apparently Chikage loses its Skill scaling when you transform it into Blood damage.
Ugh. Is Reiterpallasch a better option? I do like the skill stat cause it also helps with visceral damage though I do have bloodtinge at 17 currently though it does sound like you have to go full on bloodtinge to get the best out of it but chikage is too late game and makes some of the early bosses a hassle.

Ferr986

Ugh. Is Reiterpallasch a better option? I do like the skill stat cause it also helps with visceral damage though I do have bloodtinge at 17 currently though it does sound like you have to go full on bloodtinge to get the best out of it but chikage is too late game and makes some of the early bosses a hassle.

You can actually get to the Cainhurst Castle once you enter the Forbidden Woods. Then run though the area and summon someone to kill you the boss. There's your early Chikage.

RPGamer92

Banned
God damn, fuck the Watchdog of the old lords. Fought him about 30 times and he keeps killing me. Fuck those one hit KO charge attacks, just fuck them >_<.

I haven't done Bloodtinge yet, but you can probably use that or Rifle Spear (which is a great weapon for skill builds) until you get Evelyn and Chikage, and Skill still scales with Chikage's one handed form.

Meh.

I'm still getting the hang of it, but dosn't seem a bad idea to have a decent amount of skill with the Chikage, the HP consumption means you have to alternate between bloodtinge damage and skill damage. And since the evelyn is as fast as the pistol is still great for visceral damage and parries.

I actually have 24 skill and trying to get my bloodtinge to 40 (for level 80-90)

Ferr986

Meh.

I'm still getting the hang of it, but dosn't seem a bad idea to have a decent amount of skill with the Chikage, the HP consumption means you have to alternate between bloodtinge damage and skill damage. And since the evelyn is as fast as the pistol is still great for visceral damage and parries.

I actually have 24 skill and trying to get my bloodtinge to 40 (for level 80-90)

You just get back to skill mode for recover stamina/running, not for attacking. You basically are in blood mode mere seconds so the HP penalty isn't that big.

You just get back to skill mode for recover stamina/running, not for attacking. You basically are in blood mode mere seconds so the HP penalty isn't that big.

Why wouldn't you one hand it, if you actively use the evelyn for counterattacking and parrying it?

I'm not sure, I don't feel that you have to permantly use the transformed mode.

NEO0MJ

Just beat
Ebreitas
. I feel lucky she didn't use the
arcane attack or the grab in the later part of the fight. She spammed the charge a lot though. I once was left with almost no health. As in, I could barely see any in the bar at all.

Just beat
Ebreitas
arcane attack or the grab in the later part of the fight. She spammed the charge a lot though. I once was left with almost no health. As in, I could barely see any in the bar at all.
I just ran around hugging her ass as she turned around. Put some bolt paper on the threaded cane and just went to work. She didn't last long, I took hits yes, but it wasn't that bad once I got the timing and dodging right.

Ferr986

Why wouldn't you one hand it, if you actively use the evelyn for counterattacking and parrying it?

I'm not sure, I don't feel that you have to permantly use the transformed mode.

I don't really parry with my Bloodtinge build. I only use the gun when I'm in PvP and my rival uses health pots a lot, or when I use a Bone Marrow Ash for ridiculous bullet damage (again, better with high Bloodtinge).

With a BT build your visceral damage are weak due to low SLK, but I don't feel like I need them considering how much damage and how fast Blood mode Chikage does.

Sure, you can use a SKL Chikage build and get parries, but you don't get the most damage out of the weapon. But if your playstyle rely a lot on parries, then go for it.

Just beat
Ebreitas

Ended up semi-cheesing this one today
I had like three insight because I bought a Blood Chunk, so I figured I'd just use a Beast Pellet. Turns out the beast meter will start filling when attacking her during her frames where she turns to fight after you hit her, and, well, a 35 Strength Tonitrus with a ton of stamina to wail on her endlessly made for a very unhappy Elbrietas.

I don't really parry with my Bloodtinge build. I only use the gun when I'm in PvP and my rival uses health pots a lot, or when I use a Bone Marrow Ash for ridiculous bullet damage (again, better with high Bloodtinge).

With a BT build your visceral damage are weak due to low SLK, but I don't feel like I need them considering how much damage and how fast Blood mode Chikage does.

Sure, you can use a SKL Chikage build and get parries, but you don't get the most damage out of the weapon. But if your playstyle rely a lot on parries, then go for it.

Well, I'm still kinda adapting to the chikage, but I like more when I always have my R2 ready for a quick shot or mix swings with shots too, you can destroy enemies like the old keeper that way.

NEO0MJ

Ended up semi-cheesing this one today
I had like three insight because I bought a Blood Chunk, so I figured I'd just use a Beast Pellet. Turns out the beast meter will start filling when attacking her during her frames where she turns to fight after you hit her, and, well, a 35 Strength Tonitrus with a ton of stamina to wail on her endlessly made for a very unhappy Elbrietas.

I can see how that would destroy her. I have a lot of insight, but I want to save it for buying armor you might get from the dungeons.

FUUUUUUUUUCK Martyr Logarius is UNFURIATING. In his second phase I can get far enough away from him to heal before he hits me and interrupts.

Ferr986

Well, I'm still kinda adapting to the chikage, but I like more when I always have my R2 ready for a quick shot or mix swings with shots too, you can destroy enemies like the old keeper that way.

Of course, thats why I said to suit you on your playstyle.
I never used guns much in BB, due to always sucking at parries, so the Blood mode mechanic from the Chikage suits me very well.

Just wanted to point that you neither have to be in blood mode always and you need skill to use. Is all about switching between attackinb (Blood mode) and resting (skill mode). Just like a shield in Dark Souls.

You can actually do that for shooting too, although it's clear is not as fast as having your weapon always ready, especially in PvP. It's more about bone marrow ashing your evelyn ridiculous shot damage.

God damn, fuck the Watchdog of the old lords. Fought him about 30 times and he keeps killing me. Fuck those one hit KO charge attacks, just fuck them >_<.

The dog does two charge attacks full health, another in 70%, 50% and 5% of his health. The last one is pure trolling for you.

FUUUUUUUUUCK Martyr Logarius is UNFURIATING. In his second phase I can get far enough away from him to heal before he hits me and interrupts.

I think his second phase is easier since you can parry him better than his first phase.

NEO0MJ

Did you
backstab him while he's powering up before the second phase? It's supposed to make it easier.

I also wasn't stacking beasthood though, so it didn't actually fill that much.

Oh. Still, low insight with beasthood is supposed to be real strong. I should try it sometime.

Speaking of Tonitrus.. I want to point out that my first time using it I was an arcane character that only put enough strength to qualify for it, and it annihilated everything. I have this Strength character now with like 10 Arcane and Strength in the 30's and it still does an outstanding job.

Tonitrus is a freaking beast even when you don't actually maximize its damage potential.

1. The Saw Spear actually gets a C skill scaling versus the D STR scaling

2. Ludwig's has high STR requeriment, but alas it has a B/B scaling in STR/Skill, respectively, so you can use it.

3. The Rifle Spear gets a B skill scaling.

Not sure how you got all these 3 weapons as STR weapons.

The blunderbuss is mostly used for non-bloodtinge builds, since has low bt requeriments, it works quite well as parry weapon due to it's larger shoot dispersion and reasonably speed. So don't worry and keep using it, as a STR user on my first character I ended using it instead of the pistol. Just don't waste any upgrading material for it, after all you don't want it for the damage.
Yeah I want to use the blunderbuss solely as a parry weapon, do you think I should try and grab the Holy Blade and Rifle Spear then? I would have to increase my points in strength and bloodtinge respectively I think.

Yeah I want to use the blunderbuss solely as a parry weapon, do you think I should try and grab the Holy Blade and Rifle Spear then? I would have to increase my points in strength and bloodtinge respectively I think.
Holy blade is a very respectable weapon and it combines well with the characteristics of the cane.

I only tried Holy Blade and is quite awesome, since you already have the Threaded cane, which works very well as a crowd control weapons (and has serration damage) the Holy Blade is more suited as a powerful (slower) 1 vs 1 weapon (it still has very good range transformed, but the cane excels better in that).

Can't speak for the Rifle Spear.

On an unrelated note:

I don't understand why NG+ people can invade NG people, that's beyond stupid.

Can't speak for the Rifle Spear.
If you've ever used a spear one handed in Dark SOuls or Demon's Souls, then its one handed form is that. Its 2H moveset is like a small quarter staff with a charged R2 that makes the player character charge forward a long distance.

I don't understand why NG+ people can invade NG people, that's beyond stupid.
I don't see why not. You can coop in NG+ as NG characters, for example. It's based only on level.

Finally got the final Chalice Dungeon open, so nearly there with the Platinum Trophy. I can smell it!

I didn't even bother to finish Great Isz, as soon as I got to layer 3 and found the x2 Jelly's that I needed I quit out. I don't really feel bad about it!

So, how's the last Dungeon set then? Toughg :)

If you've ever used a spear one handed in Dark SOuls or Demon's Souls, then its one handed form is that. Its 2H moveset is like a small quarter staff with a charged R2 that makes the player character charge forward a long distance.

I don't see why not. You can coop in NG+ as NG characters, for example. It's based only on level.

Well, they have +10 weapons while I'm not. Seems kinda unfair. Co-op in NG+ with NG seems also stupid, with the upgraded boss HP and low level weapons and gems, you do shit damage.

Just beat
Ebreitas
That makes you feel lucky? To me her
charge attack
was the only dangerous attack she had. The hit box is so obscenely large that even when I spam dodge I usually still get hit.

Top Bottom