• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

So be been playing through the forbidden forest and had quite strong feelings on it. I was making a post here about it, but it ballooned into something else entirely and now it's a thread. I think this game has made me lose my mind.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So be been playing through the forbidden forest and had quite strong feelings on it. I was making a post here about it, but it ballooned into something else entirely and now it's a thread. I think this game has made me lose my mind.

Sorry about that first post, but it seriously tickles my funny bone on how so, so many people called it Forbidden Forest while the actual name is Forbidden Woods, hahaha.

NEO0MJ

Nope. You're on your own.

Maybe it was for the better. I felt so happy killing him, though the blood gained was disappointing. Should have upgraded my weapon but I wanted to save my chunks for the Blades of mercy.

See, it's not that bad isn't it? :D

I really got good in the last few times I fought him. He was always down to a silver of health, but something always screwed m over. There was once a time where the stage turned against me and covered my screen with those curtains.

myco666

It must be! However, truth be told, I'm probably going to level this character to the higher-end of PVP-meta by the end of it. At BL110, my Kirkhammer PVP build is nice and optimized, but I'm thinking I might want to hang with the BL150 crowd too, which is where a balanced Skill+Tinge Chikage build comes in.

150 really? My Chikage build is at 88 and it is already really good in PVP even when using non transformed form.

Just started a Arcane build and was wondering should I try to get any of the lost/uncanny weapons early or are the normal version good enough for Arcane?

Essay

150 really? My Chikage build is at 88 and it is already really good in PVP even when using non transformed form.

Oh, I don't doubt it, but I'm still seeing debate between YouTube uploaders Martyr's Brigade and Praise the Sun about the merits of BL150 PVP, and I'd like to form my own opinion.

Update. Still in Central Yharnam. Took the advice of the forum and skipped the two crazy werewolf beasts on the bridge and headed for the sewer. Got killed in the sewer. I am getting better at the game. I watched some of Epicnamebro's walkthrough just to get more pointers and I'm going to get back in there later this week.

Two things I notice that I do a lot. I lock on to almost every enemy and I keep the saw cleaver in it's extended form all the time. Probably not the best things to do.

I also just realized I could warp back to the Hunter's Dream and buy more supplies like pebbles. Yes, this is going to take me a while. Lol.

I really want to thank you all again for the support. I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Two things I notice that I do a lot. I lock on to almost every enemy and I keep the saw cleaver in it's extended form all the time. Probably not the best things to do.

Yeah I went with the saw cleaver too. Some tips: non extended mode lets you hit a lot quicker. The long mode is good for when there's an enemy you need to keep your distance from, or when there are crowds of guys coming at you the R2 is really good because it's a horizontal swipe instead of a vertical so it can hit them all with one go.

And yeah, don't always lock on. I did that too. Usually when there are multiple targets coming at you you don't want to be locked on, and for some bosses and other enemies rolling and having free camera is better than the dash. Just play around with it and see what works best!

11h in, killed
The One Reborn
at Level 61 or something. I feel like I'm progressing really rapidly. Game is fucking insanely good while I didn't enjoy Dark Souls 2 at all. Didn't even finish it even though DeS and DaS were some of the best game I had ever played.

Reclaimer

Bloodborne or Witcher 3? Really only have time for one right now.

I've heard Witcher is a bit clunky and boring for combat. Anyone here play both?

Arjen

I've heard Witcher is a bit clunky and boring for combat. Anyone here play both?

Bloodborne has the better combat by miles. Witcher will feel really clunky after it.
But Witcher has amazing story and characters, so it really depends what you're looking for.
As a pretty big souls/borne fan. Witcher 3 is my favourite game of the year so far.

3. I am currently for the first time really seriously using Threaded Cane and holy crap it's awesome. Amelia lasted only like 10 seconds with it, hahaha, and the range is just insane. I think this is yet another love affair <3

I am half-thinking of actually just sticking with Threaded Cane, hahaha.
I champion that weapon for a reason, the pimp whip is awesome. I'm even using it on my second character. Hearing about the health chomping of the chikage is making me want to go Threaded Cane/Reiterpallasch for her.

Reclaimer

Is there any weird alternate vision mode in Bloodborne? It really bugs me when games (batman, Witcher, creed) resort to design that changes your view to highlight "clues".... And then you end up running around holding that view mode button down pecking around for glowing red geo instead of playing the game.

myco666

Oh, I don't doubt it, but I'm still seeing debate between YouTube uploaders Martyr's Brigade and Praise the Sun about the merits of BL150 PVP, and I'd like to form my own opinion.

How does the stat distribution go when going that high?

Is there any weird alternate vision mode in Bloodborne? It really bugs me when games (batman, Witcher, creed) resort to design that changes your view to highlight "clues".... And then you end up running around holding that view mode button down pecking around for glowing red geo instead of playing the game.

Nope. You have to actually use your eyes.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Nothing remotely close, and sometimes your natural vision will fail you rather pathetically. There are a lot of cues to danger but you won't be able to catch every single one the first time.

Ferr986

Bloodborne is as "gamey" as it gets. No blatantly highllighted cues, cutscenes, markers, alternate god-vision, etc

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Nope. You have to use your eyes and ears. There are some parts of the game that honestly don't tell you what to do or where to go. You have to figure those things out yourself by reading item descriptions and piecing things together.

Just hearing distinct sounds have saved me multiple times, like hearing the sound of a weapon transformation before an enemy jumps me from behind.

I've also completely missed obvious things like switches just because they blended in with the background before.

You are going to like this game

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh CAN'T DECIDEEEEE.

Threaded Cane + Evelyn.
Threaded Cane + Repeating Pistol.
Chikage + Evelyn.
Chikage + Repeating Pistol.
Reiterpallasch + Repeating Pistol.
Burial Blade + Evelyn.

CANNOT BLOODY DECIDEEEEE :'(

Melchiah

VA was surprisingly challenging on NG+, but managed to beat her on the third try. I was planning to go to Old Yharnam through another route this time, but I just realized I'd have to kill BSB first to
spawn Snatchers
, or defeat R in order to get to DBP via a different route. =/

Both quality games and both very different, if you've got the time to spare I would say go with The Witcher 3, the story is excellent as is the sense of scale and the combat while a bit clunky does have a fair bit of depth to it if you spend the time with it, I don't get why some people compare the 2 games as they are both very different.

Bloodborne is also excellent and it's the first From game i've actually finished but I'm just preferring TW3 as my fave game so far this year.

myco666

Threaded Cane + Evelyn.
Chikage + Evelyn.
Burial Blade + Evelyn.

Are you going for Bloodtinge build or mix it with Skill?

Ludwigs rifle is sweet. I was expecting it to be like a longer range pistol which I would have no use for, but the thing is a damn spray cannon.

Akuun

This game.

I like how
you see crows throughout the game and wonder why they bark like dogs. Then in Nightmare of Mensis, you run into crows with dog heads and suddenly it kind of makes sense in a completely messed up way.

NEO0MJ

Feel like I did everything I wanted. All I have to do before taking on the final boss is beat Ebrietas. Shouldn't be too hard.

Ferr986

I've been cooping lately at the Forbidden Woods and getting invaded is one of the most infuriating things ever in a Souls game.

It's just 20 mins of just keep running behind your invader.

I understand they are at a disavantadge when its 2 vs 1 but my god, I don't even know how they can get fun with this.

I've been cooping lately at the Forbidden Woods and getting invaded is one of the most infuriating things ever in a Souls game.

I understand they are at a disavantadge when its 2 vs 1 but my god, I don't even know how they can get fun with this.

In instances like that, you can probably just ignore them and go straight to the boss, which will send them home.

Ferr986

In instances like that, you can probably just ignore them and go straight to the boss, which will send them home.

I know, the problem is when the host doesn't ignore them lol

I mean, I don't give the fuck, I'm the co-op guy, but it's so annoying lol I'll rather the host to step out and let us do 1 vs 1

Also I'll bet some of them are using chalice gems, seeing their input damage.

E the Shaggy

New Game Plus complaint:

Kind of ticked that I immediately am dropped into New Game Plus after finishing the game. I feel like I still had one or two more things to try to explore within the world. How will this work with DLC? Will I have to grind my way back to that point in Plus or start a new game entirely?

NEO0MJ

New Game Plus complaint:

Kind of ticked that I immediately am dropped into New Game Plus after finishing the game. I feel like I still had one or two more things to try to explore within the world. How will this work with DLC? Will I have to grind my way back to that point in Plus or start a new game entirely?

If it's like past Souls games you can go there during your current playthrough, though it might be late game.

YAY finally got a third blood chunk so i can get my threaded cane to +7... sheesh, at this rate it's not gonna be +10 until next year.

and wow, i got summoned into a chalice dungeon where i get 50k blood echoes in like 2 minutes, just killing the first few enemies, that also seem to drop some good gems. this is nuts! i can level several levels to over 70 in mere minutes. kind of feels like cheating though.. maybe i should erase the dungeon.

Akuun

YAY finally got a third blood chunk so i can get my threaded cane to +7... sheesh, at this rate it's not gonna be +10 until next year.

and wow, i got summoned into a chalice dungeon where i get 50k blood echoes in like 2 minutes, just killing the first few enemies, that also seem to drop some good gems. this is nuts! i can level several levels to over 70 in mere minutes. kind of feels like cheating though.. maybe i should erase the dungeon.
If I feel like I'm getting too many souls, I just spend them on consumables and armor so that I don't overlevel. Stocking up on vials means less chance of needing to stop and farm souls when you're stuck at a difficult boss fight anyway.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Man this game is so ruthless and depressing. On this playthrough I decided to not give the red brooch to the little girl in Central Yharnam to see what happens...

So she asks me to go to a safe place. I tell her about the chapel thinking oh cool maybe I've saved her? But nope, she ends up dead eaten by the sewers pig. :(
But! It gets worse...
I killed Rom and triggered the blood moon, so I go back to Central Yharnam and kill the beast Gilbert turned into to get the clawmark rune. I explore a bit and to my surprise... the little girl's older sister is at the window! So I reluctantly give her the red ribbon, and she is sad but she says "at least I have something to remember her by".

Thinking this might be a bittersweet ending, I reload just in case... only to find her mangled corpse at the bottom of the ladder. ;_;

:'( This game is mean! :'(

This game.

I like how
you see crows throughout the game and wonder why they bark like dogs. Then in Nightmare of Mensis, you run into crows with dog heads and suddenly it kind of makes sense in a completely messed up way.
Haha yeah that was awesome.

On the contrary, I love being invaded there. Spices things up nicely.

Man this game is so ruthless and depressing. On this playthrough I decided to not give the red brooch to the little girl in Central Yharnam to see what happens...

So she asks me to go to a safe place. I tell her about the chapel thinking oh cool maybe I've saved her? But nope, she ends up dead eaten by the sewers pig. :(
But! It gets worse...
I killed Rom and triggered the blood moon, so I go back to Central Yharnam and kill the beast Gilbert turned into to get the clawmark rune. I explore a bit and to my surprise... the little girl's older sister is at the window! So I reluctantly give her the red ribbon, and she is sad but she says "at least I have something to remember her by".

Thinking this might be a bittersweet ending, I reload just in case... only to find her mangled corpse at the bottom of the ladder. ;_;

This game and Witcher 3 has to be some of the saddest games ever.

Did you watched
Gehrman talking in his dreams?
heartbreaking stuff.

Also Chikage got, totally destroyed
Logarius
if only I knew parrying make him so easy the first time.

I wish I could play with invasions active but with no notes.

also should I wait to tackle chalice dungeons until after the main game? also am I right in thinking poison knives are kinda useless? and finally is a blood gem with 2.4% rapid poison on the threaded cane a bad idea? can't tell if it's efficient or not

Ferr986

On the contrary, I love being invaded there. Spices things up nicely.

I dunno, I loved the hide and seek invasions (both as a victim and as a invader) in DS1, but I'm not feeling the "look at me and then start running the shit out of me" for 20 mins of the Forbidden Woods, hoping we'll agro all the map. I'll rather the invader actually hides and try to ambush by surprise than just show himself and run straight to mobs.

As I said though, I understand is more of a problem with the current invasions mechanic (2 vs 1). There's not much option for invaders unless you are really gud/have chalice gems, and of course everyone have their style of invading.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Are you going for Bloodtinge build or mix it with Skill?

Skill/Bloodtinge, with a bit more of bias towards Skill. Need that visceral damage to be at its maximum, hahaha.

Ludwigs rifle is sweet. I was expecting it to be like a longer range pistol which I would have no use for, but the thing is a damn spray cannon.

The delay in-between shots though...

But! It gets worse...

If you walk a few paces away from the older girl after you gave the ribbon, she will say something..... interesting.

There's a very strong implication that
she's only pretending to be the young girl's older sister anyhow.

Threaded Cane + Evelyn.
Chikage + Evelyn.
Burial Blade + Evelyn.

What is your build now? BB, TC and Reiter can all be used on one build.

So is Byrgenwerth an academy of some sort? And doesn't have any relation to the Lecture Hall that is seemingly disconnected from reality? Or should I stop asking questions and find out by playing more...

no one showing up to help with the chalice dungeon ):

I don't think I can beat the Watchdog by myself.

EDIT: I did it all by myself :)
Nicely done :3
Wait till the defiled Watchdog ;) assuming you are not there yet since you just started the forbidden woods.

edit:
So is Byrgenwerth an academy of some sort? And doesn't have any relation to the Lecture Hall that is seemingly disconnected from reality? Or should I stop asking questions and find out by playing more...

From my understanding, Byrgenwerth
was the OG location doing X, Y, Z research of blood and Lecture Hall is formed by Micolash, who left Byrgenwerth?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If you walk a few paces away from the older girl after you gave the ribbon, she will say something..... interesting.

There's a very strong implication that
she's only pretending to be the young girl's older sister anyhow.
Huh what? What does she say?

And why would she die horribly if that's the case? I mean it seemed obvious that she committed suicide after learning of her sister's horrible death... :(

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What is your build now? BB, TC and Reiter can all be used on one build.

I know, I just like to focus on one thing and not spreading it all out.

Currently my new character is 27 Vit 20 End 9 Str 28 SKL 14 Bloodtinge 9 Arcane.

Thinking of pairing Reiterpallasch and Repeating Pistol to get the most out of Bloodtinge (regular shots for parrying can be done with Reiter's R2 mode and it *is* stronger than Evelyn due to Reiterpallasch can be fitted with 3 gems) and Repeating Pistol for the highest damage possible of Blood Marrow Ash-ed shots.

Kind of wanna try Chikage though, hahaha. I imagine it would be difficult to deal however, due to its vampiric nature especially typically Bloodtinge reliance build use blood bullets in greater capacity than other kind of builds. When coupled with Chikage's health drain... hmmm, is the damage of the 2 hand mode compensate enough for this?

Not just an academy... the academy where basically all the people that caused *everything* to happen in Yharnam originated.

Huh what? What does she say?

And why would she die horribly if that's the case? I mean it seemed obvious that she committed suicide after learning of her sister's horrible death... :(

"What a perfect ribbon.... and now it's all mine..." *cue sinister laugh*

If you don't give the Red Jewelled Brooch
to the girl and prod her to go to Oedon's Chapel after beating Father G (only can be done after talking to the Chapel dude), the 1st little girl would say "Thank you Mister/Miss Hunter, I love you almost as much as mom and dad, and grandad!" No mention of a sister at all........

And this is Bloodborne. The universe just seems fond of killing people just for kicks, hahaha.

Top Bottom