• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
"What a perfect ribbon.... and now it's all mine..." *cue sinister laugh*
Huh. I didn't see that at all. I just reloaded immediately though...

If you don't give the Red Jewelled Brooch
to the girl and prod her to go to Oedon's Chapel after beating Father G (only can be done after talking to the Chapel dude), the 1st little girl would say "Thank you Mister/Miss Hunter, I love you almost as much as mom and dad, and grandad!" No mention of a sister at all........

And this is Bloodborne. The universe just seems fond of killing people just for kicks, hahaha.
True,
she doesn't mention the sister. I don't recall her mentioning even a granddad, just "I love you almost as much as mom and dad" (which is heartbreaking to begin with). But still, the little girl's corpse is right there on the platform below. So...

Whatever happened, it's horribly tragic and From Software hates children and happy endings. ;_; lol

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Huh. I didn't see that at all. I just reloaded immediately though...

True,
she doesn't mention the sister. I don't recall her mentioning even a granddad, just "I love you almost as much as mom and dad" (which is heartbreaking to begin with). But still, the little girl's corpse is right there on the platform below. So...

Whatever happened, it's horribly tragic and From Software hates children and happy endings. ;_; lol

She mentioned a grandad. Makes me think that the grandad is
Henryk and Viola is his daughter, marrying his partner.

Yeah, very tragic.
"But at least I can die human" No Gilbert, fuck off, get turned into a beast you stupid fool
(LOL).
The little girl's only option was to be sent to fake Iosefka to die or get eaten by a large boar
(WTF FROM??????????)
Arianna's alien baby...... and then the Dr. Iosefka's fate even after the game implies she's becoming enamored with you (if you ask for multiple Iosefka's blood vials prior to beating Father G you get dialogues that imply this)
.... and then the old granny's fate if she gave you more than 3 sedatives........... etc etc.

Not a SINGLE, SINGLE happy ending! Well, maybe
Gherman and the Doll in the true ending........

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Maybe the
church dude dressed in red? He's a bit creepy but he's actually the only truly harmless and decent character and as far as I know he doesn't have a horrible end or anything.

True, but even he was stricken with great fear and near-crazy state at the end of the game due to how things developed.

Can't have that happiness with no great misery attached, hahaha.

Welp, decided to try my hand a BL4 run. Started off pretty smoothly (to be expected), but died twice to the fucking Witch of Hemwick! She was able to one-hit kill me with her grab attack! That doesn't bode well for my chances against Shadows and Rom. So far I'm actually finding the low stamina more annoying than the low health. I can barely do anything before my character becomes a sitting duck.

NEO0MJ

Say, is progress in the Chalice dungeon saved between playthroughs or do I have to start fresh each time I move to NG+?

MarkusRJR

This game is so good. Played it a little bit at a friend's house and it's so awesome. The faster speed of combat is so hype. Wish DS was like BB in terms of combat speed and regain. If I had money I'd seriously buy a PS4 for BB alone. Hopefully DS3 will be as good. Probably not since it'll be slow again and done by the B-team though. :(

Say, is progress in the Chalice dungeon saved between playthroughs or do I have to start fresh each time I move to NG+?
If I remember correctly, It saves your progress for chalice dungeon when you start NG+. Also the chalice dungeon doesn't scale with NG+ as well. It has its own difficulty which depends on the depth level.

NEO0MJ

If I remember correctly, It saves your progress for chalice dungeon when you start NG+. Also the chalice dungeon doesn't scale with NG+ as well. It has its own difficulty which depends on the depth level.

That's good. I'm considering doing one before I finish the game but wanted to make sure I won't waste my time doing so.

How do I beat that cleric beast?
It's like all those guys who make videos are playing a different game than me.
Everyone says to go behind it, but it has attacks that hit you even when you are behind it.

NEO0MJ

Depth 1-3 will prob be really easy for you btw :p

I already finished the first and central Chalices, need to do lower now. The first boss fight was so sad though.

Everyone says to go behind it, but it has attacks that hit you even when you are behind it.

Do a backdash at the right moment to avoid it. What weapon are you using? If it's the Cane you might have a harder time.

Use the saw cleaver or saw spear since it does 1.20x more damage against beast, oil urms and molotovs.

Pretty much want to stay behind as best as you can. Perhaps on its right side with the smaller arm. Focus on a limb. Each limb has a "armor" that can be broken. By focusing on a limb you will wound a limb, and that limb will take 50% more damage until the Cleric Beast "heals" it. When I say "heal" it doesnt restore HP just restore the "armor" of that limb and it will no longer take more damage unless broken again.

Shooting the head enough time using your gun or throwing knifes will allow you to stagger the boss. Its that chime/bell sound you do when you parry using the gun, allowing you to perform a visceral attack on its head. I dont remember if breaking a limb "armor" will cause a stagger or not.

Eventually the Cleric Beast will "heal" itself, restoring the "armor" that you broken as I mention. When 70% of its health is gone, it will go crazy and attack wildly. keep your distances and use your molotovs then. Be careful of its jumping attack when you are tossing molotovs. The signs are clear when you see it a few times. Either roll forward and let it pass over you. Locking on when you are between a wall can be very bad so try not to be constantly locked on.

Good luck :)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Oil Urn + Molotovs cause good damage to him. And if he's close to you don't lock on and when he jumps or swipes, roll *forward*, deliver some hits, and then just back off. Repeat etc etc.

His attack pattern is very basic real easy to read.

Don't forget you can shoot his head with Hunter Pistol to make him falters for a visceral to the head. Wait till he heals his limbs before you're doing this again. You can also throw molotovs at its head and they will down him also for you to visceral.

Do a backdash at the right moment to avoid it. What weapon are you using? If it's the Cane you might have a harder time.

*Easier time* since Cane's whip mode does extra damage to him *and* can hit his head real easy :)

NEO0MJ

*Easier time* since Cane's whip mode does extra damage to him *and* can hit his head real easy :)

Hmmm. In my first playthrough I used the ax and destroyed him easily. In my second I used the whip and didn't do as much damage. Maybe because I used cane mode. I prefer that for bosses because whip mode is too much of a commitment and against fast bosses with huge range it can be a problem.

I just beat T
he One Reborn
on my 1st. try. I gotta say, it feels pretty fucking sweet. Though I think I might have been a mixture of being over-leveled and some luck. In my panic, I rolled right behind him (between his legs) and I just went to town on him with my +8 Holy Blade. Guy was done in less than two minutes.

Ha! After looking at some Youtube videos, that's apparently one of the most common ways of beating him. Still, fuck it. I'll shamelessly take that W lol.

I know, I just like to focus on one thing and not spreading it all out.

Currently my new character is 27 Vit 20 End 9 Str 28 SKL 14 Bloodtinge 9 Arcane.

Thinking of pairing Reiterpallasch and Repeating Pistol to get the most out of Bloodtinge (regular shots for parrying can be done with Reiter's R2 mode and it *is* stronger than Evelyn due to Reiterpallasch can be fitted with 3 gems) and Repeating Pistol for the highest damage possible of Blood Marrow Ash-ed shots.

Kind of wanna try Chikage though, hahaha. I imagine it would be difficult to deal however, due to its vampiric nature especially typically Bloodtinge reliance build use blood bullets in greater capacity than other kind of builds. When coupled with Chikage's health drain... hmmm, is the damage of the 2 hand mode compensate enough for this?

Not just an academy... the academy where basically all the people that caused *everything* to happen in Yharnam originated.

"What a perfect ribbon.... and now it's all mine..." *cue sinister laugh*

If you don't give the Red Jewelled Brooch
to the girl and prod her to go to Oedon's Chapel after beating Father G (only can be done after talking to the Chapel dude), the 1st little girl would say "Thank you Mister/Miss Hunter, I love you almost as much as mom and dad, and grandad!" No mention of a sister at all........

And this is Bloodborne. The universe just seems fond of killing people just for kicks, hahaha.

Hmm already a bit late for dat min/max then.

Melchiah

Use the saw cleaver or saw spear since it does 1.20x more damage against beast, oil urms and molotovs.

That goes for the Threaded Cane's whip form as well, which I've used to beat the battle on the first playthrough and NG+. On the second time I used fire paper instead of oil urns and molotovs.

Just beat VA on NG+, and noticed that Cane's regular form is better against her. It was easier to stagger her that way.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Does the cane do more damage against beast enemies? Didnt know that.

Hmmm. In my first playthrough I used the ax and destroyed him easily. In my second I used the whip and didn't do as much damage. Maybe because I used cane mode. I prefer that for bosses because whip mode is too much of a commitment and against fast bosses with huge range it can be a problem.

Cane's whip mode is considered as Serrated and cause extra damage to folks weak to it, like practically all the beasts in the game. The cane version, meanwhile, is Righteous so it cause extra damage for folks weak to Church weapons.

In fact, I am quite sure that the Threaded Cane is the only single weapon in Bloodborne with its each mode exploit different weakness respectively.

Hmm already a bit late for dat min/max then.

For Chikage you mean?

Isn't it wise to also raise Skill since you can't feasibly always use it's 2 hand mode due to health drains?

Melchiah

Cane's whip mode is considered as Serrated and cause extra damage to folks weak to it, like practically all the beasts in the game. The cane version, meanwhile, is Righteous so it cause extra damage for folks weak to Church weapons.

In fact, I am quite sure that the Threaded Cane is the only single weapon in Bloodborne with its each mode exploit different weakness respectively.

Which makes it awesome. ;) Although, I've wondered what enemies are weak to church weapons?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Which makes it awesome. ;) Although, I've wondered what enemies are weak to church weapons?

Very few... enemies weak to Righteous:

Lost Child of Antiquity - what everyone calls gargoyles.
Forsaken Castle Spirit (Knife)
Forsaken Castle Spirit (Head)
Bloodlicker
Evil Labyrinth Spirit

So basically Cainhurst and just a single Chalice monster, and that's it (although Bloodlicker can also appear in Chalice I guess). Still... it's there, hahaha.

Melchiah

Very few... enemies weak to Righteous:

Lost Child of Antiquity - what everyone calls gargoyles
Forsaken Castle Spirit (Knife)
Forsaken Castle Spirit (Head)
Bloodlicker
Evil Labyrinth Spirit

So basically Cainhurst and just a single Chalice monster, and that's it (although Bloodlicker can also appear in Chalice I guess). Still... it's there, hahaha.

Good to know, eventhough the Bloodlickers were very challenging with the Cane on my first playthrough. =) And yes, Bloodlickers manifest in the Chalices later on.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Good to know, eventhough the Bloodlickers were very challenging with the Cane on my first playthrough. =) And yes, Bloodlickers manifest in the Chalices later on.

When you think about it, Serrated weapons really are overwhelmingly favored by the game considering there are so many enemies are included in the Beasts category in Bloodborne and a great number of them are bosses.

Making Saw Spear, the only weapon in Bloodborne I believe that has bonus Serrated damage in both its forms, truly something to be reckoned with (and it has Thrust too, unlike Saw Cleaver) and since it is basically a quality weapon with a bias towards SKL... yet another points in the for SKL in SKL vs STR debate in addition to Viscerals, hahaha.

Melchiah

When you think about it, Serrated weapons really are overwhelmingly favored by the game considering there are so many enemies are included in the Beasts category in Bloodborne and a great number of them are bosses.

Making Saw Spear, the only weapon in Bloodborne I believe that has bonus Serrated damage in both its forms, truly something to be reckoned with (and it has Thrust too, unlike Saw Cleaver) and since it is basically a quality weapon with a bias towards SKL... yet another points in the for SKL in SKL vs STR debate in addition to Viscerals, hahaha.

True. VA seemed to be an exception, as she went down more easily with the Cane form.

I'd really like to try the Saw Cleaver/Spear, but sadly I've spent all of my blood chunks on the Cane, Ludwig, and Evelyn.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
True. VA seemed to be an exception, as she went down more easily with the Cane form.

I'd really like to try the Saw Cleaver/Spear, but sadly I've spent all of my blood chunks on the Cane, Ludwig, and Evelyn.

Really? Two nights ago I fought her with my new character using Threaded Cane's whip mode exclusively (+ fire paper of course )

She went down so fast I was kind of stunned when the Prey Slaughtered text showed up, and my character is not even overleveled for her. Very surprising that it was that effective.

Making Saw Spear, the only weapon in Bloodborne I believe that has bonus Serrated damage in both its forms, truly something to be reckoned with (and it has Thrust too, unlike Saw Cleaver)
Saw Cleaver is used for speedruns, and the only time the transformed mode comes into play is during transformation attacks (which are usually used to build beast meter or against human enemies anyway).

Saw Cleaver/Spear both completely wreck the first half of the game.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Saw Cleaver is used for speedruns, and the only time the transformed mode comes into play is during transformation attacks (which are usually used to build beast meter or against human enemies anyway).

Saw Cleaver/Spear both completely wreck the first half of the game.

Functionally they are really, really similar. I see no difference between Saw Cleaver/Saw Spear if folks are using it exclusively in its short form, and they even both have similar transformation attack when the blade extends.

I suppose Saw Cleaver offers a somewhat higher attack power is the reason behind the bolded? For general play I always favor Saw Spear though.

Ferr986

For Chikage you mean?

Isn't it wise to also raise Skill since you can't feasibly always use it's 2 hand mode due to health drains?

You just need to switch back to 1h when you're done with the enemies or need to recover stamina in a boss fight.
Considering the transformation (1h to 2h) attack deals huge damage, enemies will go down really fast, so you won't really notice the health drain if you keep transforming the weapon. Opening with that attack is key for the overall damage of the chikage IMO.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You just need to switch back to 1h when you're done with the enemies or need to recover stamina in a boss fight.
Considering the transformation (1h to 2h) attack deals huge damage, enemies will go down really fast, so you won't really notice the health drain if you keep transforming the weapon. Opening with that attack is key for the overall damage of the chikage IMO.

Hmmm... so if I go Skill/Bloodtinge with more bias towards Skill it's not really optimum then, at least in terms of damage dealing, to use Chikage?

Urgh, I really hate their decision to let SKL affects Visceral Damage, gimping builds that do not rely on SKL, urgh.

Functionally they are really, really similar. I see no difference between Saw Cleaver/Saw Spear if folks are using it exclusively in its short form, and they even both have similar transformation attack when the blade extends.

I suppose Saw Cleaver offers a somewhat higher attack power is the reason behind the bolded? For general play I always favor Saw Spear though.

It's actually because the Saw Spear takes time to get, but yeah the extra power might help a bit too.

Ferr986

Hmmm... so if I go Skill/Bloodtinge with more bias towards Skill it's not really optimum then, at least in terms of damage dealing, to use Chikage?

IMO, yes. You'll get the most with a BLT Chikage. L1 to R1 is the best combo of the weapon.

My Chikage build doesn't have SKL, and it's true that my visceral attacks sucks lol
But the Blood mode Chikage is a beast. And it's also a lot of fun to use IMO because you're more active in battle with the constant switching.

I think a SKL Chikage can be viable too. Hell even with no SKL my Chikage does good in NG. But the Blood mode is the biggest strength point of the weapon.

Melchiah

Really? Two nights ago I fought her with my new character using Threaded Cane's whip mode exclusively (+ fire paper of course )

She went down so fast I was kind of stunned when the Prey Slaughtered text showed up, and my character is not even overleveled for her. Very surprising that it was that effective.

Yeah, she went down more easily on NG+ yesterday, when I changed to cane from the whip form. It seemed like it was easier to stagger her that way.

I'm pretty overleveled after eight chalice dungeons though. Currently at level 169. =)

dralla

I'm level 40 and I haven't changed weapons or armor yet, is this common? I have about 40K souls and I can buy the Ludwig sword for 20K but my Axe+6 with blood gems has been kicking ass. Is it worth it just for the sake of trying a new weapon? Also, I pumped a lot of points into Skill but it's really not that beneficial as Strength seems much more useful. Did I dun goof?

Melchiah

I'm level 40 and I haven't changed weapons or armor yet, is this common? I have about 40K souls and I can buy the Ludwig sword for 20K but my Axe+6 with blood gems has been kicking ass. Is it worth it just for the sake of trying a new weapon? Also, I pumped a lot of points into Skill but it's really not that beneficial as Strength seems much more useful. Did I dun goof?

For me it was. I've used the Threaded Cane exclusively, apart from two boss fights, and pretty much the same goes for the outfits. I only changed the outfit, when I needed more resistance for a certain area or boss.

EDIT: Skill is more useful for visceral strikes. You should put more points to strength though, if you're going to use the axe, Ludwig, or other strength-based weapons.

A minor correction, but Ludwig's is B/B Strength/Skill, so it's not really a "strength" weapon (which is why it is so good, you cna be a Skill based character and still throw it into your build).

NEO0MJ

Ludwig's blade is godly. Insane attack, reach, and arc. Super easy to use, too. And like Kitten said it benefits from strength and skill, as well as arcane. Plus it can be buffed.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
For me it was. I've used the Threaded Cane exclusively, apart from two boss fights, and pretty much the same goes for the outfits. I only changed the outfit, when I needed more resistance for a certain area or boss.

EDIT: Skill is more useful for visceral strikes. You should put more points to strength though, if you're going to use the axe, Ludwig, or other strength-based weapons.

Exclusively Threaded Cane including Chalice? What bosses you sub it out it and with what? Kinda curious.

SoldnerKei

finally got the game, I just beat the
Cleric Beast
just pulled off that rip-off-it's-face attack once thou, dunno If I could do it constantly, I am really liking the game,
Gascoigne
has been kicking my ass thou

finally got the game, I just beat the
Cleric Beast
just pulled off that rip-off-it's-face attack once thou, dunno If I could do it constantly, I am really liking the game,
Gascoigne
has been kicking my ass thou
He can be parried easily. Get the timing right and he's easy actually.

Donos

Yesterday was the day to "git gud". After several defeats i took a minute to think about why i kept dying at Defiled Chalice Amygdala and "poof" i finally beat that fucker.
Bye Bye defiled chalice !!!!!!! These bosses with that little health were really something...

Now for the missing Red jellies and ritual blood (5) to get to the Great Pthumeru Ihyll Chalice.
Almost there. After defiled , heaving that much health is really like easy mode.

Top Bottom