• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Took a break after my last harrowing defeat and came back refreshed, plugged in the headphones and went full tryhard mode. Managed to kill the bellend in the tower (he fell to his death after an MLG dodge by me) and I also unlocked the shortcut. I then cleaned out the area with those two massive mobs but I didn't find anything apart from a gate that needed a special emblem to open. I guess now I need to face my fears and go for the 3rd boss near the shortcut, I haven't seen him yet. I also managed to level my axe to +3 and I gained a few levels as well. I learned that the torch is amazing against those dog men as they get scared and you can just free hit them. I hadn't used it up until that point. Oh and while I'm rambling should I just keep putting points into strength and vitally? Is there a point where skill outweighs strength for the axe? And is stamina worth getting for the resistance?

For axe, just keep putting points into strength, skill doesn't do as much for that. The main point of endurance is the stamina. If you're worried about resistance, generally armor will help the most with that, and later certain types of items will help that you haven't discovered yet. As for vitality, putting points into that is never a bad idea.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Strength and vitality it is then, with some stamina thrown in for god measure. Does anyone know how many points you need to put into stamina to get one more swing from a full bar? That seems like a good goal without going overboard.

Strength and vitality it is then, with some stamina thrown in for god measure. Does anyone know how many points you need to put into stamina to get one more swing from a full bar? That seems like a good goal without going overboard.

I don't know the exact math, and it depends on your weapon, but the difference between 20 and 30 stamina for example is massive, even moreso if you're using stamina boosting runes.

It's why you can get away with modest stamina and putting points to other stats because you have so much to work with.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know the exact math, and it depends on your weapon, but the difference between 20 and 30 stamina for example is massive, even moreso if you're using stamina boosting runes.

It's why you can get away with modest stamina and putting points to other stats because you have so much to work with.

I'm reading lots of people suggesting 30/25/25 (vit, stam, strength) as a good starting point.

I'm reading lots of people suggesting 30/25/25 (vit, stam, strength) as a good starting point.

Sounds like a mid game distribution. Late game/chalices would be something like 45-50 Vit, 25-30 Stam, and roughly 40 points (added onto class base) distributed between whatever attack stats you're using.

And Platinum. Fantastic game. It was only a couple of weeks ago I was in here complaining about Paarl :p This game didn't feel as substantial as Dark Souls or Demon Souls to me but I do feel it's the better designed game. Might go through some more chalice dungeons. The combat just feels so good. I just hope when I play The Witcher 3 next week that it doesn't feel horribly sluggish in comparison.

And Platinum. Fantastic game. It was only a couple of weeks ago I was in here complaining about Paarl :p This game didn't feel as substantial as Dark Souls or Demon Souls to me but I do feel it's the better designed game. Might go through some more chalice dungeons. The combat just feels so good. I just hope when I play The Witcher 3 next week that it doesn't feel horribly sluggish in comparison.

I have bad news.

Terrific game otherwise, but damn how I miss BB combat.

yeah. play the optional areas though. beat amygdala, go through cainhurst. go through u
pper
y
arnham
. that's a good chunk of extra content with a bunch of bosses

Nice. Will I be able to tell if I'm about to beat the final boss and progress too far to do the optional stuff?

Bloodsucking%20Beast%20Pose.jpg

Ran into these bastards again towards the end of the final chalice dungeon, god damnit they are so freaky

Amygdala down! Wow the last part is easy if you just stay under her and attack her legs. Now making my way through cainhurst!

For what it's worth I think that estimate is too high. I'd put you more like 65-75% through.

Either way it sounds like I've got a good bit of game left with all the optional stuff!

Bloodsucking%20Beast%20Pose.jpg

Ran into these bastards again towards the end of the final chalice dungeon, god damnit they are so freaky

Yeah I'm going through cainhurst now, and even though the area itself is totally Bram Stoker inspired (even the carriage ride!) the enemies so far are interesting twists on vampire stuff. Making some of them ticks is a delightfully macabre, and makes total sense as well.

AHA-Lambda

Started playing this yesterday and even as a Souls veteran this is kicking my arse!

I've got to say if anything the difficulty this time around is actually putting me off, I hate that I find my self grinding for health items constantly when I'm trying to get past tough areas, namely the first 2 bosses.

Also I'm currently stuck at Gascoigne and he's pummelling me, I can't get past his bloody beast mode and my items are now dwindling. Why can't I have my shield and estus flasks back? >_<

Anyway, rant over, has anyone got advice for gascoigne?
And please tell me this game gets a bit more manageable as it goes on =/

For what it's worth I think that estimate is too high. I'd put you more like 65-75% through.

he really only has
the one reborn boss battle. and nightmare of mensis
to complete. you'd call that 25-35% of the game?

Nice. Will I be able to tell if I'm about to beat the final boss and progress too far to do the optional stuff?

i think it's pretty obvious when the end-game is about to begin

Kamina

Golden Boy
Started playing this yesterday and even as a Souls veteran this is kicking my arse!

I've got to say if anything the difficulty this time around is actually putting me off, I hate that I find my self grinding for health items constantly when I'm trying to get past tough areas, namely the first 2 bosses.

Also I'm currently stuck at Gascoigne and he's pummelling me, I can't get past his bloody beast mode and my items are now dwindling. Why can't I have my shield and estus flasks back? >_<

Visceral attacks are the bane of Gascoigne in Human mode, Beast mode is best done when using the
Music box
as soon as he trasnforms and then taking the chance to backstab.
And no, it will only get harder.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

I suck but did him easily after learning two things, hide behind stuff, yes he'll break it in phase 3 but it'll give you enough time to use the music box and charge attack him, also Molotov's trivialise him, create space and burn him up.

mulac

So here is whats literally just happened.

Been stuck on Martyr Logarius at Cainhurst pretty much the last week; playing thhr game sporadically in evenings for an hour or so and he has consistently kicked my butt.

Played last night for a good 2 hours and still no luck. Keep getting him down to half but cant conpete with his fast phase 2 attacks.

As i headed into my 3rd hour i decided to go explore Bygonwerth instead. Made it to ROM (ran past the hunter with the theaded cane...will come back to her later) and....kept dying...and dying...

After much swearing and nearly breaking my controller in half called it a night.

So now here we are. Fired up Bloodborne 45min ago and decided my plan of attack would be to beat ROM first, then level up some before getting back to Logarius.

Beat ROM in 6min, no problems...holy shit.
Decided to try my luck and play dangerously...went straight to Cainhurst.
Beat Logarius in just under 8min. Not a single problem, everything just worked i was a smooth killing machine.

What the hell???
Dear god i love this game, is this what drug addiction is like??? I havent played a SINGLE OTHER game in the month or so since i bought this, that includes Witcher 3.

Turned it off for the night but im sitting here with a big stupid smile on my face and its possible there was some high fiving with my wife (who doesnt know what just happened.)

This is my game of the decade. No question.
Tomorrow i will explore this "lecture hall" thats opened up...any suggestions on stuff to do before that?

I was surprised that there were
no "vampires"
in this game. The
Pthumerian Descendant
looks a lot like one however, but I'm not sure. Huh.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I think I'm at endgame. The
house in the Hunter's Dream is burning and the Doll is telling me to meet Gherman
. So now I'm just going around seeing if I can find any optional areas I missed.

I found the area in
Nightmare of Mensis where you run past the gigantic eyeball cluster thing
, and so far this is my equivalent of Dark Souls 1's Anor Londo archers. This place is fucking brutal.
The giant eyeball thing drains health and applies Frenzy so fast that even if I survive running past him, I burn through a shitton of vials. And right after that, I have to fight that eyeball guy in the next room, who is probably the hardest enemy I've seen in the game so far
. And that bastard has killed me every single time I've survived to fight him. I've died to this section more than I have to the past few bosses combined.

His beast mode is tough but a lot of his attacks are combos (meaning that if you're far away, you can parry while he's whiffing a bunch of swipes), and charge forward (meaning if you're close, it's safer to try to circle behind him than it is to back off).

And if it makes you feel any better, I found Father G. to be one of the tougher bosses in the game so far. Maybe it's because I'm getting more used to the game, but I had an easier time facing most of the bosses after him. Of course, were a few that are tougher than him though.

The sweet point in every stat is 25-30 and the soft cap at 50 in most of the stats.

I recommend you to aim for 30 point in the desired stat and later upgrade it if you need

he really only has
the one reborn boss battle. and nightmare of mensis
to complete. you'd call that 25-35% of the game?
The game overall is really not that long when you break it down like that. He's got
"areas" left with (most likely)
bosses. Up to this point he's done 3-4 main path "areas" with 5-6 main path bosses. (I'm counting Byrgenwerth as half an area because lol Byrgenwerth.)

The game overall is really not that long when you break it down like that. He's got
"areas" left with (most likely)
bosses. Up to this point he's done 3-4 main path "areas" with 4-5 main path bosses. (I'm counting Byrgenwerth as half an area because lol Byrgenwerth.)

The bosses I've beaten so far are:
Cleric Beast
Father G
BSB
Witch of Hemwick
Vicar Amelia
Shadow of Yarnham
Rom
Amygdala

Finally got the Platinum! I loved the combat, atmosphere and even the story. I really hope Dark Souls 3 lives up to BB because I tried out Scholars of the First Sin and it was way to slow for me. This is also the first Platinum I got that isn't an anime game lol.

Is there a faster path to get to Logarius? Got absolutely shitrocked by him and don't really want to have to bound around on rooftops after the shortcut to get my ass kicked again :/

Cainhurst castle is a fantastic area, I just wish it were a little longer (unless I've missed some stuff). The ghosts are cool but aren't that fun to fight though. I love the old guys with the rapiers though, lots of fun to spar with and laying them on their asses with Ludwig's rifle never gets old.

Took a brake from Cainhurst and gained access to the upper cathedral ward! It's pretty spooky with the music and weird fetus things. Got destroyed by three of those big Lycans at once and found that to be a good stopping point for today.

Can you coop in Chalice Dungeons?

This game just gets better and better. Now I can finally coop with my brother we have so much fun going through it piece by piece. Just got done with
Old Yarhnam
and I loved it.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Is there a faster path to get to Logarius? Got absolutely shitrocked by him and don't really want to have to bound around on rooftops after the shortcut to get my ass kicked again :/
That's the fastest way I know of, though I don't know the game very well. I'd love to know of a faster route too.

I take the shortcut elevator, run past the ghosts, take out that blowgun guy on the little step ladder, climb the ladder, then bound on the rooftops until I get to the boss again.

YES! YES YES YES YES YES I BEAT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got the good ending.
ResonanceofFateVashyronsDanceBeginn.gif

Congratz! Praise the moon!

Mmm

First lamp post, go right to the elevator shortcut, run past the screaming ladies, take the stairs like fast, past the gargoyles then go down the rooftops ala half life 2, logarious

Defiled Chalice is a lot easier once you realize that enemies have reduced damage as well (except for elemental damage) and that they don't throw as many mean things at you as other tier 4 dungeons will.

It's a good feeling to beat W
atchdog
first try.

mulac

Hmm I think I screwed up.
After beating ROM I woke up in some room with nothing but a hideous monster hanging over me (Amygadala?).

I started running forward but he grabbed me in a portal thing and killed me - then I woke up in the Lecture Room.

Have I missed something?? Is this the right next step in progression?

Soulhouf

Hmm I think I screwed up.
After beating ROM I woke up in some room with nothing but a hideous monster hanging over me (Amygadala?).

I started running forward but he grabbed me in a portal thing and killed me - then I woke up in the Lecture Room.

Have I missed something?? Is this the right next step in progression?

You can continue in the Lecture Building and go to the Nightmare Frontier. Very atmospheric and interesting optional area.
To go back to were Amygdala grabbed you, go to the Cathedral Ward and instead of entering the hall were you fought Amelia, turn right.

Rush_Khan

I accidentally completed the game last night (I really hate how these games don't tell you) and plan on playing NG+. I'm level 81 starting again.

What's the recommended level for playing NG+? I'd like to summon others to help breeze through some of the tougher bosses. Should I carry on leveling up?

How should I go about sending people to Odoen Chapel or the clinic. *Spoilers for the Game*
I sent everyone to Odoen Chapel and never accessed Iosefka clinic via Forbidden woods since I avoided walk-throughs throughout my first playthroughs. But that beast guy outside the chapel ended up killing everyone. So should I send everyone to the clinic instead this time?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I accidentally completed the game last night (I really hate how these games don't tell you) and plan on playing NG+. I'm level 81 starting again.

What's the recommended level for playing NG+? I'd like to summon others to help breeze through some of the tougher bosses. Should I carry on leveling up?

How should I go about sending people to Odoen Chapel or the clinic. *Spoilers for the Game*
I sent everyone to Odoen Chapel and never accessed Iosefka clinic via Forbidden woods since I avoided walk-throughs throughout my first playthroughs. But that beast guy outside the chapel ended up killing everyone. So should I send everyone to the clinic instead this time?

Level 81 is fine. Can be tough in few places, but nothing too difficult. In any event many on here will be glad to help you progress if you find any roadblocks, myself included :) Add me if you want: LaughingBanana

As to who to send where,
arguably you can get greater rewards by sending the cynical man (don't forget to answer the opposite of the place you want him to go to) and the old lady to the Clinic, if you don't care about feeling sort of bad, hahaha. Keep Arianna and Adella in the Chapel, and always send the Cannibal to the Clinic.

NEO0MJ

As to who to send where,
arguably you can get greater rewards by sending the cynical man (don't forget to answer the opposite of the place you want him to go to) and the old lady to the Clinic, if you don't care about feeling sort of bad, hahaha. Keep Arianna and Adella in the Chapel, and always send the Cannibal to the Clinic.

I think it's better to send the old lady to the chapel. She gives a lot of sedatives after all.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I think it was 5. She wanders once and comes back but when she wanders a second time she's killed, though she still has one last sedative to give.

Hmmm, yeah I think you're correct.

Anyways, 5 of those is not that big of a deal. I'd rather have 2 blue elixirs and 2 insights hehehe, though I never actually send her to that place, I am not heartless! Hahaha.

Is it possible to beat the game without beating the
cleric beast
?
I've just beaten
father what'shisname
, and in a hindsight I could reach him without beating the
cleric beast
first.

NEO0MJ

Hmmm, yeah I think you're correct.

Anyways, 5 of those is not that big of a deal. I'd rather have 2 blue elixirs and 2 insights hehehe, though I never actually send her to that place, I am not heartless! Hahaha.

You're right about that, but
to get the blue elixer and insight you have to give up everyone, including Ariana.

Is it possible to beat the game without beating the
cleric beast
?
I've just beaten
father what'shisname
, and in a hindsight I could reach him without beating the
cleric beast
first.

It depends.
There's a point in the game where you have to choose between clearing either this boss or another one to continue the game. Either you buy a key that's only purchasable for 10k after beating this boss or you defeat a boss that's reached y overcoming an entire new area. The choice is yours.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You're right about that, but
to get the blue elixer and insight you have to give up everyone, including Arianna

What? No. The reward changes to blue elixir and 2 insights for anyone, even if it's just one person, sent there as long as you get the dialogue "how did you worm your way in here?" but left without confronting her.

NEO0MJ

What? No. The reward changes to blue elixir and 2 insights for anyone, even if it's just one person, sent there as long as you get the dialogue "how did you worm your way in here?" but left without confronting her.

Oh, I thought that was just the final reward. Didn't send anyone there myself.

Top Bottom