• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Amelia is the only boss I've had to co-op so far haha. She's awesome, but she was sooooo hard for me.

You are supposed to beat her after the W
itch
, Old yharman and B
lood starving beast

Hm, that's where I am (I beat
the one reborn
).

I know there's a ton of optional stuff I missed (though I've done some for sure) and I really don't want to beat the game without realizing it. How do I recognize the point of no return? Should I not go through NoM yet?

I definitely missed some stuff prior to killing Rom, but whatever. Things I know I want to see but have no idea how or where to go:
  • Patches after he knocked me into the pit, I know I can see him again, where?
  • How to find Iosefka's clinic. Is it where all the Celestials were in the Forbidden Woods? I hate that area, haha.
  • More Alfred/Logarius stuff? I've only spoken to Alfred a couple of times...
and anything else I should really see first playthrough that I don't know about. point me in the right direction(s)?

1.- After the Reborn go forward and look for a body that will take you to the upper library section, look for a giant with fire fists for a ladder and you will meet him finally

2.- Forbideen woods in the part where you see some dogs caged, look for a hidden path to the left

3.- Look for the cainhurst castle defeat the boss there and unlock the secret area after
using a crown, look for a letter and give it to Alfred, then return to the queen

spliced

I finally played so much of the main game that I'm desperate enough to really dig into the chalice dungeons. I had played through the first 2 Pthumeru dungeons but never went back until now. Lower Pthumeru seems like a big step up in difficulty.

I'll play through the non-root dungeons but I don't see myself doing much more than that. The dungeons look pretty nice at first but seeing the same stuff over and over starts to get boring, it's weird to pair this in a game so much about quality level design. The chests are a constant stream of disappointment, finding CD items is almost as bad as getting chest rupees in Zelda. The thing I don't get is I thought all non-root CD were the same for everybody, why take (nearly) all the online play out of it, if any area needs the help from notes and bloodstains to liven it up it's the CD.

There has been a few cool touches and surprises. The mound of
pigs
was hilarious, the
Cainhurst fleas
surprised the heck out of me since I explore the areas pretty thoroughly. The bosses have some differences which I like,
Rom only had 2 forms
. Last but not least there are
illusory walls WTH! lol

mulac

Made it to Yahar'gul, Unseen Village last night (After beating ROM).
GODDAMN the regen...Gave up after getting utterly destroyed by some floating laser thing.

Wandered up to the Cathedral area where I beat Vicar Amelia and had a wonderful fight with another hunter - who I got down to 2% then she unleashed some crazy spinning attack and I died fast...which made me sad.

Then I had a look around the Lecture Halls...

What's the "next logical" area after beating ROM as there seems to be some options now...also I MUST be near the end, right?
Not touching walkthroughs for this one till I move to NG+

Going to grind some echoes and level up/buy the cainhurst armour/uplevel weapons before progressing I think.

I thought the chalice dungeons would be fun and varied

i was wrong

do they get much better at depths lower than 3? because right now they're a tedious bore

Made it to Yahar'gul, Unseen Village last night (After beating ROM).
GODDAMN the regen...Gave up after getting utterly destroyed by some floating laser thing.

Wandered up to the Cathedral area where I beat Vicar Amelia and had a wonderful fight with another hunter - who I got down to 2% then she unleashed some crazy spinning attack and I died fast...which made me sad.

Then I had a look around the Lecture Halls...

What's the "next logical" area after beating ROM as there seems to be some options now...also I MUST be near the end, right?
Not touching walkthroughs for this one till I move to NG+

Going to grind some echoes and level up/buy the cainhurst armour/uplevel weapons before progressing I think.

After defeating rom you already completed like 2/3 of the game then you get teleported to the unseen village, go there and beat the boss to progress the story next area.

i was wrong

do they get much better at depths lower than 3? because right now they're a tedious bore

It became harder but most of the non root chalices are kinda boring outside the defiled and the desert chalice compared to the root version where you can find special enemies with modifier to make the chalice harder

i was wrong

Pthumeru, Central Pthumeru and Hintertomb are piss easy depending on your level...Lower Pthumeru...fuck...especially when you get to Layer 3.

It's amazing how short this game seems on my NG+ playthrough. I think my first playthrough was around 30-35 hours. On NG+, I'm already at Forbidden Woods after 5 hours.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Spoiler 1 - you can talk to him after you beat the one reborn - go up the stairs and inspect the mummy
Shit, I've long left the one reborn boss room behind. Did I screw myself?
Spoiler 2 - it is a back entrance out of the Forbidden woods - look it up on the wiki, it explains how to get there
Ah okay. i guess I'll defile myself with a video or so. I hate the forbidden woods, it totally freaks me out.
Spolier 3 - still working on that myself, I assume you have beaten Castle Cainhurst?
Nooooope. Don't even know how to get there.
Last one - I'm working on clearing out the Upper Cathedral Ward, and then will head to probably fight amgydala - wiki also has a good layout of where to go at certain points.
So weird, I killed Amygdala, haven't been to Upper Cathedral Ward. haha
Also - What's up man - long time no talk --- hit me up on PSN if you wanna co-op (this or Destiny) -- tlester19

holy shit vossler. What's up! I'll send you an FR now.

Shit, I've long left the one reborn boss room behind. Did I screw myself?

Ah okay. i guess I'll defile myself with a video or so. I hate the forbidden woods, it totally freaks me out.

Nooooope. Don't even know how to get there.

So weird, I killed Amygdala, haven't been to Upper Cathedral Ward. haha

holy shit vossler. What's up! I'll send you an FR now.

A lantern always shows up after you beat a boss, so to get back to where you fought One Reborn, you just select one of the places on the Unseen headstone in Hunter's Dream. Not sure what the place is called though. For Cainhurst Castle, just go to Iosefka's Clinic via Forbidden Woods, and you might figure how to get there, though it is obscure.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Just finished NG+ Gascoigne, it's safe to say the only thing that makes him a challenge is his wolf form.

It's quite jarring how easy I found him on New Game+ after horrific experiences of 1st time encounter with him in the past, heh.

With parries, he's basically reduced to insignificance really effectively.

Anyways, currently on the Snake Forest of New Game+. Decided to just use Chikage as my 2nd weapon complementing my Threaded Cane.

Still maining my +10 Cane with +6 Blunderbuss for general purpose adventuring + humanoid bosses and +9 Repeating Pistol for larger folks/bosses.

Dibbs

Finally beat it. Feel so empty now tho... I forgot there's a NG+ part in the Souls game and thought I could just farm forever in the end game. Noooooo!

Melchiah

It became harder but most of the non root chalices are kinda boring outside the defiled and the desert chalice compared to the root version where you can find special enemies with modifier to make the chalice harder

I thought the later ones offered few welcome changes to the areas, especially Isz chalice. The three Pthumerus and two Hintertombs, that I went through first, were pretty repetitive though.

What's Desert chalice?

It's quite jarring how easy I found him on New Game+ after horrific experiences of 1st time encounter with him in the past, heh.

With parries, he's basically reduced to insignificance really effectively.

Anyways, currently on the Snake Forest of New Game+. Decided to just use Chikage as my 2nd weapon complementing my Threaded Cane.

Still maining my +10 Cane with +6 Blunderbuss for general purpose adventuring + humanoid bosses and +9 Repeating Pistol for larger folks/bosses.
+10 Cane and +8 Burial Blade for me, it's a nice change up. I lost some speed by ditching the Blades of Mercy, but the Burial Blade has good reach, knock down ability and power. It's a stamina drain yes, but I think as I learn to not be greedy with the damn thing it's pretty good, it's good for crowd control too, but slower than the whip. Also running around with the Hunters Pistol at +5 now too for better ranged parries, does decent damage too, just need to raise my bloodtinge more.

NEO0MJ

Also running around with the Hunters Pistol at +5 now too for better ranged parries, does decent damage too, just need to raise my bloodtinge more.

I was surprised by how good the Hunter Pistol is. I'd thought there'd be a better pistol later but the only one better requires that you invest enough blood to reach Bloodtinge lv.30 before it becomes superior to the regular hunter pistol. Though that makes it the perfect partner for the Chikage.

Edit: Though I guess the repeating is stronger than both, but that burns through ammo so fast.

I was surprised by how good the Hunter Pistol is. I'd thought there'd be a better pistol later but the only one better requires that you invest enough blood to reach Bloodtinge lv.30 before it becomes superior to the regular hunter pistol. Though that makes it the perfect partner for the Chikage.

Edit: Though I guess the repeating is stronger than both, but that burns through ammo so fast.
Do people cap off their leveling for PVP purposes? You kind of can just max everything out. Does seem like god damn over kill though.

I thought the later ones offered few welcome changes to the areas, especially Isz chalice. The three Pthumerus and two Hintertombs, that I went through first, were pretty repetitive though.

What's Desert chalice?

The Isz chalice is the desert one. The Aloran chalice have some swamps

Do people cap off their leveling for PVP purposes? You kind of can just max everything out. Does seem like god damn over kill though.

Yep, they could be a little overleveled and couldnt find opponents in their reach, still not sure how it works now if the no level restriction for summons work for invasions

I feel like as a skill build I'm missing out a bit by not leveling up bloodtinge and using guns more

also between the two starter guns, Ludwig's Rifle and the Repeating Pistol, what would be my best bet? What are the differences?

also also, is it worth leveling my arcane up to 15 so I can use some of those neat items? finally, why can't I ring the beckoning bell in the cathedral ward to help fight that hunter?

Jombie

also between the two starter guns, Ludwig's Rifle and the Repeating Pistol, what would be my best bet? What are the differences?

The pistol and blunderbuss are the starting firearms, and there's not much difference unless you want to utilize parrying - in which case the pistol is quicker and has the better parry window.

But unless you're doing a bloodtinge build and wanting to do actual damage with guns, then it just comes down to preference.

also also, is it worth leveling my arcane up to 15 so I can use some of those neat items?

The empty phantasm shell is the only one worth using. The other "spells" are fairly useless.

I feel like as a skill build I'm missing out a bit by not leveling up bloodtinge and using guns more

also also, is it worth leveling my arcane up to 15 so I can use some of those neat items? finally, why can't I ring the beckoning bell in the cathedral ward to help fight that hunter?

Depends how do you use the gun, I use the Ludwing for stuns mostly and not for damage, the repeating pistol is more for damage and crowd crontrol

Unless you want to devoted youself into PVP or use magic you need at least 40 points for the most powerful spell, it also affects the molotovs bombs and some weapons if you put some arcane gems to get the sinergy.

Lessers arcane items needs 15 and 18, depending of the spell you want

If you already defeated the boss there you cant summon anymore

The pistol and blunderbuss are the starting firearms, and there's not much difference unless you want to utilize parrying - in which case the pistol is quicker and has the better parry window.

But unless you're doing a bloodtinge build and wanting to do actual damage with guns, then it just comes down to preference.

The empty phantasm shell is the only one worth using. The other "spells" are fairly useless.
but the blunderbuss and ludwig's have a larger spread so they have their advantages for parrying as well?

and is it worth leveling up only to 15 for the shell then or no?

Depends how do you use the gun, I use the Ludwing for stuns mostly and not for damage, the repeating pistol is more for damage and crowd crontrol

Unless you want to devoted youself into PVP or use magic you need at least 40 points for the most powerful spell, it also affects the molotovs bombs and some weapons if you put some arcane gems to get the sinergy.

Lessers arcane items needs 15 and 18, depending of the spell you want

If you already defeated the boss there you cant summon anymore
Why the Ludwig over the Blunderbuss, they seem fairly similar - what's the difference?

Donos

Finally.... Platinum.
Fook U defiled chalice bosses, Abhorrent beast and Marty L. What a ride. Only summoned someone one time for one Boss (VA) ... was sick at home and not in the mood to try her again after 20 deaths. pre loading patch. Now i have to live with this little shame forever ;_;. Didn't summon once in DaS and DeS (Plat at both).
Not going to touch this game again till dlc. FREE AT LAST.

Jombie

but the blunderbuss and ludwig's have a larger spread so they have their advantages for parrying as well?

The blunder is slower and the parry window is a bit tighter. Try both and see what you prefer; you can go through the entire game with either.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Blue elixirs give a "fog ring" kind of effect when you're moving, so I guess they reduce enemy aggro. I've never used them, but I did get murdered by an invader who sneaked up on me with that in Cainhurst, hahah.

okay, what the fuck is up with those enemies that cause frenzy just by looking at you, how can i defeat them

Kill them before the debuff hits, Frenzy cant kill you full health

Blue Elixirs work? I thought they only worked if you were standing still?

You make less noise when you are walking so is easier to sneak up enemies.

Why the Ludwig over the Blunderbuss, they seem fairly similar - what's the difference?

Blunderbuss is slower and do AOE damage if there are close enemies, Ludwing is a little faster with no AOE properties

Essay

Keep in mind the blunderbuss recovers faster than Ludwig's rifle, which lets you close the distance for the visceral more easily, and roll to safety sooner if you miss.

EDIT: Though, rereading Jombie's post, I think he's comparing blunder-class to the pistol-class weapons.

Why does Ludwig's rifle function so differently than its appearance and lore suggest? It's a rifle that was designed to take down big beasts so that suggests super far range and high damage but it's basically a shotgun that isn't all that powerful.

Why does Ludwig's rifle function so differently than its appearance and lore suggest? It's a rifle that was designed to take down big beasts so that suggests super far range and high damage but it's basically a shotgun that isn't all that powerful.

Spam it at close range, it does more damage

AHA-Lambda

Following from my earlier posts, just got to Byrgenwerth, after beating Witch of Hemwick, and the game does seem much more manageable than I was finding it at the start with Gascoigne.

Bosses beat so far in order:
Cleric Beast
Father Gascoigne
BSB
Vicar Amelia
Shadow of Yharnam
Witch of Hemwick

How far along/much left am I? I'm getting the impression this is shorter than DaS 1 & 2.

should I opt for more skill scaling over physical damage for the Threaded Cane or BOM?
Skill scaling will just raise the level of the scaling which adds to the damage, I think I only put a gem like that on Ludwigs Holy Blade to get the scaling from C to B faster. with the cane and blades of mercy I just went all physical damage gems. Granted somebody else on here probably has a smarter answer.

Skill scaling will just raise the level of the scaling which adds to the damage, I think I only put a gem like that on Ludwigs Holy Blade to get the scaling from C to B faster. with the cane and blades of mercy I just went all physical damage gems. Granted somebody else on here probably has a smarter answer.
yeah i mean assuming there isn't any unknown attribute or hidden thing I'm missing, physical damage seems to add more damage in the end

Following from my earlier posts, just got to Byrgenwerth, after beating Witch of Hemwick, and the game does seem much more manageable than I was finding it at the start with Gascoigne.

Bosses beat so far in order:
Cleric Beast
Father Gascoigne
BSB
Vicar Amelia
Shadow of Yharnam
Witch of Hemwick

How far along/much left am I? I'm getting the impression this is shorter than DaS 1 & 2.

Maybe close to halfway? You've only beaten 6 out of 17 possible bosses, but you see them a lot more frequently in the second half of the game.

Yeah I know. I think it's because it already does arcane damage and to increase that you have to level up arcane. I never bothered, still very good without it. If you need to paper something just paper the cane, it's what I do.
should i buff arcane once I get skill to 50? Or would I be better off with putting it in to strength? also why do people cap skills at 50? is that where you can't improve them any further?

should i buff arcane once I get skill to 50? Or would I be better off with putting it in to strength? also why do people cap skills at 50? is that where you can't improve them any further?
I think 50 is when it almost doesn't pay to level it up anymore. I'm honestly not sure on what you can mess around with after skill. I'm doing bloodtinge on my first character for NG+, but endurance has its benefits too.

I think 50 is when it almost doesn't pay to level it up anymore. I'm honestly not sure on what you can mess around with after skill. I'm doing bloodtinge on my first character for NG+, but endurance has its benefits too.
aight but no matter what i should get skill to 50, vitality to 50 and endurance to a reasonable level (early 30ish?) and then prioritize what I want from there? Whether it be more endurance, arcane for BOM damage, strength for general damage or bloodtinge if I want to use my gun more?

they really need to make the bloodstains more visible :(

also nightmare of mensis reminds me of the eye of sauron

Top Bottom