• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Donos

just realized I missed the blood rock and can't go back to where it's located because the game forced me in to NG+

nice, nice

how prevalent is it in chalice dungeons?

Only one i got is when you beat the
Yharnham Queen
in the Great Pthumeru Ihyll Chalice. But the way to her is rather long to get there :).

NEO0MJ

The lack of rocks and chunks feels like a big problem. You really need upgraded weapons in NG+ and later Chalice Dungeons.

And there is a trophy for that upgrade =/.

You can try to get several in the chalices but the materials are kinda rare and requires some late game chalices
well i'm running through a NG+ playthrough anyway so I'll get it eventually, just really annoying since I need it on two weapons at least

and the materials for what are rare? the chalices themselves?

NEO0MJ

and the materials for what are rare? the chalices themselves?

Probably. I'm in early NG+ as well and only unlocked four main chalices. Biggest problem is how boring they are. Exploring them feels like a chore, and some of the later ones require you to be high leveled. I felt that the Chalice version of Bloodstraved beast was stronger than the one in NG+, and not ust for the lack of pillars and smaller arena

And I haven't gotten much chunks yet.

Probably. I'm in early NG+ as well and only unlocked four main chalices. Biggest problem is how boring they are. Exploring them feels like a chore, and some of the later ones require you to be high leveled. I felt that the Chalice version of Bloodstraved beast was stronger than the one in NG+, and not ust for the lack of pillars and smaller arena

And I haven't gotten much chunks yet.
I'm in depth 3 of the intertomb and main ones and yeah, they're just boring

I have my two main weapons to +9 though so i can't complain too much

highrider

Banned
Hey I'm a little stuck on where to proceed. Defeated rom and paarl and the witches of hemwick as well as the bsb in old yarnham. The unseen village/yarghul stuff seems crazy difficult with the respawning enemies. Need to unlock the upper cathedral but I keep getting wrecked. My character is level 60 with a +7 sawblade. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance..

Hey I'm a little stuck on where to proceed. Defeated rom and paarl and the witches of hemwick as well as the bsb in old yarnham. The unseen village/yarghul stuff seems crazy difficult with the respawning enemies. Need to unlock the upper cathedral but I keep getting wrecked. My character is level 60 with a +7 sawblade. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance..
could try the Nightmare Frontier, other then that just chalice dungeons and level up or run past the enemies

matmanx1

My recommendation? Go back to the Forbidden woods and go the back way to Iosefka's Clinic. Get the unopened Cainhurst Summons on the table in one of the upper floor rooms and go to Cainhurst. The beginning of Cainhurst will feel ridiculously hard but you will get blood echoes like crazy and can level up very quickly. I did some grinding there and got my Bloodtinge up high enough to use Evelyn and it was well worth the time I spent.

And in other news, Platinum trophy get! It is my first ever platinum and my save file says I clocked just under 84 hours. I had a friend that helped me do the Chalice dungeon stuff and so that likely lengthened the amount of time it took since we were basically doing everything twice (once for me and once for him) but I got so many blood echoes and gems that it made NG+ easier than my first run through.

Bloodborne was and is a fantastic game.

highrider

Banned
My recommendation? Go back to the Forbidden woods and go the back way to Iosefka's Clinic. Get the unopened Cainhurst Summons on the table in one of the upper floor rooms and go to Cainhurst. The beginning of Cainhurst will feel ridiculously hard but you will get blood echoes like crazy and can level up very quickly. I did some grinding there and got my Bloodtinge up high enough to use Evelyn and it was well worth the time I spent.

And in other news, Platinum trophy get! It is my first ever platinum and my save file says I clocked just under 84 hours. I had a friend that helped me do the Chalice dungeon stuff and so that likely lengthened the amount of time it took since we were basically doing everything twice (once for me and once for him) but I got so many blood echoes and gems that it made NG+ easier than my first run through.

Bloodborne was and is a fantastic game.

Sounds interesting. I beat the shadows of yarnham, is the back way to the clinic near that area?
Edit: found a video, thanks man and congrats on the platinum man.

methane47

i just went HAM on Abhorrent Beast.
Finally took him down.
What did I do differently? well i was previously dodging up left away from most of his attacks that start from his left hand. But I figured let me try dodging up right like many others have suggested. Thank god for iframes.
Another thing I did differently was not to back away from him ever! (unless he does the ground slam). What was happening was I would dodge the first attack and then try to backstep quickly away. Apparently this was a big mistake as he can sometimes punish that backwards movment. Instead I would double down and dodge up-right again! under his next attack. Then attack once.

So thats dodge up-right attack, dodge up-right attack. At that time he backs away himself. I then waited for an opening and went back into position for my strat.

Beating him was soo friggin satisfying.

matmanx1

i just went HAM on Abhorrent Beast.
Finally took him down.
What did I do differently? well i was previously dodging up left away from most of his attacks that start from his left hand. But I figured let me try dodging up right like many others have suggested. Thank god for iframes.
Another thing I did differently was not to back away from him ever! (unless he does the ground slam). What was happening was I would dodge the first attack and then try to backstep quickly away. Apparently this was a big mistake as he can sometimes punish that backwards movment. Instead I would double down and dodge up-right again! under his next attack. Then attack once.

So thats dodge up-right attack, dodge up-right attack. At that time he backs away himself. I then waited for an opening and went back into position for my strat.

Beating him was soo friggin satisfying.

Mad props. That guy is just straight up hard. Several of the chalice dungeon bosses are very hard solo and he is up there among the top tier.

Dynedom

Back in BB today. Friend helped me get through
Mensis

Eventually attempted
Gehrman
solo and got the fucker on my third try. Parry all fucking day with a level +8 Tonitrus lolz (character was level 91).

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
He can be parried. Just parry him as he comes out of his roll, keeping your distance helps.

Depending on where you are at now would be a good time to stock up on sedatives and get the frenzy rune. Where are you at by the way? I don't think you mentioned the Paarl fight yet so Hypogean Gaol?

In that area of death and depression before Amy. I didn't even get either shortcut :/

Despera

Banned
So I was fooling around in NG+ and I think after ~2 hours of rushing to the main bosses I found myself facing against
Mergo's Wet Nurse
. Only managed to die once up to that point, and it was against
The One
of all bosses lol.

I think I could've managed a no death playthrough if not for that one misstep, damn.

Wow at Forbidden forest. It has to be one of the best areas in any "Souls" game. Its so expansive and was astounded how you could go to the things you see of in the far distance as you go down the level. There's a sense of fear with those plagas and massive snake bundles and the worst thing is how easy it is to loose your sense of direction. The art direction is also second to none. The craziest thing was how the ladder takes you back to the beginning of the game......like how, my mind cannot fathom how that one shortcut worked.

Anyway now I'm in Cainhurst Castle and I feel like I'm not meant to be here. I'm lvl 40 and most my points have been in SKL and Bloodtinge. Axe + 3 is still ding pretty well though. Admittedly, I did come here because I heard this is where you go to get the Katana but to my dread it seems you have to kill the boss first. Is it possible? My attacks are doing so little damage :/

dralla

Wow at Forbidden forest. It has to be one of the best areas in any "Souls" game. Its so expansive and was astounded how you could go to the things you see of in the far distance as you go down the level. There's a sense of fear with those plagas and massive snake bundles and the worst thing is how easy it is to loose your sense of direction. The art direction is also second to none. The craziest thing was how the ladder takes you back to the beginning of the game......like how, my mind cannot fathom how that one shortcut worked.

Anyway now I'm in Cainhurst Castle and I feel like I'm not meant to be here. I'm lvl 40 and most my points have been in SKL and Bloodtinge. Axe + 3 is still ding pretty well though. Admittedly, I did come here because I heard this is where you go to get the Katana but to my dread it seems you have to kill the boss first. Is it possible? My attacks are doing so little damage :/

40 is really early for Cainhurst. I think I was level 70 when I went, and even still those first enemies were taking me down pretty quickly. I don't think I get a katana there either.

In that area of death and depression before Amy. I didn't even get either shortcut :/
Oh I fucking hate nightmare frontier, it's one of the worst designed areas. I hope you have that frenzy resist rune and the ashen armor set and some blue elixirs. Amygdala isn't hard though. Just throw on some bolt paper and attack the head for a visceral attack and she'll eventually go down..

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Why would you use Axe if you put your points more in SKL? You're just gimping yourself unnecessarily, really.

Level 40 is alright for that area, but the boss would be so much pain to defeat, hahaha.

Also, you having access to Cainhurst Castle means you have access to lots of Twin Bloodstones in various areas so no point in keeping your preferred weapon at +3.

Do yourself a favor and switch to either the rifle spear, threaded cane, saw spear, Blades of Mercy or Reiterpallasch because I'm pretty sure either one of those should be able to do more damage than that axe since they work better with the skill stat.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Oh I fucking hate nightmare frontier, it's one of the worst designed areas. I hope you have that frenzy resist rune and the ashen armor set and some blue elixirs. Amygdala isn't hard though. Just throw on some bolt paper and attack the head for a visceral attack and she'll eventually go down..

Yeah I absolutely hate it, it made me rage quit earlier. Hopefully I can bosh it out quickly tomorrow.

Zaventem

Should i wait on the dexpansion in hopes of OP gems? i fucking hate chalice dungeons. One more to get plat but it's sucking the life out of me.

So it's pretty much impossible to see some of these endings without having a guide to tell you what to do right?

I just found part of
the umbilical cord
in the
Old Abandoned Workshop
and I looked it up to see what it was. Supposedly I need to
find three other pieces and consume them before the last boss
to get one of the endings. Were you guys figuring this out on your own while beating it? This is my first time playing a Souls game and these steps just seem damn near impossible to string together without knowing what to do beforehand.

So it's pretty much impossible to see some of these endings without having a guide to tell you what to do right?

I just found part of
the umbilical cord
in the
Old Abandoned Workshop
and I looked it up to see what it was. Supposedly I need to
find three other pieces and consume them before the last boss
to get one of the endings. Were you guys figuring this out on your own while beating it? This is my first time playing a Souls game and these steps just seem damn near impossible to string together without knowing what to do beforehand.

There is a random note in the library section telling you to eat three umbilical cords, outside that, nothing

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
There is a random note in the library section telling you to eat three umbilical cords, outside that, nothing

It's not even telling you to do that (it's on Lecture Hall 2nd floor btw)

The note just said "Three Umbilical Cords". Well, it's next to the note stating Paleblood is the thing summoned by Laurence and his cooperators.

Why would you use Axe if you put your points more in SKL? You're just gimping yourself unnecessarily, really.

Level 40 is alright for that area, but the boss would be so much pain to defeat, hahaha.

Also, you having access to Cainhurst Castle means you have access to lots of Twin Bloodstones in various areas so no point in keeping your preferred weapon at +3.

Do yourself a favor and switch to either the rifle spear, threaded cane, saw spear, Blades of Mercy or Reiterpallasch because I'm pretty sure either one of those should be able to do more damage than that axe since they work better with the skill stat.

I was saving the twin shard and chunks for when I get the Katana but I probably have excess.

The axe just has such a good moveset, especially the charge attack. I think I have 185 ATK rating. I have probably picked up the Reiter without even realising lol

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I was saving the twin shard and chunks for when I get the Katana but I probably have excess.

The axe just has such a good moveset, especially the charge attack. I think I have 185 ATK rating. I have probably picked up the Reiter without even realising lol

Well you need 16 of corresponding stone types on each level so if you have more than 16 you might as well use them. Besides, later on Twin Blood Stones can be purchased for a measley 10.000 echoes each so yeah, no real need to actually hoard them.

Do you have a good amount of points in Bloodtinge?

FireCloud

It's not even telling you to do that (it's on Lecture Hall 2nd floor btw)

The note just said "Three Umbilical Cords". Well, it's next to the note stating Paleblood is the thing summoned by Laurence and his cooperators.

How do you remember all of this? I can't even remember the order I fought the bosses any longer. ... and I agree, it isn't clear at all what you are supposed to do with the three chords.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So here's my situation. I have the shortcut for both The One Reborn and Amygdala but they're both too hard, I could probably kill TOR if I spent some hours on it but I've been losing interest in the game and I just don't have that in me. My question is what's a good level to be for these bosses? Bear in mind I suck at these games and don't want to bash my head against them all day. Also, is there anywhere "safe" I can farm the chunks to upgrade my weapon? It's currently +6. I've been farming Forbidden Woods as it's safe, one run of my route takes about 12 minutes and it nets me one level and a bunch of vials so that's what I'm doing ATM.

Oh and why can't I use Fire Paper any more? I guess it's not compatible with my Holy Blade? Is there an alternative I can use?

Melchiah

So here's my situation. I have the shortcut for both The One Reborn and Amygdala but they're both too hard, I could probably kill TOR if I spent some hours on it but I've been losing interest in the game and I just don't have that in me. My question is what's a good level to be for these bosses? Bear in mind I suck at these games and don't want to bash my head against them all day. Also, is there anywhere "safe" I can farm the chunks to upgrade my weapon? It's currently +6. I've been farming Forbidden Woods as it's safe, one run of my route takes about 12 minutes and it nets me one level and a bunch of vials so that's what I'm doing ATM.

Oh and why can't I use Fire Paper any more? I guess it's not compatible with my Holy Blade? Is there an alternative I can use?

Bolt paper should work with Ludwig.

As for the other question, I don't remember what level I was when I beat those two bosses, but I guess it was somewhere between 80-90. I was definitely overleveled for Amygdala. Forbidden Woods was also my farming round at that point of the game. I beat the game on level 100.

I got enough chunks for my main weapon by searching through all the environments, and killing those little crawlers that appear and go into hiding in each area.

Do you have a good amount of points in Bloodtinge?

Well you need 16 of corresponding stone types on each level so if you have more than 16 you might as well use them. Besides, later on Twin Blood Stones can be purchased for a measley 10.000 echoes each so yeah, no real need to actually hoard them.

I hope you did a good ob of raising bloodtinge and skill because that weapon demands it.

Have 18 bloodtinge and 23 SKL
The rapier is not that much better than the axe. Its got DPS but it staggers less and moveset is not as good.

I'm kind stuck now. Can either fight Darkbeast Paarl, Logarius, Shadow of Yarnham or go to that place where there are two hunters.

Logarius seems to be to tough for me, and Paarl is just annoying. Goddamn targeting keeps changing from the head to the body >: Haven't tried the shadows though.

methane47

TOR is pretty easy boss once you arrange your priorities.
First thing first, when you enter dont even bother attacking the boss. Run straight past him to the right to go upstairs and kill the 6 bell ringing women on each side.
After that's done, run down stairs and ya... just stick and weave, attack the leftish/rightis side of the boss that is lower to the ground (he's a big seesaw). So hit him 2-3 times then simply strafe away to avoid the falling bone masses thing. Rinse and Repeat.

Only thing to watch out for is when he covers the whole ground with poison, when you see him charging up for that, just run up the steps a bit. Then rinse repeat.

Really simple boss once you take out the bell ringers.

I'm kind stuck now. Can either fight Darkbeast Paarl, Logarius, Shadow of Yarnham or go to that place where there are two hunters.Logarius seems to be to tough for me, and Paarl is just annoying. Goddamn targeting keeps changing from the head to the body >: Haven't tried the shadows though.

All those bosses are pretty tough, i would say do Paarl and summon help. Then do Shadows (I did this solo but it was omg tough kill the katana first!) Logarius after those

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Bolt paper should work with Ludwig.

As for the other question, I don't remember what level I was when I beat those two bosses, but I guess it was somewhere between 80-90. I was definitely overleveled for Amygdala. Forbidden Woods was also my farming round at that point of the game. I beat the game on level 100.

I got enough chunks for my main weapon by searching through all the environments, and killing those little crawlers that appear and go into hiding in each area.

Jeez, I'm only 63.

Melchiah

Jeez, I'm only 63.

Yeah, I beat all the other optional bosses before that, which was a mistake concerning Amygdala.

EDIT: Just checked my trophies, and actually I didn't beat those in the
Upper Cathedral Ward
before it. My memory played tricks on me. ;)

myco666

Nope, I get more than 4 sedatives before Rom phase.

Checked wiki and she should give you sedatives three times then go out to get more. After that you can get sedatives only once more and then she is gone. Not sure though if the questline only finishes after Rom and if you could get infinite amount before it.

Checked wiki and she should give you sedatives three times then go out to get more. After that you can get sedatives only once more and then she is gone. Not sure though if the questline only finishes after Rom and if you could get infinite amount before it.

Rom phase usually ends most of the sidequests, NPCs incluyed.

Do I need to buy the Hunter Chief Emblem to continue the
Eileen quest
? I killed BSB and took the long route through the pit to open one gate to cathedral ward but I read somewhere that the emblem is still mandatory to fight
Henryk
. True? Still haven't opened the last gate

I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice on him. I know everyone says stun with gun and visceral him, but it's not working for me. I got him down to a sliver using bolt paper and ax, but then I didn't heal and got wrecked. I'm level 65 right now. Should I come back after beating some other areas or just keep working at it? Also, which weapons and buffs give the most damage output against him?

Currently using +8 ax and +8 cane. My build is mostly vitality, strength, and skill.

Top Bottom