• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
You are okay for amygdala, he is pretty squishy with well upgraded weapons

I tried him twice and he was doing half my HP with each hit, and I was tickling his balls. I know you're supposed to hit his hands and head but it was so hard to target them while getting clobbered for my entire health bar.

My weapon is only +6, I don't know where I can farm chunks safely.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wow at Forbidden forest. It has to be one of the best areas in any "Souls" game. Its so expansive and was astounded how you could go to the things you see of in the far distance as you go down the level. There's a sense of fear with those plagas and massive snake bundles and the worst thing is how easy it is to loose your sense of direction. The art direction is also second to none. The craziest thing was how the ladder takes you back to the beginning of the game......like how, my mind cannot fathom how that one shortcut worked.
Yeah, it's an unbelievably designed area. I tend to be totally okay with really dark areas or "tradionally scary" setups with lots of stuff jumping out at you, but the Forbidden Woods freaks me the hell out. All of the paths are fairly well-obscured and it just seems like it could go on forever. And that shortcut blew my mind apart as well.
Anyway now I'm in Cainhurst Castle and I feel like I'm not meant to be here. I'm lvl 40 and most my points have been in SKL and Bloodtinge. Axe + 3 is still ding pretty well though. Admittedly, I did come here because I heard this is where you go to get the Katana but to my dread it seems you have to kill the boss first. Is it possible? My attacks are doing so little damage :/
Cainhurst feels tough to me at 67 or something. I'd come back.

Melchiah

I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice on him. I know everyone says stun with gun and visceral him, but it's not working for me. I got him down to a sliver using bolt paper and ax, but then I didn't heal and got wrecked. I'm level 65 right now. Should I come back after beating some other areas or just keep working at it? Also, which weapons and buffs give the most damage output against him?

Currently using +8 ax and +8 cane. My build is mostly vitality, strength, and skill.

I used the Cane, and gear + gems that increased arcane resistance. I relied on parry & visceral combo though, so I dunno what other effective methods there might be. Sounds like you can defeat him, if you just don't get greedy towards the end. It's a bit tricky fight to heal in due to his aggressiveness.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
When is the best time to do dungeons? I've never done one. Are the lower ones good to farm for levels?

Xeilyn

My weapon is only +6, I don't know where I can farm chunks safely.
There are 5 chunks in cainhurst
14 in Yahargul
4 In frontier

Should not be that hard to find any of them at your point in the game

And the lower dungeons are really easy and give bad exp+items for your lvl. Id say that unless you wanna get the platinum or the best gems its not worth it, they are really boring imo

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I did layer one and one shot all the mobs but the boss was still kinda hard. I don't think I'll bother with them for awhile as you get fuck all echoes from them and I really need to level if I'm ever going to finish the game.

I did layer one and one shot all the mobs but the boss was still kinda hard. I don't think I'll bother with them for awhile as you get fuck all echoes from them and I really need to level if I'm ever going to finish the game.
You actually get pretty powerful gems from the dungeons though. Undead giant isn't that bad. Just don't get greedy with them. Pretty much one or two hits and get out.

Melchiah

You can get 200-300k echoes by going through a layer in the later dungeons though.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
You can get 200-300k echoes by going through a layer in the later dungeons though.

Crazy, I'm nowhere near that point I guess, the most echoes I've ever had is about 40k. Farming the woods is pretty efficient but it's getting boring. I just need to get a second wind so I can push forward.

Melchiah

Crazy, I'm nowhere near that point I guess, the most echoes I've ever had is about 40k. Farming the woods is pretty efficient but it's getting boring. I just need to get a second wind so I can push forward.

It didn't help me that much, as at my level a single level upgrade took nearly 200k echoes. ;) You can refill supplies pretty quickly there.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It didn't help me that much, as at my level a single level upgrade took nearly 200k echoes. ;) You can refill supplies pretty quickly there.

Yeah for me one 10 minute lap is a level so it's pretty good.

Whats the point of Insight....I've got 55 and I feel like stuff should be happening. Maybe it is and I don't realise lol.

Minor things happen that don't really affect the game too much. You can buy some stuff with it too.

From probably should have fleshed it out more. It wasn't really a gamechanger.

The one in the earlier chalice dungeons? I died a few times, but it was easier than AB, whom I've yet to beat.
The one with the chains and steel balls has a lot of range, took me a bit to get the proper rhythm for him. It's always interesting seeing who has a hard time with which boss.

Melchiah

The one with the chains and steel balls has a lot of range, took me a bit to get the proper rhythm for him. It's always interesting seeing who has a hard time with which boss.

Yeah, the balls were a pain in the ass, but it still took me only a handful tries to beat it. I've tried to beat AB more times than that, and haven't managed to do so. Not even with bone marrow ash + poison dagger method.

I beat Abhorrent Beast in both Ailing and Lower Loran on my first try without much trouble. The one in Forbidden Woods kicked my ass 5 times before I could take him out, and this was in NG+ after I had already owned him twice in the dungeons (I never saw him in my first playthrough). I think the main problem was that the framerate was going to shit for that fight, which threw my dodge timing off.

Zaventem

The one in the earlier chalice dungeons? I died a few times, but it was easier than AB, whom I've yet to beat.

The poison method works, don't even worry about the gun imo. All you need is a shit ton of patience and baiting and constantly backstepping. I tried a ton of times to fight him the "fair way" until i realized he was a bullshit boss. Make sure you have your stamina runes on and always look at his health to throw the next dagger when the health drain stops. Also i didn't make a big fuss of it but that's something i'm slightly confused didn't make it in the game. The ticking of dot damage does not show up in the game but does for every other souls game to my knowledge which is weird.

Yeah, the balls were a pain in the ass, but it still took me only a handful tries to beat it. I've tried to beat AB more times than that, and haven't managed to do so. Not even with bone marrow ash + poison dagger method.
Fuck for some odd reason I confused Abhorrent Beast with Bloodletting Beast...sorry. I'm not looking forward to Abhorrent Beast.

Rocket786

So I was grabbed by
Amygdala
in the room after beating
Rom the Spider
. That took me to the
Lecture Building
which in turn took me to
Nightmare Frontier
. I went through that area and defeated
Amygdala

Now I'm lost as to where to go next? I've already beaten
Castle Cainhurst
. I know I'm supposed to be in the room where
Amygdala
picked me up after I defeated
Rom the Spider
, and that room leads to
Yahar'gul Chapel
? How do I get back to that room after beating the
Nightmare Frontier
? I'm just wandering around endlessly.

So I was grabbed by
Amygdala
in the room after beating
Rom the Spider
. That took me to the
Lecture Building
which in turn took me to
Nightmare Frontier
. I went through that area and defeated
Amygdala

Now I'm lost as to where to go next? I've already beaten
Castle Cainhurst
. I know I'm supposed to be in the room where
Amygdala
picked me up after I defeated
Rom the Spider
, and that room leads to
Yahar'gul Chapel
? How do I get back to that room after beating the
Nightmare Frontier
? I'm just wandering around endlessly.

Spawn from the Grand Cathedral lantern, run out from the cathedral, and when you get out turn left. You've been to Hemwick right? Where you need to go is opposite that way.

Rocket786

Spawn from the Grand Cathedral lantern, run out from the cathedral, and when you get out turn left. You've been to Hemwick right? Where you need to go is opposite that way.

The lamp to the Grand Cathedral was not functioning. I made my way from the Cathedral Ward to the opposite way of Hemwick. Defeated some hunters and found my way to
Yahar'gul Unseen Village

Thanks for the help!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
How do you remember all of this? I can't even remember the order I fought the bosses any longer. ... and I agree, it isn't clear at all what you are supposed to do with the three chords.

Well, playing with four different characters (originally six, I deleted the other two) and making each of them go through the main story portion to the end makes me remember stuff from the main game pretty well, hahaha. I bet if you ask me "where to find this specific item/rune or where does a specific note can be found" I can give you a detailed answer with direction from memory alone, ahahaha.

Have 18 bloodtinge and 23 SKL
The rapier is not that much better than the axe. Its got DPS but it staggers less and moveset is not as good.

I'm kind stuck now. Can either fight Darkbeast Paarl, Logarius, Shadow of Yarnham or go to that place where there are two hunters.

Logarius seems to be to tough for me, and Paarl is just annoying. Goddamn targeting keeps changing from the head to the body >: Haven't tried the shadows though.

18 bloodtinge and 23 SKL is great for Chikage. And yes, fighting Logarius with a +3 weapon is really not a good idea although doable, since most of your damage against him should come from Viscerals, which doesn't include weapon damage in its calculation.

Paarl is really, really, really easy, once you know you should just jump/run underneath him and smack his legs silly (do not lock on to him). The Shadows can be annoying, but they're also not that hard if you know what you're doing.

Jeez, I'm only 63.

63 is fiiiineeee against Amygdala. Well, although it also depends on your build/preferred weapon I guess.

Whats the point of Insight....I've got 55 and I feel like stuff should be happening. Maybe it is and I don't realise lol.

Things start changing at 40 and 60 I believe. By start changing I mean some (very few) enemies start having new attacks and a boss in particular change his pattern, but eh, beyond that nothing too big. It lowers your Frenzy resistance but it's not such a big deal. Oh and you see new stuff around Cathedral Ward that you'll see anyways once you beat a certain boss. Oh and it'll change the music in Hunter's Dreams but it'll change anyways after a particular main story milestone.

The lamp to the Grand Cathedral was not functioning. I made my way from the Cathedral Ward to the opposite way of Hemwick. Defeated some hunters and found my way to
Yahar'gul Unseen Village

Thanks for the help!

For a very, very good reason................... :)

What he's still doing there on that point of game, lol.

If you lose against him at that point of the game--hell, if you got scratched by him--shame on you! :p

Wow you weren't kidding. Didn't get hit once and I killed him in about 20-30 seconds lol. For some reason I thought he was supposed to be a late game boss

Rush_Khan

Which defenses should I increase for Amygdala? Chalice version keeps OHKO'ing whenever it stomps on me (always in the final phase >_<). Are all of its attacks blunt attacks?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
63 is fiiiineeee against Amygdala. Well, although it also depends on your build/preferred weapon I guess.

Started as the standard build, think I'm 30 vit, 22 stam, 30 strength, 12 skill ATM using the Holy Blade +6. I only tried Amy twice but both times I just got murdered.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Started as the standard build, think I'm 30 vit, 22 stam, 30 strength, 12 skill ATM using the Holy Blade +6. I only tried Amy twice but both times I just got murdered.

30 Vit is fine, I beat him the first time with that exact amount of vitality, and with Blade of Mercy, even! (bad idea, don't do it, hahaha) Just equip the extra +10% Rune health that you get from Frontier to get some extra health boost and wear something like Executioner's set if you have it, or Tomb Prospector or even Gascoigne stuff.

30 strength means you can use Cannon. Use it to shoot his head once you're in range (of course, strengthen it first with Bone Marrow Ash)--the best time to do this is after he slams his hands and lowers his head, you can bait this attack really easily. You can get two shots, and Cannon when upgraded to +6 gives you around 450-ish damage IIRC so it's a quite significant chunk of his health that you can cut there, especially since it WILL open him up for a visceral (don't forget to use Bolt Paper since he's weak to Bolt). If you don't have enough Bolt Paper just go ahead and beat Paarl first to unlock them in shops; at level 63 Paarl will be child's play, especially since you use Ludwig.

Also, chances are you have opened up various areas where you can have Chunks. Frontier has 2, and you can find one in Forbidden Woods, allowing you to upgrade Holy Blade to plus 7. You can also find 5 of them in Cainhurst Castle, which I assume you have access to since you have opened Forbidden Woods.

I beat
Blood Starved Beast
and
Victor Amelia
today after my 3rd try. I switched from using the hunter axe to the saw cleaver and I'm just mowing through people.

I'm currently at level 35, and I have about 30k blood echoes. Should I increase skill or a different stat? I have my Vit at 21, Edu at 20, and my Str at 18, everything else is at base stats.

Edit: Also big thanks to LaughingBanana for helping me defeat Father G. I was so close to selling this game lol

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I beat
Blood Starved Beast
and
Victor Amelia
today after my 3rd try. I switched from using the hunter axe to the saw cleaver and I'm just mowing through people.

I'm currently at level 35, and I have about 30k blood echoes. Should I increase skill or a different stat? I have my Vit at 21, Edu at 20, and my Str at 18, everything else is at base stats.

Edit: Also big thanks to LaughingBanana for helping me defeat Father G. I was so close to selling this game lol

Those two bosses are weak against Saw Cleaver so you definitely had the best weapon for the job there!

As for the stat question, well, it depends on what weapon you want to continue using. If you want to continue using Saw Cleaver then keep on raising Strength primarily since it is somewhat a Strength weapon. Endurance at 20 or 25 is enough if you just want to beat the game, 30 is very nice; prioritize Vitality and your chosen attack-stat focus first.

Do note that Visceral damage are tied to Skill so you will not deal Visceral damage as high as a Skill focused character if you choose to go with Strength.

Glad you're not selling the game early! This game is awesome, right? :D

Glad you're not selling the game early! This game is awesome, right? :D

Thanks, I'll increase my vitality and skill.

It is! it's also very frustrating but worth the feeling you get after defeating a boss. This game is by far the hardest I've played. Whenever I play a game, I usually pick the easiest difficulty. And I do that for pretty much every game lol. The higher difficulties take too much time.

8bitsuperhero

Neo Member
I've just a few hours ago beaten Bloodborne for the first time. I'm quite thrilled about that, and I eagerly look forward to New Game + as well as doing the Chalice Dungeons (I decided not to do them on my first playthrough... probably a mistake) as well.

The ending I got was
Childhood's Beginning

spliced

I hated that AB fight, I've never dodged so much in my life. Literally the entire last part of the fight was just constant dodges, attacks or vials.

I did have a nice moment in the chalice dungeons though. Trapping 8 red spiders in a hole they couldn't get out of was all kinds of satisfying.

Well yes but I would assume there is certain point before rom that she would stop giving them. Going to test how many I can get from her.

I find standing still to be pretty unreliable. Well timed roll works better IMO.

Yeah agreed. I have never tried standing still, just what I heard from posters in the past :p

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
My Bloodtinge focused character just beat Amygdala NG+ in a really, and I do mean really leisurely manner. Having Repeating Pistol +10 with 405 Blood damage per shot for 2 bullets is way more useful than Cannon 600 Blood Damage per shot with 12 bullets.

I just shot him at the head repeatedly and roll here and there leisurely to avoid the hand slams. Overall, it's kind of relaxing I was a bit shocked myself, hah.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
30 Vit is fine, I beat him the first time with that exact amount of vitality, and with Blade of Mercy, even! (bad idea, don't do it, hahaha) Just equip the extra +10% Rune health that you get from Frontier to get some extra health boost and wear something like Executioner's set if you have it, or Tomb Prospector or even Gascoigne stuff.

30 strength means you can use Cannon. Use it to shoot his head once you're in range (of course, strengthen it first with Bone Marrow Ash)--the best time to do this is after he slams his hands and lowers his head, you can bait this attack really easily. You can get two shots, and Cannon when upgraded to +6 gives you around 450-ish damage IIRC so it's a quite significant chunk of his health that you can cut there, especially since it WILL open him up for a visceral (don't forget to use Bolt Paper since he's weak to Bolt). If you don't have enough Bolt Paper just go ahead and beat Paarl first to unlock them in shops; at level 63 Paarl will be child's play, especially since you use Ludwig.

Also, chances are you have opened up various areas where you can have Chunks. Frontier has 2, and you can find one in Forbidden Woods, allowing you to upgrade Holy Blade to plus 7. You can also find 5 of them in Cainhurst Castle, which I assume you have access to since you have opened Forbidden Woods.

I will go for Paarl today when my package arrives, I don't want to start playing and have the door ring mid mob. From what I've seen he seems the easiest of the 3 I have fast access to (Amy, Paarl & One Reborn).

I just Google'd Cainhurst Castle and I've never been there, I must have missed it somehow. Is it easier than what I'm currently doing? Should I go back to it? I guess I should just for the Chunks.

dralla

I will go for Paarl today when my package arrives, I don't want to start playing and have the door ring mid mob. From what I've seen he seems the easiest of the 3 I have fast access to (Amy, Paarl & One Reborn).

I just Google'd Cainhurst Castle and I've never been there, I must have missed it somehow. Is it easier than what I'm currently doing? Should I go back to it? I guess I should just for the Chunks.

Cainhurst is pretty difficult, especially the boss. You do get lots of souls though, if you wanted to level up. Of the three bosses available, I'd say Paarl is actually the most difficult. Amy is the easiest because of its poor defense.

Melchiah

I beat Abhorrent Beast in both Ailing and Lower Loran on my first try without much trouble. The one in Forbidden Woods kicked my ass 5 times before I could take him out, and this was in NG+ after I had already owned him twice in the dungeons (I never saw him in my first playthrough). I think the main problem was that the framerate was going to shit for that fight, which threw my dodge timing off.

I faced him on NG+ just outside the Oedon Chapel, but in the end I had to cheese him from the doorway. It's really a shame you can't face him in an area where there's more space to evade the attacks, or no other enemies around.

The poison method works, don't even worry about the gun imo. All you need is a shit ton of patience and baiting and constantly backstepping. I tried a ton of times to fight him the "fair way" until i realized he was a bullshit boss. Make sure you have your stamina runes on and always look at his health to throw the next dagger when the health drain stops. Also i didn't make a big fuss of it but that's something i'm slightly confused didn't make it in the game. The ticking of dot damage does not show up in the game but does for every other souls game to my knowledge which is weird.

I'll have to try the method again at some point, but I think I'll increase Blood Tinge before that just in case. ;) Changing from poison daggers to bone marrow ash in the middle of the fight is a pain the ass though. It blows my mind, that some players on YouTube have managed to beat him without taking any damage.

Fuck for some odd reason I confused Abhorrent Beast with Bloodletting Beast...sorry. I'm not looking forward to Abhorrent Beast.

No worries, both are very challenging fights. =) I did manage to help another player to beat AB in an area with four pillars, like the one where the chalice Rom resided. I dunno if it would be easier to beat him solo on that area, instead of the circular one, where there's no cover.

My Bloodtinge focused character just beat Amygdala NG+ in a really, and I do mean really leisurely manner. Having Repeating Pistol +10 with 405 Blood damage per shot for 2 bullets is way more useful than Cannon 600 Blood Damage per shot with 12 bullets.

I just shot him at the head repeatedly and roll here and there leisurely to avoid the hand slams. Overall, it's kind of relaxing I was a bit shocked myself, hah.

I've got +10 Evelyn, which gives 301 damage per bullet at 30 level Blood Tinge. I'm interested to see how high its damage goes when I level up the stat.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Wouldn't it be cool if, after beating the game, you could have a option to free roam the game's world without enemies ? Maybe even a photomode to go along.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Just one shotted Paarl, I definitely out levelled him but I needed a win and I really don't care lol. And my friend just pointed out I've been gimping my damage by using a fire gem in the 3rd slot as it cancelled out my other 2 so I have swapped to a physical one now. That was also the reason I couldn't use Fire Paper which I asked about earlier, doh!

EDIT: Just downed Amygdala as well.
First half was a mess, but then I learned to just sit back, wait for her to drop her head and get in 2 big hits. Rinse and repeat.

Top Bottom