• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

So I got to the fishing hamlet, and it's really tough. Particularly the giant enemies that eat you. Honestly, the DLC is difficult to the point of not being enjoyable anymore. I know, I know, git gud and all that. It's just frustrating how much more difficult it is than the main game. I didn't die as much anywhere in the main game as I have in every single area of the DLC. May just skip it NG+, although Lady Maria is probably my favorite boss yet.

myco666

So I got to the fishing hamlet, and it's really tough. Particularly the giant enemies that eat you. Honestly, the DLC is difficult to the point of not being enjoyable anymore. I know, I know, git gud and all that. It's just frustrating how much more difficult it is than the main game. I didn't die as much anywhere in the main game as I have in every single area of the DLC. May just skip it NG+, although Lady Maria is probably my favorite boss yet.

Yeah the balance compared to main game is way off. I still like the added challenge as the base game hasn't offered any challenge in months for me. I would still recommend you to try to get through that area since the boss there is probably my favorite and I love the second half of the area.

Dont forget, the DLC was supposed to be two DLC, seeing how is fishing hamlet looks like being some kind of Late game content.

The difficulty and damage increased a lot compared to the earlier DLC content and the vanilla late content

I photoshopped a picture last night for the kotaku contest

ol1fgtemk2mnbl7prmle.png

I always felt this area of the castle would've been a perfect spot for a big boss like the cleric beast. I wonder what a nail polish would do and if it'd be more useful than something like the delayed molotov.

Uggh, not sure I want to go to layer 2 of the defiled pthumeru. I know what's coming up.

It took a little while but I found a LHB strategy for cheesing the layer 1 boss.

^I think I erased a lot of stuff around it to paste it into the picture, looks pretty weird

Is that the watchdog? I uploaded a video recently using the LHB if it helps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4_Ofval0UE

Yeah it is. Thanks, watching now!

edit: damn, you slaughtered (lol) that thing. Did the spell stun it or was that just for some extra ranged damage?

edit2: just saw all the details in the youtube description, nm the above Q.

Vitacat

Started playing BB yesterday and just beat the Cleric Beast a little while ago.

THIS GAME. Amazing. LOVE IT.

I was on the fence about this game since it launched, and agonized over buying it or not, mainly because I didn't get into Dark Souls as much as some people did. Really glad I finally bit the bullet, just wish I'd done it sooner.

Played around with the spells, literally the first time I've ever equipped them since getting the game despite beating it many times etc, etc.... aaaaand not really feeling them. Maybe they're more fun for PvP? But for PvE I played through from start to Cleric Beast on a NG+3 character and thought they were more trouble than they were worth. It feels a bit jarring pressing square as your main attack when the game is built around the shoulder buttons, felt like I was doing way more bullet management than usual. Not much variety in the spells, it all felt like a bit of an after-thought.

Moonlight Greatsword run next I guess.

Guerrilla

So I rented this on Monday last week and am now 20hours in and in love with it as everyone else is. Two questions regarding technicalities though.

1. I now want to buy the digital complete edition (currently I'm playing the rented standard disc version) Will my save carry over if I return the disc and continue with the digital complete edition?

2. To start the DLC, can I finish the main game and start continue playing the dlc without starting a new game, or will the dlc only be availabe if I start anew?

Faenix1

Before I start is there any missables and that I should know about before hand?

Tried googling and read something about beating Parrl before Rom makes it easier, or something, later What's that about?

(Played Demons and Dark, skipped Dark 2 though I do own it lol)

So I rented this on Monday last week and am now 20hours in and in love with it as everyone else is. Two questions regarding technicalities though.

1. I now want to buy the digital complete edition (currently I'm playing the rented standard disc version) Will my save carry over if I return the disc and continue with the digital complete edition?

2. To start the DLC, can I finish the main game and start continue playing the dlc without starting a new game, or will the dlc only be availabe if I start anew?

1. If it's the same region then it should work. (Although I've had some odd experiences—e.g. My UK Dark Souls save was incompatible with my EU Prepare to Die Edition...)

2. Completing the game will put you straight into NG+, so you need to do the DLC areas before completing the game, or when you get there on NG+—since the DLC areas are probably the hardest in the game, though, the latter might give you a headache.

myco666

Before I start is there any missables and that I should know about before hand?

Tried googling and read something about beating Parrl before Rom makes it easier, or something, later What's that about?

(Played Demons and Dark, skipped Dark 2 though I do own it lol)

Only thing that comes to mind is the 'secret' ending as you can screw up questlines that give it. Well beating Paarl before Rom makes it easier as you get more Echoes to level up but I don't think that is necessary at all.

taybul

Played around with the spells, literally the first time I've ever equipped them since getting the game despite beating it many times etc, etc.... aaaaand not really feeling them. Maybe they're more fun for PvP? But for PvE I played through from start to Cleric Beast on a NG+3 character and thought they were more trouble than they were worth. It feels a bit jarring pressing square as your main attack when the game is built around the shoulder buttons, felt like I was doing way more bullet management than usual. Not much variety in the spells, it all felt like a bit of an after-thought.

Playing through a new Str-Arc character, using Arcane for the first time and nearly halfway through the game you get executioner's gloves which I though, finally something potentially useful. Cast it the first time, did double-digit damage. Essentially arcane pocket sand.

Started a new game today (2nd playthrough) using a Skill based build. I cannot believe how easily I beat
Father Gascoigne
today. 1 shot and only used 2 health vials. Once you get this parry system down, it is so powerful.

Going to go slow and hopefully meet all the npc's I missed and the areas I missed this time. I know I missed several boss fights. Looking forward to it. Using the Threaded Cane, such a classy weapon. Haha.

Started a new game today (2nd playthrough) using a Skill based build. I cannot believe how easily I beat
Father Gascoigne
today. 1 shot and only used 2 health vials. Once you get this parry system down, it is so powerful.

Going to go slow and hopefully meet all the npc's I missed and the areas I missed this time. I know I missed several boss fights. Looking forward to it. Using the Threaded Cane, such a classy weapon. Haha.

Yeah, viscerals can be a bit insane. I equipped the runes that give you 20% more visceral damage, 300hp back on visceral, and 2 bullets back on visceral. I killed the chalice dungeon BSB using this technique. :p

Yeah, viscerals can be a bit insane. I equipped the runes that give you 20% more visceral damage, 300hp back on visceral, and 2 bullets back on visceral. I killed the chalice dungeon BSB using this technique. :p
Yea I plan on using guns a lot more in this playthrough. I will probably be using those same runes.

use the regain HP after a vis, who needs bullets when you can one punch everything

The only spells I really like are Tiny Tonitrus and Black Sky Eye, A Call Beyond just has really poor tracking. I swear the enemies that use it on you are more accurate than when you use it on enemies. I still haven't used Accursed Brew yet though.

Walked through Yahar'Gul last night and holy moly, am I at one heck of a wall, this bell maiden set up is pretty frustrating, excited to tackle it again tonight.

Raptor

Ok so far have the Hunter Set, I have leveled VIT like 4 times now, and the Saw Cleaver like 2 times, killed the Cleric Beast,
have a Music Box and Im on the hunt for this child mom
:O. opened all shortcuts and killed pretty much everyone in the whole area, the only thing left for me to kill is the big ass pig lols.

Where is Gascoigne?

Thats the only thing left in here right?

Should I farm more levels? Is there anything I missed?

Ok so far have the Hunter Set, I have leveled VIT like 4 times now, and the Saw Cleaver like 2 times, killed the Cleric Beast,
have a Music Box and Im on the hunt for this child mom
:O. opened all shortcuts and killed pretty much everyone in the whole area, the only thing left for me to kill is the big ass pig lols.

Where is Gascoigne?

Thats the only thing left in here right?

Should I farm more levels? Is there anything I missed?
He's passed the area where you get a flaming boulder lobbed at you. If you haven't found that yet you haven't explored enough.

Raptor

He's passed the area where you get a flaming boulder lobbed at you. If you haven't found that yet you haven't explored enough.

Alright.

EDIT:

Ok correct me if Im wrong but since I always like to have a General goal in a game and since Im going for a pure STR build, I need to search for a weapon that has S in the STR scaling thingy right?

Meanwhile I keep upgrading the saw cleaver?

Is a little confursing but I think Im more or less getting used to it.

neoism

Yeah the balance compared to main game is way off. I still like the added challenge as the base game hasn't offered any challenge in months for me. I would still recommend you to try to get through that area since the boss there is probably my favorite and I love the second half of the area.

nah the main game was waay too easy.. the Fishing Hamlet is hilarious though lol... I died alot also but it wasn't too bad..

Alright.

EDIT:

Ok correct me if Im wrong but since I always like to have a General goal in a game and since Im going for a pure STR build, I need to search for a weapon that has S in the STR scaling thingy right?

There are pretty few S caling weapons but more lower scaling stats weapons with pasive abilities

Funny enough the starter weapons in BB have an a lower scaling so any build, in mostly any starter decision can wield any weapon.

Jombie

I beat the game on NG+6 over the weekend. I've never really gone passed NG+3 or so in Souls - subsequent playthroughs feel more balanced in Bloodborne. Enemies and bosses hit ridiculously hard, but I find it more enjoyable and intense at this level.

Alright.

EDIT:

Either wait to unlock the kirkhammer or run through the first portion of the DLC to get the whirligig saw. My advice is get the whirligig saw.

Squeezed past VA today, man what a battle. Not really sure where I'm supposed to be going next but I stumbled upon the Forgotten woods. Cool ass area that I will enjoy exploring. Been asking a bunch of in the OT but I have a few more:

1. What are shiny coins for?
2. Is it worth it to buy Ludwigs Holy Blade or firearm? (I am currently using the axe and the Lightning mace)
3. When do I get the ability to put runes on my weapon? I think I have three but I'm not sure what to do with them or if that's what they are for.
4. Do you need to buy the 10k key at the shop?
5. I have the "red jeweled brooch" and some kind of coin I think from the battle with VA, is there anything I should be doing with this or will it happen naturally as the game moves on?
6. Am I handicapping myself by summoning NPC hunters in boss battles?

Sorry for all the questions and as always thank you very much for any help.

Squeezed past VA today, man what a battle. Not really sure where I'm supposed to be going next but I stumbled upon the Forgotten woods. Cool ass area that I will enjoy exploring. Been asking a bunch of in the OT but I have a few more:

1. What are shiny coins for?
2. Is it worth it to buy Ludwigs Holy Blade or firearm? (I am currently using the axe and the Lightning mace)
3. When do I get the ability to put runes on my weapon? I think I have three but I'm not sure what to do with them or if that's what they are for.
4. Do you need to buy the 10k key at the shop?
5. I have the "red jeweled brooch" and some kind of coin I think from the battle with VA, is there anything I should be doing with this or will it happen naturally as the game moves on?
6. Am I handicapping myself by summoning NPC hunters in boss battles?

Sorry for all the questions and as always thank you very much for any help.

Let's see,
1. Nothing much. Just to leave a breadcrumb trail. I don't know of anyone that uses them.
2. Ludwig's holy blade is amazeballs. I used it for the rest of the game after getting it.
3. When you're facing the grand cathedral, turn left. That will lead to an area you haven't explored in which you will eventually get the tool you need.
4. Nope, it is just a shortcut if you don't wanna kill the BSB first. If you have, you can go the long way around (from the church workshop) to unlock it, which you might have already done.
5. Go see the girl in central yharnam. Or you can use it for a gem I think.
6. It's more fun when you beat them solo. I would try to do it solo if you can. It's normal to get stuck on a boss for a while.

Let's see,
1. Nothing much. Just to leave a breadcrumb trail. I don't know of anyone that uses them.
2. Ludwig's holy blade is amazeballs. I used it for the rest of the game after getting it.
3. When you're facing the grand cathedral, turn left. That will lead to an area you haven't explored in which you will eventually get the tool you need.
4. Nope, it is just a shortcut if you don't wanna kill the BSB first. If you have, you can go the long way around (from the church workshop) to unlock it, which you might have already done.
5. Go see the girl in central yharnam. Or you can use it for a gem I think.
6. It's more fun when you beat them solo. I would try to do it solo if you can. It's normal to get stuck on a boss for a while.

Thank man.

1. So coins are useless lol.
2. Will buy it and try it. Do I need different firearms if all I use the gun for is parrying?
3. Will do, I explored a bit before killing VA, will go back as I obviously missed something.
4. Gotchya, already killed BSB.
5. Ahh, should've remembered her.
6. I was afraid you'd say that, lol, will try soloing from now on.

Thanks again!!

Coins aren't useless, there's a similar item in all the Souls games and can be helpful when exploring new areas - drop them to tell yourself if you've already been down a path, or want to come back here etc. The first couple of times through the Forbidden Woods they really helped me.

RDreamer

Spent the last two days really trying to get into Bloodborne and I just can't. I feel like whoever designed this thing did pretty much everything against my personal gaming tastes. I feel like every few seconds there's a new things to be annoyed at in it. I think I threw my controller at the wall from bullshit about six times yesterday and twice today and turned it off. Sad, because I'm in such a draught of games right now and I really wanted to get into it.

My main problem is with the gameplay loop. If there's one thing I freaking hate in games it's redoing what I've already done and that seems to be practically 90% of the game. I'm not the best at action games, so that really doesn't help. There's no fucking map and I have a pretty bad sense of direction and just really hate not being able to visualize where the fuck I am. There's a lot of bullshit that seems to happen to me, too, like getting attacked by someone through a goddamned wall.

I've probably spent like 7 or 8 hours with the game (not entirely sure), but I have beaten a boss yet. I fought Father Gascoigne and that just wasn't pretty. Friend of mine said there's another boss in the area I should have faced before him, and I'm assuming it's past the two huge asshole dogs that mauled the shit out of me in 3 seconds and made me not want to go back because it meant going through that stupid gauntlet of bullshit for the 50th time only to probably get mauled again.

Anyway, sorry for my rant Bloodborne gaf. I'm glad someone is having fun with the game, I suppose. As for me, I'm glad my roommate bought it and not me.

Spent the last two days really trying to get into Bloodborne and I just can't. I feel like whoever designed this thing did pretty much everything against my personal gaming tastes. I feel like every few seconds there's a new things to be annoyed at in it. I think I threw my controller at the wall from bullshit about six times yesterday and twice today and turned it off. Sad, because I'm in such a draught of games right now and I really wanted to get into it.

My main problem is with the gameplay loop. If there's one thing I freaking hate in games it's redoing what I've already done and that seems to be practically 90% of the game. I'm not the best at action games, so that really doesn't help. There's no fucking map and I have a pretty bad sense of direction and just really hate not being able to visualize where the fuck I am. There's a lot of bullshit that seems to happen to me, too, like getting attacked by someone through a goddamned wall.

I've probably spent like 7 or 8 hours with the game (not entirely sure), but I have beaten a boss yet. I fought Father Gascoigne and that just wasn't pretty. Friend of mine said there's another boss in the area I should have faced before him, and I'm assuming it's past the two huge asshole dogs that mauled the shit out of me in 3 seconds and made me not want to go back because it meant going through that stupid gauntlet of bullshit for the 50th time only to probably get mauled again.

Anyway, sorry for my rant Bloodborne gaf. I'm glad someone is having fun with the game, I suppose. As for me, I'm glad my roommate bought it and not me.

Couple tips, you can use pebbles to lure individual enemies (so you don't face e.g. both wolves at once).

Another thing is you can basically run past most of the enemies. For instance, the big group at the bonfire in central Yharnam, you can just run right past them and they won't chase (usually).

RDreamer

Couple tips, you can use pebbles to lure individual enemies (so you don't face e.g. both wolves at once).

Another thing is you can basically run past most of the enemies. For instance, the big group at the bonfire in central Yharnam, you can just run right past them and they won't chase (usually).

Yeah I actually did kind of get to face only one of the wolves, but he mauled the shit out of me... by attacking me through a wall. Apparently just don't fucking count on walls protecting you at all.

Most ridiculous wall attack so far was when I was standing outside a building against the wall changing something in my menu and literally the attack came through the house's wall, not even with a corner. Straight through.

Oh yeah some of my other complaints I somehow forgot: how the shit do you aim Molotov cocktails? It's so beyond bad I can't even describe it. I've wasted probably more than I've hit.

Also is the gun supposed to literally do nothing at all? Because it doesn't do anything.

Yeah I actually did kind of get to face only one of the wolves, but he mauled the shit out of me... by attacking me through a wall. Apparently just don't fucking count on walls protecting you at all.

Most ridiculous wall attack so far was when I was standing outside a building against the wall changing something in my menu and literally the attack came through the house's wall, not even with a corner. Straight through.

Oh yeah some of my other complaints I somehow forgot: how the shit do you aim Molotov cocktails? It's so beyond bad I can't even describe it. I've wasted probably more than I've hit.

Also is the gun supposed to literally do nothing at all? Because it doesn't do anything.

Lock on for throwing molotovs (R3). Gun is for parrying, not for damage generally. Basically you shoot an enemy right before they attack you. It will stagger them, and if you walk up close to them and hit R1 before they get up you'll do an extremely effective visceral attack (gut stab).

gogosox82

Guns aren't for damage for the most part. They are to provide an opportunity to attack. When the enemy is about to attack, press r2 and the enemy will go into a stunned state and you can perform what is called a visceral attack if your close enough to the enemy.

You need to be locked on to throw molotovs correctly.

There is a shortcut that lets you skip fighting the wolves altogether (as well as most of the mobs). I would search around for it and use it if I were you.

myco666

nah the main game was waay too easy.. the Fishing Hamlet is hilarious though lol... I died alot also but it wasn't too bad..

I don't think the main game was that much easier when compared to Souls games. But what I meant by the balance being way off is that the main game doesn't really prepare you for DLC.

Is this your first Soulsborne game RDreamer? Attacking through walls is pretty much a series standard. Some people don't like it, but a lot do - look at it this way if an enemy can attack you through a wall, you can attack them through a wall.

If you're using a wall for cover as you heal just stand a little further away from it so their attacks don't connect - you can actually do the same thing out in the open without need for cover in the same way by baiting an attack then dashing out of the enemy's range giving you time to heal as they recover from their missed swing. Most long time Souls players probably learnt all this in Demon's Souls so forget this kind of thing can get new players.

I'd stick with it - Soulsborne games can offer a different way of playing to most other action games, but they're very rewarding too. When they click with you, they click and you get hooked!

Don't look at dying as losing progress but as an opportunity to learn from a mistake a do better next time - a lot of deaths are from greed in these games - you went for 3 hits on an enemy instead of 2 and ran out of stamina, you healed immediately instead of waiting for an opening to do so - that kind of thing.
You're GOING TO DIE, that's how Souls games are. It's not losing progress, yes it resets the areas enemies but in the same way dying in Mario does. It's that kind of mindset you have to come from. Once you know the area and finished looting and exploring, most zones either have shortcuts or relatively quick runs back the boss where you don't have to engage a single enemy - as someone said above you just run past everything to the fog gate.

Have you upgraded your weapon yet? There's enough bloodshards in the first area to get your weapon to +2 I think and if you have good drops from the wolf-men enemies above and around the sewer area they drop them too and get you to +3 with a little farming, even +2 will help a lot against Gascoigne. The wolf men are good practice for parrying with the gun too which is very useful for Gascoigne and the whole game in general. Also fully explore the area, there is an NPC in one of the houses that gives you an item specifically to help in that boss fight. Also if you're online summon other players to help you, it can make bosses too easy but it's there to be used and co-op is fun.

Tak3n

Banned

use a guide, will change your whole ethos on the game as it sounds like you are beyond frustrated, those wolves by the way can not go through doors, and there is a door right near there

anyway use this guide before giving up, he tells you what to expect when to expect it, what shortcuts to open up etc etc

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps4/805577-bloodborne/faqs/71399

N.B there will be people who would go insane at the though of you using a guide as they feel the only true way it to learn and adapt yourself, but if you are about to give up this will help no end

Sulik2

Use a guide to get past Central Yarnham. Its badly designed, having a guide makes a huge difference. Bloodborne starts incredibly poorly. Past FG it starts making way more sense. Also, in most cases once you explore, open the shortcuts and pick up items you can just run through areas without getting hit and get back to the bosses.

RDreamer

Guns aren't for damage for the most part. They are to provide an opportunity to attack. When the enemy is about to attack, press r2 and the enemy will go into a stunned state and you can perform what is called a visceral attack if your close enough to the enemy.

You need to be locked on to throw molotovs correctly.
I've tried that and it doesn't seem to do anything, but maybe I fucked up. Would be nice of the game to show me this shit.

There is a shortcut that lets you skip fighting the wolves altogether (as well as most of the mobs). I would search around for it and use it if I were you.

I thought I found a shortcut around, that's how I got to that Father boss, but I honestly don't see any other area I haven't been in. Would be nice if the game had a fucking map. I looked online but I still don't see where else to go around the wolves. I could go through them, but at this point that beginning section bores me to fucking tears and I don't know if I can bring myself to do it again. Maybe I'll try running if I do get back to the game.

Use a guide to get past Central Yarnham. Its badly designed, having a guide makes a huge difference. Bloodborne starts incredibly poorly. Past FG it starts making way more sense. Also, in most cases once you explore, open the shortcuts and pick up items you can just run through areas without getting hit and get back to the bosses.

Well, at least someone admits it's badly designed. So far my experience with Bloodborne feels like everyone was lying to me about the game. "It's fair they say," meanwhile I get attack through fucking walls. "It's so well designed" they say meanwhile the first area is a goddamned mess and there's no map to help visualize anything.

use a guide, will change your whole ethos on the game as it sounds like you are beyond frustrated, those wolves by the way can not go through doors, and there is a door right near there

anyway use this guide before giving up, he tells you what to expect when to expect it, what shortcuts to open up etc etc

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps4/805577-bloodborne/faqs/71399

N.B there will be people who would go insane at the though of you using a guide as they feel the only true way it to learn and adapt yourself, but if you are about to give up this will help no end

I have no problem using guides, but it feels kind of ridiculous that you have to in order to play this...

Is this your first Soulsborne game RDreamer?

No. I played a decent chunk of Demon's Souls but stopped because it was getting terribly boring and I was annoyed at the invasion mechanic at the time. I remember the first areas in Demon's Souls being infinitely better designed that this bullshit here, though.

Attacking through walls is pretty much a series standard. Some people don't like it, but a lot do - look at it this way if an enemy can attack you through a wall, you can attack them through a wall.

But... I can't. I've tried doing it to them and failed over and over again. Maybe it's because my weapon is shorter? Still, it's ridiculous because it looks like I should be able to hit them and they do hit me.

I'd stick with it - Soulsborne games can offer a different way of playing to most other action games, but they're very rewarding too. When they click with you, they click and you get hooked!

That's my problem so far. There's no actual reward. I think I'm a different sort of gamer than most and I like things happening in the story as a reward or getting something really rad, but it sounds like you don't get nice loot drops from bosses and nothing really happens. I played like 6-8 hours so far and my crowning triumph is opening a fucking gate. Woohoo to that... =/

Don't look at dying as losing progress but as an opportunity to learn from a mistake a do better next time - a lot of deaths are from greed in these games - you went for 3 hits on an enemy instead of 2 and ran out of stamina, you healed immediately instead of waiting for an opening to do so - that kind of thing.
You're GOING TO DIE, that's how Souls games are. It's not losing progress, yes it resets the areas enemies but in the same way dying in Mario does. It's that kind of mindset you have to come from. Once you know the area and finished looting and exploring, most zones either have shortcuts or relatively quick runs back the boss where you don't have to engage a single enemy - as someone said above you just run past everything to the fog gate.

That's why I think the central gameplay loop in this isn't for me. I'm the sort of person that saves every 3 seconds no matter what happens in a game because I fucking hate hate HATE redoing things. I hate it with all the passion of my being. You should see me play Fallout or Bioshock. *Save* *Picks something out of a barrel* *save* *kills one enemy* *Save*

Have you upgraded your weapon yet? There's enough bloodshards in the first area to get your weapon to +2 I think and if you have good drops from the wolf-men enemies above and around the sewer area they drop them too and get you to +3 with a little farming, even +2 will help a lot against Gascoigne. The wolf men are good practice for parrying with the gun too which is very useful for Gascoigne and the whole game in general. Also fully explore the area, there is an NPC in one of the houses that gives you an item specifically to help in that boss fight. Also if you're online summon other players to help you, it can make bosses too easy but it's there to be used and co-op is fun.

I've leveled up. I didn't know upgrading weapons was a thing. Thanks game! You're a real fucking dick, Bloodborne. In fact yesterday my weapon just said some cryptic fucking message and had to google search it to see where the hell to take it to repair.

From what you're saying.... i don't think Bloodborne is going to be your game.

I'll add in my two cents though.

You can run through most areas and avoid fighting. Especially running back to bosses. I never fight my way back. Just sprint to fog door.

Upgrade your weapons. Cannot stress this enough.

Abuse corridors and stuff to crowd control your enemies. Those werewolves you're talking about ate easily cheesed by running through that door near them and they stand at the door trying to attack you but they can't get in. Wait for them to attack and then hit them. Takes a minute or so but is the easiest way to kill them.

Practice the gun parry. It makes so many fights easier. Work on getting a sense of timimg with enemies. You'll figure it out.

A lot of times when i go into a new area i spend all my blood echoes and then just explore. I'm not really trying to get to the boss as much as I'm trying to find upgrade materials and just locate the boss. Once you find the shortcuts, you can then worry about the boss.

Have you opened the shortcut to the left of the central yharnam lamp? If so, after you go down the the 2 sets of stairs there will be a building (and door) directly straight ahead. If you enter it, you can go upstairs, and then exit onto the great bridge, which bypasses the wolves.

RDreamer

Have you opened the shortcut to the left of the central yharnam lamp? If so, after you go down the the 2 sets of stairs there will be a building (and door) directly straight ahead. If you enter it, you can go upstairs, and then exit onto the great bridge, which bypasses the wolves.

Yeah that's the shortcut I opened. I'll try that again, though I thought I searched over there for something, but the maps I found online didn't seem to really conclude that there was anything over there either.

Sulik2

Well, at least someone admits it's badly designed. So far my experience with Bloodborne feels like everyone was lying to me about the game. "It's fair they say," meanwhile I get attack through fucking walls. "It's so well designed" they say meanwhile the first area is a goddamned mess and there's no map to help visualize anything.

I have no problem using guides, but it feels kind of ridiculous that you have to in order to play this...

Never feel bad about using a guide in a Souls game. They are created to be obtuse, if you happen to be the one to figure something out cool, but its much better to use a guide when you get stuck. The combat is the main part of these games that is rewarding, not bashing your head trying to figure out where to go.

I was in your exact situation with Bloodborne, about to give up on it in Central Yarnham and I rank Dark Souls in my top 5 of all time. Then I pulled out a guide, found out how to avoid the werewolves, how to get to the cleric beast and then summoned a couple of players to fight Father Gasciogne. Past that point the level design, enemies and exploration seemed way more balanced and rewarding and I can't stop playing the game now.

RDreamer

I was toying with another try, but then I remembered the other thing that pisses me off about the gameplay loop here, too. Sure you can run past everything to get to a boss easier than fighting, but if you die to that boss you have to fucking farm blood vials and shit again anyway.

Top Bottom