• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Melchiah

82 hours? Just for getting from start to end? That is pretty long for this game. I think I got through the game in 30-40 hours with everything done aside from Chalices the first time through.

That includes acquiring the Beast Claw from the Ailing Loran chalice, and the timer never stops during the breaks. I don't think it would be much below that even when accounting those, as the first chalices were pretty easy at that point.

e53XKvWl.jpg

EDIT: For comparison, it took me 182 hours to complete Dragon Age: Inquisition, without the DLCs, and I imagine it's well above the average playthrough time. I just like to take my time with games. ;)

1OxKTQVl.jpg

Huh, that's pretty fast for a first playthrough. It took me 82 hours, but I did go with online guides to access all the optional content.

I liked all the endings, but I just wish they had more lengthy and rewarding closing video sequences. The DLC ending was more disappointing to me in that regard.
No guides for me. My next playthrough I will really try and discover everything.

How do I find the Lecture Building? I hear it's really good for grinding. Any other places? Cheers!
The best place for grinding outside Chalice Dungeons is the part between Micolash and Wet Nurse imo - the 3 Shadows of Yarnham, then let the two pigs and the 5 SoY kill each other and you pick off who's left, then there's another couple of SoY down the stairs to the side. With all 3 Moon runes equipped that run is the best ratio of time/blood echoes I think.

Now get that thing to +9 before fighting any boss. Going through the DLC at low levels is pain in the ass and I didn't even care fighting the enemies when I got access to the DLC. Just made the run for weapons and materials. Party cave was really something when you just run in.
Yeah I don't think I was able to do much of the dlc the first time at level 60 something with I think +6 weapons. I can't imagine Ludwig at level 44 with a +5 weapon. I'd probably pull my hair out. "My attacks dey do nuthing!!"

Melchiah

How do I find the Lecture Building? I hear it's really good for grinding. Any other places? Cheers!

You get the Tonsil Stone after beating Vicar Amelia, from the NPCs in the windows that are lighted. I got mine in Forbidden Woods. When you have it, travel to the
right from the Grand Cathedral, where the two hunters and Executioners are, until the end of the path.

NinjaBoiX

Thanks guys, but...
The best place for grinding outside Chalice Dungeons is the part between Micolash and Wet Nurse imo - the 3 Shadows of Yarnham, then let the two pigs and the 5 SoY kill each other and you pick off who's left, then there's another couple of SoY down the stairs to the side. With all 3 Moon runes equipped that run is the best ratio of time/blood echoes I think.
Wow, I'm so clueless with this game!

The only thing I recognise from that whole paragraph is Shadow of Yarnham (the boss after forbidden woods right?) I appreciate the help but I think you might need to dumb it down a bit!

Moon Runes?

Micolash?

Wet Nurse?

I assume SoY is Shadow of Yarnham but isn't there just three of them? And how do you grind a boss fight? I'm confused...
You get the Tonsil Stone after beating Vicar Amelia, from the NPCs in the windows that are lighted. I got mine in Forbidden Woods. When you have it, travel to the
right from the Grand Cathedral, where the two hunters and Executioners are, until the end of the path.
Isn't that the path to Unseen Village after you kill Rom?

Fhtagn

Thanks guys, but...

The only thing I recognise from that whole paragraph is Shadow of Yarnham (the boss after forbidden woods right?) I appreciate the help but I think you might need to dumb it down a bit!

Moon Runes?

Micolash?

Wet Nurse?

I assume SoY is Shadow of Yarnham but isn't there just three of them? And how do you grind a boss fight? I'm confused...

The SoY show up again later. That's all end game stuff.

myco666

Yeah I don't think I was able to do much of the dlc the first time at level 60 something with I think +6 weapons. I can't imagine Ludwig at level 44 with a +5 weapon. I'd probably pull my hair out. "My attacks dey do nuthing!!"

Go try it. I promise that it will be fun!
Tried it at lvl30 with +9 Whirligig Saw and it was bullshit. Learned the fight well but god do I not recommend that to anyone.

Go try it. I promise that it will be fun!
Tried it at lvl30 with +9 Whirligig Saw and it was bullshit. Learned the fight well but god do I not recommend that to anyone.
I'd die in one hit to that jump he'll sometimes do when the battle starts, I'm never the best at soloing him, I just can not do it.

Ah, ok. I have the tonsil stone now, time to get grinding.

I'm nowhere near all that stuff yet I guess!

If you have Moon runes you can accrue blood echoes at a pretty ridiculous pace (at least for non-endgame stuff). Like... 15 or 16k per minute ish.

You'll want to farm the students in one of the lecture halls. Once you aggro them they will all try to cram through one door, so you can kill multiple at a time. Die to one so that you respawn at the nearby lamp, then afterwards you can use a bold hunter's mark to respawn/replenish the enemies after each run.

I didn't grind it too much, but it was nice when you needed a bit of cash.

Bladelaw

Thanks guys, but...

Moon Runes? Let you earn more echoes per kill

Micolash? close to end game boss

Wet Nurse? "end" boss

I assume SoY is Shadow of Yarnham but isn't there just three of them? And how do you grind a boss fight? I'm confused... They become regular enemies near the end of the game

My responses in bold should explain. Most of this stuff is near the end of the game. There's some other decent farming areas like the town near Darkbeast Paarl's arena but nothing compares to the last stretch of normal enemies.

EDIT: on the last bit that takes you to the lecture hall not the unseen village sorry.

NinjaBoiX

If you have Moon runes you can accrue blood echoes at a pretty ridiculous pace (at least for non-endgame stuff). Like... 15 or 16k per minute ish.
I actually have a moon rune now I look, but can't you only equip one rune at a time?
You'll want to farm the students in one of the lecture halls. Once you aggro them they will all try to cram through one door, so you can kill multiple at a time. Die to one so that you respawn at the nearby lamp, then afterwards you can use a bold hunter's mark to respawn/replenish the enemies after each run.
Why would I need to do that if I'm dying to them every time?

Just beat the game on my first offline blind playthrough. I'm sure I missed half the game cause I finished in 23 hours.

Last boss was incredibly frustrating until I figured out all of the tricks to him, well the ones I figured out to beat him. Not quite Gwyn level of awesome fight, but I think the fact of Gwyn being who he is and who he was, what he is doing, and that music just make that fight incredible.

I thought the game was great. Little disappointed in the length, and the ending made absolutely no sense, even for a Souls standpoint. I'm sure Vaati will teach me all about it now though.

Is time to sit down, make a coffee/tea and read all the stuff you collected before heading to a lore video.

That includes acquiring the Beast Claw from the Ailing Loran chalice, and the timer never stops during the breaks. I don't think it would be much below that even when accounting those, as the first chalices were pretty easy at that point.

e53XKvWl.jpg

EDIT: For comparison, it took me 182 hours to complete Dragon Age: Inquisition, without the DLCs, and I imagine it's well above the average playthrough time. I just like to take my time with games. ;)

1OxKTQVl.jpg

But DA I is just a grind sidequest game, the main stuff is like 12 hours without DLC

I think I have about 40 hours in DA:I and remember none of it. I did some story stuff, got sent back through time, did some other shit, walked around either finding shit for people, closing rifts or killing stuff for fur or something. "Herald of Andraste, fix this shit." "Sure." I also remember trying to court that hispanic chick in a lesbian relationship.

I actually have a moon rune now I look, but can't you only equip one rune at a time?

Why would I need to do that if I'm dying to them every time?

Re: runes, as of late game I was equipping 4 runes total simultaneously. I don't recall if it's different earlier in the game.

Second point: it's faster to use a bold hunter's mark, really short loading time for whatever reason. And they're pretty cheap in the store, so I just stock up on a crapload of them.

Mobius 1

Finally downloaded the expansion, but one small venture outside the cathedral has proved itself lethal. I suppose I should level up more before talking it.

I'm ever more in love with this title and it's lore. Miyazaki and team are legends.

Finally downloaded the expansion, but one small venture outside the cathedral has proved itself lethal. I suppose I should level up more before talking it.

I'm ever more in love with this title and it's lore. Miyazaki and team are legends.
I went there at level 41, it's rough to say the least, it wasn't my first time though. I can parry most of the hunters, especially the one that uses the beast cutter, but they take like 4 parries for them to die.

Melchiah

But DA I is just a grind sidequest game, the main stuff is like 12 hours without DLC

I did all the sidequests, except finding the bottles and mosaics, just like I did all the optional stuff in BB, and most of other games as well.

12 hours is a hyperbolic depreciation though.

I think I have about 40 hours in DA:I and remember none of it. I did some story stuff, got sent back through time, did some other shit, walked around either finding shit for people, closing rifts or killing stuff for fur or something. "Herald of Andraste, fix this shit." "Sure." I also remember trying to court that hispanic chick in a lesbian relationship.

I still fondly remember most of it, but since Arkham Knight I've been hit with open world fatigue, and I might feel somewhat differently if I'd play it now.

I'm all for different kind of experiences; from BB to DA:I, from Destiny to Driveclub, from Resogun to The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. It's all good.

I still fondly remember most of it, but since Arkham Knight I've been hit with open world fatique, and I might feel somewhat differently if I'd play it now.

I'm all for different kind of experiences; from BB to DA:I, from Destiny to Driveclub, from Resogun to The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. It's all good.
I've had open world fatigue for years, but I was able to muscle through that till the game just made me bored. Not enough story I think. Granted Bloodborne has that problem too, but the core gameplay is fun and the environments are great looking. I hope when I eventually sit down and play Witcher 3 I can have some fun with it.

I've already ran Skill/Arcane and I know all about the tools, it's just my weirdest build. Good against somethings, just bleh in others. I don't hate that character at all, just the damage output is just weird. Elemental gems are fuck all useless so I don't even get much of a benefit from that either.

I missed this post but, no, no, no! Elemental gems are the only ones you'd be looking for with an arcane character (unless you mean the physical ones with a flat elemental buff, yeah those aren't worth it). The lost variation of weapons are the ones that you can get the most out of your elemental gems. For most of the game you'd be equipped with a weapon on fire gems, coupled with oil urns for twice the damage. The ideal arcane weapon would have

1 radial cold gem (arcane scaling up)
1 triangle fire/bolt gem
1 waning fire/bolt gem

Melchiah

I've had open world fatigue for years, but I was able to muscle through that till the game just made me bored. Not enough story I think. Granted Bloodborne has that problem too, but the core gameplay is fun and the environments are great looking. I hope when I eventually sit down and play Witcher 3 I can have some fun with it.

Well, I've only played a handful of open world games so far; three last gen, and three this gen. So, it didn't take that long for me to get bored with them. ;) I'm fine with open world games that have more restricted areas though, like DA:I and Infamous. I enjoyed DA:I and its characters, but it seems I can't bring myself to continue Witcher 3. I guess it's a combination of too large and daunting game world (given my habit of completing all the sidequests), clunky combat, and a main character that just isn't to my liking.

I missed this post but, no, no, no! Elemental gems are the only ones you'd be looking for with an arcane character (unless you mean the physical ones with a flat elemental buff, yeah those aren't worth it). The lost variation of weapons are the ones that you can get the most out of your elemental gems. For most of the game you'd be equipped with a weapon on fire gems, coupled with oil urns for twice the damage. The ideal arcane weapon would have

1 triangle fire/bolt gem
1 waning fire/bolt gem
I've never had a lost version of any of the weapons I've used. Never put the time into hunting for them or grinding out the materials to +10 one of the damn things over something I found just playing the game.

1 triangle fire/bolt gem
1 waning fire/bolt gem

It would mean grinding root chalices, chalices materials and then save or gring the upgrade material for that specific weapon.

It would mean grinding root chalices, chalices materials and then save or gring the upgrade material for that specific weapon.
Which is why I've never really dealt with lost, uncanny weapons. I have a few, but the ones I've found in the chalice dungeons were always just weapons I've never used. I don't even think I have a lost or uncanny Threaded Cane. And I've ran a good amount of chalice dungeons too, Root and all.

^After opening a single depth 5 r/c/f dungeon, you can search for glyphs and enter them as many times as you want without the cost of materials, assuming you have the needed root chalice with you. I would've saved a lot of time by knowing which bosses had these ideal gems, in the beginning I spent time not knowing what I was looking for.

I'm down for starting a small arcane guide for all of this. If you play bb regularly, it's totally worth it I swear :)

^After opening a single depth 5 r/c/f dungeon, you can search for glyphs and enter them as many times as you want without the cost of materials, assuming you have the needed root chalice with you. I would've saved a lot of time by knowing which bosses had these ideal gems, in the beginning I spent time not knowing what I was looking for.

I'm down for starting a small arcane guide for all of this. If you play bb regularly, it's totally worth it I swear :)
I have an FRC Isz on my NG++ not using Arcane character. I think I made it to Defiled Amygdala on my Skill/Arcane character and said "fuck it" and stopped cause I hate Defiled Amygdala.

myco666

I'd die in one hit to that jump he'll sometimes do when the battle starts, I'm never the best at soloing him, I just can not do it.

Yeah it would be pretty hard as every big hit kills you in one and any combo also kills you if you get hit by more than one strike. But I would still recommend to try it after few levels just to see if it would be more manageable.

Which is why I've never really dealt with lost, uncanny weapons. I have a few, but the ones I've found in the chalice dungeons were always just weapons I've never used. I don't even think I have a lost or uncanny Threaded Cane. And I've ran a good amount of chalice dungeons too, Root and all.

But you don't need to find them. You can just buy them from 3rd Layer of Isz for 60k.

It would be useful for everyone who wants to try Arcane

But you don't need to find them. You can just buy them from 3rd Layer of Isz for 60k.

Now you reminds me I need to finish that area, brrrrrrr

Yeah it would be pretty hard as every big hit kills you in one and any combo also kills you if you get hit by more than one strike. But I would still recommend to try it after few levels just to see if it would be more manageable.

I haven't dealt with an Isz chalice in months...Both my characters are stuck at Defiled Amydgala. I know my str/arcane was...I don't think my Skill/Bloodtinge even touched Defiled yet.

Correct me if I'm wrong: so if you wanted to do any RCF dungeon, you'd have to do the following:
- Create the regular fixed dungeon with the required materials
- Beat it to acquire the root chalice of that dungeon
- Create the root RCF dungeon with I guess the same materials (plus the bonus offerings)
- Search for free from then on

Does it take a long time to farm for those extra materials to make the root version?

Correct me if I'm wrong: so if you wanted to do any RCF dungeon, you'd have to do the following:
- Create the regular fixed dungeon with the required materials
- Beat it to acquire the root chalice of that dungeon
- Create the root RCF dungeon with I guess the same materials (plus the bonus offerings)
- Search for free from then on

Does it take a long time to farm for those extra materials to make the root version?
Yes. Though if you're on a NG+ cycle I think you can just buy them now.

myco666

I haven't dealt with an Isz chalice in months...Both my characters are stuck at Defiled Amydgala. I know my str/arcane was...I don't think my Skill/Bloodtinge even touched Defiled yet.

Well you don't need to do Defiled in order to access Isz and it is really easy Chalice. There is also really good Arcane gem on third layer.

One warning though: You need to get at least one of the materials before you can buy it.

(For example Living String, even ig you are on NG+ you can't buy unless you get it first from Mother Brain)
Thanks for the clarification.
Well you don't need to do Defiled in order to access Isz and it is really easy Chalice. There is also really good Arcane gem on third layer.
I do them in an odd order and tend to not skip any. More my fault than anything else.

Man, when things click they click, was getting my ass kicked by Logarius so hard that I decided to summon help, when I couldn't find anyone I decided to give it another solo try. I then spent most of the fight staggering him and going to town. I had to dig into emergency bullets and the very last one staggered him from his air attack and I finished him with a visceral, most satisfying victory so far.

Fhtagn

Arcane build update: tonight while co-oping a depth 2 story chalice, I got a +13% fire gem for a random trash mob.

So I'm at +140 scaling on the LHB+6 now. Getting there!

Now that it's easy to get summons in the chalices they are a blast.

Ghazi

Brother lent me this game.

So... any advice for someone who's never played a Souls game?

I'm stuck on what my Origin should be.

It doesn't really matter unless you're trying to make a specific build, and even then it's not huge. Go with whatever you like.

Best advice would be to practice dodging (you are invincible during certain frames of the animation) through enemy attacks as well as getting accustomed to timing your attacks to while your enemy is vulnerable rather than mashing.

It doesn't really matter unless you're trying to make a specific build, and even then it's not huge. Go with whatever you like.

Best advice would be to practice dodging (you are invincible during certain frames of the animation) through enemy attacks as well as getting accustomed to timing your attacks to while your enemy is vulnerable rather than mashing.

Thanks.. played for a bit and got wastes in that first house. Lol.. came back with a vengeance. .

So I'm not familiar with the lore or story and have no clue as of yet on why I'm doing what I'm doing in game, does this change as the game progresses?

Edit: which weapon is the most fun to start with?

Ghazi

Thanks.. played for a bit and got wastes in that first house. Lol.. came back with a vengeance. .

So I'm not familiar with the lore or story and have no clue as of yet on why I'm doing what I'm doing in game, does this change as the game progresses?

No one did when they first played. Some thing will be explained vaguely, others you'll have to look up. It's just the nature of Souls games.

As for favorite starting weapon, I'd, personally, say the Saw Cleaver.

Can't go wrong with any. Hunter axe might be the easiest noob friendly weapon with its "spin2win" charged r2. But really all of the 3 starter weapons are fun.

Top Bottom