• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

So, fighting beasts with my arcane char, saw cleaver and fire gem is like easy mode.
But what's the best way to deal with the other enemies? Any tips or just use fire regardless ?

Anyway. Killed Amelia in my first try. I wanted to use my flame sprayer in the first place, but she was loosing health so fast that I was done with her before I remembered to try it lol.

My first encounter with her on my skill char was like another game.

Beast are weak to fire and Kin to arcane.

Found some nice triangle arcane gems and wonder what weapon I should use them with. Axe, cane?

Physical, cane and Axe, elemental....eh not worth using them unless you have a super buffed arcane character and yet you probaly need another special slot with elemental gem to do some good damage.

If you hadn't said the bolded, we'd now be on the same page. I would say "okay, I think it's the part where you emphasized R2 that threw me off, as for some reason I got stuck on this idea that strength affects heavy attacks more," and then everything would be alright. But now that I've read the bolded, I'm getting the impression that even in the case of a weapon like the Threaded Cane, which has exclusively physical damage, raising skill benefits your R1 attack more than your R2 attack. The idea that strength has a bonus in heavy attacks and skill has a bonus in quick attacks makes sense, but...still, in my current mental state, this would really feel like a huge revelation.

Those are just small bonuses on said moves like 1 point more of damage.

grmlin

Beast are weak to fire and Kin to arcane.

Physical, cane and Axe, elemental....eh not worth using them unless you have a super buffed arcane character and yet you probaly need another special slot with elemental gem to do some good damage.

Those are just small bonuses on said moves like 1 point more of damage.

thanks, I'll look into it tonight :)

Maybe I'll just try it, as the weapons are pretty cheap.

I'm still not having any success with the Amygdala Chalice....
Anyone online and mind helping me?
Most of the random help I've had so far has been useless, or I died through some malicious backhand stroke.

Anything in my stats that I can improve upon to have a better chance?

I'm still not having any success with the Amygdala Chalice....
Anyone online and mind helping me?
Most of the random help I've had so far has been useless, or I died through some malicious backhand stroke.

Anything in my stats that I can improve upon to have a better chance?

more HP would def help. Iirc don't move when amygdala jumps. She shouldn't land on you. Don't think I can help you since I don't have that chalice dungeon unlock. Assuming you mean the defined or cursed dungeon. Lost my original save file with everything unlock.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm getting utterly destroyed in The Old Hunters DLC. I'm still in the Hunter's Nightmare and at first I thought
Oh shit, it's one of those hunter minibosses! And then I quickly realised the place is full of them...

And now I'm stuck trying to kill this wolf looking human thing and I've nearly beaten 3 times now but I use up all my vials because the damage it does is ridiculous. I know it's moveset and now when to dodge but somehow it always manages to corner me. Any tips? I honestly feel like it's got more health than some bosses.

Raptor

The One Reborn down level 4.

Cb2jxVGW4AAquj9.jpg:orig

That fight was a lot harder than Rom at level 4 mainly because I never learned his pattern and I always killed him first try only using my reflexes.
Such a cool fight but too easy at a standard level which means you never get to experience it as intended unless you do a low level run.

Awsome stuff man!

So I went to Upper Cathedral Ward, everything was going smooth but then I saw oen of those little things that run when they see you and I went after it in a corridor, it was dark and before I took a swing at the thing I got grabbed and got eaten by one of those damn Cuthulu minions god damn it made me jump lol.

Of course I went to kill the damn thing after that tho, unlocked all doors, I also had a chance to pose for a picture:

And then went on my way and killed Celestial Emisary, such a weird and out there enemy design :O of course by that time I think I got like 1 Vial but I didnt went to the hunters dream instead went forward a window grabbed a exploding star thingy "a call beyond" and to a elevator, this Ebrietas boos is badass as all hell I stood there admiring it thinking what should I do so I strike him.

Me and my cooperator got killed but didnt seemed like a hard fight at all to me, will return tonight and kill the bastard!

Veelk

Banned
Walking through the Nightmare frontier, I see one of those crawly things that don't attack you but usually have a good blood stone of some kind. I rush to kill it.

*BOULDER OUT OF NO WHERE* YOU DIED

Wha...the f....WHO THROWS A BOULDER?!

Walking through the Nightmare frontier, I see one of those crawly things that don't attack you but usually have a good blood stone of some kind. I rush to kill it.

*BOULDER OUT OF NO WHERE* YOU DIED

Wha...the f....WHO THROWS A BOULDER?!
I hope you have some blue elixirs.

Lakitu

st5fu
I just can't get through The Old Hunters, it's by far the hardest piece of content I've ever played. It's relentless. I've only got 11 vials and I've finally after 6 hours managed to reach the first boss. Who managed to instakill me.

I read that I should probably go after I defeat Rom. I'm Level 51 and I only have a +6 weapon (Ludwig, Kirkhammer and Beast Cutter). So should I leave it for later?

Leave it for later. You can do it anytime before you finish the game (which will put you straight through to NG+, so keep that in mind).

Nerokis

Regarding phase 2 its much easier to doge the lightning attack out in the water, since it seems to start from the rock formation up on the ground, meaning you can see it on distance and have much more time to plan where you should go. Once i had him down to about 20% health left i buffed my saw cleawer with bolt and tried to be way to greedy with hitting him, and it actually worked pretty good (seems he gets sorta stunned after a few hits)

I will also add that i used runes that gives hp back and buff the attacks dps on visceral attacks. Meaning one succesful backstab/visceral attack and my health was back up to full = plenty of blood vials left for phase 2.

Cool, thanks for the advice. I'm going to give it another shot in an hour or so. The fight has been like a black hole for blood vials, so now I'm wishing I had thought to use that HP return rune from the beginning.

Charge? Damn it lol.

Haha, I had the same first impression as you. Got her to 50% or so on my first try, and figured she wouldn't take long at all. But she ended up being the most time consuming boss in the game for me.

And yeah, her charge is a pretty big part of the difficulty. You'll have to learn to watch out for it at all times, and realize avoiding it is as much about awareness as about reflexes. A single dodge will almost never get you out of the way, and you're probably going to want to rely on rolls more than quicksteps. Another thing I found useful, which I'll arbitrarily put into spoiler tags:
try to trigger the visceral when she's already well into her second phase. Once you get a handle on it, there's really no rush to get through phase 1.

But hey, maybe all this advice is moot, and she'll actually live up to your first impression of her.

Leave it for later. You can do it anytime before you finish the game (which will put you straight through to NG+, so keep that in mind).

It also feels like the lore stuff in the DLC is intended to flesh out what you learn going through the bulk of the main game. From that perspective, it's probably best to save it for the final stretch your first time around.

The DLC it adds nothing valuable to answer the questions of the main game but have its own unique lore and thematic, feels weird because the DLC is harder than late game enemies and bossses, even high tier chalices and timeline wise the DLC events happens in the middle of the main game

Nerokis

The DLC it adds nothing valuable to answer the questions of the main game but have its own unique lore and thematic, feels weird because the DLC is harder than late game enemies and bossses, even high tier chalices and timeline wise the DLC events happens in the middle of the main game

Really? The DLC has done a huge amount to flesh out the lore of Bloodborne's world. And it does speak to certain questions you'll have throughout the main game, about
Byrgenwerth, the Healing Church, the nature of the curse/scourge, Ludwig, the Plain Doll,
and so on.

How should I know when to enter that place if I dont know whats the last boss or last place.

:D

Well, certain things happen that definitely give you a feeling the end is near. By the time you have a level 9 weapon and you've hit level 70+, you're probably good to go to start the DLC.

The One Reborn down level 4.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cb2jxVGW4AAquj9.jpg:orig[IMG]

That fight was a lot harder than Rom at level 4 mainly because I never learned his pattern and I always killed him first try only using my reflexes.
Such a cool fight but too easy at a standard level which means you never get to experience it as intended unless you do a low level run.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I remember my encounter with him was just standing at his side and smashing away with the greatsword. Completely ignored the damage from the top since I was just healing it back with every swing.

I've only had an hour or so to play every few days so I've been struggling with Ludwig for what seems like quite a while.

Finally managed to get an evening where I could just keep at it and managed to finish him off. He's among the hardest bosses I've fought so far (Vicar Amelia is by far the worst) but once you've made a few good attempts he's not so bad, really.

Saved a video of the fight: http://youtu.be/uYDcCmCCo0g

Not particularly elegant but I was starting to take risks because I wanted it to be over!

Raptor

Well, certain things happen that definitely give you a feeling the end is near. By the time you have a level 9 weapon and you've hit level 70+, you're probably good to go to start the DLC.

Alright then :D Thanks.

Let's just say, that a good point to enter the DLC would be when you reach the second lantern of the frenzy place.
Frenzy place, ok, when I start to get frenzied like crazy and get a second lantern I will go to the Nightmare stuff.

Old Hunter queen killer was killed, oh crap third attemp fight.

You can crop the video in the screenshot app
I mean I know I could crop it, just wanted to keep the multiple attempts in. It's actually interesting watching me learn a good method after every attempt. Burial Blade was the weapon of choice there. Could've been worse, could've been an hour of fuck ups.

Orphan of Kos
downed, nightmare slain. Quick step is your best friend in that fight.

Now to get my shit fucked up by
that slumbering beast in the church

Nerokis

Alright, so...finished the DLC, and then the game.

First of all, I started Bloodborne around when it came out, but ended up falling off after killing Rom for various reasons. As someone who loves these games, it has long felt like a great shame that I ended up having such a limited and mixed experience with Bloodborne, and finishing it and loving it as much as I now do almost feels like atoning for a past sin. Between this and finishing Scholar of the First Sin (first time going through that version, and first time seeing the DLC), I'm feeling like I'm in a good place as I can now wait for DSIII in peace.

Secondly, I...I don't even know. Time to read The Paleblood Hunt, because while I have a faint idea what happened, I have no idea how it connects to everything else. My immediate impression? Don't click unless you've finished the game:

There's a layer of Dark Souls, where there's a lot of momentum toward perpetuating a particular cycle. I refused Gerhman, killed him, killed the Moon Presence, and then became a slime kid. Now what, I'm going to grow up to become another Kos-like figure? There's a little note in the workshop telling you that if you want to end the nightmare, you have to destroy the source of the scourge of beasts; it very much makes sense to imagine that was the Moon Presence. But it seems I had to become something else to do that. I had to "develop eyes," as the umbilical chords said. The dude in Mensis' Nightmare, Micosis or whatever, said that Kos turned "vacuous Rom" into something great, or something along those lines; it seems to have indirectly done the same to me. There's another note in the Healing Workshop that says the sky and the cosmos are one, which to me goes back to the Moon Presence, and that indirect relationship with Kos. It all traces back to her. In the Hunter's nightmare, Simon said it wasn't fair that the nightmare continued forever, just because our forefathers had sinned. From the outset of the DLC, a female voice (Maria, I'm assuming, who seems to have turned against what was being done) talks about an eternal curse, tracing to the same idea. Did killing the Moon Presence end the curse, or did I just serve to continue it further?

I could also be completely heading in the wrong direction with that rant. This game does a wonderful job giving you so many different pieces to work with, while still managing not to really give anything away. The ending (the one I got, anyway) is just the perfect amount of confusing.

Alright, so...finished the DLC, and then the game.

First of all, I started Bloodborne around when it came out, but ended up falling off after killing Rom for various reasons. As someone who loves these games, it has long felt like a great shame that I ended up having such a limited and mixed experience with Bloodborne, and finishing it and loving it as much as I now do almost feels like atoning for a past sin. Between this and finishing Scholar of the First Sin (first time going through that version, and first time seeing the DLC), I'm feeling like I'm in a good place as I can now wait for DSIII in peace.

Secondly, I...I don't even know. Time to read The Paleblood Hunt, because while I have a faint idea what happened, I have no idea how it connects to everything else. My immediate impression? Don't click unless you've finished the game:

There's a layer of Dark Souls, where there's a lot of momentum toward perpetuating a particular cycle. I refused Gerhman, killed him, killed the Moon Presence, and then became a slime kid. Now what, I'm going to grow up to become another Kos-like figure? There's a little note in the workshop telling you that if you want to end the nightmare, you have to destroy the source of the scourge of beasts; it very much makes sense to imagine that was the Moon Presence. But it seems I had to become something else to do that. I had to "develop eyes," as the umbilical chords said. The dude in Mensis' Nightmare, Micosis or whatever, said that Kos turned "vacuous Rom" into something great, or something along those lines; it seems to have indirectly done the same to me. There's another note in the Healing Workshop that says the sky and the cosmos are one, which to me goes back to the Moon Presence, and that indirect relationship with Kos. It all traces back to her. In the Hunter's nightmare, Simon said it wasn't fair that the nightmare continued forever, just because our forefathers had sinned. From the outset of the DLC, a female voice (Maria, I'm assuming, who seems to have turned against what was being done) talks about an eternal curse, tracing to the same idea. Did killing the Moon Presence end the curse, or did I just serve to continue it further?

I could also be completely heading in the wrong direction with that rant. This game does a wonderful job giving you so many different pieces to work with, while still managing not to really give anything away. The ending (the one I got, anyway) is just the perfect amount of confusing.

The ending you got means
you ascended to understand the great one knowlegde without fall into madness or being reduced into a mindless beast thanks to the umbilical cords. Turning you into a great one infant

If there is a Bloodborne 2, I guess FROM will take the first ending
where the Hunter survive the hunt nigh
t but still the beast curse is rampant until you take down all the great one influence or Hosts to end the beat curse from Yharman

grmlin

I can't believe I fucked up Eileens quest, again. Forgot to talk to her and now she is gone. Damnit.

I upgraded the Tonitrus to +6 and that is one cool weapon, only the small moveset and short range are a little underwhelming. Can't wait to try it on Rom tonight.

I miss my rifle spear though. The range of that thing was so good, especially in the forbidden woods.

I read that I should probably go after I defeat Rom. I'm Level 51 and I only have a +6 weapon (Ludwig, Kirkhammer and Beast Cutter). So should I leave it for later?

You're going there before Rom? Yikes! The DLC is supposed to be for endgame. It's harder than anything in the main game, especially its two hardest bosses that make any other boss in the game look like pussies.

I would leave it at the bare minimum until after you've completed 75-80% of the game. Unless you want something specific from it, you can safely leave it for right before the final boss (but mae sure you don't kill the final boss / go into NG+ as it will affect the DLC too and you'll be back to square one).

Raptor

Alright Ebrietas got killed by my chikage in my first attempt solo, I didnt even let her do the laser nor the charge, I pretty much went in to his side and slashed away blood style till I killed her.

Seriously this weapon at this level is OP as hell lol.

Love it.

Then went to the Nightmare of Mensis, killed a Hunter there, killed a
huge big ass spider, she was Shelob or something :O
then reached pretty far but I had no more vials and I thought I was close to a boss so I ran back to the hunters dream and put those 100k souls into bloodtinge and put a anticlockwise rune to pump up 15% more stamina, sick rune to be honest.

And then went to sleep, that place is insane god damn.

Top Bottom