• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

It has been a while since I used that character but what I remember gems were +25%, +24% and +23% but might be one percent lower each. Also had 50 on both Skill and Str though I don't know how much that matters with Church Pick.
I have never used that weapon. It is kind of a late weapon to plan my character around. Should use it one day.

hi guys, just got bloodborne (first souls game) - I really like fast paced weapons and hate slow gameplay - should I build skill mainly over strength? Also, should I focus on the gun talent point or the other one (don't have game open right now). I think I chose trouble childhood as my class.

I have so far beaten the first boss first try and the game is pretty easy so far. I have read some of this thread - some people are asking for "what boss to go for next", are you guys looking at guides or something?

Also, how do I do that stabbing move through the body which seems to do OP damage?

thanks!
if you like faster weapons you'll want to level skill since, for the most part that's the stat those weapons scale the best with.

Bloodtinge is mainly for guns but there are a couple of weapons that scale with it. Arcane is like a magic stat and it allows you to use the magic like items.

That attack is called a visceral. An enemy will be staggered if you shoot them with your gun at at the right moment before they land an attack. You follow up the stagger with a visceral. This also happens if you hit an enemy from behind with a charged attack.

ch4fx_

hi guys, just got bloodborne (first souls game) - I really like fast paced weapons and hate slow gameplay - should I build skill mainly over strength?

Also, how do I do that stabbing move through the body which seems to do OP damage?

Welcome good hunter.

The Saw Cleaver is (probably) your best/quickest bet for fast paced gameplay as its a starting weapon, so you can get it right away. It also scales off of strength so leveling up your strength stat will make this weapon more powerful. If you didn't pick the Saw Cleaver in the beginning, you can find the Saw Hunters Badge at the end of the sewers which will let you but the cleaver from the Hunters Dream.

EDIT - better info above.

Daante

Nice, any tips? I'll be facing him (her?) tonight -- just got the
Rakuyo
last night and want to put it to work.

It took me about 50 tries total.

- Fight him out in the open water.

- Learn to lure out his jump-towards-you-attack in phase 1 so you can get easy backstabs.

- Dont get greedy trying and thinking you can get many hits in a row in phase 1. If you want to be aggressive you will have to learn to dodge very frequently, and I found it to generally not pay off compared to being patient.

- Most of his attacks in phase 1 should be parryable, but i found it hard to pull off consistently.

- Phase 2 i tried to stick to his left side (my own right side) and be really close to him most of the times, hitting fast attacks when i saw the opening.

GL!

Raptor

hi guys, just got bloodborne (first souls game) - I really like fast paced weapons and hate slow gameplay - should I build skill mainly over strength? Also, should I focus on the gun talent point or the other one (don't have game open right now). I think I chose trouble childhood as my class.
I think for fast weapons SKL is what you shoudl level up for when you get a weapon called Blades of Mercy that as far as I know is the "weapon" to get for fast gameplay, but the thing is you have to talk to Eileen there on the sewers, she is a hunter dressed like a crow, you can either kill her or do her sidequest, to kill her you are pretty much very underpowered for her but maybe you get lucky, then you get a badge to be able to buy the weapon for 40000 Echoes I believe.
I have so far beaten the first boss first try and the game is pretty easy so far. I have read some of this thread - some people are asking for "what boss to go for next", are you guys looking at guides or something?
I think when asking about bosses is because some are optional, for instance if you fought Cleric Beast that is a optional boss right there, if you killed father Gascoigne that will unlock to continue the game normally.

thanks!

You can do that move by shoting an enemy just when he is about to hit you, it will make the enemy knel stuned and then get close and press R1, that will do a Visceral Attack for massive damage :)

Im still learning aswell though but I think that covers pretty much what you asked.

bestfieldscup

Neo Member
I think for fast weapons SKL is what you shoudl level up for when you get a weapon called Blades of Mercy that as far as I know is the "weapon" to get for fast gameplay, but the thing is you have to talk to Eileen there on the sewers, she is a hunter dressed like a crow, you can either kill her or do her sidequest, to kill her you are pretty much very underpowered for her but maybe you get lucky, then you get a badge to be able to buy the weapon for 40000 Echoes I believe.

I think when asking about bosses is because some are optional, for instance if you fought Cleric Beast that is a optional boss right there, if you killed father Gascoigne that will unlock to continue the game normally.

You can do that move by shoting an enemy just when he is about to hit you, it will make the enemy knel stuned and then get close and press R1, that will do a Visceral Attack for massive damage :)

Im still learning aswell though but I think that covers pretty much what you asked.

thanks, so if I focus skill, should I just put nothing into strength? Right now I still have the starter weapon.

Raptor

thanks, so if I focus skill, should I just put nothing into strength? Right now I still have the starter weapon.

yes basically you will do what i did, use the Saw Cleaver and upgraded it till +5 or +6 without puting anything in strenght, now you shoudl focus on leveling VIT to 30 and END to 25 more or less, then go all out on skill by that time you will be able to get that Blades of Mercy.

I can tell you exactly what to do to get it if you want, or if you want to discover it yourself is ok too, it involves that lady I talked about earlier, Eileen.

bestfieldscup

Neo Member
yes basically you will do what i did, use the Saw Cleaver and upgraded it till +5 or +6 without puting anything in strenght, now you shoudl focus on leveling VIT to 30 and END to 25 more or less, then go all out on skill by that time you will be able to get that Blades of Mercy.

I can tell you exactly what to do to get it if you want, or if you want to discover it yourself is ok too, it involves that lady I talked about earlier, Eileen.

Thanks, just got to he 2nd boss I think? The guy who turns into a werewolf. Wish this game didn't require a lot of time as I usually play in an hour at a time so I don't get a lot of attempts at the bosses!

thanks!

Skll is where faster weapons are, Str is more about stun enemies and deal high burst of damage.

My advice is to test weapons and use the one you like, most of the initial weapons dont have a huge disparity in Str/Skll stat so go and collect them all.

One of the few dedicated Skll weapons, the Blades of mercy is tied to a sidequest you maybe miss it if you dont find and help the Crow hunter.

Explore the game, just wander around and play the way you want to play. if you are stuck just ask and some of us will answer

Thanks, just got to he 2nd boss I think? The guy who turns into a werewolf. Wish this game didn't require a lot of time as I usually play in an hour at a time so I don't get a lot of attempts at the bosses!

If you open up the right shortcut you can get to gascoigne in like maybe 90 seconds.

bestfieldscup

Neo Member
Skll is where faster weapons are, Str is more about stun enemies and deal high burst of damage.

My advice is to test weapons and use the one you like, most of the initial weapons dont have a huge disparity in Str/Skll stat so go and collect them all.

One of the few dedicated Skll weapons, the Blades of mercy is tied to a sidequest you maybe miss it if you dont find and help the Crow hunter.

Explore the game, just wander around and play the way you want to play. if you are stuck just ask and some of us will answer

thanks, yeah right now I've just been doing whatever takes my fancy - exploring quite a bit and to be honest I'm just enjoying the lore. I haven't been much of a gamer for a few years and I bought a ps4 to try get into it a little more - I've tried a few games, farcry 4, cod etc and I can't play them for more than an hour without getting bored. Bloodborne is bringing me back to being a kid, was even thinking about the game whilst I was at university today lol (used to do this a ton when I was younger)

Veelk

Banned
I made some side mission progress.

Okay, you guys have no idea how much I freaked out over the things on the wall there. I might have mentioned here before that I don't like horror games. So, when I posted that "Nope" gif last night, I wasn't kidding. I was willing to play more, but as soon as I looked up and realized what that invisible hand that was always grabbing me up until now was, I freaked. the fuck. out.

But as I went to sleep, I kept thinking. How did this happen? Well, that was because I killed Rom. And I realized......Rom was protecting humanity. And I killed it.

I mean, I realized I didn't even have a good reason for it. I was just making my way, and that old fart posted at the balcony, so I went and then....there was Rom. It was just chilling. It was the only boss that was nonhostile toward me. And I just started attacking it, for no reason.

I have become a monster....

But I wasn't alone. That FUCK in the rocking chair set me up. He pointed me in the direction. First thing I did as soon as I found a lamp was find him and stick my sword up his ass. That fucking scum, all he could do is mumble and keep pointing at the place for me to go up against Rom again. Fuck you old man. You brought Cthulhu into the world, enjoy the after life.

Still, I feel guilty. Now the deaths from this blood moon shit are on my hands, because I'm racist against eldritch abominations and I had to run into the one otherworldy horror that wasn't an asshole

Then I went and completed the Eileen storyline. I'm sad that she died, she was a cool old bird. Now I swear her awesome feathery cape in her honor...which, with my Cainhurst set preference, means I'm wearing the same armor as the fucker that killed her. Just as well. The crow has been reborn, wearing the face of her enemy.

I finally decided to bite the bullet and do some Chalice dungeons, where I encountered the second coolest enemy design for the game so far. The fire hound. I actually thought that I was going to accidentally cheese him, since I had a co-op partner with me since I wanted to get the easy part over with fast. But he luckily killed me, giving me a chance to take him on solo, which was a much funner fight even if it was still easy.

You guys weren't kidding about the better gemstones too. My sword went up a few levels thanks to that.

Now, questions:

Gemstones: Okay, do gem stone effects still happen if you don't have your weapon out? For example, I have the Doll's gem that is suppose to regain my health and I put it in one of my pistols. But if I'm not using that pistol, is it still going to regenerate my health?

Defense: Can someone explain to me the 'Def'. "thrusting", "blunt" stats? do they all over lap with each other, or are they all independent. Also, when I equip my different armors, my stat for physical def doesn't change, even though my def stats for everything else does. Whats going on with that?

Raptor

But I wasn't alone. That FUCK in the rocking chair set me up. He pointed me in the direction. First thing I did as soon as I found a lamp was find him and stick my sword up his ass. That fucking scum, all he could do is mumble and keep pointing at the place for me to go up against Rom again. Fuck you old man. You brought Cthulhu into the world, enjoy the after life.

LMAO!!

I killed that bastard even before going after Rom lol.

Sushi Nao

And not just regular any old sharks, it's got the fucking street sharks.
tumblr_mnmzr6c9om1sp447go1_r1_500.jpg

Was this a comic?? I had a comic when I was a kid with humanoid sharks and it was badass

I looked up Street Sharks and they are not that badass lol

You mean the fucker in the rocking chair? From what I found out, he tried to sacrifice his people to ascend into godhood. Dude was a wannabe Griffith.
Nope fire dog is Guts. He's his inner demon.
Was this a comic?? I had a comic when I was a kid with humanoid sharks and it was badass

I looked up Street Sharks and they are not that badass lol
I believe it's just CG fan art, I just find it appropriate when discussing those things in the hamlet.

Before you fight Rom make sure you have done all possible quests at that point. Mainly the ones where you need to send people to Chapel or to Iosefka. I would comeback to Cainhurst later but you can go try it if you want and remember that the guys you find in the beginning of that area are super hard compared to the ones inside the castle. Do you have Tonsil Stone?

As for Chalices I would leave them for end game because you will progress very fast to the point where it gets really hard.

edit.

You should be able to do Eileens quest still since beating Rom is what locks you out of it if you haven't done the Henryk thing.

I do have the tonsil stone. What am I supposed to do with it? I also sent an old lady to the chapel and the suspicious beggar to the clinic.

gogosox82

I made some side mission progress.

Okay, you guys have no idea how much I freaked out over the things on the wall there. I might have mentioned here before that I don't like horror games. So, when I posted that "Nope" gif last night, I wasn't kidding. I was willing to play more, but as soon as I looked up and realized what that invisible hand that was always grabbing me up until now was, I freaked. the fuck. out.

But as I went to sleep, I kept thinking. How did this happen? Well, that was because I killed Rom. And I realized......Rom was protecting humanity. And I killed it.

I mean, I realized I didn't even have a good reason for it. I was just making my way, and that old fart posted at the balcony, so I went and then....there was Rom. It was just chilling. It was the only boss that was nonhostile toward me. And I just started attacking it, for no reason.

I have become a monster....

Still, I feel guilty. Now the deaths from this blood moon shit are on my hands, because I'm racist against eldritch abominations and I had to run into the one otherworldy horror that wasn't an asshole

Then I went and completed the Eileen storyline. I'm sad that she died, she was a cool old bird. Now I swear her awesome feathery cape in her honor...which, with my Cainhurst set preference, means I'm wearing the same armor as the fucker that killed her. Just as well. The crow has been reborn, wearing the face of her enemy.

I finally decided to bite the bullet and do some Chalice dungeons, where I encountered the second coolest enemy design for the game so far. The fire hound. I actually thought that I was going to accidentally cheese him, since I had a co-op partner with me since I wanted to get the easy part over with fast. But he luckily killed me, giving me a chance to take him on solo, which was a much funner fight even if it was still easy.

You guys weren't kidding about the better gemstones too. My sword went up a few levels thanks to that.

Now, questions:

Gemstones: Okay, do gem stone effects still happen if you don't have your weapon out? For example, I have the Doll's gem that is suppose to regain my health and I put it in one of my pistols. But if I'm not using that pistol, is it still going to regenerate my health?

Defense: Can someone explain to me the 'Def'. "thrusting", "blunt" stats? do they all over lap with each other, or are they all independent. Also, when I equip my different armors, my stat for physical def doesn't change, even though my def stats for everything else does. Whats going on with that?

LMAO. This was a good read. Thanks for that.

Now as your questions. The effect will still happen as long as you have that item equipped. So if you put a pulsing gem (hp regen up to +5) on your gun, as long as you have the gun equipped, you will regen health. I know people who will use the pulsing gems on their gun so they can use the Chikage's tricked mode for longer.

Defense is hard to explain because depending on what you get hit by is going to determine how much damage gets reduced. Some attacks can have different modifiers that calculate differently. Think of it like this, the physical defense stat is defense against all physical attacks and blunt and thrust attacks have special modifiers that are calculated differently which is why they are separated from the physical defense stat.

Veelk

Banned
So. Evil mutant box monsters.

We've stepped out of the realm of horrifically, insanity terror inducing into something...well, kinda silly

Now as your questions. The effect will still happen as long as you have that item equipped. So if you put a pulsing gem (hp regen up to +5) on your gun, as long as you have the gun equipped, you will regen health. I know people who will use the pulsing gems on their gun so they can use the Chikage's tricked mode for longer.

When you say "equipped" do you mean "in your hunter's hand" or "in the slot"?

Veelk

Banned
Cramped Caskets are seriously only something you fear your first go around. They're not even that hard to me anymore.

Oh, don't worry, I don't fear them.

Is there an easy way to get to the monster at the unseen village? Some shortcut I didn't see, because if it's gonna be as obnoxious to get into round 2 with him as it seems, I'm gonna call it a night here for now.

Edit: Ah, the bowl thing. Why did they make it so obtuse? Is it so difficult to be straight forward, Bloodborne?

Oh, don't worry, I don't fear them.

Is there an easy way to get to the monster at the unseen village? Some shortcut I didn't see, because if it's gonna be as obnoxious to get into round 2 with him as it seems, I'm gonna call it a night here for now.

Edit: Ah, the bowl thing. Why did they make it so obtuse? Is it so difficult to be straight forward, Bloodborne?

Souls Bowl confirmed

Veelk

Banned
Okay, my Skill is at 50.

I've been getting mixed advice, so I want to ask one more time

My vitality and endurance are both at 25. Honestly, it feels like I have enough. It allows me for 7-8 swings, which is more than I need for any fight. Either I'll kill whatever I'm fighting, or they're going to power through my blows and counter attack, which means it's time to dodge, which means I'll be getting stamina back, so it's basically all I need. Health wise, I also feel there that I have as much as I need, because I survive just about everything, but not so much that I get complacent and feel I don't need to dodge, which is a good place to be to keep the game fun I feel.

And now I've officially hit 50 with Skill.

So, do I keep upgrading Skill and Vitality and Endurance, making my character the most skillful mofo in Yharnam?

Or is it time to branch out and start pouring points into either Strength or Bloodtinge or maybe even Arcane? I've already made it clear how I would like it very much to maximize my arsenal variety, but if it's really not worth doing because the price gets too high, I'd like to know.

Invest in Vit, the more vit you have (cap at 50), the faster the stamina regen you will get, so more dodging and backsteps.

Aside from Vit put some points on endurance (40 cap) then focus on a off stat like Str to get more damage on your normal attacks in your Skill weapons. BT and Arcane weapons requires 45 points on said stat at least to shine so think carefully which weapon you want to use in mind if you want to go that route.

You can keep putting more points on those stats after the cap but the benefics dont change so much after the cap, some people keep investing in vit for the resistances bonus so the choice is yours

Just gotta say, I'm absolutely LOVING this game (I've never even played a Souls game before.) I was initially hesitant to even buy Bloodborne because I was afraid of getting frustrated because of the difficulty, but so far I've found the difficulty to be way overblown. It's harder than other games, but I've never felt like it was hard for the sake of being hard.

Also, it gives me major Resident Evil 4 vibes for some reason.

Now watch as I get stuck and can't progress past a boss, haha.

Just gotta say, I'm absolutely LOVING this game (I've never even played a Souls game before.) I was initially hesitant to even buy Bloodborne because I was afraid of getting frustrated because of the difficulty, but so far I've found the difficulty to be way overblown. It's harder than other games, but I've never felt like it was hard for the sake of being hard.

Also, it gives me major Resident Evil 4 vibes for some reason.

Now watch as I get stuck and can't progress past a boss, haha.

It will get twisted later, pretty twisted

Dahbomb

Okay, my Skill is at 50.

My vitality and endurance are both at 25. Honestly, it feels like I have enough. It allows me for 7-8 swings, which is more than I need for any fight. Either I'll kill whatever I'm fighting, or they're going to power through my blows and counter attack, which means it's time to dodge, which means I'll be getting stamina back, so it's basically all I need. Health wise, I also feel there that I have as much as I need, because I survive just about everything, but not so much that I get complacent and feel I don't need to dodge, which is a good place to be to keep the game fun I feel.

So, do I keep upgrading Skill and Vitality and Endurance, making my character the most skillful mofo in Yharnam?

Or is it time to branch out and start pouring points into either Strength or Bloodtinge or maybe even Arcane? I've already made it clear how I would like it very much to maximize my arsenal variety, but if it's really not worth doing because the price gets too high, I'd like to know.
My personal Skill build has me maxing Endurance afterwards to get my Stamina up. Rakuyo and Blade of Mercy use of stamina super fast. Endurance only goes up to 40 anyway.

Vitality is the last skill I get to soft cap. I have just enough vitality to not get one shotted although the stuff that does actually one shot does so even if you have higher vitality.

Your Skill is at the soft cap on 50, not much point in putting more stats into it, huge diminishing returns now.

I also get Arcane to 15 to be able to use a couple of the magical items for utility purposes. Generally use the Arcane buff and the Old Hunter's Bone, that's enough magic abilities for me to be honest.

Nerokis

Invest in Vit, the more vit you have (cap at 50), the faster the stamina regen you will get, so more dodging and backsteps.

Aside from Vit put some points on endurance (40 cap) then focus on a off stat like Str to get more damage on your normal attacks in your Skill weapons. BT and Arcane weapons requires 45 points on said stat at least to shine so think carefully which weapon you want to use in mind if you want to go that route.

You can keep putting more points on those stats after the cap but the benefics dont change so much after the cap, some people keep investing in vit for the resistances bonus so the choice is yours

Interesting, I wasn't aware vitality increased stamina regen. It's a stat I consistently ignore until the very end of every Souls game, but I would have paid more attention to it in Bloodborne if I had known that. I have it at 30, at least.

And what's this about "getting more damage on your normal attacks in your skill weapons"? There are attacks that exclusively scale with either strength or skill?

gogosox82

So. Evil mutant box monsters.

We've stepped out of the realm of horrifically, insanity terror inducing into something...well, kinda silly

When you say "equipped" do you mean "in your hunter's hand" or "in the slot"?

The gem has to be slotted into your gun and the gun has to be equipped in the item slot. You don't actually have to be using the gun to get the benefit of the gem.

with 50 skill its op as fuck in pvp...

Yep Rayuko hits really hard with 50 skill and decent gems. You can do some crazy combos with it.

Okay, my Skill is at 50.

I would put points into end to get it to 40. I feel like you can never have enough stamina in souls games. You could put points into vit but that's usually the last thing I pump. Usually just get enough to not get one shot. You'll get nothing for putting more points into skill so its not worth putting points into it.

Edit: ^ Some skill weapons have low scaling in str/bt/arc so you can put points into str/bt/arc and get some extra damage.

Interesting, I wasn't aware vitality increased stamina regen. It's a stat I consistently ignore until the very end of every Souls game, but I would have paid more attention to it in Bloodborne if I had known that. I have it at 30, at least.

And what's this about "getting more damage on your normal attacks in your skill weapons"? There are attacks that exclusively scale with either strength or skill?

The extra Stamina regen a passive effect not like the game direct tells you about that stuff anyway. Skill increases Visceral attacks damage, Str and Physical damage gems can increase the Vis damage too but in a less scale than Skil also Str affects R2 and L2 and the primary weapon base damage attack in some extend, not as much as skill based weapons like your case.

There are some weapons later on that use a mix of stats like the Burial Blade, a skill weapon which have L2 and R2 heavy attacks that can sinergy with Str stat, the Moonlight Sword untransformed is Str based damage but in its trick form is Arcane or the Chikage which is a Skll in untransformed mode and BT in trick mode or the Ludwig Holy Blade whichs scale with both Str and Skill stats

Nerokis

Edit: ^ Some skill weapons have low scaling in str/bt/arc so you can put points into str/bt/arc and get some extra damage.

Ahh...yes, that makes sense. I'm tired, and my reading comprehension isn't where it should be. I guess by "normal attacks", they were referring to physical ones, as opposed to attacks that do arcane damage and such?

Also, the Orphan of
Kos
is tough. I think I started it a little late, because I'm losing the mental game. If I focus on dodging, it's easy enough to avoid most of his attacks, but it feels like it takes forever to do decent damage. If I walk into the fight determined to focus on viscerals, either I end up trivializing the first phase, or I lose my ability to do anything properly and get wrecked. And either way, once I'm in phase 2, I'm back into that "dodge and chip away" dynamic, and only last long enough to get him somewhere between 10-20% of his health. I need to learn how to effectively dodge that lightning thing he does.

The extra Stamina regen a passive effect not like the game direct tells you about that stuff anyway. Skill increases Visceral attacks damage, Str and Physical damage gems can increase the Vis damage too but in a less scale than Skil also Str affects R2 and L2 and the primary weapon base damage attack in some extend, not as much as skill based weapons like your case.

There are some weapons later on that use a mix of stats like the Burial Blade, a skill weapon which have L2 and R2 heavy attacks that can sinergy with Str stat, the Moonlight Sword untransformed is Str based damage but in its trick form is Arcane or the Chikage which is a Skll in untransformed mode and BT in trick mode or the Ludwig Holy Blade whichs scale with both Str and Skill stats

Oh man, now I'm confused again. Strength affects R2? You mean there are certain strong attacks in skill based weapons that are affected by strength more than other attacks? How does that work? This is confusing to me because skill and strength feed into the same overall stat, physical damage, depending on the weapon's scaling. Is there a hidden stat sheet per weapon that's more complicated than the stat sheet you actually see, or something?

Or should I just go to sleep, and stop trying to make my brain work right now?

Like gogo said, some skill weapons have a small scaling in Str, raising Str will give you a small bonus damage on your attack, Str slightly affects your heavy weapons attacks (but no so much if the Str scaling is below C) where Skill focuses more into R1 which is the basic poke attack

Go to sleep is a good option.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Also, the Orphan of
Kos
is tough. I think I started it a little late, because I'm losing the mental game. If I focus on dodging, it's easy enough to avoid most of his attacks, but it feels like it takes forever to do decent damage. If I walk into the fight determined to focus on viscerals, either I end up trivializing the first phase, or I lose my ability to do anything properly and get wrecked. And either way, once I'm in phase 2, I'm back into that "dodge and chip away" dynamic, and only last long enough to get him somewhere between 10-20% of his health.

Yeah, I'm having that exact same problem with Phase 2. Can't get a handle on it.

Nerokis

Like gogo said, some skill weapons have a small scaling in Str, raising Str will give you a small bonus damage on your attack, Str slightly affects your heavy weapons attacks (but no so much if the Str scaling is below C) where Skill focuses more into R1 which is the basic poke attack

Go to sleep is a good option.

If you hadn't said the bolded, we'd now be on the same page. I would say "okay, I think it's the part where you emphasized R2 that threw me off, as for some reason I got stuck on this idea that strength affects heavy attacks more," and then everything would be alright. But now that I've read the bolded, I'm getting the impression that even in the case of a weapon like the Threaded Cane, which has exclusively physical damage, raising skill benefits your R1 attack more than your R2 attack. The idea that strength has a bonus in heavy attacks and skill has a bonus in quick attacks makes sense, but...still, in my current mental state, this would really feel like a huge revelation.

Yeah, I'm having that exact same problem with Phase 2. Can't get a handle on it.

I'm definitely in a weird place with this boss. Other aggressive bosses beg for you to be aggressive in return, but with this one it often feels like you're punished if you get more than one attack in, and it's totally all over the place in phase 2. It's an adjustment, for sure.

Dmax3901

Finally beat that fucking defiled Amygdala and got out of that horrible dungeon.

My health bar is enormous. Lower Loran Abhorrent Beast seems to be my next brick wall, looking forward to slaughtering it soon.

grmlin

So, fighting beasts with my arcane char, saw cleaver and fire gem is like easy mode.
But what's the best way to deal with the other enemies? Any tips or just use fire regardless ?

Anyway. Killed Amelia in my first try. I wanted to use my flame sprayer in the first place, but she was loosing health so fast that I was done with her before I remembered to try it lol.

My first encounter with her on my skill char was like another game.

Soulhouf

The One Reborn down level 4.

Cb2jxVGW4AAquj9.jpg:orig

That fight was a lot harder than Rom at level 4 mainly because I never learned his pattern and I always killed him first try only using my reflexes.
Such a cool fight but too easy at a standard level which means you never get to experience it as intended unless you do a low level run.

Great Soulhouf. :) TOR definately gave me trouble, I think I ended up winning just from good RNG.

Did you kill Logarius too? I saw your Cainhurst screenshot before and wondered.

Soulhouf

On the (long) way to Logarius you'll find some enemies, that drop blood rocks at times. I farmed a lot this way before I finally beat him lol :D

I didn't feel like farming with this character. I know there are enough materials I can pick up without farming to upgrade my Saw Cleaver and Threaded Cane to +9.
My issue with Logarius is that at level 4, visceral attacks don't add much damage compared to normal attacks.

PS: gargoyles drop chunks, not rocks.

grmlin

I didn't feel like farming with this character. I know there are enough materials I can pick up without farming to upgrade my Saw Cleaver and Threaded Cane to +9.
My issue with Logarius is that at level 4, visceral attacks don't add much damage compared to normal attacks.

PS: gargoyles drop chunks, not rocks.

I meant chunks, of course.

I play the german version so it's easy to mix up things ;)

So you play through it without leveling up?

Daante

Also, the Orphan of
Kos
is tough. I think I started it a little late, because I'm losing the mental game. If I focus on dodging, it's easy enough to avoid most of his attacks, but it feels like it takes forever to do decent damage. If I walk into the fight determined to focus on viscerals, either I end up trivializing the first phase, or I lose my ability to do anything properly and get wrecked. And either way, once I'm in phase 2, I'm back into that "dodge and chip away" dynamic, and only last long enough to get him somewhere between 10-20% of his health. I need to learn how to effectively dodge that lightning thing he does.

"It took me about 50 tries total.

- Fight him out in the open water.

- Learn to lure out his jump-towards-you-attack in phase 1 so you can get easy backstabs.

- Dont get greedy trying and thinking you can get many hits in a row in phase 1. If you want to be aggressive you will have to learn to dodge very frequently, and I found it to generally not pay off compared to being patient.

- Most of his attacks in phase 1 should be parryable, but i found it hard to pull off consistently.

- Phase 2 i tried to stick to his left side (my own right side) and be really close to him most of the times, hitting fast attacks when i saw the opening."

I will add this to my original post above:

The ONLY thing i did damage to him in phase 1 is safe backstabs when he does his jump-towards-you-jump-attack. Position yourself far away from him in a straight line out in the water, and wait until he starts move/walk towards you. He will then do either one of two attacks, the first being the jump attack, the other being a swing thats easily avoidable. You just keep repeating this process, keeping yourself away from him in a straigt line and wait until he does the attack you want. Once you have him down to about half the health be ready to dogdge behind him for 2 free charged r2 attacks when he transform himself to phase 2.

Regarding phase 2 its much easier to doge the lightning attack out in the water, since it seems to start from the rock formation up on the ground, meaning you can see it on distance and have much more time to plan where you should go. Once i had him down to about 20% health left i buffed my saw cleawer with bolt and tried to be way to greedy with hitting him, and it actually worked pretty good (seems he gets sorta stunned after a few hits)

I will also add that i used runes that gives hp back and buff the attacks dps on visceral attacks. Meaning one succesful backstab/visceral attack and my health was back up to full = plenty of blood vials left for phase 2.

Top Bottom