• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

ezekial45

Banned
Apparently I beat the game. lol

So...I beat German right after wet nurse. Now what? How do I get the other endings?

You can restart the game on New Game +.

Ending 1
Accept Gerhman's offer.
Ending 2
Defeat Gehrman without consuming 3 umbilical cords
-- You got this one.
Ending 3
Consume 3 Umbilical cords, fight Gehrman, and then defeat the true final boss.

Does anyone know where to summon
Yamamura
before
Living Failures
in the DLC?

Google says
You have to kill him and the sign is next to the fog gate but it isn't

So I've been reading some topics about Bloodborne bosses on other sites, and it seems a lot of people has had trouble with bosses that others one shot, and vice versa. So just out of curiosity, what boss was the hardest and easiest for you guys? (no dlc bosses please, haven't started it yet and don't want anything spoiled)
Easiest for me was probably Rom, or at least he was one of the easiest. And the ones I had the most trouble with were probably Vicar Amelia and Shadows of Yharnam. Ironically the first bosses in the game were the hardest and then they all just went kinda soft.

*Edit*
Actually, I just remembered Celestial Emissary, that was one easy weak-ass boss. I'll go with that one for the easiest.

Harder

Ebrietas
Vicar
BSB
Iron Ball Giant
Darkbeast Loran

Easiest
Micolash
Celestial Emissaries
Amydgala

Exentryk

Starting this game after hearing so many good comments about it. I don't think it's my type of game, but going to give it a good crack regardless.

Am at the Origin selection screen, and want to know what is the most strongest origin to go with for the best end game build? By best, I mean the most strongest / highest DPS / able to nuke everything in the shortest time / optimum, etc.

Starting this game after hearing so many good comments about it. I don't think it's my type of game, but going to give it a good crack regardless.

Am at the Origin selection screen, and want to know what is the most strongest origin to go with for the best end game build? By best, I mean the most strongest / highest DPS / able to nuke everything in the shortest time / optimum, etc.

So far for standard melee builds choose the one with high Vit and Str, still it doesnt matter so much which one do you choose in late game because you may change your build or try a build in a fresh character later

Exentryk

So far for standard melee builds choose the one with high Vit and Str, still it doesnt matter so much which one do you choose in late game because you may change your build or try a build in a fresh character later

Can you reset your stats anytime in the game, or do you have to start a new game for that?

Edit: Thanks Sayad.

Sayad

Can you reset your stats anytime in the game, or do you have to start a new game for that?
There's no stat reset. Just level up the other stats if you want to try different builds or start over if you want to stay within a certain level for pvp.

For leveling up, the way stats cap works, if you're level 120~140, you'd have no problem fighting someone who's level 250 on equal footing, he will just have access to more builds.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Thinking of replaying the game since I finished it at release when half the bosses were bugged, and buying the old hunters dlc which is on sale atm. The alternative is playing ng+ which I left the game at, but I hear the dlc is hard enough as it is, plus I never killed the bosses properly so now they would be extra harder... also, not sure if I would finish it before DS3 tho, or if I should even play another Souls game before a new one, might burn out.

Decisions decisions...

Banzai

Started a new playthrough Friday and just Beat mergo. I am also playing the dlc for the first time and the first boss is a huge dick. I can somewhat reliably get him down to 50% now but damn. And i thought i was overleveled for the dlc at lv79. I'll finish him tomorrow.

Just defeated the bloodstarved beast :D

Its my first playthrough. Im lvl 51 so far and just got Ludwig's Holy Blade and upgraded it to +6 immediatly.

My Stats:
Vitality: 27
Endurance: 18
Strength: 22
Skill: 21
Bloodtinge: 8
Arcane: 6

Nerokis

People tend to fall in love with certain weapons, and build around them. If you're generally drawn toward heavy, high impact weapons, emphasize strength; smaller, faster ones, emphasize skill. Some people go for what's called a "Quality" build, and put more or less an equal amount of points into both.

The one thing I'll say about optimization is that for your first character you probably want to neglect Bloodtinge and Arcane. It takes much longer to see benefit from investing in them, and they really, really reward a carefully thought through character progression path.

Have you already picked up a weapon? Which one did you go with?

Exentryk

Have you already picked up a weapon? Which one did you go with?

Took the military veteran Origin and the Saw Cleaver and Pistol. Seems to be working well so far. Got to the sewers, and then took a lift back to Central Yharnam, and called it a night. Still have to start gaining levels, and fight the first boss.

No map is an odd choice. I take maps for granted in RPGs.

ColdPizza

Banned
Took the military veteran Origin and the Saw Cleaver and Pistol. Seems to be working well so far. Got to the sewers, and then took a lift back to Central Yharnam, and called it a night. Still have to start gaining levels, and fight the first boss.

No map is an odd choice. I take maps for granted in RPGs.

You'll memorize them easily enough, especially when you die a lot.

Simultaneously making my way through the DLC, chalice dungeons, and the main game. Just beat Lady Maria! I've heard that there is a special weapon when you beat all chalice dungeons, but do you have to beat them all in a single playthrough? I don't want to beat the game then have to start over.

grmlin

Simultaneously making my way through the DLC, chalice dungeons, and the main game. Just beat Lady Maria! I've heard that there is a special weapon when you beat all chalice dungeons, but do you have to beat them all in a single playthrough? I don't want to beat the game then have to start over.

I do the dungeons now, after beating the game, in NG+. They are unbelievable boring atm and I hate the fact, that I can't skip the low level ones. They don't scale with NG+(s) as I learned some days ago in this thread.

The only special weapon in chalice dungeons is one you can get well before you finish them all. I'll mark if you wanted it to be a surprise, but it's the
beast claw.

The item you get for following the platinum path is just a (useless) lore item.

I think Bloodborne is the first From Software game that I enjoy going toe to toe with only a single weapon and no items against bosses. That may rapidly change the further I progress but so far it is great.

The cursed pthumerian dungeon sure is easier the second time, when you know what to expect. Dozens of deaths versus the Watchdog to one death this time. Just as I'm having fun with chalice dungeons, I now need to wait in NG+ until I can get red jelly. If they took out all the BS mats you need, I'd actually enjoy the dungeon crawling and boss fights. Oh, and have treasure chests have actual treasure (gems, shards, cold blood), rather than mold and inflicted organs.

Teknoman

RoooooooommmmmmM!!!

de8b105ee07d9aa6b0768a34883a22b3.jpg

Damn flip flopping alien spider thing...

Exentryk

Beat the first boss, and the first time through too. Guess I was overlevelled, as its attacks werent doing much damage to me.

Anyway, I've unlocked some new weapons looks like. Is it worthwhile to buy all new weapons and have them available, or better to just boost the attributes and stick with the initial weapon (saw cleaver in my case)? I am guessing I'll eventually find new better weapons as I progress anyway?

P.S. - Here is the first boss fight if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFogJ8tA9OA

Wimps

After finally defeating Watchdog in Defiled Chalice (amazing fight btw) I've now struck a wall at the next one; Amygdala. What a bitch. That last phase she just annihilates me. Every. Time. She goes into zerk mode and the range on her attacks is insane. I try to dodge the first attack with her chopped off arms then rush to go behind her to cheese her legs but no luck so far. One hit from her and it's pretty much game over. What to do GAF?

Banzai

Aww yeah, beat Ludwig on Lv79. Mad respect to anyone who does this shit on Lv4. Gave myself five tries to beat him today, did it on the fifth. So, so good.

After finally defeating Watchdog in Defiled Chalice (amazing fight btw) I've now struck a wall at the next one; Amygdala. What a bitch. That last phase she just annihilates me. Every. Time. She goes into zerk mode and the range on her attacks is insane. I try to dodge the first attack with her chopped off arms then rush to go behind her to cheese her legs but no luck so far. One hit from her and it's pretty much game over. What to do GAF?

If you have a weapon with range, you can run behind her to bait the leap attack. You can stay still (she won't hit you when landing), charge up a R2, and smash her face. You can then roll between her legs to bait another leap.
If your weapon has an overhead swing, you can also just stay at her side (safer than in front, with that range from her arms) and hit one of her hands. The only thing to avoid there is getting too close to her feet, and having her stomp you.
Being in front was tricky for me, because the safe distance seemed to put me too far away to run in and hit her head.

Masamuna

I can never connect online for some reason. Nothing seems wrong on my end however ever since I started this NG it always boots me back to the title screen if I choose online.

That said my second attempt is going great. Beaten Amelia and primed to finish of Hemeick next time I play. I haven't set foot into old yharnam yet but I seem to have every other route available so I may just try to go in the back way this play through. Is there any huge reward for that or is it only for lore? (Being able to speak with djura I mean).

I think I'm 38 now, with STR and SKL at 25. For the next while I'll pump points into VIT to get some meat on my bones.

When do the snatchers come out again? After Amelia or BSB?

Vic_Viper

Is there a good walk through people here recommend for the NPC interactions. Like when to talk to someone and what to do with them at certain points so I don't miss anything.

Also when does the DLC begin? I'm starting a new play through and wasn't sure when to start it. Should I save it for the end basically?

jonjonaug

Amygdala isn't too hard. In all but the last phase, just bait its attacks while keeping a fair distance and hit its head when it comes down. In the last phase, get under it and hit its dangling arms on the side. It can't use its sweep attacks underneath itself as effectively since it ripped off the arms it uses to do those attacks. Don't attack the legs, it takes very reduced damage from that.

Is there a good walk through people here recommend for the NPC interactions. Like when to talk to someone and what to do with them at certain points so I don't miss anything.

Also when does the DLC begin? I'm starting a new play through and wasn't sure when to start it. Should I save it for the end basically?
Do you mean something like this? Just click on the NPC and it should show the locations and quests.

Also regarding the DLC, you can access the DLC as soon as you kill Vicar Amelia. Return to the Hunter's Dream, get the Eye of a Blood Drunk Hunter item, go to Cathedral Ward and take the left doorway. Let amygdala grab you to teleport you to the DLC area. However even tho you can access the DLC after killing Vicar, its not recommended to do the DLC till you are atleast ~level 60.

Onemic

My ludwig sword is +9 and has an A rating in arcane, but boosting arcane doesnt seem to increase its damage. Does it only affect the sword when using items like empty phantasm shell?

My ludwig sword is +9 and has an A rating in arcane, but boosting arcane doesnt seem to increase its damage. Does it only affect the sword when using items like empty phantasm shell?

You need to use arcane gems in it to change the damage type. Hybrid weapons (shows physical and arcane/fire/bolt) can benefit from the arcane stat and physical stat at the same time.

The shell gives a flat damage boost.

Beat
Vicar Amelia
and had to stop playing right after that but there were 2 paths, one on each side of the gate and I can't wait to go back and explore further.
I was going to check them out before entering since it had boss fight written all over it but decided to give it a shot and with the help of Henrietta I managed it on my first try.
I got the impression that I was going to enter a forest, should be a nice change of scenery.
Before that I died to a dude with a bag on his back and woke up in a completely different place, made it to the boss but it kicked my ass so I decided to save it for later lol.

Vitanimus

Forbidden Woods is such a clusterfuck. I know I missed so much treasure, but I was so disorientated I just rushed to the nearest lamp I could find.

grmlin

Forbidden Woods is such a clusterfuck. I know I missed so much treasure, but I was so disorientated I just rushed to the nearest lamp I could find.

The woods like it slow. Some really good runes can be found in there, the worst thing for me are these
giant snake stacks

For the DLC. I went into it with the main story almost finished, there were only 3 bosses left.
wet nurse, Gherman, moon presence

It was ok. The bosses are really hard though but some great levels wait for you. Enjoyed it a lot.

Onemic

You need to use arcane gems in it to change the damage type. Hybrid weapons (shows physical and arcane/fire/bolt) can benefit from the arcane stat and physical stat at the same time.

The shell gives a flat damage boost.

Ah, thanks for the tip.

Also, is there any reason to play through NG+ besides leveling? Or are all the extra weapons/armor sets limited to the procedural dungeons?

Ah, thanks for the tip.

Also, is there any reason to play through NG+ besides leveling? Or are all the extra weapons/armor sets limited to the procedural dungeons?

I usually prefer making new characters in Souls games, rather than doing NG+, but you get some of the DLC weapons so late that it could be nice to have it available from the start, on a leveled character.

You can get everything in a single playthrough I believe, so it would just depend on if you like your character, and want to use them more. There is one weapon in a chalice dungeon, and you have to defeat a couple of chalice bosses to unlock their armor at the insight bath. I guess there are alternate versions of the same weapons you can find (they have different gem slots), so that's something.

I'm not complaining about NG+, but it would have been nice if more items scaled with it. You find the same low level gems and everything it seems.

Soulhouf

Beat the first boss, and the first time through too. Guess I was overlevelled, as its attacks werent doing much damage to me.

Anyway, I've unlocked some new weapons looks like. Is it worthwhile to buy all new weapons and have them available, or better to just boost the attributes and stick with the initial weapon (saw cleaver in my case)? I am guessing I'll eventually find new better weapons as I progress anyway?

P.S. - Here is the first boss fight if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFogJ8tA9OA

GG!
Stick with the weapon you have if you like the moveset.
There is no "best weapon" in this game. They are almost all very effective when upgraded, so at the end it comes to personal preference.
Saw Cleaver has bonus damage against beasts though, so definitely keep it especially if you like how it feels and if you're comfortable with it.

Onemic

How effective are slow/rapid poison gems? It seems as though rapid poison sucks really bad, since it's just an effect that adds a certain amount of dmg after an internal bar fills up on enemies and said bar fills up very slowly.

KLoWn

What level should I be on NG+ before I start the DLC? I've heard the difficulty on some bosses are really brutal.

I realized that I never actually did the very last chalice dungeon, so I finished that up. Holy crap, E
brietas
and that nasty charge attack. I did the first level in a depth 5 pthumerian root chalice dungeon with all the rites, and that's no joke. Pretty much get hit and then die. Probably where the difficulty is a little too silly, but it's optional I guess. So far the gem drops have been the same old crap.

Before playing the BB DLC, I would have still said I prefer Dark Souls 1 overall, but now I'd say it's at least equal. I like some things better in each game, but The Old Hunters really improved on things, most of all adding more (quality) length to the game.

Exentryk

GG!
Stick with the weapon you have if you like the moveset.
There is no "best weapon" in this game. They are almost all very effective when upgraded, so at the end it comes to personal preference.
Saw Cleaver has bonus damage against beasts though, so definitely keep it especially if you like how it feels and if you're comfortable with it.

I've only used the Saw Cleaver and Saw Spear (found weapon) so far. I like the spear's moveset when up against multiple enemies. So I'm thinking of using these two as my main weapons, and then Pistol and Blunderbuss as secondaries. I don't think I'm doing much with the moveset of weapons right now though, and it's mostly just R1 mash.

I'll continue on with these for now. Thanks for the response.

I've only used the Saw Cleaver and Saw Spear (found weapon) so far. I like the spear's moveset when up against multiple enemies. So I'm thinking of using these two as my main weapons, and then Pistol and Blunderbuss as secondaries. I don't think I'm doing much with the moveset of weapons right now though, and it's mostly just R1 mash.

I'll continue on with these for now. Thanks for the response.

Ludwig's Holy Blade is a beast. Definitely invest some time into that. It takes some getting used to after the Saw Cleaver (which I used for the first half of my playthrough), but it's my go-to weapon now.

Top Bottom