• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

KLoWn

Just beat the final boss, and holy shit, what a game!

This is my first souls game (other than playing the first one a bit) and I can really see why so many people like 'em.
The moment you break through the wall that was a particularly hard boss or area you feel like a total boss.

Design wise I fuckin loved all the lovecraft stuff, I mean, who doesn't love old gods and tentacles eh?
Most armor sets and weapons looked nice too, especially Eileen's crow get up.
The areas were well designed and gave of a really creepy cold vibe, especially when C'thulu's started to appear on building walls. Almost shat myself first time I looked up and saw one looking down on me from a waaay too close distance lol.

I probably missed a few, but the npc's I meet were pretty interesting, even though they didn't say that much.

Some things I didn't like, or absolutely hated in some cases, like the fact that you couldn't dodge in mid swing, but that might just be me since before this game I played the Bayonetta games where twitch reflexes is what keeps you alive. It took a while to get used to the slower combat pace (it was excellent once I got used to it though).
I don't think I need to mention the loading screens, jesus christ...
And the thing I hated the most was that you had to run all the way back to a boss when you died instead of starting outside the nightmare smoke. I mean, I know the game is supposed to be "hardcore" and all that, but it's soooo boooooring! You gain nothing from it, you only lose time you could've spent having fun fighting the boss.
You just run past all the enemies until you reach your destination, it takes no skill or anything. They might as well have made a 4 minute loading screen...
I know people are going to disagree, but I seriously can't understand it. It's a blemish on an otherwise fantastic game. And I'll stand by it
hmpf.gif

*EDIT*
Also! The final boss was kind of a joke (difficulty wise). Somewhat of a anticlimax to say the least...

I already wrote a post about Arianna getting murdered by someone in the Oedon chapel (the safe place) in here, so I here's the follow up.

I was considering killing the nun, because she was acting fishy, and I didn't want to send more people there if it wasn't safe, but since Arianna was dead she was my only source of special blood I had left, so I left her alive.
After a while I came back to the chapel and she was gone, went outside and she jumps out all fuckin kinds of crazy mumbling that she have to kill me for some reason, so I had no other choice than to kill her (I'm pretty sure).
Just the old cranky lady and the "Heh heh heh" crone left, it felt kinda empty..
Later I return again, and the old lady is not sitting on her chair, instead I find a note saying she'll be back, and she really came back later. I have no idea were she went.
Even later I return and find her missing again, same note on the chair. Went outside and find her mangled body. She's stone cold dead.
Everyone I told to come to the chapel is now dead... The "heh heh heh" lady is depressed as shit saying she only wanted to help people, thinking it's her fault, and i genuinely feel sorry for her.

That was one tragic fuckin end to that little side story... And I still don't know who the killer was! I guess they all just went insane or something..

This post ended up way longer than I thought it would, so TL;DR: Awesome game with some flaws here and there.

Fear the old Blood/10.

One more thing. Is the DLC worth buying? What does it add? Only new bosses?

I am happy to see you enjoyed the game as much as you are writing it. The DLC is an amazing experience and way harder than the main game, it add new weapons (more arcane weapons yay) , new sidequest, spells, gear and enemies

I was fighting one of the hunters after the first boss in the DLC, and the jackass used his/her LHB to block an attack. Get outta here with that shit, this isn't Dark Souls.

taybul

I was fighting one of the hunters after the first boss in the DLC, and the jackass used his/her LHB to block an attack. Get outta here with that shit, this isn't Dark Souls.

I think that's the backstep + R1 move. Not sure if it actually blocks though I wouldn't be totally surprised.

You're not underleveled, when you summon help the boss starts with more health.I managed to beat
Ludwig
at pretty much the same level (though I died a fuckton and had to summon help from an NPC).

What weapons do you have? What are your stats?
Just got home. I am:

LV 110
Vitality 36
Endurance 28
Strength 31
Skill 25
bloodtinge 18
Arcane 22

And I'm using a Ludwig Holy Blade +8. I managed to get it down to 1/2 which is a record for me. Is there any elemental weaknesses?

Got to the second phase. Is this fucking for real? I literally don't know what to do. I summon the NPC I usually get a random to help me and they are both dead by the time its at 66% health left.

Just beat the final boss, and holy shit, what a game!

It's totally worth buying, new bosses which are the best in the entire game. New areas that are really interesting as well. Some of the areas are slightly altered versions of existing areas in the base game and others are entirely new. I'd say it's about 2/3 of the areas are completely new.

You get new weapons for melee and range including a badass dual sword weapon. New ranged weapons as well for bloodtinge and arcane builds.

Just got home. I am:

LV 110
Vitality 36
Endurance 28
Strength 31
Skill 25
bloodtinge 18
Arcane 22

And I'm using a Ludwig Holy Blade +8. I managed to get it down to 1/2 which is a record for me. Is there any elemental weaknesses?

Got to the second phase. Is this fucking for real? I literally don't know what to do. I summon the NPC I usually get a random to help me and they are both dead by the time its at 66% health left.

I believe his first phase counts as a Beast (unsure about second), in which case Fire and Serated will work effectively.

The second phase is more readable than the first, though. The first phase is all over the place.

I think that's the backstep + R1 move. Not sure if it actually blocks though I wouldn't be totally surprised.

It was actually different. The sword is pointed downwards on the back step R1, but this was a sword pointing up with a clear block. I honestly didn't know you could save a clip from the previous 15 minutes of gameplay, but I did when messing in the share menu, so I was able to rewatch it and see if my mind was playing tricks on me. Just kinda curious that blocking animations with a weapon are in the game.

I looked up the short cut from the bridge with the werewolves near the clerical beast and started the game again.

I spent more time grinding to get enough blood echoes to change my outfit to the hunter and loads of blood vials.

There were some very close moments in central Yharmin as I get used to it all but I'm really enjoying it and getting used to it.

I'm going to grind like mad go get asbmany blood vials as I can before I set off and try and get to and kill the clerical beast.

One question however. When you die or return from the hunters dream the enemies return. Do the bosses respawn as well?

Persona7

Banned
I looked up the short cut from the bridge with the werewolves near the clerical beast and started the game again.

I spent more time grinding to get enough blood echoes to change my outfit to the hunter and loads of blood vials.

There were some very close moments in central Yharmin as I get used to it all but I'm really enjoying it and getting used to it.

I'm going to grind like mad go get asbmany blood vials as I can before I set off and try and get to and kill the clerical beast.

One question however. When you die or return from the hunters dream the enemies return. Do the bosses respawn as well?

No.

Finally "finished" my lvl 4 run.

This really made me appreciate the game even more since I had to learn all the bosses patterns. This game has so many great fights, it's crazy good.

My favourite bosses are
(I can't even remember how many tries it took me...),
(some really nice dodges in the video, the ending was also very cool) and
Orphan of Kos
(forgot to save this one).

In the chalices I'm still missing
Headless Bloodletting Beast
Yharnam Pthumerian Queen
and all Lower Loran but I will leave that for some other time.

Now to wait for Dark Souls III for 2 weeks :D

grmlin

I really want to get the platinum, which would be the first one I ever got I think. But everything I heard about the later Dungeons make me nervous :D

KLoWn

It's worth it. Going by what you liked I think you'll like it.

The DLC is so worth it, amazing expansion! Great gear can be found in there, go for it!

I am happy to see you enjoyed the game as much as you are writing it. The DLC is an amazing experience and way harder than the main game, it add new weapons (more arcane weapons yay) , new sidequest, spells, gear and enemies

It's totally worth buying, new bosses which are the best in the entire game. New areas that are really interesting as well. Some of the areas are slightly altered versions of existing areas in the base game and others are entirely new. I'd say it's about 2/3 of the areas are completely new.

You get new weapons for melee and range including a badass dual sword weapon. New ranged weapons as well for bloodtinge and arcane builds.
I'm convinced. I'll be buying it later today. Thanks!

I really want to get the platinum, which would be the first one I ever got I think. But everything I heard about the later Dungeons make me nervous :D

You beat the DLC bosses, you will have no issues in the dungeons. Hell, if I can get a Platinum for Bloodborne, everyone can.

Bought this game day one and only just started playing. I should have picked the axe really not feeling the threaded cane.

Only played up to unlocking the quick path to cleric beast as I only had 10 mins free time to play, look forward to digging in properly this evening.

You can purchase the other weapons eventually, I did my first run with the axe and my 2nd the saw cleaver which I preferred as a starter weapon.

Vic_Viper

How is the online play atm? Thinking about starting a new char but want to be able to summon here and there without being invaded constantly.

Menthuss

Just got home. I am:

LV 110
Vitality 36
Endurance 28
Strength 31
Skill 25
bloodtinge 18
Arcane 22

Do you have any upgraded Serrated weapons? A decently upgraded Saw Cleaver with Fire Paper would do lots of damage to him.

Btw, his second phase is much easier (IMO anyway) as he starts telegraphing his attacks much more clearly. Both phases involve knowing his moveset but I found I memorized his phase two moveset much quicker.

More on my arcane guy. Now that I've beat everything with him,I think I'll just retire him. Old hunters added some neat tools, but it still feels like going 50 arcane gave me a weaker character for the whole experience (PvE).
The negatives would be the clumsy item selection (give me a radial menu), the weaker damage (unless an enemy had a weakness, then it was not as bad), the screwed up range of spells (targeted, but no damage registered), the constant making of blood bullets, and the rarity of good gems. 15-18 arcane seems the sweet spot for me.

Staf

Hmm, so conflicted whether i should get this game or not. It's on sale right now but i have never played a souls game before..

Hmm, so conflicted whether i should get this game or not. It's on sale right now but i have never played a souls game before..

I was the same, played a bit of dark souls but never clicked and I got this as it was so cheap in Easter sale.

It's easy to get in to but takes a while to master it seems, it's a fantastic game but requires patience and perseverance

Do you have any upgraded Serrated weapons? A decently upgraded Saw Cleaver with Fire Paper would do lots of damage to him.

Btw, his second phase is much easier (IMO anyway) as he starts telegraphing his attacks much more clearly. Both phases involve knowing his moveset but I found I memorized his phase two moveset much quicker.
I have a Saw Cleaver +10, I didn't even know it was a serrated weapon. I'll try that with fire paper and see what happens. I used the holy blade because I figured it was big and bulky so it would slow down the boss from taking big hits in the head.

Edit:
:/ What the fuck beat him on the first try. Just as difficult and I dealt like 20 more dmg. Really lucked out with this random person, I sent him a TY msg after he helped me beat him

This clerical beast is doing my head in. Should be simple but I can get him to half health and then I die. I understand the way to do it but can't seem to make progress. Any tips?

Also I've noticed around central Yharman that there is a lot of paths. One was off of the bridge leading to clerical beast and led down a church to a basement. Are these places just to farm blood echoes or are they best left until later on

This clerical beast is doing my head in. Should be simple but I can get him to half health and then I die. I understand the way to do it but can't seem to make progress. Any tips?

Also I've noticed around central Yharman that there is a lot of paths. One was off of the bridge leading to clerical beast and led down a church to a basement. Are these places just to farm blood echoes or are they best left until later on
I assume this is your first time playing Bloodbourne? I would recommend farming blood echoes a bit and add more points into vitality. Each level gives you more defense. So more defense and health will help since you understand what to do for Cleric. Make sure you also have the best physical armor equipped for this fight since there is no magic in the fight.

They all lead to parts of the game later on. One leads to the next boss which is in Central Yharman and there is another path that is a shortcut from the second lamp to Cleric Beast.

grmlin

Just like me. I bought it in January and beat it two days ago. I started 3 chars though, so this may not be the normal time to finish the game ;)

It's an amazing game and if you take your time to learn it, you may have a blast playing it. Like me.

I assume this is your first time playing Bloodbourne? I would recommend farming blood echoes a bit and add more points into vitality. Each level gives you more defense. So more defense and health will help since you understand what to do for Cleric. Make sure you also have the best physical armor equipped for this fight since there is no magic in the fight.

They all lead to parts of the game later on. One leads to the next boss which is in Central Yharman and there is another path that is a shortcut from the second lamp to Cleric Beast.

I have seen that I can level up if I go back to the hunters dream even if I die to the clerical beast so going to see if that works and if it does I'll grind for a bit happily!

Use the Shaman Bow Blade. They'll kill each other.

Thanks. I can/did kill them a few times, I just mean they are stupid, heh. The damn flop-swim thing they do towards you. The scripted crap where the one will ignore you after taking a certain amount of damage to lure you to the other. It just comes across as try hard to me, and they are usually so good at making things feel more or less fair. Just a little rant, not a big deal.

Veelk

Banned
You know, I thought I was done with the game, and I kinda was, and kinda still am. Because as soon as I started NG+, I was bored with doing the same things again. But I just popped it in again after about a week, and already it was another nice playsession.

I'm still done with it, because Dark Souls 3 is here in just a few more weeks, but this game has real staying power with me if I'd be willing to replay it again only two weeks or so after I finished it.

Still need to write up that review though....

grmlin

Thanks. I can/did kill them a few times, I just mean they are stupid, heh. The damn flop-swim thing they do towards you. The scripted crap where the one will ignore you after taking a certain amount of damage to lure you to the other. It just comes across as try hard to me, and they are usually so good at making things feel more or less fair. Just a little rant, not a big deal.

Yeah, these two guys are pretty bs. The attacks are delayed randomly, too, right? I tried to parry them multiple times, but it was more about luck than skill.
I tried the shaman blade once and the full hp remaining shark killed me lol.

Yeah, these two guys are pretty bs. The attacks are delayed randomly, too, right? I tried to parry them multiple times, but it was more about luck than skill.
I tried the shaman blade once and the full hp remaining shark killed me lol.

Parry is the way to go, but it is tricky. I would drag the first away from the entrance, parry him, then try to attack while he just walks off to get his friend. I couldn't do enough damage with the cane to stop him, so then it became a game of focusing on one, while the other just belly flops or chomps me from a mile away. I must have died 12 times with this character. I finally switched to a +8 saw spear, then beat them the very next try. It staggered the first while he was walking away, so 1-on-1 wasn't bad at all.

I wouldn't bother with grinding for levels just go for bullets, molotovs and charge moves. Using either the guns or molotovs aim at the head (flick up on the right stick when locked on) and get the cleric beast to stagger run in hit R1 in close proximity to the head (visceral attack). Keep at a medium distance and strafe to the left and doing charge moves when there is an opening. When the cleric beast glows red for a bit do the molotovs/guns again until staggered and do a visceral attack. Rinse and repeat. When near the end keep moving, lock onto the body and spam molotovs if you have none wait for an opening. The last third of the fight is the hardest as it goes a bit mental but once you get a hang of its movements the rest of the fight is easy.

Also make sure you opening up the short cut so you don't have to run all the way around if you fail. If you get a bit sick of the fight just go do to the sewers and try father Gascoigne instead. There are a lot of items in the sewers that would also make the fight easier.

KLoWn

So I've been reading some topics about Bloodborne bosses on other sites, and it seems a lot of people has had trouble with bosses that others one shot, and vice versa. So just out of curiosity, what boss was the hardest and easiest for you guys? (no dlc bosses please, haven't started it yet and don't want anything spoiled)
Easiest for me was probably Rom, or at least he was one of the easiest. And the ones I had the most trouble with were probably Vicar Amelia and Shadows of Yharnam. Ironically the first bosses in the game were the hardest and then they all just went kinda soft.

*Edit*
Actually, I just remembered Celestial Emissary, that was one easy weak-ass boss. I'll go with that one for the easiest.

Top Bottom