• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Certinty

Do I have to keep running back to bosses? Or is there a quicker way?

Early game boss but any simple tips on
Father G
?

Also how much harder does the game get? At this rate I doubt I'll finish it since I suck hard so maybe I'll give up after this boss if it gets way harder.

Exentryk

Ludwig's Holy Blade is a beast. Definitely invest some time into that. It takes some getting used to after the Saw Cleaver (which I used for the first half of my playthrough), but it's my go-to weapon now.

Yeah, I've been reading and LHB gets a lot of praise. Looking forward to getting it.

Do I have to keep running back to bosses? Or is there a quicker way?

Early game boss but any simple tips on
Father G
?

Also how much harder does the game get? At this rate I doubt I'll finish it since I suck hard so maybe I'll give up after this boss if it gets way harder.

I actually just beat this boss (first time through luckily). I don't think I did anything special. Just dodge behind, hit a few times and back out to heal regularly. Don't over commit. (See video below for how I got through the fight).
Regarding access, you can open up a bunch of shortcuts to different locations. Taking the elevator and then crossing the bridge takes you directly to this boss. Have you unlocked that elevator? More specifically, starting from Central Yharnam lamp, take the left gate, then the left path with those two big enemies, and then the elevator.

Aguila

#ICONIC
After finally defeating Watchdog in Defiled Chalice (amazing fight btw) I've now struck a wall at the next one; Amygdala. What a bitch. That last phase she just annihilates me. Every. Time. She goes into zerk mode and the range on her attacks is insane. I try to dodge the first attack with her chopped off arms then rush to go behind her to cheese her legs but no luck so far. One hit from her and it's pretty much game over. What to do GAF?
I spent all day trying to beat Amygdala because of that third phase, but I finally did it. What I did was wait for the attack where she slams her hands down and pauses, then I would run up and hit her HANDS. I think I was locked on to her back rather than her head which made it easier to quickly hit the hands and get out. It was to risky going for her head in that phase.

krioto

I can't beat Laurence - NG+, have got him down to a sliver of health 3 times, only to get thumped with that crawling rage bullshit he does.

losing will to live

Banzai

Just arrived at the final boss of the dlc, and he's a tough one. I hope I'll have enough time to figure him out but I have other things do because I'm moving...

thoughts on other DLC bosses so far:
Ludwig - This one annoyed me a lot at first, but I had a lot of fun figuring out the moveset of his first phase. The second phase is a bit boring imo (still managed to kill me a few times).
Living Failures - I beat this one first try, just laughably easy to parry and backstab. The comets surprised me a bit, though.
Maria - Very cool fight conceptually. I died a few times because I kept trying and failing to parry her. I eventually won by stunlocking her in a corner with one-handed Ludwig's, which was a bit anticlimactic.

Looking forward to challenging the optional boss of the dlc, sounds like he's a tough sob from what i read.

btw I'm not sure how much of this I should put in spoiler tags, if anything at all. The dlc's pretty old by now but let me know if i should tag some stuff.

Vic_Viper

So I'm trying to do all the side quests I can after starting a new character last night. Got to the cathedral wars and opened the gate at the top of the stairs after buying the item. Does anyone have a video that shows what I need to do next to progress Eileen the Crow's quest line?

Also how far is it till I get to Cainhurst Castle? It's been awhile so I'm kinda fuzzy on when you fight Rom. What should I have completed before fighting him? I already sent the old lady to the church and have the little girl her red ribbon.

myco666

So I'm trying to do all the side quests I can after starting a new character last night. Got to the cathedral wars and opened the gate at the top of the stairs after buying the item. Does anyone have a video that shows what I need to do next to progress Eileen the Crow's quest line?

Also how far is it till I get to Cainhurst Castle? It's been awhile so I'm kinda fuzzy on when you fight Rom. What should I have completed before fighting him? I already sent the old lady to the church and have the little girl her red ribbon.

You get to Cainhurst pretty much immediately after beating VA. Need to finish Hemwick also before that.

Before fighting Rom you should do all NPC questlines so send all NPCs (Old Lady, Arianna, Adella, the asshole in front of Arianna) to Chapel or Clinic, talk to Eileen and kill Henryk and talk to Alfred.

Is there any reason to pick 1h ludwig over 2h other than the ability to parry?

It is much faster also. Some bosses might be so fast that you can't easily get hits in with the 2H mode.

ApharmdX

Banned
What weapon for a full-on STR build? I originally intended to do Kirkhammer on this, my second playthrough of BB, but I saw someone use the Whirligig Saw in coop, so I rushed through Amelia and did the run for Saw last night. Saw seems like a great boss weapon but less great for working through levels (and smaller opponents). How does its ability to break poise compare to KH or Ludwig's 1H modes? My first clear of the game was with a Chikage/bloodtinge build and I want something that can take out packs/break poise better than Chikage.

Onemic

Are there any plans for more DLC in bloodborne or is Old Hunters all we got?

I really hope they up the replayability of Blodbornes NG+ in BB2. Right now I see no real reason to do NG+ other than for the extra challenge. Contrast this with the DS series where certain items/weapons/armor were only available within NG+ modes. I think the gameplay of BB is probably the best of any souls game I played, but the sense of exploration to get all kinds of different and interesting builds is absent. I know they used the Chalice dungeons to compensate for this, but I dont know why they couldnt do both.(i.e. chalice dungeons for runes/items and upgraded "old" weapons and NG+ modes for entirely new weapons/armor sets.) It feels like a half measure.

It is much faster also. Some bosses might be so fast that you can't easily get hits in with the 2H mode.

thanks.

xinek

Anyone interested in helping out with Laurence on NG? I'm officially tired of this fight. Definitely my least favorite of the DLC.

Forgot to say: I'm level 77.

Edited again: Never mind, finally got a collaborator. Now to go help other sad sacks trying to kill this guy!

Being able to buy rocks, as well as find another one in the DLC, is sweeeeeeet. I have 7 +10 weapons on my character in NG+, just testing them out. The saw cleaver/spear can just destroy everything, and have a really nice ability to stagger, but I'm digging the Rakuyo as a hunter/humanoid killer. Just lightning fast, and with surprising range. The Boom Hammer is slow, has a long recovery time, and takes up a ton of stamina, but damn if it isn't sick. Sending enemies flying doesn't get old. I never really used the Beast Claws, but I'm liking the moveset with the added rune. I need to test them more, but they were kicking ass. The Moonlight sword is really good, with a slight problem hitting low to the ground enemies with R1, but eh.

I'd say I like almost all the weapons in the game, minus the Beasthunter Saif and Beast Cutter. There are still several I need to check out (hmm, Bowblade), especially the guns.

Banzai

I Beat orphan of Kos. Very tough fight, but also really cool. His first Phase is fairly readable but the second is just insane. I got really Lucky with some dodges and backstabs in the end there.
On to Laurence and finishing up dlc sidequests.

Still debating whether i should do the Chalice Dungeons again. Already Beat them all on my other character, but I kinda want the extra Items and Levels on this new one. Do I really want to go through the defiled Chalice again?

edit: is there really no faster way to laurence than running all the way to the grand cathedral from the first lamp?

Jinjo

Replaying this as a strength/arcane build. Forgot how rage-inducing the forest was.

I might get the DLC now too though. Loving the Logarius wheel & Tonitrus right now.

Banzai

I beat Laurence on my second try. Maybe I was overleveled at 88?
All in all, amazing DLC. Loved all the new bosses and areas, especially research hall. I haven't really played around with the new weapons a lot but I like Whirligig Saw and
Amygdalans Arm

100% trophies in Main game and DLC.
So long Bloodborne, hello (13 day wait until) Dark Souls 3!

Nerokis

I'd say I like almost all the weapons in the game, minus the Beasthunter Saif and Beast Cutter. There are still several I need to check out (hmm, Bowblade), especially the guns.

Haha. Two weapons I've fallen in love with. Only the Saif and Rakuyo managed to tear me away from the Threaded Cane during my first playthrough, and I've settled into a Saw Cleaver/Beast Cutter routine on my new character.

Besides those, I've messed with the Burial Blade, Blade of Mercy, Kirkhammer, Ludwig's Holy Blade, and....that's it? It's ridiculous how few weapons I've tried for a meaningful stretch of time. I'd also love to check out the Bowblade, but I'm focusing on strength this time around, and bloodtinge doesn't seem to go well with that.

I Beat orphan of Kos. Very tough fight, but also really cool. His first Phase is fairly readable but the second is just insane. I got really Lucky with some dodges and backstabs in the end there.
On to Laurence and finishing up dlc sidequests.

Still debating whether i should do the Chalice Dungeons again. Already Beat them all on my other character, but I kinda want the extra Items and Levels on this new one. Do I really want to go through the defiled Chalice again?

edit: is there really no faster way to laurence than running all the way to the grand cathedral from the first lamp?

I was in the same boat with Chalice Dungeons. I decided not to do them again. DS3 is around the corner, and I want this playthrough to be short and sweet.

IvorB

So I've had a bout of playing this again recently. I was making good progress and then I got to The O
ld One
R
eborn
. I decided not to fight him because it kind of felt like I was nearing the end of the game so I went back to do some more chalice dungeons. There I encountered those three big douche-bags who come at you all at once but way faster and meaner than before. While fighting them I realised I had been very liberal with health vials and I was running out. So I left those three f**kers and go and explore an area I had on my list to check out. There I ended up in Cairnhurst Castle and finally made my way to M
artyr
L
onginus
. Now I've seen a lot of the bosses in this game but when this guy went crazy in his second phase I was legitimately shocked and terrified. I tried him for a while before I rage quit. So now I'm between three boss fights... oh and I'm out of health vials again. *sigh*

Just picked up the artbook. Wish the cover were hard like the other books.
welp that could be due to being a Japanese verison compare to the English release of the souls series art book.

Haha. Two weapons I've fallen in love with. Only the Saif and Rakuyo managed to tear me away from the Threaded Cane during my first playthrough, and I've settled into a Saw Cleaver/Beast Cutter routine on my new character.

Besides those, I've messed with the Burial Blade, Blade of Mercy, Kirkhammer, Ludwig's Holy Blade, and....that's it? It's ridiculous how few weapons I've tried for a meaningful stretch of time. I'd also love to check out the Bowblade, but I'm focusing on strength this time around, and bloodtinge doesn't seem to go well with that.

I was in the same boat with Chalice Dungeons. I decided not to do them again. DS3 is around the corner, and I want this playthrough to be short and sweet.

I think the Saif looks amazing, and the moveset is sweet, but it seems like a step down from the other saws in PvE. No serrated bonus, and unless I'm just wrong, less stagger? The Beast Cutter is cool (love the threaded cane), but something about using it just feels plain. I know it's supposed to be a crude weapon by the item description, but I guess that's my problem with it, heh.

Onemic

How often do you guys solo bosses, or do you always try to coop it if possible?

Doing NG+ and facing Gascoigne made me remember how difficult it was for me to solo him during my first play-through(especially because I didnt use that item that makes him easy)

I'm on NG++ and I can't for the life of me defeat the first boss.

Summoning help doesn't make it any easier it seems.
What level are you even at? I managed to beat Cleric Beast, Father G, Witches and Amelia pretty damn easily with my NG++ character. Leveled somewhere in the 180's I believe, probably helped that that's my platinum character with really good gems.
I think the Saif looks amazing, and the moveset is sweet, but it seems like a step down from the other saws in PvE. No serrated bonus, and unless I'm just wrong, less stagger? The Beast Cutter is cool (love the threaded cane), but something about using it just feels plain. I know it's supposed to be a crude weapon by the item description, but I guess that's my problem with it, heh.
I don't like the attack speed of the Beast Cutter in whip mode, just feels slow to me.

Nerokis

Not sure about the stagger. I just love how mobile it is. The shorter form has a lunge in the initial R1 attack, and a backstep in the transformation attack. Being able to seamlessly close and create gaps is great, and makes the Saif easier to use in a lot of cases than the plain ol' Saw Cleaver. Mostly, I miss less often using the Saif.

And yeah, the Beast Cutter is a slow, plain, crude thing. It also sweeps in nice, impactful lines, and with a long range. On this new character, I've had to fight the temptation to go back to the Threaded Cane (among the best weapons ever), and it's been interesting contrasting the Beast Cutter against it. There are certain situations where the Beast Cutter is amazing, and I like how it rewards a more deliberate approach, while still feeling like one of the most violent weapons in the game. Switching between it and something like the Saw Cleaver makes for a fun time.

Wasn't expecting to run into so many dead ends, I thought it was designed more like Dark Souls.
Out of the 5 bosses I've beaten, 3 of them were at dead ends, forcing me to either turn back or warping to hunter's dream.
I remember a lot of people having issues with this kind of design when Dark Souls 2 was released.
Anyway, after beating
Vicar Amalia
I took the path to the left which ended in a boss fight
(the Witch)
and a dead end. Then I took the path to the right and ended up in a big circular room with a pedestal in the middle. Not sure what I'm supposed to do now but I had to stop at that point so maybe I can figure it out when I get back to it.

Veelk

Banned
Anyway, after beating
Vicar Amalia
(the Witch)
and a dead end. Then I took the path to the right and ended up in a big circular room with a pedestal in the middle. Not sure what I'm supposed to do now but I had to stop at that point so maybe I can figure it out when I get back to it.

There is a path there, you just got to go elsewhere to open it up first. Click for spoilers.

When you go to the forest area, there is a path that leads back to the back of Iosefka's clinic. There you can get the Cainhurst Summons, and if you go to the area right before the witch house, you'll be taken to Castle Cainhurst, possibly the best looking area in the game.

jonjonaug

Wasn't expecting to run into so many dead ends, I thought it was designed more like Dark Souls.
Out of the 5 bosses I've beaten, 3 of them were at dead ends, forcing me to either turn back or warping to hunter's dream.
I remember a lot of people having issues with this kind of design when Dark Souls 2 was released.
Anyway, after beating
Vicar Amalia
(the Witch)
Where to go next:
There's a path leading to a new area from the large circular plaza with the now sleeping giant enemies. If you went down there before and couldn't advance, you have the password now.

Most of Bloodborne is optional content. You can finish the game with only eight bosses killed.

giphy.gif

Buy Bloodborne Game Of The Year PS4 from our All Games range - Tesco

£24.00

Earn 24 Clubcard points

Raptor

What weapon for a full-on STR build? I originally intended to do Kirkhammer on this, my second playthrough of BB, but I saw someone use the Whirligig Saw in coop, so I rushed through Amelia and did the run for Saw last night. Saw seems like a great boss weapon but less great for working through levels (and smaller opponents). How does its ability to break poise compare to KH or Ludwig's 1H modes? My first clear of the game was with a Chikage/bloodtinge build and I want something that can take out packs/break poise better than Chikage.

Whirligig Saw +10 with some good gems pretty much melts everythign you can think of, is probably the best weapon in the game lol.

But my favorite is the Chikage but thats bloodtinge build.

Thinking in beating NG+ to perfect it my build.

grmlin

How often do you guys solo bosses, or do you always try to coop it if possible?

Doing NG+ and facing Gascoigne made me remember how difficult it was for me to solo him during my first play-through(especially because I didnt use that item that makes him easy)

I beat the game completely solo. Tried using NPCs on some of the bosses but in the end I always learned how to beat them by myself.

Whirligig Saw +10 with some good gems pretty much melts everythign you can think of, is probably the best weapon in the game lol.

So much this. Whirligig Saw is just too good.

There is a path there, you just got to go elsewhere to open it up first. Click for spoilers.

When you go to the forest area, there is a path that leads back to the back of Iosefka's clinic. There you can get the Cainhurst Summons, and if you go to the area right before the witch house, you'll be taken to Castle Cainhurst, possibly the best looking area in the game.

Where to go next:
There's a path leading to a new area from the large circular plaza with the now sleeping giant enemies. If you went down there before and couldn't advance, you have the password now.

Most of Bloodborne is optional content. You can finish the game with only eight bosses killed.

Thanks.
Having so much content as optional is an interesting design decision.
I remember the door with the password but I don't remember getting the password itself lol.

KLoWn

Oh wow... I just realized that the red lanterns are for summoning friendly npc's. For some reason I thought they had to do with some PvP invasion stuff...
This game really need to explain this sort of stuff. Or maybe it did and I just missed it.

Do people use these npc's a lot? I only tried using one in the beginning of the dlc, and he seemed pretty powerful. Is there any downside in using them?

Onemic

Oh wow... I just realized that the red lanterns are for summoning friendly npc's. For some reason I thought they had to do with some PvP invasion stuff...
This game really need to explain this sort of stuff. Or maybe it did and I just missed it.

Do people use these npc's a lot? I only tried using one in the beginning of the dlc, and he seemed pretty powerful. Is there any downside in using them?

You can summon NPC's in BB? Is this a DLC only thing or was it in the entire time?

SDR-UK

A lot of the NPC summons (read: all but Gascoigne) were introduced with The Old Hunters DLC. They consume insight to use and some are useful, although others are dumb as hell. Although, they are tanks in regards to health so there is that benefit, too. A competent summoned player will outdo them everyday though.

The League update (prior the DLC) added more noticeable red lantern summons, before the patch it was just a random note you could easily ignore.

And yes some are good NPC (Valtr, Madara, Yurie, Alfred), others just to bait the boss to give you space but dont do anything at all you better do the boss alone

I know I am late to the party but I just started this game. I managed to level up to 15 (I started as the Waste of Skin class) and then took down the Cleric Beast my second try. Now I am off to explore the sewers, I think?

SPCTRE

I'm wayyy LTTP and just found the shortcut back to the first lantern, it was one of those "okay, game, now you've fucking got me, bye all my free hours" moments.

ApharmdX

Banned

I did my first playthrough with Chikage +10/Evelyn +1 /BT build. I don't like the moveset. Bloodtinge does open up ranged damage as a legit tactic but I was disappointed with Chikage ultimately.

Mezoly

The Shadows of Yharnam are kicking my ass at level 55. Maybe I should come back later.

You are at the right level to beat them.
Try to gun parry the guy with the katana first. After killing him, kill the flaming sword guy next you could gun pary him as well but it's a little harder. Lastly go to the fire ball guy and stay close to him and keep hitting him so he doesn't summon. At all times during the fight(except when the fire guy is left alone) keep the large grave between you and the fire ball guy

grmlin

When I first saw one of the red lamps I thought: oh no, this will summon something bad.

I learned they were meant to help me then lol :)

BUT, I tried it a few times, but they either died fighting bosses with me or I finally understood how to beat a boss and did not need them anymore. In the end I solo'd them all.

Top Bottom