• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

The DLC is definitely worth it. I would recommend you buy it now and play it before beating the game as it will be much harder in NG+. It can be accessed
after killing Vicar Amelia
so you can play it as soon as you buy it, but if you wait til NG+ you'll need to progress that far.

Yeah, my worry is not just the time to unlock it in NG+, but the difficulty. I've heard it's very challenging.

Glad I can start DLC right away.

Veelk

Banned
I have to say, I'm really loving the replay value of the game.

My overarching goal here is to get all my weapons upgraded to levels 9 and 10. However, I'm still in the stage where all I'm finding is twin blood stone shards, and the beginning was a bit slow, it's fun to go through and just stroll through the game, enjoying the scenery and gameplay. I feel like I have such a greater mastery of the game now. I'm currently in the forbidden woods though, and I remember that area just being a pain because of how difficult to navigate it was. Alternatively, I can go to Cainhurst Castle, which was my favorite area in the whole game.

I rarely replay a game consecutively, but it's just been a fantastic experience so far.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I have to say, I'm really loving the replay value of the game.

My overarching goal here is to get all my weapons upgraded to levels 9 and 10. However, I'm still in the stage where all I'm finding is twin blood stone shards, and the beginning was a bit slow, it's fun to go through and just stroll through the game, enjoying the scenery and gameplay. I feel like I have such a greater mastery of the game now. I'm currently in the forbidden woods though, and I remember that area just being a pain because of how difficult to navigate it was. Alternatively, I can go to Cainhurst Castle, which was my favorite area in the whole game.

I rarely replay a game consecutively, but it's just been a fantastic experience so far.

Souls games are very replayable. In fact they're just about the only modern games I routinely replay, really. The only other exception is Salt and Sanctuary (a sort-of Souls-like!), Dragon's Crown (to try all the characters since they all play very differently), and Dragon's Dogma (replayed twice, once when I got the Dark Arisen expansion on PS+, and another time on PC).

Not only are the games just so damn good, but it's always interesting to try different movesets or playstyles, it can really alter the experience.

KLoWn

Read that farming the lycans in Upper Cathedral Ward was the best way to get blood stone chunks, but is it really? It's painfully boring, and I've only gotten one chunk so far... guh...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Read that farming the lycans in Upper Cathedral Ward was the best way to get blood stone chunks, but is it really? It's painfully boring, and I've only gotten one chunk so far... guh...
I think you're better off accumulating insight and buying them from the messengers, tbh. Sounds more fun too anyway, if you run out of Great One's Wisdom or whatever, you get to engage in jolly cooperation!

Chalice Dungeons? bosses start to drop them around depth 4. Do you have the DLC? You can get chunks there. Where are you exactly?

I can get 4 +10 weapons and a +8 in a playthrough, only farming a couple (say I have 6 of 8 and don't want to wait for the DLC ones). Being able to buy rocks now is fantastic, and unless you really spread your chunks out (sounds dirty), you should be able to have a nice variety without farming Upper Cathedral or Cainhurst.

Tarkus

The Cainhurst helmet and Executioner Garb with my Holy Blade looks so good! If only the sheath of the blade when one-handed didn't clip with the scarf of the garb :-/

KLoWn

I just killed
Lady Maria
and holy shit that was epic, MOSTLY because of the music lol. Cuz the fight was easy as hell. But fun nontheless.

I think you're better off accumulating insight and buying them from the messengers, tbh. Sounds more fun too anyway, if you run out of Great One's Wisdom or whatever, you get to engage in jolly cooperation!

Chalice Dungeons? bosses start to drop them around depth 4. Do you have the DLC? You can get chunks there. Where are you exactly?
I haven't done too much dungeon exploring, I find them really boring tbh.
Maybe I should check them out.

I have the DLC and I'm at the part where I just arrived at some
fisher village

I can get 4 +10 weapons and a +8 in a playthrough, only farming a couple (say I have 6 of 8 and don't want to wait for the DLC ones). Being able to buy rocks now is fantastic, and unless you really spread your chunks out (sounds dirty), you should be able to have a nice variety without farming Upper Cathedral or Cainhurst.
4 +10 weapon in one playthrough? How the fuck... Well, I guess I'm not really well versed in the art of farming stuff yet.

Joei

I just killed
Lady Maria
and holy shit that was epic, MOSTLY because of the music lol. Cuz the fight was easy as hell. But fun nontheless.

I haven't done too much dungeon exploring, I find them really boring tbh.
Maybe I should check them out.

I have the DLC and I'm at the part where I just arrived at some
fisher village

4 +10 weapon in one playthrough? How the fuck... Well, I guess I'm not really well versed in the art of farming stuff yet.

I got 4 in my playthrough as well with no farming. I did do all the chalice dungeons though.

grmlin

I got 4 in my playthrough as well with no farming. I did do all the chalice dungeons though.

Yeah, farming insight isn't that appealing, how would you do that anyway?

After a playthrough you should have enough madman's knowledge to buy one blood rock, and you'll find two more in the game and dlc.
How many rooks can be found in the dungeons? One?

I still can't decide what to use my 3rd rock with (skill char, currently leveling bloodtinge).
I have the Reiterpallasch and Church Pick at +10. Bowblade? Rakuyo? Any advice?

Wait what? The one in the Fishing Hamlet at the bottom, what else?

I want to know that, too! :D

Just started a new playthrough as a Lone Survivor with the threaded cane and blunderbuss.

I want to focus on a parrying this time around instead of dodging. Any particular weapons I should keep an eye out for or stats I should boost to make a good 'parry' build?

I'm considering getting Old Hunters, worth the $20? My understanding is that as long as I don't finish the game, I can access the Old Hunters stuff as long as Amelia is killed, correct? Just want to make sure I don't screw myself out of accessing it and having to start a new game or whatever.

Just started a new playthrough as a Lone Survivor with the threaded cane and blunderbuss.

I want to focus on a parrying this time around instead of dodging. Any particular weapons I should keep an eye out for or stats I should boost to make a good 'parry' build?

I'm considering getting Old Hunters, worth the $20? My understanding is that as long as I don't finish the game, I can access the Old Hunters stuff as long as Amelia is killed, correct? Just want to make sure I don't screw myself out of accessing it and having to start a new game or whatever.

Bloodtinge and damage means nothing as far as parry ability, so don't worry about that. Grab a pistol for more accurate (fires immediately) parries, but after forcing myself to use the blunderbuss, it is nice to stagger if you miss the window. Practice plenty, by figuring out what range you need to be at. It's almost like a dance...moving in and out to bait an attack. After getting a parry, dodge forward R1 if you are far away, otherwise you'll have time to just run up and hug them for a visceral.

I bought ToH a few weeks ago, and it is totally worth it. And you have the right idea when you can access it. Just don't get dumped into NG+, and it's all good.

My random Bloodborne thought of the day...Lower Loran Carl, for that full cinematic experience.

Correct, you can enter it any time after beating Vicar Amelia, as long as you don't NG+, then you'll have to beat her again. Worth the $20 in my opinion, 6 new bosses, a ton of new sidearms and weapons to find, and 3 new areas as well. Plus it has some of the best battles in any Soulsborne game. Go for it!

grmlin

Viscerals with a skill build are devastating. For maximum effect equip the runes to increase the visceral damage even further. I don't remember when you find them though.

I started my skill build with the cane, too. I switched to the Reiterpallasch though and loved it

burnfout

I completed the last chalice dungeon today (descendant,bloodbetting beast, queen), got the platinum trophy and also beat Ludwig, Living Failures and Maria after that.

Good enough progress for today. Looks like I'll finish the DLC before Dark Souls 3.

Any tips for beating the orphan? He smashed me easily. Dodging his attacks seems tough as they seem to hit no matter where I roll. Maybe I should level up, I only just got to lv80. I see on the wiki it recommends 80-100 for the DLC. I've done the majority of it so far in the mid 70s
DLC has been awesome so far though. But this fucker is starting to get on my nerves

I LOVE the Chalice Dungeons. I hope there is a similar idea in DS3.
bluth-no5uxtd.gif

Personally I would've much preferred them as another area where you you descend into the Pthumerian ruins and the bosses were just the unique bosses from the Chalice Dungeons - the queen, the punchy guy, watchdog etc - fire witch and the big trolls etc are normal area enemies. I liked the lore and the idea in theory but after defeating the queen twice I never want to see them ever again, ever!

I like the dungeons too (extra content), but I say I hate them because of the loot, required mats, the confusion with creating them, not being profile wide (say make a dungeon once, never need mats again on others), needing PS+ to enter glyph codes, and having good gems being tied to farming them, rather than finding better and better gems in Ng+ and beyond. They'll probably never do anything like it again, but I feel it could be great with some tweaks.

xinek

I like the dungeons too (extra content), but I say I hate them because of the loot, required mats, the confusion with creating them, not being profile wide (say make a dungeon once, never need mats again on others), needing PS+ to enter glyph codes, and having good gems being tied to farming them, rather than finding better and better gems in Ng+ and beyond. They'll probably never do anything like it again, but I feel it could be great with some tweaks.

Could you have described the problems more succinctly and perfectly? No, you couldn't have. Chalice dungeons were such a good idea, and I'd love to see them done right. Oh well.

Korosenai

The concept is cool, the areas are cool, but honestly they should have condensed the areas into one giant area that you can actually walk too then progress through it like a normal area in the game.

KLoWn

Just killed
Orphan of Kos
, and apparently he was the last boss? He was cool and all, but the fight felt a bit too easy tbh. I was expecting two Ludwig's or something jumping out for the last boss.
It took around 5 tries, which would've been 2-3 if I hadn't listened to all the messages saying that I should use a quick weapon. When I switched to 2-handed I just pummeled him to death.

All in all it was a really good expansion, well worth the money. And I still got Laurence left.

I don't know when I will quit this game for good. I'm hours into a level 4 character, though I gotta say it felt about the same as the level 30 character I started earlier. The bloodletting beast gave me a lot more trouble, and don't get me started on the headless one.
The defiled chalice was an ace, and Amygdala went from worst boss in the game to my best known match-up, by far.

Now I'm stuck with paarl/loran. THIS right now seems to be the antichrist of low-level characters. The RNG in this battle is so fucking real, with the fucker sometimes being as docile as Vicar Amelia or just going completely berserk when it wants to. It's either all over the fucking camera frame or completely out of it the next second, punishing you for either rolling towards it or for deciding to roll away. I can't figure out a pattern, and timing a roll for its aoe is way too risky for me. I get as far as getting it to half its life, but then one mistake or one off-camera swipe and I'm done.

I moved into the dlc equipped with 27% gems on the cleaver and--don't judge me-- summoned the NPC to beat Ludwig. I didn't want to take any chances, and I just had it with Paarl. Fucked it up real good with absolutely no regrets.

/life's good

Went through the dungeons with another character, and from the insight gain from those bosses, I actually got 5 +10 weapons. Beasthunter Saif, Burial Blade, Blade of Mercy, Rakuyo, and a Rifle Spear. The quality of weapons in this game is insane.

Anyone else listening to the Bloodborne soundtrack in a vain attempt to satiate hype until Dark Souls 3? ;_;

I must be the only one in this thread who's not a big fan of the soundtrack. I always thought too many of its tracks had that same generic clergical vibe to them, and I can't always remember what theme belongs to which boss most of the time. Most of the time I have the music volume set to 0, but my favorite track is the one for the Pthumerian Descendant, his battle notwithstanding.

Styles

I love love love the Rakuyo so much; the R2 swing of the transformed mode does so much damage to big bosses. I heard horrific stories regarding the Bloodletting Beast in the final depth of the Pthmeru Chalice dungeons, but I managed to kill it after a few attempts with my trusty Rakuyo. I had more trouble with the boss in the first layer than I did with layers 2 and 3, most because of the bullshit arena. I can't wait to roll a Holy Knight build on my next playthrough!

P.S Fuck Laurence a thousand times over, even though I finally beat him after like a countless number of tries. <3

grmlin

I'm a little sad. I don't enjoy playing Dark Souls 1 at all. It's so clunky, the controls are so meh. I don't know, I will give it some more time, I have the feeling that I should not have played Bloodborne first.

Caja 117

Have almost 2 days just dedicated to the DLC, Im amazed as is actually longer than I expected, and boy was that Laboratory section hard, I probrably lost 200,000 blood echoes on multiple deaths, loosing up to 70k in one run, I did moved forward and I reached to the point were [
after you fight Hunter Maria
as soon as In done with yhe DLC is off to Nightmare mensis....

Wow, that's... certainly an unusual opinion. The idea was good on paper, but there were several things that mar the end result considerably. For one, the point was to have random dungeons but in the end 90% of people just played the non-root versions, making the whole thing kind of a waste. Also, there should have been much more variety between dungeons. At the bare minimum each setting (Pthumeru, Hinthertomb, etc.) should have been completely different rather than a slight recolor with some unique rooms. I mean wildly different settings, like forest, castle, sewers, whatever, not just crypt variations.

I didn't even understand which were random and which weren't, or which were required and which weren't. I saw all kinds of flowcharts and spreadsheets on what to do and what not to do. The whole thing was unnecessarily convoluted with it's naming etc.

Another layer, another 3 rital blood 5's and a yellow backbone, woohoo! :|

Soulhouf

Solo they are meh but if you have a friend to coop with, they are great because you basically play them like Diablo.
I don't really like doing coop in general in Souls games but I found the Chalices pretty good for that.

Wow, that's... certainly an unusual opinion. The idea was good on paper, but there were several things that mar the end result considerably. For one, the point was to have random dungeons but in the end 90% of people just played the non-root versions, making the whole thing kind of a waste. Also, there should have been much more variety between dungeons. At the bare minimum each setting (Pthumeru, Hinthertomb, etc.) should have been completely different rather than a slight recolor with some unique rooms. I mean wildly different settings, like forest, castle, sewers, whatever, not just crypt variations.

You are asking a lot from a company that uses their resources to the minimum.

Different tiers of ritual materials, farm, and hide the best gems on random chalices until you give up and look for the internet for an especific gylph and farm it is really annoying.

Lets not forget coop was really, really confusing and unnecesary complex

I'm a little sad. I don't enjoy playing Dark Souls 1 at all. It's so clunky, the controls are so meh. I don't know, I will give it some more time, I have the feeling that I should not have played Bloodborne first.
Don't constantly compare it to Bloodborne while you're playing. I feel like that's what a lot of people do. Just take it slow and eventually you will get used to the speed and flow of the combat.

Demons's Souls was the first souls game I played after Bloodborne. I went in knowing it was slower than Bloodborne and so I didn't try to compare it. After awhile I was fine because I was playing how the game wants you to play and accepted it.

Honestly I find the speed in Demon's Souls to be rather comparable to Bloodborne...
Dark Souls was actually the last game in the series I played and it plays like Demon's souls from what I remember.

I doubt if he played Demon's souls instead of Dark souls his experience would be much different. Maybe it's slightly faster than DaS but I never considered it like Bloodborne.

grmlin

Don't constantly compare it to Bloodborne while you're playing. I feel like that's what a lot of people do. Just take it slow and eventually you will get used to the speed and flow of the combat.

Demons's Souls was the first souls game I played after Bloodborne. I went in knowing it was slower than Bloodborne and so I didn't try to compare it. After awhile I was fine because I was playing how the game wants you to play and accepted it.

No, I don't want to compare. I know it's somewhat another type of game ;)

But I'm so used to Bloodborne atm that I have a hard time to adapt to it. Thats all. I will give it a try again some time in the future I think

Veelk

Banned
Okay, FUCK the abhorrent beast.

This is my 3rd time dealing with this fuck, and it's the beggar, so it's weaker than the chalice dungeon form, but I got stuck on him for like an hour.

I like aggressive bosses, but this is just stupid. The main reliable strategy to beat him, atleast on that I found, is to just dodge his attacks, attack once, then back off. But his attacks are fast, hard to predict, and hit hard as fuck. Technically he doesn't have 1 hit kill attacks, but if you get hit by one, and chances are you'll be too stunned to dodge the next two, so it might as well be a 1hk. And while I understand he's not an official boss, the road to him is so frustratingly long.

He's not a fun boss to fight at all for me. I know he has some fans here, but he's not complex or interesting, he's just a locomotive I feel like you can only fight one way, and if you fuck up once, you're done. I don't think that's very fun. I've gotten stuck on bosses before, but he's the only one that actually frustrates me.

You are asking a lot from a company that uses their resources to the minimum.

Different tiers of ritual materials, farm, and hide the best gems on random chalices until you give up and look for the internet for an especific gylph and farm it is really annoying.

Lets not forget coop was really, really confusing and unnecesary complex

Do you mean in the chalice dungeons? I think co-op works really well in the main game, and I certainly prefer ringing a bell (either the beckoning or the small one) and just keep moving forward through the levels instead of needing to find summon signs at specific locations.

edit: i realize you must've meant the chalice dungeons. I don't think it was more complex, was it? But it was definitely harder for me to match up since the layers were divided (and frustrating that you couldn't go through all layers with the same summons). Anyway, it seems BB gets a lot of flak for the bell structure but I found it to work great for me who prefer coop over invading.

Top Bottom