• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
And while I understand he's not an official boss, the road to him is so frustratingly long.
Did you get the elevator shortcut near the lamp?

Anyway, he's totally optional. I always send him to Iosefka's and just fight the proper boss fight in the chalice dungeon, haha. Just cheese him with poison knives if you really want to kill him... and if you want to beat him legit just fight the chalice version?

Soulhouf

Honestly I find the speed in Demon's Souls to be rather comparable to Bloodborne...

Pretty much.
I remember the first time I went back to Demon's Souls after playing Dark Souls for a year and the character felt like he was going to fly because he was too fast compared to Dark Souls.

Veelk

Banned
Did you get the elevator shortcut near the lamp?

Anyway, he's totally optional. I always send him to Iosefka's and just fight the proper boss fight in the chalice dungeon, haha. Just cheese him with poison knives if you really want to kill him... and if you want to beat him legit just fight the chalice version?

Oh, I already won. And yeah, I do have the elevator activated, I still find it too long.

I've recieved a lot of responses like this when I complained about the paths to the bosses before. "Oh, it's not that long to get back there. Just a hop, skip, and leap away!" And technically that's true. Lets clock the path to the beggar at around 45 seconds, though I would think it takes maybe a minute, since you should probably stop and kill the werewolf on your way there or he'll follow you up. But you want to know what number is smaller than 45? 5. Why not have it 5 seconds away? When it's a tough boss that requires a lot of tries, even a short path adds up. It took me like 20 tries to beat him. 45 seconds adds up to 15 minutes of utterly wasted time just running through that path over and over. Same with Ludwig. You have that lamp just outside. I clocked it. Sprinting, you can get there in about 20 seconds. If it takes you twenty tries to beat him (may have taken me that long, he was the toughest boss in the game for me), then that's 10 minutes of me doing nothing but sprinting to get back to him.

The only lamp I found to be an acceptable distance from the boss was Maria's. If I die, it takes less than 5 seconds to run into the room once the game finishes reloading. I see that as the maximum amount of time it should take me to get back into the game, sans loading.

Anything more than 5 seconds is the game deliberately wasting my time.

Pretty much.
I remember the first time I went back to Demon's Souls after playing Dark Souls for a year and the character felt like he was going to fly because he was too fast compared to Dark Souls.

I really want Demons Souls to be remastered. I want to play it about as much as DS1, but I want to play it in the best possible quality which hopefully will also not set my laptop on fire.

See: https://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=199419034

What's important is to stay at a safe distance for the first two thirds of the fight, but to stay close to it after the arms come off.

To add: my foolproof strategy. It may take some time to avoid the arms while approaching it, but by the last phase it's all about staying by the crotch and then jogging towards it when it jumps.

Phase one you can hit its head up to 3 times, but don't go over 2 hits when it goes into the second phase. Also during phase 2, wait a bit longer for the hands to stop glowing when it slams the floor. With a shorter range weapon like the cleaver it can be harder, but everything's the same. I should upload a video against it from my last character where I used the cleaver.

Nerokis

Went through the dungeons with another character, and from the insight gain from those bosses, I actually got 5 +10 weapons. Beasthunter Saif, Burial Blade, Blade of Mercy, Rakuyo, and a Rifle Spear. The quality of weapons in this game is insane.

Yup. There was a time when I agreed with the "not enough weapons" people, and to an extent, I can still sympathize with them. But I've come to appreciate how incredible the weapons in this game are. Diverse, nuanced movesets, with strong identities. You can argue whether the weapons hit the sweet spot on the quantity vs. quality spectrum, but overall, I find it hard to see the weapons not listed as one of the game's strong points.

Also, I like seeing the Beasthunter Saif there. Out of those weapons, I never managed to click with the Rifle Spear. I should give it another shot soon.

No, I don't want to compare. I know it's somewhat another type of game ;)

But I'm so used to Bloodborne atm that I have a hard time to adapt to it. Thats all. I will give it a try again some time in the future I think

Don't worry, I understand. I had the same experience with Demon's Souls. After going through Scholar and Bloodborne, I just couldn't get into it. I've carried around a lot of guilt ever since.

Soulhouf

I really want Demons Souls to be remastered. I want to play it about as much as DS1, but I want to play it in the best possible quality which hopefully will also not set my laptop on fire.

It's still too early to remaster it TBH but for sure it would be nice.

Dark Souls 3 has the exact same feeling (character movement, the physics, the impact) as Demon's Souls. It also has some great ideas from Demon's Souls that disappeared in the next games.

Yup. There was a time when I agreed with the "not enough weapons" people, and to an extent, I can still sympathize with them. But I've come to appreciate how incredible the weapons in this game are. Diverse, nuanced movesets, with strong identities. You can argue whether the weapons hit the sweet spot on the quantity vs. quality spectrum, but overall, I find it hard to see the weapons not listed as one of the game's strong points.

Also, I like seeing the Beasthunter Saif there. Out of those weapons, I never managed to click with the Rifle Spear. I should give it another shot soon.

Don't worry, I understand. I had the same experience with Demon's Souls. After going through Scholar and Bloodborne, I just couldn't get into it. I've carried around a lot of guilt ever since.

Rifle spear seems great mid-game, but I find most other skill weapons you can pick up later more enjoyable to use (less limited movesets). Beasthunter Saif took me a while to cozy up to, but I love it now. Free aiming in untransformed mode is huge against groups, or when targeting weak spots on bosses, while transformed mode kills hunters quick.

That's all well and good, but once it starts jumping during the 3rd phase, you're pretty much boned

Jumping part is the easiest to take advantage of. As soon as it leaps, you can stop moving, do a charged R2, aiming for its head when it lands. If you don't move, he won't hurt you when landing. You could then just roll between its legs to bait another leap.

That's all well and good, but once it starts jumping during the 3rd phase, you're pretty much boned

Meant to quote you earlier. Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rDW0hf3xXY

4:05 mark

Jumping part is the easiest to take advantage of. As soon as it leaps, you can stop moving, do a charged R2, aiming for its head when it lands. If you don't move, he won't hurt you when landing. You could then just roll between its legs to bait another leap.

Never worked for me, way too risky. Staying at the crotch and going towards it works all the time.

Rifle spear seems great mid-game, but I find most other skill weapons you can pick up later more enjoyable to use (less limited movesets). Beasthunter Saif took me a while to cozy up to, but I love it now. Free aiming in untransformed mode is huge against groups, or when targeting weak spots on bosses, while transformed mode kills hunters quick.

Stood still, charged up R2, died as its head lands on me.

You stopped moving as soon as it jumped? I've honestly been through that three or four times and never had him damage me on that (got stepped on attacking its arms plenty, heh). If fact, I thought only its arms and feet damaged on the way down, but I'd have to search up info on that to be sure.

I should also say, the leap bait is from behind. There is a chance that the leap lands in different spots depending on where you are when it goes up I guess. I bait from the tail.

No matter what I do, I die.

I have enjoyed every minute of this game, up until I stepped foot into this Defiled dungeon 6-ish hours ago.

Sorry to hear it. First time through there can suck. I stopped playing for a few months after banging my head against the doggy, only to beat him within a couple tries when returning. It probably is the most challenging content in the game (outside of making a depth 5 dungeon with all rites), so there is that.

Honestly I find the speed in Demon's Souls to be rather comparable to Bloodborne...
Playing Demons Souls post Bloodborne is a lot easier than Dark Souls 2 post Bloodborne.

I have enjoyed every minute of this game, up until I stepped foot into this Defiled dungeon 6-ish hours ago.
What's your build. 3rd phase is decent if you have access to some long range attacks. I fucked him up with my skill/arcane character wielding a burial blade.

Yeah... I cannot get this damn dog either. One hit kills really suck.
How much Hp do you guys have?

For the dog, bait his head swipes. Dodge towards whatever side the head swipes come from and hit once or twice. Followed by 2 back steps if I remember correctly. Its time consuming but safe. Also if you repeatedly attack a certain limb or head, it will break the "armor" and any further attacks to that limb or head will do increase dmg.

Caja 117

Im not sure what to do, in terms of level up, Right now my tops stats are vitality at 30, Strength at 32 and Arcane at 20 (endurance is a 25), Should I continue on putting points on Strength?

SDR-UK

Yeah... I cannot get this damn dog either. One hit kills really suck.

If you guys need help, I'm willing to offer.

Im not sure what to do, in terms of level up, Right now my tops stats are vitality at 30, Strength at 32 and Arcane at 20 (endurance is a 25), Should I continue on putting points on Strength?

I would, right up until you hit 40, although it drops off a cliff after that. Unless you feel the need to put more points in Vitality. Honestly though, there are no wasted points in the first (up to) 40 levels of each statistic so you cannot really mess it up that much.

Just beat Amygdala earlier today, 2nd? try I think? Bit of a heartbreaker the first loss, had it down to 1/5th of its health, arms off and all that. Was going toe-to-toe with it then, but the swipes and large AOE purple attacks won the day. Cheaped out the second go-round, stayed near and attacked the crotchal area with the sawblade's first mode and it worked wonderfully. Staying near the right leg was the ticket, and not moving when it jumped was great advice.

Tarkus

After a terrifying area and intro, The One Reborn was a pushover. I used three vials and never lost more than 25% health.

Edit: got Amygdala on first try. I guess doing almost 600 AR on a weapon makes things easy.

Veelk

Banned
tumblr_o51rrrndPA1rvzrnqo1_500.jpg
lol

That's not possible, unless you are fighting with other people.

If you stand still after she jumps she will never land on you. I've done that dozens and dozens of times and never had problems.

Keep trying because you're definitely doing something wrong. Good luck.

ColdPizza

Banned
Man, sometimes there is no better feeling that eeking out a boss victory by the skin of your teeth. Intense.

I feel I'm getting a better challenge so far on my NG+ than in my original playthrough.

Tried to do some ludwig coop, is really hard to avoid being instant killed or the being destroyed in one swipe or in a random charge attack.

jonjonaug

After a terrifying area and intro, The One Reborn was a pushover. I used three vials and never lost more than 25% health.

Edit: got Amygdala on first try. I guess doing almost 600 AR on a weapon makes things easy.
It's possible to access the Nightmare Frontier as early as right after Amelia, so Amygdala doesn't have that much HP.

KLoWn

Just beat Laurence, a pretty fun fight, but somewhat simple. He just did the same thigs over and over.

Since I think chalice dungeons are boring as shit, and thus won't be doing them, this was the last boss left for me to kill. Feels kinda empty after been spending so much time with the game.
Maybe I'll start a NG++ run.

Wimps

I was in the same position. Didnt have a problem until that last fucking phase. Amygdala drove me mad. Luckily I managed to beat her yesterday. Psyche.

During that last phase when she jumps just run toward her (without sprint) and do a roll forward right before she lands. And then resume your original tactic of hitting her hands. That eventually got me through all her jumps without a single hit.

Tarkus

Micolash is one-shotting me. I should have spent more in VIT (30) instead of trying to keep the game challenging.

Edit: and in typical Souls fashion, I beat him on the next try with little use of vials.

Faenix1

K. Can someone give this moron tips on getting the Bloody Messenger Head Bandage the easiest way? I've tried running and jumping off that beam so many times I feel like I'm gonna kill someone. Surely there has to be an easier way, right?

Holy shit, I just did it. Beat the fucking Loran dark beast earlier after a week of trying. I could have easily spent more than four game hours just trying to beat this motherfucker. I'm done, my level 4 character feels complete. No boss is harder than this, and I hardly learned anything from it other than it is pure RNG bullshit. I don't want to see this fucker ever again.

I will upload a video of it later, including another Amygdala fight. I swear, if anyone is still stuck with it, there's no better way to beat it.

K. Can someone give this moron tips on getting the Bloody Messenger Head Bandage the easiest way? I've tried running and jumping off that beam so many times I feel like I'm gonna kill someone. Surely there has to be an easier way, right?

I've always done it like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rff2_nq9i4s

Starts at around 2:45. Only thing that makes it easier for me is to sprint across the platform to gain speed and take a sharp right turn where the body is to jump across. It can be trickier to time the jump with less running speed.

Try dropping onto the wooden platforms directly below the beam you're jumping from, and jump from there instead.

Krammy

Did Rom, the Vacuous Spider get a buff since the release of this game? I used to whoop her ass up and down with ease on solo, but I've died three times now with a CPU partner! While it's certainly possible that I was a higher level on my older runs, I really don't feel like there would have been so much of a gap between easily winning and losing horribly.

Veelk

Banned
She's actually easier without a partner. Enemies get a buff if you are going up against them people a partner, so you have to deal with Rom having way more health. I made the same mistake with her in the chalice dungeon and got stuck for a long time until I went at her alone and slaughtered her.

In most cases, the buddy system works, but in Rom's case, it's very counter intuitive.

taybul

Laurence is really difficult using beast claws. He staggers you if you get too close.

Micolash is one-shotting me. I should have spent more in VIT (30) instead of trying to keep the game challenging.

Edit: and in typical Souls fashion, I beat him on the next try with little use of vials.

I recently figured out how to dodge his call beyond attack. When he starts the attack, dodge toward him when you see the dots (not the stars) that fire at you.

Did Rom, the Vacuous Spider get a buff since the release of this game? I used to whoop her ass up and down with ease on solo, but I've died three times now with a CPU partner! While it's certainly possible that I was a higher level on my older runs, I really don't feel like there would have been so much of a gap between easily winning and losing horribly.

Rom has a couple of nice parallels with the end fight of Max Payne 3, wouldn't you agree? Best strategy being 'keep looking at em.'

Plus, you get to make lots of nice new friends during the fight, even if they can't stay long. Ain't no party like a spiderparty, due to the fact that the spiderparty comes with more ice than you are able to handle. The drinks are always cold, and Rom even does the worm! Best boss fight ever.

silva1991

How is the PvP in BB? I just realized I've never engaged in much PvP in any FROM game.

Don't try it. the game might have the best combat in the series in PvE, but it doesn't translate well in PvP

too spammy in everything attacking, shooting and healing.

DS3 PvP is glorious tho so, try the PvP in that one.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
In most cases, the buddy system works, but in Rom's case, it's very counter intuitive.
Yeah, there are a few bosses like that. I feel like Bloodstarved Beast is easier solo because of its erratic, spastic movement, coupled with a bit of lag, makes it just weirder and unpredictable.

A boss that's legit hard, but completely trivialized by coop, though, is the Abhorrent Beast. My friend and I just slaughtered the Ailing Loran one yesterday. I felt bad, so despite us doing this campaign in coop, I think I'll solo the Lower Loran one some time. xD I also solo'd Lady Maria because cooping against her feels so very very wrong.

Veelk

Banned
I also solo'd Lady Maria because cooping against her feels so very very wrong.

Yeah, she's definitely an opponent that deserves a solo match. I cannot stress enough how much of a fanboy I am of Lady Maria. Her design, her fight, her weapon, her style...even her costume. Even though it's like the weakest in the game because almost no enemy uses blood attacks, I constantly wear it because it's the swaggest looking thing in the game.

Only problem is that while her fight is fantastic, but girl has a glass jaw when it comes to Visceral attacks. I think all human hunter enemies are really susceptible to VA's, but Maria is especially so. That's how I won my fight with her, because when I fought without them, she whooped my ass. I hope she gets a nice healthboost from NG+ so now she can take a hit.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Visceral attacks are not that overpowered on her unless you have really high skill and/or use the visceral-boosting runes, to be honest. I fought her on my bloodtinge build yesterday, with only 18 skill (using chikage mostly in transformed mode and non-transformed for viscerals), no clawmark rune, and it wasn't doing that much.

IMO she's just even more vulnerable to quick fast weapons than viscerals, because she's easily stunlocked. Blades of mercy absolutely wreck her, but you're going to struggle if you try a big slow weapon like the transformed kirkhammer.

Veelk

Banned
Visceral attacks are not that overpowered on her unless you have really high skill and/or use the visceral-boosting runes, to be honest. I fought her on my bloodtinge build yesterday, with only 18 skill (using chikage mostly in transformed mode and non-transformed for viscerals), no clawmark rune, and it wasn't doing that much.

IMO she's just even more vulnerable to quick fast weapons than viscerals, because she's easily stunlocked. Blades of mercy absolutely wreck her, but you're going to struggle if you try a big slow weapon like the transformed kirkhammer.

I had a skill build, so yeah, very overpowered for me.

I beat her with the Reiterpallash, but I was using that weapon as a matter of narrative importance to my character. Another option would have been to go up against her with Chikage. With her armor, she'd be strong against it's blood attacks, but facing her down with the sister weapon of Rakuyo would be the most appropriate fight you could have with her.

I try not to exploit gameplay bugs/loopholes where I can when I like the fight, but I also don't go out of my way to handicap myself. Like, I'd never use the Hammer against her because I see no point, it doesn't give me any advantage and it doesn't matter for narrative purposes. I might use the Moonlight Holy Blade though. Healing Church Paragon vs Cainhurst Paragon whose been corrupted), and since that weapon is slow, it would produce a similar difficulty.

Maybe because I'm on like ng++++ but Maria kind of gets on my nerves now. It's annoying fighting her without viscerals. She has too many wind up moves starting with phase 2. These moves also track you and can hit from across the room. Phase 3 is superfluous.

But Iike I mentioned, it's probably because I'm 5 rounds in.

Tarkus

I just beat
Gehrman. Something came out of the sky and fucked me up. I'm really lacking in the lore about what's going on here. This game is crazy.

Great. Now I'm in NG+ without having done the DLC :-/

Still making my way through the DLC after a week long break or so. Orphan of Kos is seriously starting to piss me off. He's like the third boss in a row with INSANE reach, super aggressive attacks, and combos that are essentially one-hit kills.

I won't even pretend not to be pissed off right now. Just need to vent.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that his attacks have crazy tracking as well.

Top Bottom