• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Still making my way through the DLC after a week long break or so. Orphan of Kos is seriously starting to piss me off. He's like the third boss in a row with INSANE reach, super aggressive attacks, and combos that are essentially one-hit kills.

I won't even pretend not to be pissed off right now. Just need to vent.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that his attacks have crazy tracking as well.

You have to be aggresive as him

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I just beat
Gehrman. Something came out of the sky and fucked me up. I'm really lacking in the lore about what's going on here. This game is crazy.

Great. Now I'm in NG+ without having done the DLC :-/

How could you not guess this was the end? lol...

Just make a new character if you want to experience the DLC in NG I guess. I'm sure you make tons of DS characters too. ;)

jb1234

Still making my way through the DLC after a week long break or so. Orphan of Kos is seriously starting to piss me off. He's like the third boss in a row with INSANE reach, super aggressive attacks, and combos that are essentially one-hit kills.

I won't even pretend not to be pissed off right now. Just need to vent.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that his attacks have crazy tracking as well.

After about thirty deaths, I ended up summoning one dude to help me kill him. And it was still a close call.

Mandelbo

Pretty proud of myself - I beat Ludwig in one attempt on my current character as opposed to the dozens of tries it took me on my first run of the DLC. Definitely helped knowing his moves, but I think using the Holy Blade rather than a Saw Spear may have made it a bit more manageable too. A very fun fight, in retrospect!

Tarkus

How could you not guess this was the end? lol...

Just make a new character if you want to experience the DLC in NG I guess. I'm sure you make tons of DS characters too. ;)
I don't know...I had a feeling the end was near, but I thought Laurence or Ludwig would have been the final boss and I was on a roll. I also thought that I could initiate turn over with the doll or something.

I guess I could try to speedrun my NG+ to Amelia and start it. I fought Cleric Beast again last night and he seems to have gotten a ton more HP, so maybe a new character would be easier. Decisions

ColdPizza

Banned
I feel kind of bad...I rang my bell for assistance and the dude and I both did a 50/50 job on Martyr Logarius but he died with one hit left and I ended up living. Thanks guy...name was something like CherryPoppin_13

I don't know...I had a feeling the end was near, but I thought Laurence or Ludwig would have been the final boss and I was on a roll. I also thought that I could initiate turn over with the doll or something.

I guess I could try to speedrun my NG+ to Amelia and start it. I fought Cleric Beast again last night and he seems to have gotten a ton more HP, so maybe a new character would be easier. Decisions

Ng+ dlc hits like a truck, playing the dlc in normal feels like ng+

Well, turned my focus a bit from Defiled Amygdala frustration and did two of the secret endings. Whooping up on Gehrman felt good after getting so royally demolished for so long.

Going to do some farming now, buy the remaining weapons, and prep for the DLC. Moon Presence was initiated with
three umbilical cords consumed (I imagine explaining this concept to someone overhearing would be quite something)
, but I died purposefully so I could have the road to the true ending (and Platinum) just a footstep away as I delve into the DLC.

Any levelling and general tips for a Skill/Arcane build?

Level skill first, enough vitality, and arcane last. The Blades of Mercy and Burial Blade (if planning on NG+, since you get it so late) weapons are both great, if you are going hybrid weapons. Threaded cane and/or saw spear can be put to great use before you get more weapon options later.

Tarkus

Level skill first, enough vitality, and arcane last. The Blades of Mercy and Burial Blade (if planning on NG+, since you get it so late) weapons are both great, if you are going hybrid weapons. Threaded cane and/or saw spear can be put to great use before you get more weapon options later.
I really hate the Threaded Cane. I'm glad the Saw Spear is picked up right away. I'm not sure I see the appeal in the cane.

I really hate the Threaded Cane. I'm glad the Saw Spear is picked up right away. I'm not sure I see the appeal in the cane.

It starts weak, but improves greatly. The cane mode is fast enough to stunlock many enemies, while the whip mode has surprising range, and can hit in a wide area, especially if you swing it without locking on. It also has church/serrated bonuses, depending on which mode you're in.

Here's the fight with the darkbeast. Again, fuck this boss and fuck From Software for even thinking it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaWfMud5ewM

#neveragain

And here's the other defiled Amygdala with the same character:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1TMGw6U5U0

For those still stuck with it, just follow these steps:

For the first two phases, keep its head locked and stay at a safe distance in front of it. Bait its arms by approaching and retreating with quick steps. With a short-range weapon like the cleaver, you'll need the transformed mode to actually land some hits. Don't exceed 3 in the first phase, and don't go over 2 in the second phase when its hands glow have a small aoe around them. You'll also want to delay your sprinting in the second phase because charging at it as soon as the hands slam the floor will throw you back.

Ignore swiping animations like the one during 1:28 and wait for it to do something else. Same for the lasers. You can bait a second attack during the animation at 1:58 if you approach, retreat, and go back for the hits. It's not necessary, though.

In the animation starting around 0:44 of the video, you can get 3 free hits by sprinting towards it. It also does it in the second phase around 2:58 and even 3:21.

Phase 3 starts at 5:08. Self-explanatory. Stay at the crotch, at a safe distance from the stomping feet, and wait for it to jump. RUN towards the crotch (or where it was) and get your hits in or a charged attack. By the third phase using the strategy, you pretty much won already.
I definitely think doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING while it jumps is not always safe, regardless of where you're standing. Standing by its tail will only make Amygdala spin and track you, making it easier for you to get stomped or jumped on. Just do what I do, simple.

Tarkus

You are dead to me.
It's short as fuck in the primary mode. Sure it uses little stamina, but damages so little. The whip mode gets made useless by the many balconies and slim walkways. When I got the Saw Spear, I instantly progressed. Everybody is different, but this weapon sucks for me in the early game. I will try it later again when I have plenty of upgrade materials.

Jrmint

Question for you BB-Gaf. I'm currently level 70, about to fight Rom in normal mode.

My stats are currently: 30 vit, 30 end, 25 str, 25 skl.

I enjoy using Ludwigs HB and Saw Spear most.

What would be the best way to level up from here? I know people say the usefulness drops off after 30 in these skills. I haven't touched bloodtinge or arcane yet.

Any guidance would be great.

Question for you BB-Gaf. I'm currently level 70, about to fight Rom in normal mode.

My stats are currently: 30 vit, 30 end, 25 str, 25 skl.

I enjoy using Ludwigs HB and Saw Spear most.

What would be the best way to level up from here? I know people say the usefulness drops off after 30 in these skills. I haven't touched bloodtinge or arcane yet.

Any guidance would be great.

Well, considering you already put points into both Strength and Skill, I would continue to do so and continue using Ludwig's HB.

ezekial45

Banned
Can anyone tell me a good way to beat the two troll at the bottom of the well in the Fishing Hamlet? I want that weapon so bad, but they're totally kicking my ass.

But this boss is amazing <3

other than the camera I love everything about this boss. I love how it uses iframes to dodge the player's attacks perfectly sometimes.

It's the epitome of RNG. It's either all over the place or slowly walking for free hits. Hitting one of its bones is hard enough as is. As far as low level character goes, it's the hardest thing in the game. I think I might have beaten Paarl the first time at a very high level, and even then I still hated everything about it.

It's the weapon I first used and still one of my favorites. I had never used the cleaver and spear until recently with my last character. Maaaan, most boring weapon I've used. I hate the range too.

BTW if anyone's into scents, there's this candle I bought that I bought specifically for binging on bloodborne. I wanted something that smelled like a church and then found something by this candle maker called Trudon. The game feels empty without the candle on now that I'm out. :(

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ok, follow up question. When should I put more points into vit and/or end? Is 30 in both enough for normal mode?

VIT. 30 end is more than enough for the whole game (though I guess bringing it to 40 isn't necessarily bad either), but more VIT up to 50 is always good. Avoids getting OHKO'd by some attacks that way.

VIT. 30 end is more than enough for the whole game (though I guess bringing it to 40 isn't necessarily bad either), but more VIT up to 50 is always good. Avoids getting OHKO'd by some attacks that way.

I've got 70vit, 3/4/7% dmg reduction runes, and can still get OHKO'd by certain attacks, but I'm also on NG+4.

I really don't like how enemies do more damage every time you loop, it almost completely undoes all of your leveling because the points you put into your health/defenses is greatly outmatched by the buff in enemy attacks. It makes no sense that the damn crows' CAWCAWCAW attack can take as much of your health as a single swipe from Ludwig. :p

I would at least like the armor/clothing you pick up to get small stat boosts in every loop, something like +5 in all categories would be nice.

Huh? If it didn't, NG+ would be utterly useless.

Most games I've played that have NG+ don't increase the difficulty in any way and those aren't useless.

I'd be fine with bosses doing more and more dmg every loop, but regular-ass mooks shouldn't be taking 30% of my health with single hits. It makes me feel like the dozens of hours of leveling was utterly useless.

That's no bueno.

Teknoman

It starts weak, but improves greatly. The cane mode is fast enough to stunlock many enemies, while the whip mode has surprising range, and can hit in a wide area, especially if you swing it without locking on. It also has church/serrated bonuses, depending on which mode you're in.

Can you elaborate on those bonuses?

Beat Orphan of Kos on my second try today after going at him about ten times yesterday. Just needed a break I guess. I took another poster's advice and stayed super close to the boss, especially during the second phase. This seemed to screw with a lot of his attacks, as a lot of them went right past me. Not sure if I was just extremely lucky it not, but it felt good to finally kill him.

Where to next? I'm lost as to where to go.

Beat Orphan of Kos on my second try today after going at him about ten times yesterday. Just needed a break I guess. I took another poster's advice and stayed super close to the boss, especially during the second phase. This seemed to screw with a lot of his attacks, as a lot of them went right past me. Not sure if I was just extremely lucky it not, but it felt good to finally kill him.

Where to next? I'm lost as to where to go.

That was the last boss for the DLC. There is an optional boss you might have missed. He's just chilling in a room you've already been to, but you need an item to initiate the fight.

That was the last boss for the DLC. There is an optional boss you might have missed. He's just chilling in a room you've already been to, but you need an item to initiate the fight.

Oh, he was the last boss? For some reason it feels like there's still so much more I need to do in the DLC. I still need to fight that bell-ringing Hunter who drops pieces of an armor set. Time to find Laurence! Not looking forward to him, haha.

Can I have some advice.
Completely new to souls style games and have decided to start with bloodborne. I am currently at the blood starved beast and can get it down to about a quarter of its health, but I get destroyed every time.
I have been summoning Alfred just before I go in to the cathedral to fight, but he dies during the fight. But the item used for summoning is down to 4 now, so I would like to kill it before I have run out of them.
I use the hunter axe and blunderpuss,which are both +3. I stock up on vials, bullets and antidotes before I go in to fight.

I am level 26 with
17 vitality,
15 endurance,
16 strength,
11 skill,
9 blood tinge,
8 arcane.

Apart from "git good" is there anything I can do to give myself more of an advantage. Should my stats be higher?

grmlin

Can I have some advice.
Completely new to souls style games and have decided to start with bloodborne. I am currently at the blood starved beast and can get it down to about a quarter of its health, but I get destroyed every time.
I have been summoning Alfred just before I go in to the cathedral to fight, but he dies during the fight. But the item used for summoning is down to 4 now, so I would like to kill it before I have run out of them.
I use the hunter axe and blunderpuss,which are both +3. I stock up on vials, bullets and antidotes before I go in to fight.

I am level 26 with
17 vitality,
15 endurance,
16 strength,
11 skill,
9 blood tinge,
8 arcane.

Apart from "git good" is there anything I can do to give myself more of an advantage. Should my stats be higher?

If a boss manages to one shot you leveling is a good idea. :)

Anyway, I got better when I stopped summoning npc's. Every time I encountered a new boss I did not use any special items or anything and tried to learn first. Everything else was a waste of resources. Especially if you, like I was too, are new to souls games.

For the blood starved beast: learn to parry his attacks. When I first encountered this boss I thought I would never make it, now I use one or two blood vials because of poison max, he is pretty easy now. oh, and the beast HATES fire.

And yes, "git good" ;)

If a boss manages to one shot you leveling is a good idea. :)

Anyway, I got better when I stopped summoning npc's. Every time I encountered a new boss I did not use any special items or anything and tried to learn first. Everything else was a waste of resources. Especially if you, like I was too, are new to souls games.

For the blood starved beast: learn to parry his attacks. When I first encountered this boss I thought I would never make it, now I use one or two blood vials because of poison max, he is pretty easy now. oh, and the beast HATES fire.

And yes, "git good" ;)

Never really understood the need for the phrase "git good" until I played this game. It makes so much sense now.
I have been looking on YouTube for guidance, and one strategy to defeat it is using pungent blood and distracting it. I will give it a try.
I know what you mean about summoning, I felt I was relying too much on Alfred.

grmlin

Never really understood the need for the phrase "git good" until I played this game. It makes so much sense now.
I have been looking on YouTube for guidance, and one strategy to defeat it is using pungent blood and distracting it. I will give it a try.
I know what you mean about summoning, I felt I was relying too much on Alfred.

Yeah, distracting the beast with pungent blood cocktails works, too, I think. But I never gave it a try.

I thought the same about git good, but it's true and the only way to beat the game :)

KLoWn

How does co-op work level wise and such? If I'm level 100 can I still help someone who is level 30? And does it matter if I'm on NG+ while the people I help are on NG?

Tarkus

I cheesed the BSB on NG+ by R2 charged attacks followed by a visceral and using Alfred as a distraction. Then I gave up on NG+ after Amelia. The HP increases are ridiculous. Some of the bosses must have 40000. Too tedious for me.

201604091625259sj38.png

image-bloodborne-gestm8kkq.gif

Steez

Anybody up for some DLC coop? I'm building a Kos Parasite character for PvP and just want to rush through to the orphan.

ColdPizza

Banned
How does co-op work level wise and such? If I'm level 100 can I still help someone who is level 30? And does it matter if I'm on NG+ while the people I help are on NG?

No, they have an algorithm to get people who are relatively close to your level

DSmalls84

Just started a new game and decided to go with a strength build this time. What kind of stat allocation works best for Ludwig's sword? I'm thinking of using that and the Kirkhammer, but my first play through was all skill and bloodtinge. Any tips or weapon recommendations appreciated.

Jrmint

Just started a new game and decided to go with a strength build this time. What kind of stat allocation works best for Ludwig's sword? I'm thinking of using that and the Kirkhammer, but my first play through was all skill and bloodtinge. Any tips or weapon recommendations appreciated.
Ludwigs scales equally with str and skl. So I'd recommend leveling both up to at least 25.

Jrmint

What weapons work as a good compliment to Ludwig's?
I pair the Saw Spear with it bc it also scales almost equally, with more points giving towards skill. Saw Cleaver favors strength slightly more.
I like having one of the Saw weapons as a back up because they are good versus beast enemies (20% extra damage).

ColdPizza

Banned
Micolash's a call beyond is one shorting me on NG+. What's the best way to avoid it. Move back or side? I tried rolling towards and it owned me.

Also, when is the best place to make a PlayStation + backup for the multiple endings?

Top Bottom