• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

DSmalls84

Wow lol I always thought the "spin to win" joke was exaggerated but man the Hunter's Axe is fantastic. Totally Trivialized Father G.

I cheesed the BSB on NG+ by R2 charged attacks followed by a visceral and using Alfred as a distraction. Then I gave up on NG+ after Amelia. The HP increases are ridiculous. Some of the bosses must have 40000. Too tedious for me.

Huh. I had zero issues through NG+, I blasted through it much quicker than NG. Are you doing chalices for good damage gems? What are your stats?

Tarkus

Huh. I had zero issues through NG+, I blasted through it much quicker than NG. Are you doing chalices for good damage gems? What are your stats?
Baseline
Baseline

My AR with the Holy Blade was just over 700. No I didn't do Chalices much other than the pre-made ones.

I'm not as good at Bloodborne as I am with Souls. I'm mostly a PvP player.

ColdPizza

Banned
lol, well, I fucked up the online save and overwrote it with something from a month ago so I can't get the last ending trophy. Done with Bloodborne. Sick to my stomach. Lol

So I've been playing the game for 3 hours.

I'm still in the first area of the game (Downtown) and I get killed by the big ennemies or mobs because of a stupide mistake / crowd mismanagement.

I think I've been killed 20ish times.

Yet I still come back for more.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What weapons work as a good compliment to Ludwig's?
None. Seriously, that thing is just too strong lol.

My quality build/Ludwig user equipped and upgraded the Stake Driver as back up (since it's quality too) but I almost never used it.

Same. NG+ was a complete breeze to be honest. Took this character to NG+3 no problem, though the DLC was really, really brutal.

Molotovs. Kill it with fire.
Ehh not really. It's weak to bolt and thrust attacks.

DSmalls84

So far I'm really liking Ludwig's, Hunter's Axe and Kirkhammer. It felt like it took me a while to get to the awesome weapons with my skill build, but most of the strength weapons seem to be early in the game.

Baseline
Baseline

My AR with the Holy Blade was just over 700. No I didn't do Chalices much other than the pre-made ones.

I'm not as good at Bloodborne as I am with Souls. I'm mostly a PvP player.

That's virtually identical to my main character who's at the end of NG+ (Holy Blade with 700ish attack too) and I was killing most everything with no major issues. The only bosses I remember having more trouble with in NG+ compared to NG were Witches of Hemwick and Micolash, perhaps because those along with Ebrietas were precisely the bosses I killed on my first first try on NG. Is there any boss giving you particular trouble?

DryvBy

I don't think I have the patience for any more of these Chalice dungeons. Would it be possible to just jump in someone's game that already is at the Yharnam boss fight and fight them there? It's the last trophy I need to get this platinum.

DryvBy

Welp, I might have to break form this then and come back when I'm not burned out. I'm level 150 and either I'm bored of these dungeons or I'm under leveled for the Lower Pthumerian.

How hard is Yharnam also? I was wanting to break my controller in half fighting the Orphan of Kos.

Can I not play this game without the latest patch? Its stuck on the Bloodborne screen.

WTF?! Its saying that the save data is for an updated Bloodborne. Wtf.

Tarkus

So...since i went to the Forbidden Woods before talking to Eileen at the Cathedral Ward, I've screwed myself with her quest. Fuckkkkkkkkk

Edit: also I've never gotten the asshole NPC next to Arianna to come to the Chapel. Must be going in the wrong sequence.

jonjonaug

Welp, I might have to break form this then and come back when I'm not burned out. I'm level 150 and either I'm bored of these dungeons or I'm under leveled for the Lower Pthumerian.

How hard is Yharnam also? I was wanting to break my controller in half fighting the Orphan of Kos.

She's a much easier boss than anything in the last couple of dungeons leading up to her, kind of an anti-climax after stuff like the defiled Watchdog and headless Bloodletting Beast.

Keep in mind that all of the "key" chalice dungeons are static, and you're invincible while using the lever that opens the boss door. If you just want to clear the last couple dungeons quickly you can figure out the path from the internet and just make a suicide run for the switches.

At level 150 you should be fine clearing any level 3 chalice dungeon, unless you made a typo there and meant "Great Pthumeru". If you feel like you're not doing enough damage and can't milk out any more from leveling, I would recommend farming the two Winter Lantern (big brain heads that cause frenzy) enemies near the Orphan of Kos fight. They drop gems with really high attack plus values.

So...since i went to the Forbidden Woods before talking to Eileen at the Cathedral Ward, I've screwed myself with her quest. Fuckkkkkkkkk

Edit: also I've never gotten the asshole NPC next to Arianna to come to the Chapel. Must be going in the wrong sequence.

You should still be good if all you've done is gone in there, the cutoff for that is beating the boss of that area. Unless she's gone, in which case welp.

As for your edit:
Talk to Arianna until she moves to the chapel. After that, talk to the paranoid man until you have the option to tell him about a safe place. Tell him to go to the clinic, and he'll go to the chapel instead (he goes to the clinic if you tell him to go to the chapel).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeesh, not you are not. You are arguably even overlevelled for depths 4 and 5 dungeons, and certainly not underlevelled for depth 3 (edit: unless, as the poster above me said, it's a typo? Lower Pthumeru is depth 3 and not that bad unless you go there really early). If you're struggling in depth 3 at level 150 I'm guessing your build is a mess? Where are you stuck exactly?

Yharnam? You mean the
Yharnam Queen
? She is very easy compared to some of the bosses before her, to be honest. And brain-dead compared to someone like the Orphan who is in the top-tier difficulty.

Here's how I would probably rank the bosses in terms of difficulty myself*, from S being hardest to E being easiest:

Tier S
- Orphan of Kos
- Laurence
- Ludwig
- Amygdala (Defiled chalice version)
- Watch Dog (Defiled chalice version)
- Abhorrent Beast
- Bloodletting Beast (Depth 5 chalice/Headless version)

Tier A
- Loran Darkbeast **
- Lady Maria
- Martyr Logarius
- Ebrietas (Chalice version)
- Undead Giant (Depth 3 chalice version)
- Pthumerian Descendant (Depth 5 chalice version)
- Keeper of the Old Lords (Depth 5 chalice version)

Tier B
-
Gehrman
- Ebrietas (regular version)
- Rom (chalice version)
- Bloodletting Beast (Depth 3 chalice version)
- Blood-Starved Beast (Depth 4 chalice version)

Tier C
- Father Gascoigne
- Vicar Amelia
- Blood-Starved Beast
- Darkbeast Paarl
- Yharnam Queen
- Rom (regular version)
- Living Failures

Tier D
- The Shadows of Yharnam
- Cleric Beast
- Amygdala (regular version)
- Moon Presence
- Pthumerian Elder
- Beast-Possessed Soul
- Micolash (only here because of a potential OHKO attack, he'd otherwise be in the lowest tier :p)

Tier E
- Celestial Emissary
- The Witch of Hemwick
- The One Reborn
- Mergo's Wet Nurse
- Merciless Watchers
- Watch Dog of the Old Lords (depth 1 version)
- Forgotten Madman

Tier "why is this even a boss":
- Loran Silverbeast
- Maneater Boar
- Brainsucker

Mentioning some chalice versions whenever relevant, sometimes there's a huge discrepancy between versions (Rom, Watch Dog, Amygdala), sometimes minor but still there (Bloodletting Beast), sometimes irrelevant (Merciless Watchers are always pretty easy for instance).

* Speaking generally, 'cause a lot of the time it depends on your build. For instance I struggled against Lady Maria the first time with my str build, using a kirkhammer (transformed, which was a mistake -- got her far more easily once I used the non-transformed one, and on a dex build I wreck her), and defeated the Orphan and Laurence on my second try, but overall I consider them harder than Lady Maria.
Same with Father G; he's the non-optional story boss that killed me the most in my first playthrough, but now that I am better at parrying and know about the tiny music box (I missed it first time) I consider him a lower-tier difficulty.

** Been a while since I bothered clearing the Lower Loran dungeon though, but I remember him being pretty hard.

I'm sure plenty of people would strongly disagree with my tiers though. :D Especially where I put regular versions of Rom and Blood-Starved Beast, and the Shadows of Yharnam, which were never an issue for me.

Finally beat that fucker Laurence! At the end, I had the least amount of health possible and no Blood Vials, so it was close. I'm not proud of how safe I played the third phase of the fight, but a win is a win, I guess. I literally ran around the arena trying to bait his lava spit attack, which I would use to get ONE hit in. I couldn't risk being stunlocked by one of his combos.

Man, that was exhilarating. Still, fuck him.not a very fair fight at all, and suffered from the same problems as all the other DLC bosses.

The game finally clicked with me, it's so much fun yet I am little creeped out by Yharnam's setting.

Stuning a big ennemy with the pistol then a critical hit = best feeling ever.
Unlocking a shortcut and getting back to hunter's realm after 1 hour of tense exploration = 2nd best feeling ever

Jinjo

Started replaying this a while back and I loved it so much more than first time through. Bought the DLC and that was excellent too. Only Laurence left to do. Went strength/arcane which was a lot of fun.

In fact, I loved replaying it so much that I rolled a new character for a skill/bloodtinge build.

The Dark Souls 3 hype is real. Can't wait for that too.

DryvBy

She's a much easier boss than anything in the last couple of dungeons leading up to her, kind of an anti-climax after stuff like the defiled Watchdog and headless Bloodletting Beast.

Keep in mind that all of the "key" chalice dungeons are static, and you're invincible while using the lever that opens the boss door. If you just want to clear the last couple dungeons quickly you can figure out the path from the internet and just make a suicide run for the switches.

At level 150 you should be fine clearing any level 3 chalice dungeon, unless you made a typo there and meant "Great Pthumeru". If you feel like you're not doing enough damage and can't milk out any more from leveling, I would recommend farming the two Winter Lantern (big brain heads that cause frenzy) enemies near the Orphan of Kos fight. They drop gems with really high attack plus values.

You should still be good if all you've done is gone in there, the cutoff for that is beating the boss of that area. Unless she's gone, in which case welp.

As for your edit:
Talk to Arianna until she moves to the chapel. After that, talk to the paranoid man until you have the option to tell him about a safe place. Tell him to go to the clinic, and he'll go to the chapel instead (he goes to the clinic if you tell him to go to the chapel).

I'm 150. I might have been playing wrong when this first came out (I put it down for no real reason after a hundred+ hours). Everything is in Strength and Vitality. When I started playing again last week, I noticed Skill was doing a lot more for my attack. And I never invested in Bloodtinge or Arcane. Whoops!

What kind of gems should I get? I've seen threads about SKL over raw damage but I dunno what I really should be shooting for.

ColdPizza

Banned
I'm such a sucker. I really enjoy this game and want platinum so even tho I overwrote my lol 130+ dude I started from scratch. F'd up Cleric Beast and Gasciogne so badly. I fear I'll be going thru the game underleveled at some point.

I went with the saw blade again because I love the speed and beast bonus, but I'm willing to try a different 2nd weapon (other than Ludwig's Holy Blade). Sell me on a different weapon!

KLoWn

Tier S
- Orphan of Kos

Tier A
- Lady Maria
I was under the impression that these two were seen as somewhat easy bosses? (Going by what I've read on other forums etc)
I've only beaten them on NG+ though, so I might be talking out of my ass. And I know personal boss difficulty rankings vary wildely in this game.

*Edit*
Nvm. I actually read your whole post now instead of just the rankings.

DryvBy

I was under the impression that these two were seen as somewhat easy bosses? (Going by what I've read on other forums etc)
I've only beaten them on NG+ though, so I might be talking out of my ass. And I know personal boss difficulty rankings vary wildely in this game.

*Edit*
Nvm. I actually read your whole post now instead of just the rankings.

Haha. OoK was the worst boss I've ever fought in my life. Took an entire day!

Tarkus

You guys said wait to upgrade Arcane on my ARC/SKL build. I'm at 25 SKL and 26 VIT. Should I do it now? Also, do I have to use an Arcane gem to convert the damage type? I'm not clear on how that works.

Nerokis

Haha. OoK was the worst boss I've ever fought in my life. Took an entire day!

Yeah, OoK required a night's rest for me. I never found Maria all that difficult, though. I could see her being more Tier B than Tier A; at the least, I think it's odd seeing Ebrietas ranked below her, based on my personal experience.

You guys said wait to upgrade Arcane on my ARC/SKL build. I'm at 25 SKL and 26 VIT. Should I do it now? Also, do I have to use an Arcane gem to convert the damage type? I'm not clear on how that works.

If you are going hybrid skill/arcane, you won't want to use gems to convert physical damage to pure arcane, but use the hybrid weapons (Blade of Mercy ASAP, Burial Blade very late game, DLC, or NG+). Figure out what you want to do with arcane, so you know how far you want to take it. 18 is a nice number if you are just going to use a few tools (augur, shell) and you want a little boost to the arcane damage on the hybrid weapons. If you want to use all the tool available, then you can take arcane to 40-70 (tool damage continues to increase up to 99, but it'll be slower going after 50 and 70 points). Skill is still going to be your primary damage stat with those hybrid weapons, so points won't be a waste at all until 50 skill.

If it was me, I'd do the Crow quest, push the story forward to beat Rom, finish the Crow quest and pick up the BoM (save your chunks!), and use that to finish out the story. I'd then pick up the Burial Blade (making sure not to end the game on the true end boss), and then have both weapons available to do the DLC. The weapons work very well together. You could also kill the person that has the BoM early, but that's up to you.

Tarkus

If you are going hybrid skill/arcane, you won't want to use gems to convert physical damage to pure arcane, but use the hybrid weapons (Blade of Mercy ASAP, Burial Blade very late game, DLC, or NG+). Figure out what you want to do with arcane, so you know how far you want to take it. 18 is a nice number if you are just going to use a few tools (augur, shell) and you want a little boost to the arcane damage on the hybrid weapons. If you want to use all the tool available, then you can take arcane to 40-70 (tool damage continues to increase up to 99, but it'll be slower going after 50 and 70 points). Skill is still going to be your primary damage stat with those hybrid weapons, so points won't be a waste at all until 50 skill.

If it was me, I'd do the Crow quest, push the story forward to beat Rom, finish the Crow quest and pick up the BoM (save your chunks!), and use that to finish out the story. I'd then pick up the Burial Blade (making sure not to end the game on the true end boss), and then have both weapons available to do the DLC. The weapons work very well together. You could also kill the person that has the BoM early, but that's up to you.
Thanks!

I might have screwed up Eileen's quest though. I spoke with her at both places and exhausted the dialog. However, I went to the Forbidden Woods before talking with her at Cathedral Ward. She's now gone and Henryk never showed up. I'll probably have to get a Blade of Mercy from a Chalice Dungeon.

jonjonaug

Thanks!

I might have screwed up Eileen's quest though. I spoke with her at both places and exhausted the dialog. However, I went to the Forbidden Woods before talking with her at Cathedral Ward. She's now gone and Henryk never showed up. I'll probably have to get a Blade of Mercy from a Chalice Dungeon.

You don't need to worry about that:
If you don't complete her quest she shows up as an enemy in the Cathedral (where you fought Amelia) later on in the game instead of the stupid powerful NPC you'd fight there if you completed the quest properly. If you kill her you get her badge (lets you buy her weapon and armor set), which you would get anyway for completing her sidequest. The only thing you don't get is her covenant rune.

I'm not sure if you can even find a weapon in a chalice dungeon until you've found its regular version in the main game anyway.

Faenix1

On my first playthrough, currently farming dogs in Hemlock(?) since I only need one more Twins for +6 on my Hunter Axe (and the 18k souls per run doesn't hurt either lol), but I've done everything at this point but Great Cathedral boss, Forbidden Woods, and Unseen Village.

Before I proceed I have a few questions:
Safe Place/Location Questions:
-I know that the Nun is in the Unseen Village, and I also know she'll eventually kill Arianna. If I don't ever take blood from either will Arianna be okay? Nothing I've read online has been 100% on what causes the Nun to go crazy and off my whore.

-Is it ideal to do the village now, or should I do the Great Cathedral boss and come back to this later?

-I'm a Hunter Axe/Ludwig user - Hunter Axe is my primary, I probably spam the spin too much - how should my stat distribution be? Kinda worried I'm screwing up.

Currently my stats are: Vit: 32, End: 20, Str: 25, Skl: 20
Current plan is to get Vit to 40, Skl to 25, then dump everything after into Str. Not even sure if getting End up was worth it.

I really hate missable stuff it always makes me nervous.

jonjonaug

On my first playthrough, currently farming dogs in Hemlock(?) since I only need one more Twins for +6 on my Hunter Axe (and the 18k souls per run doesn't hurt either lol), but I've done everything at this point but Great Cathedral boss, Forbidden Woods, and Unseen Village. (Left my general location so you'll have an idea what the questions are about)

-I know that the Nun is in the Unseen Village, and I also know she'll eventually kill Arianna. If I don't ever take blood from either will Arianna be okay? Nothing I've read online has been 100% on what causes the Nun to go crazy and off my whore.

-Is it ideal to do the village now, or should I do the Great Cathedral boss and come back to this later?

-I'm a Hunter Axe/Ludwig user - Hunter Axe is my primary, I probably spam the spin too much - how should my stat distribution be? Kinda worried I'm screwing up.

Current plan is to get Vit to 40, Skl to 25, then dump everything after into Str. Not even sure if getting End up was worth it.

There's about one billion twin shard items lying around in the Forbidden Woods, so you don't really need to worry about farming those.

As for the rest...

Arianna will die if you take blood from her and the nun sees it three or more times. It doesn't matter when you do the Unseen Village bits from the early game as long as you finish up everything you want there before killing Rom. The Axe scales more with strength, but your Skill rating also ups your visceral attack so it's a bit better than ranking up Strength if you're going to main Ludwig. If you want to main the Axe though then yeah that's a good stat distribution.

DSmalls84

Is the Cannon worth upgrading for a strength build? I hardly ever use my pistol but is the damage high enough you can use it to finish off a boss?

Faenix1

There's about one billion twin shard items lying around in the Forbidden Woods, so you don't really need to worry about farming those.

As for the rest...

Arianna will die if you take blood from her and the nun sees it three or more times. It doesn't matter when you do the Unseen Village bits from the early game as long as you finish up everything you want there before killing Rom. The Axe scales more with strength, but your Skill rating also ups your visceral attack so it's a bit better than ranking up Strength if you're going to main Ludwig. If you want to main the Axe though then yeah that's a good stat distribution.

Alright so I should probably take a stab at Unseen Village first. Mostly avoiding that place cause of the Nun. I want to save her but I wasn't sure about the killing thing.

Thx

Nerokis

On my first playthrough, currently farming dogs in Hemlock(?) since I only need one more Twins for +6 on my Hunter Axe (and the 18k souls per run doesn't hurt either lol), but I've done everything at this point but Great Cathedral boss, Forbidden Woods, and Unseen Village. (Left my general location so you'll have an idea what the questions are about)

I don't want to be too specific, but using the Nun's blood as opposed to Arianna's will ensure that the latter is okay.

And the Unseen Village unlocks after the Blood-starved Beast; there's no particular reason to kill the Grand Cathedral boss first, but you can without losing anything.

Your stat distribution is solid. Endurance is a great stat - I like upping it to 30 or so, but some people stop at 20-25. You have more than enough Vit for the rest of the game. Both the axe and Ludwig's benefit a lot from going 25/25 in STR and SKL, so that is looking good, too.

Edit: I'm so slow.

Top Bottom