• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i didn't find logarius that difficult in the end. he only has a few attacks and they're all pretty well telegraphed and easy to avoid.

JJShadow

- You can pretty much choose the attire based on what looks the best for you. The higher bolt/fire/arcane/poison resistance helps against some bosses though. My personal favorites are the Crowfeather, Bone Ash, Hunter (Central Yharnam sewers), and Harrowed (DLC) sets, and I don't tend to use sets that have low physical damage stats.

- You can also stick with the weapon you like to use the most. Both the axe and Ludwig are good, and deal a plenty of damage. Ludwig's damage is a bit higher at maximum level than the axe's. I stuck with the Cane for the most of the game, including DLC. Only used Tonitrus against Rom, Ludwig against Ebrietas, and the Moonlight sword against the last boss of DLC.

- You don't need to spend Blood Echoes on Blood Tinge with that build. To my recollection, Arcane affects Ludwig, but you can do without as well.
EDIT: You can also ignore Skill stat, if you stick with the axe.

Thank you for the advices mate! I'm getting used to Ludwig and I'm really loving it in its one-handed form, those fast combos are pretty useful against non-giant enemies

Another question that comes into my mind: what's the difference between blunt damage and thrust damage in the case of the Hunter Axe?

which chalice dungeon has some good fire/lightning blood gems?

I have the glyphs for the best gems of that kind! The best possible setup for a fire/electric weapon that I know involves weapons with a radial, triangle, and waning slots. In most cases, they're the lost kind. You'll need:

1. Cursed radial cold abyssal gem. It's found at kkvk8gsj where you'll fight the pthumerian elder. He's one of the harder bosses in the game, but spamming something like the black eye can do the job.

2. Cursed triangle bolt/fire (19) gem. You'll need to farm the merciless watchers a bit to score this one. Found at 5pwujscd in the first layer.

3. For bolt: 6q77zr9h this is the cursed waning bolt abyssal gem dropped by an abhorrent beast of the third layer in this dungeon, so bring those poison knives.

For fire: 758v8txa this is the cursed waning fire abyssal gem dropped by a watchdog in the third layer.

This is one of the best if not THE BEST setups for a magic weapon. It may take some time to farm, so backup your saves on those third layer bosses. They're also tough bosses, especially if all your runes are set to eye. Totally worth it, though.

Onemic

Did you deal with Cainhurst Castle yet?

ummm, Im not sure. Was it an optional area? Im in NG+ right now and just made it to the cathedral ward.

I have the glyphs for the best gems of that kind! The best possible setup for a fire/electric weapon that I know involves weapons with a radial, triangle, and waning slots. In most cases, they're the lost kind. You'll need:

1. Cursed radial cold abyssal gem. It's found at kkvk8gsj where you'll fight the pthumerian elder. He's one of the harder bosses in the game, but spamming something like the black eye can do the job.

2. Cursed triangle bolt/fire (19) gem. You'll need to farm the merciless watchers a bit to score this one. Found at 5pwujscd in the first layer.

3. For bolt: 6q77zr9h this is the cursed waning bolt abyssal gem dropped by an abhorrent beast of the third layer in this dungeon, so bring those poison knives.

For fire: 758v8txa this is the cursed waning fire abyssal gem dropped by a watchdog in the third layer.

This is one of the best if not THE BEST setups for a magic weapon. It may take some time to farm, so backup your saves on those third layer bosses. They're also tough bosses, especially if all your runes are set to eye. Totally worth it, though.

Thanks!

ummm, Im not sure. Was it an optional area? Im in NG+ right now and just made it to the cathedral ward.
Yes Cainhurst is technically optional, but it's one of the best levels in the game. If you've fought an old vampire dude before then it should already be in your shop. Granted you'd have to join the vileblood covenant.

These are it

Tyn5LhW.jpg

RyawxfP.jpg

I settled for negative effects like attack vs. beasts down simply because fire weapons go better against beasts and bolt against kin. In the case of something like the watchdog, I wish I didn't have that nerf in.

Can someone explain a basic part of Bloodborne's lore to me? What exactly, is The Hunt? When I first started the game, I assumed it was like an annual even in which people killed monsters. The NPCs hiding in their homes seemed to support this, and they called it the night of the Hunt.

But after playing more, it seems as though Yharnam has been corrupted for years. Is the Hunt some ever-present thing that's always happening? Where are all these Hunters coming from?

Experien

Can someone explain a basic part of Bloodborne's lore to me? What exactly, is The Hunt? When I first started the game, I assumed it was like an annual even in which people killed monsters. The NPCs hiding in their homes seemed to support this, and they called it the night of the Hunt.

But after playing more, it seems as though Yharnam has been corrupted for years. Is the Hunt some ever-present thing that's always happening? Where are all these Hunters coming from?

The hunt is only the surface of the crust. A way to lure people in for something for more greater/sinister.

Finished Bloodborne and the DLC! Freaking amazing game and I loved every second of it. I had never played a Souls game before so I was hesitant to pick this up, but I'm glad I did, as it's now my favorite game on the PS4.

Don't think I'll bother with the Chalice Dungeons, though. Some of the DLC bosses were hard enough. I don't think I have it in me to face even HARDER bosses.

Finished Bloodborne and the DLC! Freaking amazing game and I loved every second of it. I had never played a Souls game before so I was hesitant to pick this up, but I'm glad I did, as it's now my favorite game on the PS4.

Don't think I'll bother with the Chalice Dungeons, though. Some of the DLC bosses were hard enough. I don't think I have it in me to face even HARDER bosses.

If you beat the DLC bosses, I would imagine you would be fine with the chalice dungeon bosses. Of course there are other reasons to not want to do them. They just aren't very good until you get to depth 5 root dungeons, but that would take forever.

Experien

Finally beat the First Vicar and Maria. Maria was a lot easier. Feels good to make progress after being stuck for so long. But the
Giant Fishmen
are just terrible. Especially
the one with the anchor
, WHAT ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO DO?!

Onemic

I like the potential of chalice dungeons, so I really hope FROM doesnt abandon it if they make a sequel/spiritual sucessor to BB. Make the whole thing procedural and slightly less convoluted and it would be perfect.

grmlin

Maria is tough, any tips? I'm use Ludwigs hoody blade.

I used the Reiterpallasch and it staggered her, like most human enemies. You can parry her pretty easy, too. You'll have to learn delays though.
I killed her in my second try, so not much else I can say about her. I loved this fight!

Finally beat the First Vicar and Maria. Maria was a lot easier. Feels good to make progress after being stuck for so long. But the
Giant Fishmen
are just terrible. Especially
the one with the anchor
, WHAT ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO DO?!

You can parry them, but I had a hard time getting the timing right. The first one can be easily backstabbed after you unlocked the first shortcut with the ladder on the roof. The other one on top of the hill can be ignored. Run into the building with the lamp, expect to die trying ;)
The two fucks in the well though... if you want the Rakuyo you'll have to fight them You can use the Shaman Bone Knife when the second one drops from the ceiling.

grmlin

I have a question, too. Anyone used Simon's Bowblade? Is it worth pushing it to +10? I currently level up bloodtinge (25 atm) and like the idea of a long range Boss weapon.

Ferr986

I have a question, too. Anyone used Simon's Bowblade? Is it worth pushing it to +10? I currently level up bloodtinge (25 atm) and like the idea of a long range Boss weapon.

I use it as a secondary weapon with my BT build. The charged attack deals decent damage (it made Evelyn shots with Bone ash useless).

I don't use it as a primary weapon because the Chikage is still faster killing enemies, but it's a good sub-weapon for a BT build when you don't want to be on enemies reach. And it's not like a BT build have much else weapons to get...

grmlin

I use it as a secondary weapon with my BT build. The charged attack deals decent damage (it made Evelyn shots with Bone ash useless).

I don't use it as a primary weapon because the Chikage is still faster killing enemies, but it's a good sub-weapon for a BT build when you don't want to be on enemies reach. And it's not like a BT build have much else weapons to get...

Thanks!

The blade itself isn't appealing at all. The only reason would be the charged range attack.

It's a skill build, so maybe I'll skip upgrading Evelyn and use this instead.

Sh0k

I want to go back to Bloodborne, platinumed the game and stopped playing the game. I know that I'm LTTP but what's the best way to play the DLC, start a new character + game or continue with my old character, don't remember exactly my characters insight, but I think is kind off high.

Soulhouf

I want to go back to Bloodborne, platinumed the game and stopped playing the game. I know that I'm LTTP but what's the best way to play the DLC, start a new character + game or continue with my old character, don't remember exactly my characters insight, but I think is kind off high.

It will be faster to use your old character to get to the DLC but if you want to refresh your memory, better restart a new game.

Faenix1

Currently at V: 35, S: 25, STR: 35, SKL: 25 - others are defaults. Should I be getting my Arcane up to use hunter tools? After I get my Hunter Axe and Ludwig to +9 what should I be focusing on, upgrade-wise? I used to run different element swords in Dark Souls but that doesnt seem as easy here so I opted for different movesets.

Also fuck the Nightmare Frontier. I seriously hate this place.

ColdPizza

Banned
Currently at V: 35, S: 25, STR: 35, SKL: 25 - others are defaults. Should I be getting my Arcane up to use hunter tools? After I get my Hunter Axe and Ludwig to +9 what should I be focusing on, upgrade-wise? I used to run different element swords in Dark Souls but that doesnt seem as easy here so I opted for different movesets.

It's not too bad so long as you have antidotes and Gascoigne's hunter set...aside from those brain fuckers, you can kill most enemies with a gun stagger and just avoid the thingies in the swamp.

Also, unlock all of the shortcuts and you're golden.

grmlin

Arcane and spells in particular use way too many bullets I think.
Fire damage wrecks beasts and beastly bosses in early game like nothing else, but later it's way less effective

I stopped playing my arcane char because of it and have much more fun with my skill build now.

Arcane and spells in particular use way too many bullets I think.
Fire damage wrecks beasts and beastly bosses in early game like nothing else, but later it's way less effective

I stopped playing my arcane char because of it and have much more fun with my skill build now.

Later on Tonitrus wrecks the 2nd half of the game because everything is weak against lightning.

Being able to use pretty much whatever weapon you want and having most of your damage channeled through a single stat is the biggest draw to Arcane, IMO. That and early game is really fun with Molotovs and Flamesprayer.

grmlin

I don't know. I like the Tonitrus but the range is bad and some bosses can't be hit in their weak spots later in the game with it.

Maybe it's not my style.

Btw. I really like the church pick. It's great for PVE.

ColdPizza

Banned
Man, nothing is worse when you're trying to retrieve some blood echoes you lost in Nightmare of Mensis when the bell rings and some human adversary comes and jacks you up before you can retrieve them...lol

I beat the game last night and I'm considering an Arcane build, since it seems to have a ton of cool items. When people start new builds, do they typically create brand new characters? I would assume so, since level upgrades continue to cost more and more in NG+.

Speaking of NG+, just how much harder is it than new game? I really want to mess around with different weapons with my original character, but I don't want to hit a roadblock if bosses are extremely difficult.

I beat the game last night and I'm considering an Arcane build, since it seems to have a ton of cool items. When people start new builds, do they typically create brand new characters? I would assume so, since level upgrades continue to cost more and more in NG+.

Speaking of NG+, just how much harder is it than new game? I really want to mess around with different weapons with my original character, but I don't want to hit a roadblock if bosses are extremely difficult.

It's up to you if you want to make a new guy, or level up in NG+/chalice dungeons. I wouldn't say the cost increasing means much, when everything gives so many echos. Clearing the normal enemies in a depth 5 (layer 3) dungeon with the moon runes equipped gives you around 300,000 echos. You can gain 60,000+ in a few minutes late game in NG, and NG+ is going to boost how many you get from everything.

I didn't find NG+ harder than NG, with a solid build, +10 weapons, and OK/good gems. The bosses take longer to kill, due to the increase in health, but you can still waste everything.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I know you beat her already but... use your weapon un-transformed for her. Quick fast weapons are the trick.

WHAT ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO DO?!
Cry. Cry a lot. :(

It's a skill build, so maybe I'll skip upgrading Evelyn and use this instead.
If it's a skill build, you should use it because its blade part does scale with skill so it won't be useless. But yeah the bow form shines under high bloodtinge, the charge attack is a really nice support range weapon, and some bosses, though not all, can be kited with the bow for most of the fight (as long as you can create blood bullets).
Evelyn is overrated, my BT build uses the Repeating Pistol. With bone marrow ash it's even better than the bowblade, though without it, the bowblade is stronger.

grmlin

I know you beat her already but... use your weapon un-transformed for her. Quick fast weapons are the trick.

Cry. Cry a lot. :(

If it's a skill build, you should use it because its blade part does scale with skill so it won't be useless. But yeah the bow form shines under high bloodtinge, the charge attack is a really nice support range weapon, and some bosses, though not all, can be kited with the bow for most of the fight (as long as you can create blood bullets).
Evelyn is overrated, my BT build uses the Repeating Pistol. With bone marrow ash it's even better than the bowblade, though without it, the bowblade is stronger.

I'm in NG+ and focus on leveling BT now. It will take some time to get it to 50, but it's at 25 already.

Onemic

I'd say Tonitrus is good for the mid game. By late game, the low scaling really hurts its effectiveness overall. Not to mention it's extremely low durability.

I wish the Hunter's Dream had a headstone for all the boss battles in the game. It would be fun to fight some of my favorite bosses again without having to play through the entire game. It could also be used as practice to help learn attack patterns.

Jinjo

There's no real trick to this fight in my experience. Learn her dodge patterns and try and riposte whenever you can. Untransformed R1 on Ludwig's Holy Blade is really good as it staggers her on each hit (you need to have a certain level of strength though), so you can stun lock her till your stamina runs dry.

Arcane is useless unless you put a lot of points in it. I'd say bring strength and/or dex to 50 depending on what weapon you use. Seeing as you use both Hunter's Axe and Ludwig's focus on strength first to 50, then bring up dex. More Vit and Stamina can never hurt too if you got point to spare. Don't go delving into bloodtinge and arcane anymore now though. The stat investment is just not worth it. If you have the DLC Whiriigig Saw is an excellent weapon for your build.

ColdPizza

Banned
Chalice Dungeon n00b question...

How can I tell which chalice dungeons i've alerady completed? I'm already lost in the naming here...can I create the same CD on another tombstone even if the other one is still active? I just don't want to waste chalice ingredients if I don't have to by accidentally duplicating one.

Experien

I used the Reiterpallasch and it staggered her, like most human enemies. You can parry her pretty easy, too. You'll have to learn delays though.
I killed her in my second try, so not much else I can say about her. I loved this fight!

You can parry them, but I had a hard time getting the timing right. The first one can be easily backstabbed after you unlocked the first shortcut with the ladder on the roof. The other one on top of the hill can be ignored. Run into the building with the lamp, expect to die trying ;)
The two fucks in the well though... if you want the Rakuyo you'll have to fight them You can use the Shaman Bone Knife when the second one drops from the ceiling.

Oh the first one by the well is super easy. If i don't use the explosions to kill him, I can still side-step him and kill him. The ones with the anchors are just...no. Seriously, it is the only thing in this game that seems UNBEATABLE. My gf asked why i would skip that battle in the game and when I told her that I don't see how that is a winnable fight with details she agreed.

Though, I do want the Rakuyo. The hanging one has it, so I have to quickly kill that guy. My plan is go from the ledge above and hope i can poison knife it and then use Cannon with bone marrow to finish it off, grab the sword and run or die with the sword.

But yes, once I decided to just run by that guy and up the hill, it was child's play. Want to finish with the rest of the stuff before going to that last DLC boss. Very excited.

Experien

sorry for the double post...

Just got the Blood Rock in the DLC (haven't gotten the one from the main game) and I am debating on which weapon to +10. Both of Ludwig's blades are ready for it and leaning towards Moonlight because I have a high strength. But haven't tried the Rayuoken yet so I don't know if that would be cool to use.

Also might save one for the Burial Blade cause I'm a fan of that thing.

There's no real trick to this fight in my experience. Learn her dodge patterns and try and riposte whenever you can. Untransformed R1 on Ludwig's Holy Blade is really good as it staggers her on each hit (you need to have a certain level of strength though), so you can stun lock her till your stamina runs dry.

Yep, that's what I did. After REALLY trying it, she was pretty easy except when she
did the stupid blood fire attacks
. It ended up feeling like one of the better boss fights.

grmlin

Oh the first one by the well is super easy. If i don't use the explosions to kill him, I can still side-step him and kill him. The ones with the anchors are just...no. Seriously, it is the only thing in this game that seems UNBEATABLE. My gf asked why i would skip that battle in the game and when I told her that I don't see how that is a winnable fight with details she agreed.

Though, I do want the Rakuyo. The hanging one has it, so I have to quickly kill that guy. My plan is go from the ledge above and hope i can poison knife it and then use Cannon with bone marrow to finish it off, grab the sword and run or die with the sword.

But yes, once I decided to just run by that guy and up the hill, it was child's play. Want to finish with the rest of the stuff before going to that last DLC boss. Very excited.

It is doable, of course :) But it may be one of the toughest enemies in game. I for example could never figure out how to avoid the "jump in you face" attack. It's like a cruise missile perfectly locked on to you.

Btw. Try to fight the first one until he leaves to call his friend. Use the shaman bone blade then, they'll attack each other and if you're lucky, only one dude with little health remains.

Experien

Btw. Try to fight the first one until he leaves to call his friend. Use the shaman bone blade then, they'll attack each other and if you're lucky, only one dude with little health remains.

Hmmm, that is an interesting tactic. I'll give it a try if my idea doesn't pan out well. Because the one time
I got the guy to leave to get his friend, as soon as they came around the corner, I was a goner. They both jumped at me.

ColdPizza

Banned
okay, this is pissing me off...going for the hunter's essence trophy and just got the beast claw but the trophy didn't pop...must have missed all of the base weapons. no problem, go to the store, where the fuck is the threaded cane and hunter's axe?

why can't i find them?

jonjonaug

okay, this is pissing me off...going for the hunter's essence trophy and just got the beast claw but the trophy didn't pop...must have missed all of the base weapons. no problem, go to the store, where the fuck is the threaded cane and hunter's axe?

why can't i find them?
The badge for those is near the pig in the Central Yharnam sewers IIRC.

Donos

Wtf...started PS4 but was too lazy to plug in Headphones, so i played mute and went to the next try of beating OoK (around 10th-12th try, NG+). Because of the complete silence i was so relaxed, that the fight was not that hard anymore and i only used 1 vial in phase one and had no big problems with phase 2. 7 vials left after he died. Usually it's "ohfuckohfuckohfuck" in Phase 2.

The music/sound really ads a lot drama and tension.
So many good hours with BB + DLC...
I think they already said that there won't be another DLC for BB didn't they. Guess i can sell my copy in peace then.

Donos

Okay, screw the 2nd boss in phtumeru defiled chalice. The war dog.
:)

Stick with it. Also, the next boss is going to take a few tries too :)

I see defiled chalice (and finishing up all off the other ones for the plat) still as the real challenge of BB.
Ludwig/OoK in defiled would break some dualshocks.

ColdPizza

Banned
:)

Stick with it. Also, the next boss is going to take a few tries too :)

I see defiled chalice (and finishing up all off the other ones for the plat) still as the real challenge of BB.
Ludwig/OoK in defiled would break some dualshocks.

Very small margin of error with the vitality restriction.

edit: finally beat him after like another 30 tries....lol. and i beat him with a gun shot and no vials left. yay.

I'm on NG+ and wanted to try out some weapons that I never used on my first playthrough. The first time through I mainly used the Saw Cleaver, Whirligig Saw, and Ludwig's Holy Blade. Amy suggestions for some other fun weapons? I'm thinking Blades of Mercy or Rakuyo.

Top Bottom