• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

grmlin

I have some difficulty with the boss
______Paarl Beast_____

Any tips ? I'm currently level 39, my highest stats are health, endurance and strength, and I got the Hendryk armor set.

Thanks

Try hitting the legs a lot. Once it collapses go all out to do as much damage as possible. When it gets up chase it and when it charges up try to get a charged attack on the front legs. That should make it collapse again and you now have it in a loop.

And fire paper! Paarl hates fire!

Try hitting the legs a lot. Once it collapses go all out to do as much damage as possible. When it gets up chase it and when it charges up try to get a charged attack on the front legs. That should make it collapse again and you now have it in a loop.

Thanks,
I nearly did it with the long axe I got Baarl at 5% health and I got killed because I got too impatient.

First time I nearly cried because of a game ;_;

JJShadow

Thanks,
I nearly did it with the long axe I got Baarl at 5% health and I got killed because I got too impatient.

First time I nearly cried because of a game ;_;

Try also to wear an attire with high bolt-resistance and if you're struggling too much, you can summon a NPC hunter right before the boss area to help you IIRC. He doesn't deal tons of damage, but it's a good distraction to keep Paarl entertained while you hit him hard lol

Holy crap Marias third form is rough my counter strategy with the one hand Ludwig works great till third form. Gonna take some tries I think. Might need to adjust runes to more bullets so I can cannon her third form.

I nearly got her my first try but I got too greedy and she landed the killing blow. Second time though, I just parried the shit out of her with Evelyn while using fire paper on my cane; I don't even know if she's weak to it, tbh. I just wanted to watch her burn.

And man oh man, wait until what you are in store for post-Maria :)

ColdPizza

Banned
Barring a sale on PSN, $19.99. Same for digital code via Amazon, etc..

Absolutely worth that price though. It's definitely a proper game expansion.

Cool. What's the trophy structure like on it? Any golds? Just about to platinum BB after 3 play throughs. Definitely like the game.

Holy shit the game is chock full of secrets.

I was like WTF when I discovered
_______Yahargul_____
completely randomly, same for the DLC area which explained
the big thing in the graveyard just next to the Odeon chapel
and now I
stumbled upon a secret cave full of poisonous water in the Forest and it leads to Iosefka clinic...
I can't wait to investigate.

Only regret is that the game really gives you absolutely no hints for the secrets.

Cool. What's the trophy structure like on it? Any golds? Just about to platinum BB after 3 play throughs. Definitely like the game.

6 Trophies; 4 Bronze, 1 Silver, 1 Gold. The Gold is for collecting all the unique weapons in The Old Hunters. The rest are story related.

And good on you for going for the plat! I would say that if you're close to platting the game via endings i.e. you'll need one of the ending trophies to finally get the platinum, that you hold off right before it and just go do the DLC. You can't access the DLC until you're about 1/3 way through the game
(you need to have beaten Amelia)
and grinding through to that point on a NG+ or higher can be a drag, plus there's the fact that the DLC can be brutal enough without having to deal with NG+ or higher enemies and bosses that just wreck you. I accidentally deleted my pre-ending boss save for BB that I had on a USB and had to access the DLC on NG+ and I'm managing fine, but definitely some rough difficulty spikes even though I'm technically way overleveled. It has still been an absolute blast though.

ColdPizza

Banned
6 Trophies; 4 Bronze, 1 Silver, 1 Gold. The Gold is for collecting all the unique weapons in The Old Hunters. The rest are story related.

And good on you for going for the plat! I would say that if you're close to platting the game via endings i.e. you'll need one of the ending trophies to finally get the platinum, that you hold off right before it and just go do the DLC. You can't access the DLC until you're about 1/3 way through the game
(you need to have beaten Amelia)
and grinding through to that point on a NG+ or higher can be a drag, plus there's the fact that the DLC can be brutal enough without having to deal with NG+ or higher enemies and bosses that just wreck you. I accidentally deleted my pre-ending boss save for BB that I had on a USB and had to access the DLC on NG+ and I'm managing fine, but definitely some rough difficulty spikes even though I'm technically way overleveled. It has still been an absolute blast though.

Actually my remaining trophy is the chalice dungeon boss, and I'm stuck on the phtumerian descendant at level 1. Out of town on vacation tho so I'll be waiting. My save is set up so I'm at the last boss but I already have all the ending trophies.

Actually my remaining trophy is the chalice dungeon boss, and I'm stuck on the phtumerian descendant at level 1. Out of town on vacation tho so I'll be waiting. My save is set up so I'm at the last boss but I already have all the ending trophies.

Ah, you're in the Great Pthumeru Ihyll Chalice then? Not nearly as stressful as Defiled Chalice bosses, but can still be a pain. The PD moves so damn fast too. I just got lucky repeatedly staggering him and making sure my cane had Arcane applied with the Empty Phantasm Shell. If Blades of Mercy were +10 I would've probably gone with that but alas...

Still, given that you've played through BB enough to see the endings tells me you're into what its selling, and in that respect I think you'll love The Old Hunters.

ColdPizza

Banned
Ah, you're in the Great Pthumeru Ihyll Chalice then? Not nearly as stressful as Defiled Chalice bosses, but can still be a pain. The PD moves so damn fast too. I just got lucky repeatedly staggering him and making sure my cane had Arcane applied with the Empty Phantasm Shell. If Blades of Mercy were +10 I would've probably gone with that but alas...

Still, given that you've played through BB enough to see the endings tells me you're into what its selling, and in that respect I think you'll love The Old Hunters.

Yah, I'm in that dungeon. I make it a policy to try to platinum games that I love. So I want to stick this one out. PD was moving crazy fast for me to parry him so my lastest tactic has been to roll towards him when he attacks. It works pretty well as I end up behind him and can swipe, but when I get to phase 2 when he dual wields I find myself getting jacked hard by him. Lol.

Just beat the game! The final
final
boss was a bit of a letdown compared to the previous fight. Fight against
Gerhman
was fucking epic. The scenery, the music....all rocked my world. I'm sad the ending itself was boring as shit and lazy feeling. But all in all, still an amazing game.

ColdPizza

Banned
Just beat the game! The final
final
boss was a bit of a letdown compared to the previous fight. Fight against
Gerhman
was fucking epic. The scenery, the music....all rocked my world. I'm sad the ending itself was boring as shit and lazy feeling. But all in all, still an amazing game.

That being said, can someone explain
the "real" ending with the moon beast?

Jrmint

That being said, can someone explain
the "real" ending with the moon beast?
You resist the moon beast's attempt to force you into servitude in the dream (basically what Gehrman was doing) and become an infant great one.
You should watch VaatiVidya's explanation of the Bloodborne story, it's extremely well done.

JJShadow

Well, just beated
Ebrietas, and I found her quite dissapointing in terms of difficulty lol Seems to be one of the hardest bosses for a vast number of people, but I defeated her in my second try without too much trouble. I just kept close to her right side and it went down pretty fast with Ludwig + bolt paper

Sulik2

Egads Orphan of Kos is tough. I thought Maria's third form was rough but Kos is is insane. He is so fast, tracks like crazy and has an insane amount of health. Feels like fighting manus again except now I have to farm vials. Arg

silva1991

I got bored with DS3 and went back to BB(mainly because of the shitty covenant items farming)

Ludwig at BL4 is a bitch.

Egads Orphan of Kos is tough. I thought Maria's third form was rough but Kos is is insane. He is so fast, tracks like crazy and has an insane amount of health. Feels like fighting manus again except now I have to farm vials. Arg

Yup, OoK is the enemy of blood vials period. no other boss in this game forced me to farm vials as much. still a great boss tho.

I beat him just a few moments ago. Cane +10 & Evelyn +8; Runes: Clawmark 30%, Clockwise Metamorphosis 15%, and Odeon Writhe (+3 QS on Visceral attacks).

When OoK jumps, dodge behind it and get some hits in. When it charges you with its "low to the ground, digging its weapon into the ground" move, parry it and get a visceral in. In its final phase it was really about keeping my distance and getting a few hits in on the rare occasion it does another jump move towards me. I was only able to gun parry it once during that phase but it still helped a ton.

As for those runes, I got them all from chalice dungeon codes I found in the Bloodborne wiki. The Metamorphosis 15% and Odeon Write are both in the same dungeon, first layer, without even needing to deal with a boss. Pretty nice.

ashylarry

Hey I want to lvl up a bit more and want to do some echo farming. I would prefer some chalice dungeons, like great ihyll or smth like that. So hit me up if you want to join me, since it will be alot faster with more players.
PSN: Hieronymus14959

silva1991

Ludwig second phase is the anti BL4

holy hell.

I remember people complaining about Chalice Dungeons being a bad grind. After farming bunch of Covenant items in DS3 I laugh at those complaints.

Haha, dungeons item drops are like your regular blood shards compared to covenant items in DS3

mimic helmet+luck axe(luck build)+crystal mage sword left hand+serpent ring+gold and silver coins = 450+ item discovery

yet I only get 1 or 2 covenant items from silver knights

fuck that shit.

Binabik15

After getting my head bashed in several times by a giant in the
Charnel Lane
after managing to lure an Executioner inside a room I thought was safe and dying to him and a hag throwing molotovs I whimped out and decided to retreat. I went to the boss from the area before for the first time and killed it on the first try! Take THAT
Amelia
!!! I managed to stagger the boss by attacking the legs several times, but never got a visceral out of it...yeah, I suck at this.

Anyhow, spent the echoes on a level and a new gun, then I kept dying to frenzy when going out from that lamp. Urgh. Enough for today.

Simply posting because I don't get how I can die to the ONLY enemies I can normally parry without too much trouble, then defeat a boss solo on the first try, then get my butt handed to me again. Urgh.

Sulik2

I downed Orphan of Kos yesterday afternoon. Dang that was a fun fight. Uploaded it to youtube for kicks and giggles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBOuBBNSm4k

Got on a role today, finished Abhorrent Beast in Loran, Celestian Emessary in Iszl, Mergo's Wet Nurse and
Gerhman

I think I'm gonna do a NG+ run so I can get the real ending this time.

chefbags

Just got the bloodborne dlc, and my brother on his account (US account, I live in CA) can't access the dlc. Only can grab the old hunters bell and can't see the eye of the blood drunken nightmare item. Is there a known fix for this? Or does my brother just has to do to NG+ to beat vicar Amelia again?

Thanks in advance. Brother is super pissed that he can't access it so any help would be welcome.

Robot Pants

Just got the bloodborne dlc, and my brother on his account (US account, I live in CA) can't access the dlc. Only can grab the old hunters bell and can't see the eye of the blood drunken nightmare item. Is there a known fix for this? Or does my brother just has to do to NG+ to beat vicar Amelia again?

Thanks in advance. Brother is super pissed that he can't access it so any help would be welcome.

Yea if you've already beaten Vicar Amelia on your current playthrough the item should be there. Unless you've already started NG+ then you'd have to beat her again.

ChrisD

Took a loooong break after making it to Old Yharnam back in.... January? The machine gun was getting on my nerves and I missed and walked right past the stairs to the tower. So there was just this omnipresent machine gun firing at me. It was stressful, it was no fun.

Well, this past Friday something made me say, "Hey, I haven't played Bloodborne in a long time," and so I came back. I found that machine gun firing sucker this time, and I took him down. Literally, he died by falling off the tower lol.

That made exploration something I actually looked forward to again. I went through a ton of paths checking every nook-and-cranny, and took down
Blood-starved Beast
(just in case anyone else who hasn't played the game is reading). It took me four tries, but the victory was sweet as I had ZERO Blood Vials or Antidotes left, and my health was a little over what one of the boss' weak attack deals. Basically I was on pins and needles, so I said screw it, lit my weapon with my last Fire Paper, and went to town hoping it would deal enough. And it did! They died just before swiping at me. Man my heart was pounding.

Did I screw up in using all four of my fire papers (one per attempt)? I thought I could buy them for some reason, but they aren't in the shop. Hopefully I didn't just pull a Master Ball on a Pidgey. :L

I just beat bloodborne and holy shit is was amazing, i havent posted in here yet because i wanted my first play through to be a blind one and im glad i did.
i even got the true ending which is amazing
Now im on new game plus and im going to do the DLC.

Took a loooong break after making it to Old Yharnam back in.... January? The machine gun was getting on my nerves and I missed and walked right past the stairs to the tower. So there was just this omnipresent machine gun firing at me. It was stressful, it was no fun.

Well, this past Friday something made me say, "Hey, I haven't played Bloodborne in a long time," and so I came back. I found that machine gun firing sucker this time, and I took him down. Literally, he died by falling off the tower lol.

That made exploration something I actually looked forward to again. I went through a ton of paths checking every nook-and-cranny, and took down
Blood-starved Beast
(just in case anyone else who hasn't played the game is reading). It took me four tries, but the victory was sweet as I had ZERO Blood Vials or Antidotes left, and my health was a little over what one of the boss' weak attack deals. Basically I was on pins and needles, so I said screw it, lit my weapon with my last Fire Paper, and went to town hoping it would deal enough. And it did! They died just before swiping at me. Man my heart was pounding.

Did I screw up in using all four of my fire papers (one per attempt)? I thought I could buy them for some reason, but they aren't in the shop. Hopefully I didn't just pull a Master Ball on a Pidgey. :L

No worries, as you can buy fire paper after getting a certain hunter badge, or use insight to get it. Personally, I save the insight to grab all the armor that unlocks, then upgrade materials late game.

Knocking that bozo off is probably the best plan. :) I've beat him in a straight fight, but more often than not, he'll just dodge and kill himself, so screw it. I get off the ladder, and gun him down now.

Is there a way to avoid Orphan of Kos' projectile attack? In which he tosses something at you which explodes on the ground? I beat him awhile back but I was never able to dodge this attack.

Raptor

Yah, I'm in that dungeon. I make it a policy to try to platinum games that I love. So I want to stick this one out. PD was moving crazy fast for me to parry him so my lastest tactic has been to roll towards him when he attacks. It works pretty well as I end up behind him and can swipe, but when I get to phase 2 when he dual wields I find myself getting jacked hard by him. Lol.

Dont roll, instead dash towards him and to his left when he does an attack, you get behind him all the time and can strike him that way, the tactic to kill him is similar to how to kill Aborrent beast, a exercise of patience and reflexes.

Or you can be a badass and parry his ass all the time tho, it can be done, I couldnt.

ChrisD

No worries, as you can buy fire paper after getting a certain hunter badge, or use insight to get it. Personally, I save the insight to grab all the armor that unlocks, then upgrade materials late game.

Knocking that bozo off is probably the best plan. :) I've beat him in a straight fight, but more often than not, he'll just dodge and kill himself, so screw it. I get off the ladder, and gun him down now.

That's good to know. It also made me look for this Insight Shop you spoke of. I've never seen that fountain until today. Wish it was already stocked though, since this V
icar
A
melia
boss is taking me way too long to kill. I get too impatient against big bosses if my attacks don't deal much.

I think I screwed up my early levels, as I was putting a lot in Skill and Bloodtinge for my Cane and Gun. But ever since I got the Hammer that's what I use, and I don't think it gets much from Skill. And my gun still sucks. So even though my Strength is now pretty good, my Health and Stamina are lacking and levels are expensive.

While exploring around I got killed in one shot by a sack carrying guy who warped me to a completely different area. I thought it was part of the storyline, but once I realized that all the enemies were two-shotting me I figured something was off. Got to the lantern and yeeeep.
Area 3.
If I didn't lose 15k Echoes while getting there it would have been cool, but... Yeah. Losing nearly two levels was annoying. The sack guys who are now showing up all over the world is like the icing on the "screw you" cake.

Raptor

That's good to know. It also made me look for this Insight Shop you spoke of. I've never seen that fountain until today. Wish it was already stocked though, since this V
icar
A
melia
boss is taking me way too long to kill. I get too impatient against big bosses if my attacks don't deal much.

I think I screwed up my early levels, as I was putting a lot in Skill and Bloodtinge for my Cane and Gun. But ever since I got the Hammer that's what I use, and I don't think it gets much from Skill. And my gun still sucks. So even though my Strength is now pretty good, my Health and Stamina are lacking and levels are expensive.

While exploring around I got killed in one shot by a sack carrying guy who warped me to a completely different area. I thought it was part of the storyline, but once I realized that all the enemies were two-shotting me I figured something was off. Got to the lantern and yeeeep.
Area 3.
If I didn't lose 15k Echoes while getting there it would have been cool, but... Yeah. Losing nearly two levels was annoying. The sack guys who are now showing up all over the world is like the icing on the "screw you" cake.

Try to Level up as much as you can Health, put everything on it, while levelling your weapon too, once you get confortable maybe at 30+ health you can start putting into your weapon of choice stat and stamina.

Is more important to level you weapon up than your main stat for it early on.

AlexBasch

Uhh, should I have followed a guide for leveling up or is there a way to improve armor? I just beat
Shadows of Ynarham
or whatever it's written and it was difficult because most of their attacks would take out like 40% of my health.

Now I'm in the following area and I can only take two hits before dying. Is it normal to be this weak? :|

Uhh, should I have followed a guide for leveling up or is there a way to improve armor? I just beat
Shadows of Ynarham
or whatever it's written and it was difficult because most of their attacks would take out like 40% of my health.

Now I'm in the following area and I can only take two hits before dying. Is it normal to be this weak? :|

Avoiding attacks is key, so just practice dodging the enemies in each area. Failing that, 30 vitality is very nice for NG to give yourself some survivability. Defense goes up as you gain stat points, but all the armor is pretty much "light", and is give and take as far as resistances to the various damage types.
So pretty much dodge attacks, have a good amount of health, and wear what looks good, unless you need a specific type of damage resistance for a boss fight (arcane, fire, blood, etc).

myco666

Shadows of Ynarham

That sounds like you have really low Vitality which should be your highest stat at that point. Get it close to 30 or little bit above and you will be set for the rest of the game.

AlexBasch

I have 20. Well darn, no wonder why I kept getting one or two shotted sometimes, haha.

I'm playing this blind so I have no idea what Bloodtinge and Arcane stats are, just leveled them to use a weapon and that's it. :|

I have 20. Well darn, no wonder why I kept getting one or two shotted sometimes, haha.

I'm playing this blind so I have no idea what Bloodtinge and Arcane stats are, just leveled them to use a weapon and that's it. :|

What is your main weapon? It's usually best to avoid arcane and bloodtinge, unless you have a build in mind, or want enough arcane to use a hunters tool(magic).

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
You guys ever go through Tumblr looking for bloodborne fan art? I know DS3 came out but all I want is a single trailer right now for BB2. Just a confirmation and a cool weapon. Anyway, found some cool fan weapon designs by this person called Daemonstar. Anywho, got me thinking BB really needs some more varied offhand weapons outside of guns. Fist of Gratia is a good start, but kinda garbage.

bloodborne_fanart___ravenclaw_weapon_idea_by_daemonstar-d8v2ul1.jpg

bloodborne_fanart___fleshreaver_weapon_idea_by_daemonstar-d8pj852.jpg

bloodborne_fanart___silverlight_weapon_idea_by_daemonstar-d8pf2lj.jpg

bloodborne_fanart___lanternflail_weapon_idea_by_daemonstar-d8pjvx3.jpg

ChrisD

Try to Level up as much as you can Health, put everything on it, while levelling your weapon too, once you get confortable maybe at 30+ health you can start putting into your weapon of choice stat and stamina.

Is more important to level you weapon up than your main stat for it early on.

That's super helpful, thanks!

I had 17 at A
melia
hahaha. Finally beat them once I got it up to 22 and found the item that let me buy Fire Paper. Also I somehow landed a Visceral Attack. Not actually sure what I did, but it works with me.

For a game that people had me believing was super skill-based (like, to the point where it's all on you), stats sure change things! I'm feeling much stronger with 25 Vitality and a +5 Weapon. I love it because it brings the gameplay more in-line with how I play Monster Hunter. Before it was a game of don't get hit once or you're dead, no chances to heal, even. Now it's a play carefully, but do take risks when you see the opportunity since you can heal the damage back up with quick enough counter-attacking.

ChrisD

Okay why did I just see friggin'
aliens
in the Forbidden Woods, what happened. And why do they have
laser beams
whhyyyy.

There's weird things going on all over the place, but it's just kind of standard horror stuff. Not
aliens

Okay why did I just see friggin'
aliens
in the Forbidden Woods, what happened. And why do they have
laser beams
whhyyyy.

There's weird things going on all over the place, but it's just kind of standard horror stuff. Not
aliens

Oh man to play Bloodborne again as a new and fresh experience. Ain't nothing quite like it.

OT: There are indeed weird
fiction
things afoot, my friend. If you're already in the woods, then you've likely encountered a few items whose descriptions will fill in some of the gaps.

Yay. Got platinum. I guess a week away from the game helped me.

Congrats! How'd you like the final chalice dungeon boss?

Recently started a second playthrough. Up to
Gehrman
now and doing the chalice dungeons. I really don't like the grinding for chalice dungeon items. But I will persevere and get the platinum!

ColdPizza

Banned
Oh man to play Bloodborne again as a new and fresh experience. Ain't nothing quite like it.

OT: There are indeed weird
fiction
things afoot, my friend. If you're already in the woods, then you've likely encountered a few items whose descriptions will fill in some of the gaps.

Congrats! How'd you like the final chalice dungeon boss?

Thought she was a pushover after everything else I've faced. I also hate crying babies.

Overall this was an excellent game, although I basically understood little of the actual story. My first Souls experience.

Top Bottom